Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   MMA (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The BJ Penn Rule (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2659)

MattHughesRocks 08-20-2009 01:02 AM

The BJ Penn Rule

THE "B.J. PENN RULE" NOW IN EFFECT IN NEVADA
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

“Greasegate” has made its first imprint on the Nevada State Athletic Commission rulebook.

In a meeting held Wednesday in Las Vegas, the NSAC approved language prohibiting the use of foreign substances on a fighter’s body prior to or during a fight that “could result in an unfair advantage.”

Dubbed by a commission official as the “B.J. Penn Rule,” the use of foreign substances will now be added to a list of “fouls” in the Nevada Administrative Code that address tactics illegal to fighters, such as eye gouging, small joint manipulation, or biting.

Controversy surrounding the use of Vaseline at UFC 94 threatened to overshadow welterweight champion St. Pierre’s dominating fourth round win over lightweight champion Penn.

Penn’s lawyer, Raffi Nahabedian, was present at the meeting and said the change was an important step in preventing future controversy.

“The rule change is great because it’s better than nothing,” Nahabedian told MMAWeekly.com afterwards. “The official can now make the assessment that this is a foul. So it’s even better than before.”

Nahabedian also suggested a rule during the meeting that would provide fighters a shower prior to their bouts, asserting that athletes could take “pre-bout baths in oil” to gain an unfair advantage against opponents. The commission said they would take the matter under future consideration.

“I think that the commission eventually is going to have to become even more technical in this area and add the pre-bout shower,” said Nahabedian. ”You have athletes that are willing to do anything to attain the fame and money that comes with bouts at this level... it’s something they’re going to need to do.”

The commission’s action on foreign substances appeared to be a reversal in tone from a March hearing in which they took no formal action following spirited testimony from Penn’s camp and representatives for St. Pierre.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer said the rule could take up to 30 days to take effect.

Representatives for St. Pierre were unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9411&zoneid=2

adamt 08-20-2009 01:52 AM

if both people were allowed to do it, then it wouldn't be an unfair advantage. It would be neither unfair, nor an advantage. Unless you consider it takes away the grappling edge more than it would take away a strikers edge. I say make it legal and see what happens.

Then you'd have guys taking bottles of baby powder in with them to get some grip on their opponents. Which isn't a bad idea really.

MattHughesRocks 08-20-2009 02:27 AM

I just hope it's something used once in awhile and not every 10 seconds like in other sports. Talk about losing interest :unsure:

KENTUCKYREDBONE 08-20-2009 05:08 AM

If you think your the better striker going up against a feared Grappler I can see where being slick may give you an advantage.

Bonnie 08-20-2009 06:45 AM

It sounds like a good start.

County Mike 08-20-2009 11:16 AM

When the BJ/GSP fight happened, it wasn't illegal to grease your body. The rule was written something like "A fighter should not have EXCESSIVE grease on his face or body". It didn't say you couldn't have ANY grease on your body. I think it was generally understood but technically GSP didn't do anything against the rules.

Now - if a fighter greases his body, it would be illegal.

Oil bath prior to fight, still OK.

rearnakedchoke 08-20-2009 01:26 PM

I wonder if BJ's mom was present at the hearing also ... LOL ...

Max 08-20-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike
When the BJ/GSP fight happened, it wasn't illegal to grease your body. The rule was written something like "A fighter should not have EXCESSIVE grease on his face or body". It didn't say you couldn't have ANY grease on your body. I think it was generally understood but technically GSP didn't do anything against the rules.

Now - if a fighter greases his body, it would be illegal.

Oil bath prior to fight, still OK.

an oil bath is not still ok and what GSP did was not ok. had it been ok the commission would not have said something during the fight about it.

Crisco 08-20-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
an oil bath is not still ok and what GSP did was not ok. had it been ok the commission would not have said something during the fight about it.

T minus 10 to Horse beating BJ nuttery saying BJ could have won had it not been for a few bit of vaseline :tongue0011:

que 08-20-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisco
T minus 10 to Horse beating BJ nuttery saying BJ could have won had it not been for a few bit of vaseline :tongue0011:

i'm pretty sure max has said a couple hundred times that the vaseline did not change the outcome of the fight, but that doesn't change the fact that it was wrong