Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Right wingers? (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241)

Chris F 04-15-2009 03:38 AM

Right wingers?
 
Recession fueling right-wing extremism, U.S. says
Buzz Up Send

MIAMI (Reuters) Right-wing extremists in the United States are gaining new recruits by exploiting fears about the economy and the election of the first black U.S. president, the Department of Homeland Security warned in a report to law enforcement officials.

The April 7 report, which Reuters and other news media obtained on Tuesday, said such fears were driving a resurgence in "recruitment and radicalization activity" by white supremacist groups, antigovernment extremists and militia movements. It did not identify any by name.

DHS had no specific information about pending violence and said threats had so far been "largely rhetorical."

But it warned that home foreclosures, unemployment and other consequences of the economic recession "could create a fertile recruiting environment for right-wing extremists."

"To the extent that these factors persist, right-wing extremism is likely to grow in strength," DHS said.

The report warned that military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with combat skills could be recruitment targets, especially those having trouble finding jobs or fitting back into civilian society.

The department "is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to boost their violent capabilities," the report said.

DHS spokeswoman Sara Kuban said on Tuesday the report was one of an ongoing series of threat assessments aimed at "a greater understanding of violent radicalization in the U.S."

A similar assessment of left-wing radicals completed in January was distributed to federal, state and local police agencies at that time.

"These assessments are done all the time, this is nothing unusual," Kuban said.

The Department of Homeland Security was formed in response to the September 11 attacks of 2001 and has focused largely on threats from Islamist extremists.

The report said domestic right-wing terrorist groups grew during the economic recession of the early 1990s but subsided as the economy improved.

Government scrutiny disrupted violent plots following the April 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City by Army veteran Timothy McVeigh which killed 168 people.

LONE WOLVES

"Despite similarities to the climate of the 1990s, the threat posed by lone wolves and small terrorist cells is more pronounced than in past years," the report said.

The Internet has made it easier to locate specific targets, communicate with like-minded people and find information on bombs and weapons, it said.

Extremist groups are preying on fears that President Barack Obama, the first African American U.S. president, would restrict gun ownership, boost immigration and expand social programs for minorities, the report said.

It said such groups were also exploiting anti-Semitic sentiment with accusations that "a cabal of Jewish financial elites" had conspired to collapse the economy.

"This trend is likely to accelerate if the economy is perceived to worsen," the report said.

(Additional reporting by Randall Mikkelsen in Washington, editing by Jim Loney and Alan Elsner)

NateR 04-15-2009 03:52 AM

This is just disgusting fear-mongering on the part of the Obama administration.

The simple fact that they are trying to vilify American veterans and characterize them as a danger to the government is just despicable.:angry:

This does remind me of the fear-mongering days of the 90s when movies like Arlington Road attempted to portray conservative Christian families as terrorists.

One commentator described these political trends as a pendulum which swings from one side to the other. This is probably the most extreme level of influence that liberals have had on the government itself and will most likely just result in an even greater swing back to conservatism in a few years.

Llamafighter 04-15-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR
This is just disgusting fear-mongering on the part of the Obama administration.

The simple fact that they are trying to vilify American veterans and characterize them as a danger to the government is just despicable.:angry:

This does remind me of the fear-mongering days of the 90s when movies like Arlington Road attempted to portray conservative Christian families as terrorists.

One commentator described these political trends as a pendulum which swings from one side to the other. This is probably the most extreme level of influence that liberals have had on the government itself and will most likely just result in an even greater swing back to conservatism in a few years.

I have to believe that if there are extreme liberal whackos there are going to be person's occupying the opposite end of the spectrum. I think all religions and political groups have extremists.
I find myself becoming more and more conservative in my old age. perhaps it's the influence of this forum;)

rockdawg21 04-15-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I have to believe that if there are extreme liberal whackos there are going to be person's occupying the opposite end of the spectrum. I think all religions and political groups have extremists.
I find myself becoming more and more conservative in my old age. perhaps it's the influence of this forum;)

Or it could be that you're not just thinking of yourself and actually thinking of the future of your family. Liberals tend to live in the now and want everything for themselves without thinking of the consequences of the future generations. I.E. Barack Obama investing our childrens' futures into failing businesses.

Llamafighter 04-15-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Or it could be that you're not just thinking of yourself and actually thinking of the future of your family. Liberals tend to live in the now and want everything for themselves without thinking of the consequences of the future generations. I.E. Barack Obama investing our childrens' futures into failing businesses.

no that's not it...:ashamed:

rearnakedchoke 04-15-2009 01:54 PM

I can see this already happening .. oh well, you knew it was a matter of time before people started blaming Obama's poor plans on his race ... it is really sad that it is all he can come up with .....

Crisco 04-15-2009 02:43 PM

The forum definately makes you more conservative. I've come a LONG way haha.

I use to be extremely liberal.

Llamafighter 04-15-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisco
The forum definately makes you more conservative. I've come a LONG way haha.

I use to be extremely liberal.

for every hour I spend on here I have to watch an episode of The Daily Show:laugh:

rockdawg21 04-15-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I can see this already happening .. oh well, you knew it was a matter of time before people started blaming Obama's poor plans on his race ... it is really sad that it is all he can come up with .....

Agreed, the fact that he's half white shouldn't give people a reason to hate him. :laugh:

NateR 04-15-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I can see this already happening .. oh well, you knew it was a matter of time before people started blaming Obama's poor plans on his race ... it is really sad that it is all he can come up with .....

I think claiming this is all about Obama's race is weak and shows that Obama's supporters are finding less and less ways to defend the man's actions.

His approval ratings are plummeting, Americans are feeling more and more disgruntled. In fact, he's managed to alienate more Americans in his first 100 days than George W. Bush did over the course of 8 years. Disregarding the fact that most of Bush's unpopularity was just a fabrication of the liberal media.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.