Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Woodshed (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Right to persue happiness (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10634)

Tyburn 01-14-2014 07:32 PM

The Right to persue happiness

Who believes that the ability to persue happiness should be a Human Right?

:huh:

County Mike 01-14-2014 07:54 PM

It is.

Neezar 01-14-2014 08:44 PM

Depends on what makes you happy, I guess. Punching certain people in the throat would make me happy. But some people think that I have no right to do that.

MattHughesRocks 01-15-2014 04:31 AM

Sounds selfish as hell to me!

:rolleyes:

County Mike 01-15-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neezar (Post 203841)
Depends on what makes you happy, I guess. Punching certain people in the throat would make me happy. But some people think that I have no right to do that.

If it makes you happy, then I believe you have the right to do it.

Carry on!

Tyburn 01-15-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by County Mike (Post 203836)
It is.

According to the American Declaration of Independance...its listed as the Fourth inalienable right of any Individual...following Equality (intrinsic value, NOT Status) Life, and Freedom.

Firstly, I think that "Human Rights" are nothing but a sociological fabrication by a civilization to define its moral and ethic values. Essential, but just a compiled list of qualities none-the-less.

The reason I believe that, is not because various different lists differ. For example, there is nothing outside the American Culture that states one should be entitled to have fire-arms, and nothing in the American Culture that says free at the point of sale Health Care for all is a right.

I believe in God, and believe that the only "intrinsic" or "inalienable" rights, so to speak come from Him. Believing, as I do, that he is "Rex Celestis" and Judge of all. I find that he is an Absolute Monarchy. Therefore, we have no rights, except those given to us by him. I See very few specific rights outlined in Scripture. However, I would say that we can take as absolute any promise he has made, but those promises are instigated by his Command, not given us as due, or owed. I simply believe that the nature of Holiness denies him the ability to re-tract his word, like it WOULD do with a Human Monarch...Especially one who governs under any form of common law, as opposed to any fixed constitutional law.

Now the problem with the persuit of happiness, is that its not the same for everyone, and may not be ethically sound...infact, it could be directly incompatable and therefore lead to a paradox (one person seeks happiness through silence...his next door neighbour needs loud music to be Happy....who has the "right" to prevail in this situation?) its as open to interpretation as it is abuse.

Infact, it bears a lot with both Hedonism, and Nietzscheian Philosophy. Fredrich, an Enlightenment Philosopher of sorts, and a serious iconoclast, has some very dangerous philosophies. One is known as "The Becoming"

In Fredrichs view, every individual is supposed to want and lean towards displaying their full potential. That is different for different people, and he says that all should persue that to the point where it doesnt impact negatively on anyone else. He says that those who push the boundaries, eventually reach their potential, and become, Super-Men...Men whose full potential has been reached. Thats German for "Ubermensche" and we all know what happened when Adolf Hitler came across Nietzsche and decided to try and put some of his ideologies into practise.

Some of Nietzsche is absolutely right, his Will to Power...Power Discourse Philosophy is absolutely spot on...and Adolf made good use of that aswell...as will any great Orator, who is able to encorperate little illusions to heighten their message. For example, any Great Speech, begins with a moments silence. Most orators dare do nothing more then a brief ten seconds during which they mess with the microphone, or shuffle their papers....But Adolf, would rise, walk to the podium...and stop...often for two or three whole mins...but I digress...

I certainly do not think that the seeking of happiness is something to be demanded as a right. just like I dont believe that Utilitarianism as an ethical system is a brilliant one to follow (Utilitarianism states that what makes the majority the most happy should always be the thing to do)

rearnakedchoke 01-15-2014 06:20 PM

you are right in the sense that human rights are a government created issue .. because, where ever you go in the world, they are different ...

Tyburn 01-15-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke (Post 203870)
you are right in the sense that human rights are a government created issue .. because, where ever you go in the world, they are different ...

I believe so...I also believe its not possible to guarentee things.

If, for example, you truely believed that "Life" was an inalienable right...explain those Africans who are born into unsustainable environments, through no fault of their parents.

If Life was always a right...noone would ever be able to die....because an "inalienable right" isnt supposed to be a created thing by man...but a fact from God.

So far, the only "right" I have really discerned is "intrinsic value" which is closest to "all men are born equal" I would say "All men are of intrinsic worth because they were made by God, and made in His Image"

but how much that worth is...and whether some are worth more then others, I can not say...except to say "you are worth more then many sparrows"

:laugh:

rearnakedchoke 01-15-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyburn (Post 203871)
I believe so...I also believe its not possible to guarentee things.

If, for example, you truely believed that "Life" was an inalienable right...explain those Africans who are born into unsustainable environments, through no fault of their parents.

If Life was always a right...noone would ever be able to die....because an "inalienable right" isnt supposed to be a created thing by man...but a fact from God.

So far, the only "right" I have really discerned is "intrinsic value" which is closest to "all men are born equal" I would say "All men are of intrinsic worth because they were made by God, and made in His Image"

but how much that worth is...and whether some are worth more then others, I can not say...except to say "you are worth more then many sparrows"

:laugh:

i agree with you, and maybe i am reading into this, but it seems are a disagreeing/bashing with the US Constitution ... if not, that is fine .. as i said earlier, every country is going to be different ... some people may like the idea of the US having the right to bear arms .. and may want to move there because of it .. some people may like the fact that in canada you can't be discriminated against based on your sexual orientation .. and move here ... again, not trying to stir the pot as i usually do, but just trying to see where you are getting at ..

flo 01-15-2014 07:20 PM

Is anyone else reading this as "the right to peruse happiness"? I see it that way every time I look at the thread title.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: