Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Ultimate Fighter (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bobby Lashley willing to enter TUF (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134)

rockdawg21 04-06-2009 06:09 PM

Bobby Lashley willing to enter TUF

That's pretty cool. Gotta respect a guy who's willing to really test himself. I think that'd be a great place for Lashley to get some awesome training and some experience.

Quote:

Ex-WWE star Bobby Lashley willing to compete on UFC’s “The Ultimate Fighter”

MMAjunkie.com Staff, MMAjunkie.com
Apr 4, 3:10 pm EDT

Former collegiate wrestling champion and WWE import Bobby Lashley (2-0) hasn’t shot up the ranks of MMA quite as quickly as fellow professional wrestler and current UFC interim champion Brock Lesnar.

But that’s just fine for Lashley, who has said he’s interested in developing at his own pace.

But on the most recent episode of ESPN.com’s “MMA Live,” Lashley said he definitely wants to make his way to the UFC and he’d be willing to go through “The Ultimate Fighter” to do it.

“Everybody wants to be in the UFC,” Lashley said. “It’s the pinnacle of this sport, so of course I want to be there.”

The UFC is holding open tryouts for “The Ultimate Fighter” in Seattle on Monday. Heavyweights are being sought out for the process, and Lashley told “MMA Live” co-host Kenny Florian he’s mulling over the idea of making an appearance.

“I think [appearing on ‘The Ultimate Fighter’] would be something great,” Lashley said. “I saw that, and they said, ‘Heavyweights,’ and I was like, ‘Yeah, let’s jump on it.’

“I think it would be great because what I’m trying to do right now is prove myself. And on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ you have to prove yourself. I talked it over with my management and my trainers and everything, and they have mixed opinions on it if I should go there, or if I should stay out and do different fights.”

The American Top Team fighter has earned victories in his first two MMA contests, but he admits he’s still got a long way to go to reach the level he someday hopes to attain.

“This is a building process,” Lashley said. “When I get to the UFC, I want to be a serious contender for the title. I don’t want to just be another guy going into the UFC because it’s a grand stage and build there. I don’t think that’s what I need to do.

“I need to stay in the undercard, and stay in some of the smaller fights, and get more fights under my belt - get some fights like my last fight where it doesn’t go the way that I wanted. I’ve got to seal the deal. There’s a lot of learning in this game.”

And could that learning possibly be helped by the world-class coaching cast members of “The Ultimate Fighter” undoubtedly receive?

“I’m open to anything,” Lashley said. “I’m open to suggestions. If that’s the route [my management] wants to send me, then I’m going to go.”

Chris F 04-07-2009 12:26 AM

I think it would be a better testing ground the the tin cans he has been fighting. I think Lashley would do well, but I do not think he would win.

cheachea 04-07-2009 01:55 AM

The thing I respect about Lashley is that he's humble and a hardworker. He respects MMA and is willing to put in the work to improve and prove himself. Part of me hopes that he goes onto TUF, but then the other part thinks maybe he should get just a little bit more experience first. Who knows though LOL.

MMeh 04-07-2009 05:59 AM

So far, I've been really impressed by the way Lashley is approaching MMA. I don't think he'll ever be a top HW contender, but the man respects the game and isn't in it to simply cash in/take freakshow fights. I hope he gives TUF a go, but my guess is his management elects to continue with the measured approach they've been taking thus far to build him up.

billwilliams70 04-07-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris F
I think it would be a better testing ground the the tin cans he has been fighting. I think Lashley would do well, but I do not think he would win.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Later.

Tyburn 04-07-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdawg21
That's pretty cool. Gotta respect a guy who's willing to really test himself. I think that'd be a great place for Lashley to get some awesome training and some experience.

Well...he'd be good for the Drama...dont forget his background, at least we know he could cope in the TUF house...hahaha cut afew promos... :laugh: he'd find TUF really exciting...He'd be an absolute hoot.

I hope they decide to take him up on the offer :happydancing:

logrus 04-07-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris F

Tin cans? The poor guy has only had 2 professional fights, cut the guy some slack. Besides 99% of the guys who enter TUF have fought a lot more tin cans then him.

He needs experience, and you get that by fighting the guys your experience level and then growing from there, not by jumping in with the likes of Fedor. Thats the route he wishes to travel, not the LEsner route.

rockdawg21 04-08-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn
Well...he'd be good for the Drama...dont forget his background, at least we know he could cope in the TUF house...hahaha cut afew promos... :laugh: he'd find TUF really exciting...He'd be an absolute hoot.

I hope they decide to take him up on the offer :happydancing:

I think Dana would be a fool not to have him, at least, try out for the show if he's willing to do it. There's no doubt, the ratings would be sky high with his star power. And really, if he was winning, they would just continue to rise IMO.

I'd love to see him on the show.

KENTUCKYREDBONE 04-08-2009 12:50 AM

He may have potential but I'm getting burnt out on the TUF Drama!

Chris F 04-08-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logrus
Tin cans? The poor guy has only had 2 professional fights, cut the guy some slack. Besides 99% of the guys who enter TUF have fought a lot more tin cans then him.

He needs experience, and you get that by fighting the guys your experience level and then growing from there, not by jumping in with the likes of Fedor. Thats the route he wishes to travel, not the LEsner route.

I agree. However not all the TUF guys have had a lot of fights under their belt. I think he should do it. Since they fight their way in, he will deserve whatever happens.