Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Intro/Thank You. (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904)

thekevineri 06-07-2009 07:36 PM

Intro/Thank You.

Well let me start by saying, I've been a huge hughes fan for a few years now, and i've sometimes lurked in the shadows on these forums while sitting at work, but not until now have i ever felt i had something to contribute.

I'm a US Marine, and i've been serving since before i graduated high school in 2005. My first Duty station was camp Pendleton CA, where I stayed from 2005-2007. From there I had a place in Temecula, where i occasionally trained with Cory Cass.

In October of 2007 I got sent to Okinawa Japan, and little did i know, that place would turn my life upside down...

I kept myself in pretty good shape, but kind of fell out of the loop on MMA and the like, because i didnt have a TV, and because i didnt have anyone to roll with. About a year passed, and then i met some friends who liked to Grappel and liked to wrestle. We started up an all Marine after work grappeling tournement every thursday after working hours, and it grew. Eventually cardboard title belts were handed out, and me and my friend Jake were the only two that passed it off from week to week. Eventually i wound up with cracked ribs and fell out of that.

Jake, later found a place out in town where the local Japanese comepeted and would let the Americans come out and try their skill. I never really got to deep into a 'formal' training, other then looking on technique websites, and growing up getting beat up by my brother and sister. Long story short, my first fight i wound up getting clocked in the mouth by a stray shot and was out. I was awake before i hit the ground, so it was more of a knock down then a knock out, and the reff still called it... whatever.

But that set a fire under me, and all i did was train train train... until i started having severe pain in my groin area and lower back. I went to the docs on November 27 and went into surgery where they... well, ill be blunt... they took my right nut. From there i was put on bed rest and told to come back on Dec 31st for the pathology report.

New years eve day rolls around and i went to see my doctor.. i had high spirits and was already talking to the stadium about my rematch...

I sat down, not as sore as i had been, and my doctor comes in stone faced and without expression... "You have embroynal carinoma stage two, with growths in your abdomen. We need to cut you open and take all your lymphnodes asap"

Wow. I had never been hit that hard in my life.

The surgery had some gnarly side effects, and the like which i had wanted nothing to do with, and i hesitantly asked for a second opinon. Less then two weeks, on January 12th (my 22nd Birthday) i was on a plane, from Japan to San Diego to have a meeting with the Oncology department and discuss chemo on Jan 13 (my Fathers birthday)

Jan 14 i started chemo 5 days a week, and i was originally slotted for 4 cycles of 3 weeks each, but on March 5th 2009 I had been told i was done with chemo after 2 cycles. I beat it early. I still have follow ups every month to ensure that it doesnt come back. [im trying not to make this TOO long and waste peoples time, so if your interested the full cancer blog is at www.caringbridge.com/visit/kevineri ]

Well that brings us to now... The whole chemo thing hurt the most because after almost 6 months of training non stop and beating myself silly, and being in the best shape of my life, just for it all to be thrown out the window by medical problems completely beyond my control.. My mom had sent me an Autographed copy of Made in America and used to pray with me daily on the phone, and i still think of those, and Matt's always positive attitude as an inspiration...

Joe Duarte visited my base here in san diego a couple days ago, and well, my first time on a matt since cancer, and i was grappeling Joe Duarte. I jumped him into my closed guard and had his right arm... but in the end he got me with a rear naked choke. The local news had heard a Cancer Patient was in the ring with a Pro and came running... I may have lost, but the pictures, videos, and news story, have made the fire bigger, and i'm set on finding a gym and partners, and ill be back full swing and better then before in no time!:punch:

Plus since they took a part of me, i have gotten a sick new ring name... The Wrekking Ball!

But i guess all i wanted to accomplish by this massive rambel was to say thank you. To not just Matt, but to the Hughes family as a whole. Because reading his story and seeing his success, proved and showed me theres a light at the end of the tunnel....

