Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Please Dana, NO!! (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2606)

VCURamFan 08-14-2009 02:14 PM

Please Dana, NO!!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/upd...k-to-ufc-19091

Quote:

Phil Baroni has verbally agreed to a contract with the UFC, according to a source close to the fighter. The veteran welterweight’s potential signing will undoubtedly raise a few eyebrows as well as shed some light on the brewing feud between the UFC and rival promotion Strikeforce.

According to an MMAJunkie.com report, the UFC has also signed Dennis Hallman, another former Strikeforce fighter. A source close to the UFC intimated more signings might be on the horizon as fighters complete their Strikeforce contracts.

"We wish Phil the best of luck and hope he can revive his career,'' Strikeforce Founder and CEO Scott Coker said in a release Thursday. "If he can, maybe one day, he can return and fight for us."

Strikeforce consultant Bob Cook confirmed to Sherdog.com that Baroni was released from his Strikeforce contract in the past few days and would be free to sign with another promotion.

Baroni (13-11) dropped a unanimous decision to Joe Riggs in St. Louis in June. He had won three bouts in a row before the loss.
What, is he just planning on buying out all the SF fighters until the promotion goes under & then releasing them again?

VCURamFan 08-14-2009 02:15 PM

What, him too?

Quote:

Thursday, August 13 12:00 am PT: The “Janitor” is in: the UFC announced Wednesday that onetime heavyweight and light-heavyweight contender Vladimir Matyushenko is scheduled to return to the organization at UFC 103 in Dallas, Texas on September 19. Matyushenko is scheduled to face Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic disciple Igor Pokrajac. And here you envied Bruce Buffer’s job.

The case for his employment: Fairly active since being KOed by Andrei Arlovski in his last UFC appearance, the Belarusian has done virtually nothing but maul people, with only one loss since 2003. (Fortunately, that loss came against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in Affliction, guaranteeing that virtually no one saw it.)

The case against: the 205 lb. division needs another wrestling-centric athlete (on top of Mark Coleman, Rashad Evans, Jake O’Brien, Matt Hamill, Dan Henderson, Jon Jones, and Tito Ortiz) like it needs Richard Simmons to suit up. I guess Dan Gable will be happy.

Llamafighter 08-14-2009 02:23 PM

Look on the bright side. Now we can watch Phil get his @$$ kicked by really good fighters. It will be beautiful! Probably has something to do with him working out at Xtreme Couture now.
I'd love to see Hughes throw him a beating!

VCURamFan 08-14-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Look on the bright side. Now we can watch Phil get his @$$ kicked by really good fighters. It will be beautiful! Probably has something to do with him working out at Xtreme Couture now.
I'd love to see Hughes throw him a beating!

Hahaha. As funny as that would be, it's about as pointless has a third Hallman or Trigg fight. What can Baroni offer to Matt's career. What can he offer to anyone's career?

You watch, they'll give him to Dan Hardy & it'll be like Bisping/Sinosec all over again. "Hey, he used to be a great gatekeeper 5yrs ago, let's see if this new guy can beat him now!"

Chuck 08-14-2009 02:45 PM

Well Dana is also cutting other fighters (like the thread you started) who will probably end up at Strikeforce (Thales) so I don't think this is an effort to weaken Strikeforce at all. But that's my thoughts.... could be wrong...

Josh 08-14-2009 03:55 PM

Matyushenko could be interesting. Baroni is a joke...

VCURamFan 08-14-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh
Matyushenko could be interesting. Baroni is a joke...

Yeah, I guess. I did some research into his record & he's actually done pretty well recently. Ever since he lost to AA in '04 (UFC 44), he beat 8 straight (including Tim Boetsch & Alex Schoenauer), lost the Lil' Nog, then took out Jason Lambert. Not such a bad pick-up as I had thought, but I was just afraid this was turning into Night of the Living Dead Careers.:ninja:

Josh 08-14-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Yeah, I guess. I did some research into his record & he's actually done pretty well recently. Ever since he lost to AA in '04 (UFC 44), he beat 8 straight (including Tim Boetsch & Alex Schoenauer), lost the Lil' Nog, then took out Jason Lambert. Not such a bad pick-up as I had thought, but I was just afraid this was turning into Night of the Living Dead Careers.:ninja:

I don't expect him to be making a run for the belt but I would call him a solid B-level fighter.

VCURamFan 08-14-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh
I don't expect him to be making a run for the belt but I would call him a solid B-level fighter.

If nothing else, he should be a better pick-up than Baroni or Hallman!

Crisco 08-14-2009 06:40 PM

I like watching Baroni fight he is usually pretty exciting.