Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Serra not retired, wants Hughes rematch (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2633)

que 08-17-2009 08:15 AM

Serra not retired, wants Hughes rematch

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight titleholder Matt Serra wants a rematch with Matt Hughes and fights against opponents with names cemented in the industry.

"I had a talk with Joe Silva (UFC matchmaker) and we talked about some interesting things," Serra told MMAWeekly.com recently. "I was definitely first pushing for a rematch. That would be ideal for me. I'd love to fight Matt Hughes again. I told him, 'look man, you've already got the name for it, “Unfinished Business.” There you go.'

“Throw on (Wanderlei) Silva and (Rich) Franklin; that was a close fight. What else was a close fight? I don't know, put something on there that the fights were entertaining. Me and Hughes, we got the fight of the night.

“I'm not going to sit here and bad mouth the guy because we did fight. I'm not going to attack him personally, but at the same time I do feel I won that fight, or at least I should have got the nod. If not, it's a draw and let's do it again."

The Serra and Hughes rivalry has been well documented, reaching a head when they were opposing coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter" Season 6. Serra lost to Hughes by decision when they finally met in the Octagon at UFC 98 on May 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Reflecting on that hard-fought battle, Serra said, "I thought it came down to that last round. And he might have been on top of me longer, but definitely the 30 seconds I was on top of him, or 40 seconds, what ever it is, I definitely landed more than he did probably the whole fight. I landed more power shots at least. I landed two or three shots that definitely connected with him when I was on top of him at the end, not to mention the big throw. I thought I won the first and third rounds. I'm not alone in that.

"I think we should do it again," he added. "Why not? I think it would be fun for everybody."

Serra expects to compete again this year and is eager for his next fight, but the Renzo Gracie black belt wants a full training camp to prepare. "I told Joe Silva, 'look man, let's talk about it, it's just that I need a two and a half month to three month period to be were I want. That's what I like to train. That's how I like to do it. I felt so good in my last fight that that's the recipe for the rest of my fights. That's what I'm doing. As soon as you've got a date and you know what's up, just give me that window of two and a half month - three month training camp.' So that's it. The ball is in their court, and we're going to talk about it. I'm not done, that's for sure."

Asked if the UFC has ruled out the possibility of a rematch with Hughes, the 35-year-old fighter commented, "No. And you know what's funny is I was talking a little bit with Joe the other day and he wasn't, but then he brought up another name.”

Serra wouldn’t reveal the other name, but MMAWeekly.com sources have been floating Matt Brown as a possible next opponent for Serra. It doesn’t sound like Brown is the type of opponent that the former UFC welterweight champion is looking for.

"I've made my whole career fighting whoever they put in front of me, and that hasn't really changed, but it has to be kind of exciting now. You know what I mean? I've got to see my name up there with someone else where I'm like, ‘Whew. I'd want to see that as a fight fan myself. I like that match up, and I like that name. He's a legend.’ I want that type of thing around it. That's what I want," continued the New York resident.

"A new guy is just as tough as some of these other guys, so it's like why not at this stage of my career fight guys that, your name is up there, like when they had me versus Hughes. That was exciting. That's what I'm looking for. I know Frank Trigg is back in the mix. That would be interesting.

"I want a fight that on paper is exciting as hell and a name that's like a cemented name where it's like ah, that's a fight I've been wanting to see."

But most of all, Serra wants that rematch with Hughes.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9388&zoneid=1

Bonnie 08-17-2009 08:48 AM

Serra is totally delusional! "I won that fight...or a draw" :wacko:

If DW were to put this to Matt, I hope he would say NO!

County Mike 08-17-2009 11:57 AM

Who is this "Serra" guy again?

ufcfan2 08-17-2009 12:33 PM

:wacko: I think its time for Serra to move on and fight someone else;Hallman,stun gun,yoshida or someone like that or how 'bout Pete Sell...

County Mike 08-17-2009 01:47 PM

I don't know what Serra's contract is but I doubt UFC fans are that interested in him. His only claim to fame is bad mouthing Hughes and a fluke win over GSP. GSP dominated him in the rematch. Hughes dominated him for 3 rounds. Shonie Carter knocked him out with a backfist. Other than that, what is he known for?

VCURamFan 08-17-2009 02:05 PM

I still don't get how he thinks he won that fight. The only "offense" he had in the 1st for the illegal head-butt/punch to the back of the head. Once Matt went down, he never capitalized on anything & Matt then ended up taking him down, taking his back & almost choking him out before the bell. In the third, Matt got on top of him & controled the entire round until the last 30-45sec. As for that "beautiful throw" that he used, Matt had already tossed him with that twice in the fight, so it's not like it was some rare gem.

adamt 08-17-2009 02:20 PM

baroni vs serra, let the chowder heads knock each other out

rearnakedchoke 08-17-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I still don't get how he thinks he won that fight. The only "offense" he had in the 1st for the illegal head-butt/punch to the back of the head. Once Matt went down, he never capitalized on anything & Matt then ended up taking him down, taking his back & almost choking him out before the bell. In the third, Matt got on top of him & controled the entire round until the last 30-45sec. As for that "beautiful throw" that he used, Matt had already tossed him with that twice in the fight, so it's not like it was some rare gem.

your sig says it all anyways ... you shoulda saved yourself sometyping and just said "please see sig"

Llamafighter 08-17-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamt
baroni vs serra, let the chowder heads knock each other out

YES!!

This guy is nuts. He did not win the first round. The only damage he did was via an inadvertant headbutt, and Hughes still took him down and recovered.
The only reason I'd want to see thsi fight again is to see Hughes knock him out. I believe Matt would have had he not gotten caught and rattled by that headbutt.
I think they could push the Matt Brown as revenge for the beating that Brown put on Sell.

Who makes those sort of demands coming off a loss anyways.
"I'm not alone in that" yeah Longo thought so, Sell thought so,...

Krupp 08-17-2009 03:55 PM

You know what rematch with Serra I wanna SEE? Lytle vs Serra 2. I still believe that Lytle won that fight. Lytle would beat him into a bloody pulp now.

DANA MAKE THIS REMATCH HAPPEN