Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   GSP...I know I know... (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10261)

Irish Pride 03-17-2013 01:30 PM

GSP...I know I know...
 
So I said I know ...I know... in the title because I know it is another GSP thread and we've had them before. But I'm really having an issue with this...more of a quandary then an issue. I originally had this in the UFC 158 thread but making it here:

I stopped watching in the middle of the 3rd round of GSP vs Diaz and just went to bed. I really wasn't interested in it at all. After 7 fights all being decisions I knew it was going to be yet another decision. GSP said that he was going to show all these new things. I didn't see them. Of course that could just be hype which is fine, I know they have to sell fights but.... I do not find his fights interesting to watch at all. I guess there are a lot of fans out there that are technical fans that love watching his technical fights. It surprises me that he continues to be such a PPV draw. I figured there would be less technical fans then that. Maybe I am analyzing that wrong though and that's not why he's a PPV draw. Any opinions?

I feel odd because he is such a PPV draw and yet I do not like to watch him fight. I feel that since he is billed as such an amazing athlete that I SHOULD like to watch his fights. But the knowledge of him not finishing anyone in over 5 years is always at the front of my brain. Perhaps I should remember he is billed as an amazing athlete where as Anderson Silva is billed as an amazing fighter. Athlete vs Fighter. GSP has great cardio and staying power where people struggle to finish him and Anderson has great striking, etc.

Here are my main questions...

1. I realize that a fighters job is to win and not entertain. So my being bored of GSP doesn't really matter. He gets the job done and retains his title. The flip side of him not being able to finish anyone also means nobody is able to finish him, which says a lot. My main question is, are there really tons of technical fans out there that love watching his PPV fights? If he is such a PPV draw, this would tell me yes. But I struggle to believe this.

2. Do you think he will start to lose fans given his fights aren't unpredictable any more?

3. Am I analyzing it right when they say he's an amazing athlete as opposed to an amazing fighter?


I'd love to hear opinions here...I just can't wrap my brain around people wanting to watch fights like that and him continuing to be a draw. I recognize that people like to watch different kinds of fights but really that many want to watch him?

kevint13 03-17-2013 03:05 PM

I agree with you on many levels. I do think that he has done a little better in the last two fights, but I think I have to give credit to Diaz and Condit for their scrambles to get to better positions and not just let GSP hang out in closed guard.

IMO, GSP is a huge draw because he is so dominant. He controls and wins round after round without taking any damage. But you are absolutely right, he is an athlete, not a fighter.

NateR 03-17-2013 04:52 PM

I've given up on the idea of watching GSP's fights live. I guess the technical people like to watch the technique, but I'm not a technical person, so I got bored of GSP's style and stopped watching his fights years ago.

Of course, now cue the GSP fans and their predictable arguments of "you don't know anything about MMA if you don't enjoy GSP's fights." :rolleyes: Well, maybe I don't, but I do know what's entertaining and GSP is not that.

I remember an old interview from Matt where he said that he saw himself as an entertainer more than an athlete and I think that's why his fights ended up being so much more dynamic and exciting.

I think that GSP has officially broken Matt's record of consecutive title defenses, but if you had a choice, would you rather sit down and watch all of Matt's title fights all the way through, or all of GSP's title fights all the way through? I think I would choose to watch Matt's because then at least I'd be entertained, even though I've watched them all multiple times. I could imagine watching all of GSP's title fights would be about as exciting as a watching a 5-hour MMA instructional video, and I've never even seen half of them.

Oh yeah, we'll also get the other argument of "you're just bitter because GSP beat Matt twice." That's not the case at all. BJ Penn beat Matt twice as well, but I don't have a problem rooting for BJ now. I just think GSP is too hesitant to actually put anything on the line during these title fights and that's why he plays it safe and they all end up going to a decision. I don't want to call him scared, because I could never do what he does, but I just don't think that he wants to take any risks out there.

Someone's going to say, "He's the champ, he shouldn't have to take risks," and that might be true, but he's not going to win himself any new fans that way.

Bonnie 03-17-2013 05:20 PM

Irish Pride, I think you're comments are spot on. I've had the same ?s regarding GSP's draw and popularity especially given the last several years with fight after fight going to decision. And I agree with Kevin regarding Condit in his fight with GSP; I'm giving Diaz a little less credit in the fight last night. :laugh:

I think Dana and a lot of other people think Fitch's fights are boring, so why don't they find GSP's fights boring? :unsure:

One thing about last night's fight I found peculiar, why was GSP so gushing about Nick Diaz after the fight, I don't get that. Right after the fight, he was following Diaz around the ring trying to raise Diaz's hand...it just seemed strange to me, and Diaz just kept walking away. I understand showing respect, and being gracious in winning, but that was weird given Diaz's lack of respect towards GSP. Just wondering if anyone else found that strange too.