...And for the record too, i couldnt have done it without my wife! Even though she was in Japan during chemo, and my family was in florida, I dont feel i did it alone, but thats another story yet again...

Thank you again, Matt, if you ever see these!

And my last thought... if Lance Armstrong is HUGE for beating cancer and riding a bike.... just you wait till im back competing... watch out world!

Thanks again..
-Kevin:ninja:

Boomer 06-08-2009 02:21 AM

SMEPER FI Kev!! Glad you are here and hope to see you posting some!! Keep us in the loop on your training and future fights!!! :)

MattHughesRocks 06-08-2009 02:26 AM

Welcome Kev! And don't worry, most of us don't really have much to contribute anyway :laugh:

thekevineri 06-08-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer
SMEPER FI Kev!! Glad you are here and hope to see you posting some!! Keep us in the loop on your training and future fights!!! :)

Yep yep. Will do. Well, all i've done thus far is try to cut all the extra weight from chemo. I'm about 180 right now, and before chemo i was like 175-180, but i was a lot more solid. During chemo i went up to like 215 because of all the waterweight.

Yesterday me and the wife went to the beach, so i could fill 2 seabags up to hang as punching bags... im to cheap to pay for a heavy bag..

but i never guessed one regular seabag filled would weigh like over 400 lbs.... grrr... so i had to make due and take 2 1/2 filled ones, and condense them into one...

A heavy bag cost a couple hundred bucks... i made mine for 6 bucks for the bag, and 25 for enough chains to hang two! :laugh: AND canvas wont chip, crack and tear like leather! plus mines wrapped in duct tape too.

I got some pics of me and joe, ill post em when i figure this forum thing out.

thekevineri 06-08-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekevineri

New years eve day rolls around and i went to see my doctor.. i had high spirits and was already talking to the stadium about my rematch...

I sat down, not as sore as i had been, and my doctor comes in stone faced and without expression... "You have embroynal carinoma stage two, with growths in your abdomen. We need to cut you open and take all your lymphnodes asap"

Not to insult anyones intelligence... in lamiens terms, thats testicular cancer (germ cell cancer) i forgot to give that detail... and stage one means just a growth downstairs, 2 is its spreading to your abdomen, and 3 means tumors have made it to your organs. Just FYI!

But, cancer dont got noffin on me!

Tyburn 06-08-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Well let me start by saying, I've been a huge hughes fan for a few years now, and i've sometimes lurked in the shadows on these forums while sitting at work, but not until now have i ever felt i had something to contribute.

I'm a US Marine, and i've been serving since before i graduated high school in 2005. My first Duty station was camp Pendleton CA, where I stayed from 2005-2007. From there I had a place in Temecula, where i occasionally trained with Cory Cass.

In October of 2007 I got sent to Okinawa Japan, and little did i know, that place would turn my life upside down...

I kept myself in pretty good shape, but kind of fell out of the loop on MMA and the like, because i didnt have a TV, and because i didnt have anyone to roll with. About a year passed, and then i met some friends who liked to Grappel and liked to wrestle. We started up an all Marine after work grappeling tournement every thursday after working hours, and it grew. Eventually cardboard title belts were handed out, and me and my friend Jake were the only two that passed it off from week to week. Eventually i wound up with cracked ribs and fell out of that.

Jake, later found a place out in town where the local Japanese comepeted and would let the Americans come out and try their skill. I never really got to deep into a 'formal' training, other then looking on technique websites, and growing up getting beat up by my brother and sister. Long story short, my first fight i wound up getting clocked in the mouth by a stray shot and was out. I was awake before i hit the ground, so it was more of a knock down then a knock out, and the reff still called it... whatever.

But that set a fire under me, and all i did was train train train... until i started having severe pain in my groin area and lower back. I went to the docs on November 27 and went into surgery where they... well, ill be blunt... they took my right nut. From there i was put on bed rest and told to come back on Dec 31st for the pathology report.

Wow. I had never been hit that hard in my life.

The surgery had some gnarly side effects, and the like which i had wanted nothing to do with, and i hesitantly asked for a second opinon. Less then two weeks, on January 12th (my 22nd Birthday) i was on a plane, from Japan to San Diego to have a meeting with the Oncology department and discuss chemo on Jan 13 (my Fathers birthday)

Jan 14 i started chemo 5 days a week, and i was originally slotted for 4 cycles of 3 weeks each, but on March 5th 2009 I had been told i was done with chemo after 2 cycles. I beat it early. I still have follow ups every month to ensure that it doesnt come back. [im trying not to make this TOO long and waste peoples time, so if your interested the full cancer blog is at www.caringbridge.com/visit/kevineri ]

Well that brings us to now... The whole chemo thing hurt the most because after almost 6 months of training non stop and beating myself silly, and being in the best shape of my life, just for it all to be thrown out the window by medical problems completely beyond my control.. My mom had sent me an Autographed copy of Made in America and used to pray with me daily on the phone, and i still think of those, and Matt's always positive attitude as an inspiration...

Joe Duarte visited my base here in san diego a couple days ago, and well, my first time on a matt since cancer, and i was grappeling Joe Duarte. I jumped him into my closed guard and had his right arm... but in the end he got me with a rear naked choke. The local news had heard a Cancer Patient was in the ring with a Pro and came running... I may have lost, but the pictures, videos, and news story, have made the fire bigger, and i'm set on finding a gym and partners, and ill be back full swing and better then before in no time!:punch:

Plus since they took a part of me, i have gotten a sick new ring name... The Wrekking Ball!

But i guess all i wanted to accomplish by this massive rambel was to say thank you. To not just Matt, but to the Hughes family as a whole. Because reading his story and seeing his success, proved and showed me theres a light at the end of the tunnel....

...And for the record too, i couldnt have done it without my wife! Even though she was in Japan during chemo, and my family was in florida, I dont feel i did it alone, but thats another story yet again...

Thank you again, Matt, if you ever see these!

And my last thought... if Lance Armstrong is HUGE for beating cancer and riding a bike.... just you wait till im back competing... watch out world!

Thanks again..
-Kevin:ninja:

Greetings from England.

Its always nice to see a lurker step out into the light, by the sounds of it you have more to contribute then most! You must keep us informed with your progress. I speak online occasionally to Joe Duarte also btw :laugh:

Amor Et Fides

Dave :)

thekevineri 06-09-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
Greetings from England.

Its always nice to see a lurker step out into the light, by the sounds of it you have more to contribute then most! You must keep us informed with your progress. I speak online occasionally to Joe Duarte also btw :laugh:

Amor Et Fides

Dave :)

Thanks man. Joe seems like a cool kid, hes former Army Ranger himself.... but i wont touch that.

Llamafighter 06-09-2009 07:42 PM

Welcome, man
Great to have you here. you story is very inspiring and I wish you the best. Sounds like you're a real warrior.
We have a good time on here so stick around!

Tyburn 06-09-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

hes former Army Ranger himself....

That so doesnt suprise me. Although I'm not sure if I knew it or not LOL

thekevineri 06-09-2009 08:27 PM

Yea he was saying he was in the fight for falluja and stuff. Pretty gnarly. I told em army stand for Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet

I actually started my paperwork to go Explosive Ordnance Disposal today.... so hopefully my work life gets alot more exciting soon, vise sitting on my butt in a cage on a computer....

heres the news story with me and him.... thats not me wearing the black belt getting slammed in the beginning.. im the goofy kid talking about them being all talk... and the one getting the 'hiptoss heard round the world' as it being referred to as...

(edit: sorry, the link didnt go through the first time..... and for the record, i weaseled out of the choke he had me in where he used my own arm... and the arm at the end covered in ink... is mine. lol)

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/around_to...San_Diego.html

Heres a pic of me and joe too...

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...666/menjoe.jpg

Is there a way to post vids in threads?