Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Randy on GSP v Penn (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142)

GnP 01-28-2009 08:31 AM

Randy on GSP v Penn

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight and light heavyweight titleholder Randy "The Natural" Couture has made a name for himself by his performances in big fights in the UFC Octagon. He's defied Father Time over and over while proving his critics wrong time and again.

Almost as boisterous as his in-cage accolades are his fight breakdowns. "The Natural" has an uncanny ability to make accurate fight picks, including correctly predicting some of the biggest upsets in recent years.

Couture gave his analysis of the UFC 94 main event, the rematch between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn, exclusively for MMAWeekly.com.

"B.J. is one of the most talented guys that I've ever been around. He has amazing balance and flexibility. He's got naturally heavy hands. His submission skills are top notch," commented Couture. "But I still think we've seen him at 155 fight the best that he has. Although he beat Matt Hughes back in the day at 170, it was more of a style match-up than anything. Conditioning, the body, mindset, everything, it was the best it's ever been at 155."

Penn has been a dominating force in the lightweight division, but has a history of wanting to challenge himself in higher weight classes. Couture believes Georges St. Pierre will be too much for the Hawaiian fighter.

"I just don't see it going well for (Penn) going up to 170, dealing with a guy like Georges who is cutting down a good 15 pounds, probably more, to make the 170-pound limit, who is as dynamic and has the skill sets that Georges has," stated the 44-year-old fighter affectionately know as "Captain America."

Couture added, "Although, I think it's going to be a very interesting fight. I like Georges in a five-round title fight, in that fight."

Georges St. Pierre edged out a split decision victory over B.J. Penn at UFC 58 in their first match up on March 4, 2006.

He is usually right about these things, either way I am hoping for a great fight not a quick knockout

Llamafighter 01-28-2009 11:30 AM

I think Randy got this one wrong. We shall see...

County Mike 01-28-2009 11:51 AM

Don't doubt Captain America. GSP FTW!

TheConcretekid 01-28-2009 11:56 AM

When he's right, he's right. I agree 100%. The best BJ is/was at 155 lbs.

jignpig 01-28-2009 01:14 PM

GSP has a weak chin, not a glass one, but a weak one. bj has the power to knock GSP out george has the ability to submitt and or win by points. if this match stays on its feet i really think bjs got it. gonna be a great fight.

GnP 01-28-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jignpig
GSP has a weak chin, not a glass one, but a weak one. bj has the power to knock GSP out george has the ability to submitt and or win by points. if this match stays on its feet i really think bjs got it. gonna be a great fight.

I am never sure where this idea comes from? Is it simply because Serra caught him with one HUGE shot?

Other than that when has he been knocked out? or knocked down? thats right never and he has faced some very good fighters in his time.

Most people in MMA are going to end up with a KO or TKO loss on their record because of the nature of the sport.

I just don't buy the week chin argument at all sorry

County Mike 01-28-2009 01:32 PM

I have to root for GSP because Dave once mistook my avatar at the time (pic of me) as GSP. If GSP and I look enough alike to fool Dave, then I'm rooting for my distant twin. haha

jignpig 01-28-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GnP
I am never sure where this idea comes from? Is it simply because Serra caught him with one HUGE shot?

Other than that when has he been knocked out? or knocked down? thats right never and he has faced some very good fighters in his time.

Most people in MMA are going to end up with a KO or TKO loss on their record because of the nature of the sport.

I just don't buy the week chin argument at all sorry

fair enuff, i cant argue that. i guess i look at it like this, dan henderson, you could hit him in the mouth with a bowling ball and hes not going to sleep. wanderlei is an animal and can take some serious shots but can be put to sleep. gsp can be knocked out and i think bj can do it. but as for my weak chin comment "you are correct sir"(in my best ed mcmahon voice)

rearnakedchoke 01-28-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

are you kidding??? he has been KO'd once and has never ever been rocked in a fight and i mean wobbled ... he took good shots from fitch, bj was able to land some heavy shots in their fight and did damage, but gsp was never in danger of being ko'd ... when bj said he rededicated himself, he rededicated himself to fighting lw's .. his first fight was jens who was really a weight class below and has one win since that fight (cub i think is the only one) ... joe daddy again bj whooped him, but joe was out of his class and we saw that when he couldn't be competitive against kenflo and sherk was a good performance, i'll give him that, sherk looked no where the same level as bj in that fight ..

but to say gsp has no chin, maybe it hasn't been tested, but he was only rocked once

Edit: just read your other post now

GnP 01-28-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

fair enuff, i cant argue that. i guess i look at it like this, dan henderson, you could hit him in the mouth with a bowling ball and hes not going to sleep. wanderlei is an animal and can take some serious shots but can be put to sleep. gsp can be knocked out and i think bj can do it. but as for my weak chin comment "you are correct sir"(in my best ed mcmahon voice)

haha fair play. I see where you are going but i think the Hendos of MMA are very few and far between as you say even wandi has been knocked out. Obviously I am praying for a gsp win but hope we get a great fight not some of the anti climax fights we seem to have had latley