Bonnie 03-17-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198988)
I've given up on the idea of watching GSP's fights live. I guess the technical people like to watch the technique, but I'm not a technical person, so I got bored of GSP's style and stopped watching his fights years ago.

Of course, now cue the GSP fans and their predictable arguments of "you don't know anything about MMA if you don't enjoy GSP's fights." :rolleyes: Well, maybe I don't, but I do know what's entertaining and GSP is not that.

I remember an old interview from Matt where he said that he saw himself as an entertainer more than an athlete and I think that's why his fights ended up being so much more dynamic and exciting.

I think that GSP has officially broken Matt's record of consecutive title defenses, but if you had a choice, would you rather sit down and watch all of Matt's title fights all the way through, or all of GSP's title fights all the way through? I think I would choose to watch Matt's because then at least I'd be entertained, even though I've watched them all multiple times. I could imagine watching all of GSP's title fights would be about as exciting as a watching a 5-hour MMA instructional video, and I've never even seen half of them.

Oh yeah, we'll also get the other argument of "you're just bitter because GSP beat Matt twice." That's not the case at all. BJ Penn beat Matt twice as well, but I don't have a problem rooting for BJ now. I just think GSP is too hesitant to actually put anything on the line during these title fights and that's why he plays it safe and they all end up going to a decision. I don't want to call him scared, because I could never do what he does, but I just don't think that he wants to take any risks out there.

Someone's going to say, "He's the champ, he shouldn't have to take risks," and that might be true, but he's not going to win himself any new fans that way.

There is no question whose fights I'd rather watch! :laugh: I think someone said something similar regarding Matt and GSP, their fights, in the spoiler thread...whose fights will you remember years from now?

kevint13 03-17-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 198990)
One thing about last night's fight I found peculiar, why was GSP so gushing about Nick Diaz after the fight, I don't get that. Right after the fight, he was following Diaz around the ring trying to raise Diaz's hand...it just seemed strange to me, Diaz just kept walking away. I understand showing respect, and being gracious in winning, but that was weird given Diaz's lack of respect towards GSP. Just wondering if anyone else found that strange too.

I found it odd too, but it seems like that after all his fights. It's like he wants to think that none of the talk and actions were real and that they sold the fight. Nick is real...his talk was real and his antics were real. Heck, he even tried cheap shots after the rounds to bait GSP into something more.

Bonnie 03-17-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevint13 (Post 198992)
I found it odd too, but it seems like that after all his fights. It's like he wants to think that none of the talk and actions were real and that they sold the fight. Nick is real...his talk was real and his antics were real. Heck, he even tried cheap shots after the rounds to bait GSP into something more.

I know, it just made him look like a street punk who knew he was losing. Yves warned him after he took that one swing after the bell that if he did it again he'd disqualify him.

kevint13 03-17-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198988)

I remember an old interview from Matt where he said that he saw himself as an entertainer more than an athlete and I think that's why his fights ended up being so much more dynamic and exciting.

Someone's going to say, "He's the champ, he shouldn't have to take risks," and that might be true, but he's not going to win himself any new fans that way.

I thought Matt said something like that also. But during the Q&A the other day he said that the main goal was winning. But he was also referring to that rather than do certain moves that he and fans thought were cool.

I think the difference between fighters like Matt and those like GSP is their idea of winning. Matt didn't go out of his way to look exciting, he just was. His reign of dominance was exciting and he was always looking to finish the fight. GSP doesn't seem to want to even consider leaving what is comfortable to him to try and finish a fight. I am not asking or expecting him to be reckless, but try something that may open a chance of a finish.

GSP used to be a fighter, he knows how....just wish he would go back to being that guy. Everyone knew the fight last night was going to be a decision win for GSP. If the fight was actually finished, it was likely Diaz winning. It has become predictable....kind like the joke with Tim Sylvia as he always guaranteed a KO, but it was always a decision win.

rearnakedchoke 03-17-2013 06:07 PM

i'll have to admit .. gsp is fighting just to win the fight ... he may say he is going to go for the finish, but he is not looking at sacrificing the win for trying to finish ... last nite in the first three minutes he nailed nick with some leg kicks and elbows that coulda really busted up diaz .. but he stopped doing it ...

he is still highly effective, and I still find his fighting style exciting, but he isn't going to win over many new fans as some have pointed out on here

F34R 03-17-2013 07:17 PM

I was hoping that fighting Nick would force an exciting fight. I was pumped when it started. After the first two rounds, I didnt even care to watch it any more. The prelims, and facebook fights were more exciting.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.