Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TUF Finale Question (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10303)

Irish Pride 04-14-2013 09:14 PM

TUF Finale Question

So I heard one of the announcers at the end of Round 3 of the TUF finale mention that it could go to a "sudden death" round. That got me curious. How do they get the commissions or whoever to okay that.

I know they can do a five round fight for main events now. But I hadn't previously heard that they could do a sudden death round for TUF finale. I know they do an extra round (third) during the TUF competition if its a draw, but those fights are exhibitions and I assume the finale fights are not exhibitions because they are 3 rounds with apparently an option for a 4th.

Another question would be, if those fights can go on to a possible 4th, why not have that with all fights if there was a case of a draw. Wouldn't that be better than a draw?

kevint13 04-14-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Pride (Post 199506)
So I heard one of the announcers at the end of Round 3 of the TUF finale mention that it could go to a "sudden death" round. That got me curious. How do they get the commissions or whoever to okay that.

I know they can do a five round fight for main events now. But I hadn't previously heard that they could do a sudden death round for TUF finale. I know they do an extra round (third) during the TUF competition if its a draw, but those fights are exhibitions and I assume the finale fights are not exhibitions because they are 3 rounds with apparently an option for a 4th.

Another question would be, if those fights can go on to a possible 4th, why not have that with all fights if there was a case of a draw. Wouldn't that be better than a draw?

They were supposed to do a 4th round for Ian McCall/Demetrious Johnson too. I think they get a commission to approve it because they have to have a winner, a draw is not ok for this.

Irish Pride 04-15-2013 02:11 PM

So it's on an individual fight by fight basis?

I wonder why/if they could make it so that all fights could have the option of a 4th round if the judges had ruled it a draw.

VCURamFan 04-15-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Pride (Post 199511)
So it's on an individual fight by fight basis?

I wonder why/if they could make it so that all fights could have the option of a 4th round if the judges had ruled it a draw.

In most cases it doesn't matter if there's a draw, that's the fighter's fault for not doing enough. However, in the case of TUF (where they have a ton of promotional stuff built into needing to have a winner) and the Flyweight tourney (where they needed someone to move on to the finals), they had it as a safety net. I don't think it should be a common occurance.

kevint13 04-15-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 199513)
In most cases it doesn't matter if there's a draw, that's the fighter's fault for not doing enough. However, in the case of TUF (where they have a ton of promotional stuff built into needing to have a winner) and the Flyweight tourney (where they needed someone to move on to the finals), they had it as a safety net. I don't think it should be a common occurance.

Thanks for wording that better than I did :laugh:

I don't think there are that many draws currently and I think the 3 rounds or 5 rounds does its best at preventing it. With the odd number, someone should win most of the time.