Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BJ PENN CAMP UPDATE (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234)

TDPARKASH 02-04-2009 03:03 AM

BJ PENN CAMP UPDATE

It has been a little over 24 hours since last nights UFC 94 and Team Penn just landed back in Hawaii. In between my travels back home I was soaking up everything everyone has been saying online and in the media. Literally digging for hours on the UG, the SB nation, here on BJPENN.COM, and the rest of the internets MMA community.

As I promised in my last blog , I have some insider information to share with you all in hopes to answer some of the lingering question on everyones mind. There were a few things that JD wanted me to pass on to you guys on behalf of the Team.

First off, everyone should know BJ is doing just fine. "A few bumps and bruises, but nothing major" said JD Penn. More then the physical, "Its his heart and spirit that are hurt." he told me.

Secondly, in light of the recent "GSP VASELINE" controversy floating around JD has issued the following statement.

"We will be filing a formal complaint on Monday against the NSAC and GSP's cornerman." "We are not trying to make excuses, GSP was the better fighter that night, we just wish his cornerman didn't cheat by rubbing vaseline on his back." "Everyone is putting a lot of time and money in too making this sport legit, for someone to do this only hurts the credibility of the sport."

So there you have it guys, no excuses coming out of BJ's camp. George did a great job last night. Noone is trying to take that away from him. There are more underlying issues here in regards to the overall protocol displayed when dealing with rule violations of this nature and that is the issue JD and the rest of Team Penn hope to get resolved for the betterment of the sport.

You can all expect to hear from BJ soon. For now thats all I have for you!

www.bjpenn.com

They don't sound like they are making excuses, and have acknowledged that GSP was the better fighter that night. Two quick points on this: (1) Despite all BJ's trash talking, he isn't using this as a way to explain his loss (2) GSP has the potential to be one of the best fighters that have ever stepped foot in the octogan, too bad that this might discredit his true abilities to date. All jokes aside, as MMA fans we might never see another GSP and BJ Penn fighting at the same time frame for a long time.

CHITOWNHUGHESFAN 02-04-2009 04:25 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad BJ is doing well. Hope the light shines brightly on this issue. Due to other fights and other fighters having complained of this in the past. Need to fix this now so MMA fights are free of this issue. All the best to BJ Penn.

MattHughesRocks 02-04-2009 05:43 AM

They should just ban it in the octagon.Have the Doc put it on them before they go on, and if they need it for their faces in between rounds have it tossed over into the octagon from the side with the cameras on to make sure it only goes on there face. It's so simple,duh.

Crisco 02-04-2009 11:36 AM

Yea but BJ still knowing GSP dominated him and then saying you cheated but I would have lost anyway clouds GSP's win and works in BJ's favor anyway.

Didn't they whipe the vaseline off when he "realized what he was doing"

rockdawg21 02-04-2009 12:56 PM

"We're filing a complaint, but we're not trying to make excuses." :banghead: :sign0090:

Max 02-04-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21
"We're filing a complaint, but we're not trying to make excuses." :banghead: :sign0090:

they are not saying they lost because of the vaseline. They admit GSP was the better fighter that night. They are filing the complaint so the issue will be addressed and it will not happen again.

There is a simple way to handle this. The only person who is allowed to touch vaseline during the fight is the cut man. If anyone else is caught with it they are removed from ring side and if they apply it to a fighter that fighter gets a point taken away.

rockdawg21 02-04-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max
they are not saying they lost because of the vaseline. They admit GSP was the better fighter that night. They are filing the complaint so the issue will be addressed and it will not happen again.

There is a simple way to handle this. The only person who is allowed to touch vaseline during the fight is the cut man. If anyone else is caught with it they are removed from ring side and if they apply it to a fighter that fighter gets a point taken away.

I like that :)

NateR 02-04-2009 03:08 PM

Whoever thought that someday Matt Hughes and BJ Penn would be on the same side of any controversy? Throw Matt Serra in on their side as well and I think we have one of the signs of the Apocalypse. :laugh:

TDPARKASH 02-04-2009 03:56 PM

Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max

KevinD 02-04-2009 04:36 PM

I think BJ is handling this well. From what was said in this update, it is showing BJ to be a pretty gracious loser.

The Vaseline is not just a "whoopsie mistake". Its a major foul. I hope the comission comes out with something difinitive so this type of cheating does not make its way into the cage again.