Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Woodshed (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Diet Soda increases the risk of diabetes by 33% (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10206)

NateR 02-08-2013 09:31 PM

Diet Soda increases the risk of diabetes by 33%

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...192600358.html

Quote:

Yet another study confirms what people have been saying for ages: Stop drinking diet soda. Like, right now. Drinking just one 12-ounce can of an artificially sweetened fizzy drink per week can increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes by 33 percent, French researchers found, and given that most people don't stop at a single weekly serving, your real risk for diabetes could actually be much higher.
:blink:

Going by the article, it seems that regular soda still puts you at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but not nearly as much as artificially sweetened soda.

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago.

TexasRN 02-08-2013 10:17 PM

Sodas are horrible for you no matter how many calories they have or how they are sweetened. I really hate seeing little kids drinking soda out of their sippy cups or bottles. :angry:

~Amy

Bonnie 02-08-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198276)

Going by the article, it seems that regular soda still puts you at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but not nearly as much as artificially sweetened soda.

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago

Wait a minute, you just mention swearing off "diet", what about "regular" sodas? :laugh:

My friend loves Dr. Pepper, I really think she's addicted to it, anyway, this one time she decided she was going to quit, however, she had a six-pack of them left so she sat there and drank them all. Needless to say, she fell off the wagon pretty quick! :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRN (Post 198277)
Sodas are horrible for you no matter how many calories they have or how they are sweetened. I really hate seeing little kids drinking soda out of their sippy cups or bottles. :angry:

~Amy

And all those high-sugar fruit juices too! Amy have you ever heard of a connection between using those artificial sweetners and dementia or alzheimers? Someone mentioned that to me before.

NateR 02-08-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 198278)
Wait a minute, you just mention swearing off "diet", what about "regular" sodas? :laugh:

I've slowed down significantly on my soda drinking since quitting my job at Walmart. It's just too expensive and I'm trying to cut high-fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely.

Bonnie 02-09-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198280)
I've slowed down significantly on my soda drinking since quitting my job at Walmart. It's just too expensive and I'm trying to cut high-fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely.

Good for you, Nate! :) This past year I've really been on my sister to stop buying it, telling her how bad it is for my nephew...using "mom guilt". :laugh:

Any difference in how you feel since you've cut back?

NateR 02-09-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 198281)
Good for you, Nate! :) This past year I've really been on my sister to stop buying it, telling her how bad it is for my nephew...using "mom guilt". :laugh:

Any difference in how you feel since you've cut back?

Well, initially I felt pretty crappy. Just tired and lethargic, but that passed after a day or two of just drinking water. Now I've noticed that my sleep schedule has evened out quite a bit. I don't lay in bed for hours unable to sleep anymore, I'm usually asleep within a few minutes now. I also started to notice that I started getting really bad acid reflux after cutting back on the sodas. That's taken a bit longer to correct itself, but cutting down on the deep-fried foods in my diet has helped.

I don't even drink coffee as much as I used to. In the evenings, it's mostly tea or water.

For about 2 years, I was drinking an average of 2-3 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew every single day. And not just the regular stuff, the "with ginseng and extra caffeine" Mountain Dew.

When it wasn't soda it was energy drinks: Red Bull, Full Throttle, Monster, etc. I became quite a connoisseur of those things, like everyone on the night shift at Walmart. :laugh:

Now I don't touch them.

Bonnie 02-09-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198282)
Well, initially I felt pretty crappy. Just tired and lethargic, but that passed after a day or two of just drinking water. Now I've noticed that my sleep schedule has evened out quite a bit. I don't lay in bed for hours unable to sleep anymore, I'm usually asleep within a few minutes now. I also started to notice that I started getting really bad acid reflux after cutting back on the sodas. That's taken a bit longer to correct itself, but cutting down on the deep-fried foods in my diet has helped.

I don't even drink coffee as much as I used to. In the evenings, it's mostly tea or water.

For about 2 years, I was drinking an average of 2-3 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew every single day. And not just the regular stuff, the "with ginseng and extra caffeine" Mountain Dew.

When it wasn't soda it was energy drinks: Red Bull, Full Throttle, Monster, etc. I became quite a connoisseur of those things, like everyone on the night shift at Walmart. :laugh:

Now I don't touch them.

Hey, those would be perfect on a pair of fight shorts with "Condom Depot" on the rear! :laugh:

I know, I know... :sign0006:

:laugh:

TexasRN 02-09-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 198278)

My friend loves Dr. Pepper, I really think she's addicted to it, anyway, this one time she decided she was going to quit, however, she had a six-pack of them left so she sat there and drank them all. Needless to say, she fell off the wagon pretty quick! :laugh:

And all those high-sugar fruit juices too! Amy have you ever heard of a connection between using those artificial sweetners and dementia or alzheimers? Someone mentioned that to me before.

I haven't heard of a connection but that doesn't mean they haven't found one. I have quit reading up on dementia studies for a while. I was obsessed when dad was first diagnosed and read everything I could find. The last thing I did happen to see was that they are looking at a connection between diabetes/blood sugar issues and Alzheimer's disease. Some are even calling Alzheimer's "type 3 diabetes" now. Here is an article from the NY Times about it that was published last year:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...pe-3-diabetes/

Remember, glucose is fuel for your brain so any time you have a big change in glucose levels you are affecting your brain function. So it makes sense.

~Amy

Tyburn 02-09-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateR (Post 198276)

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago.

I dont do diet anything neither...nowt but full fat for me :laugh:

Bonnie 02-09-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRN (Post 198285)
I haven't heard of a connection but that doesn't mean they haven't found one. I have quit reading up on dementia studies for a while. I was obsessed when dad was first diagnosed and read everything I could find. The last thing I did happen to see was that they are looking at a connection between diabetes/blood sugar issues and Alzheimer's disease. Some are even calling Alzheimer's "type 3 diabetes" now. Here is an article from the NY Times about it that was published last year:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...pe-3-diabetes/

Remember, glucose is fuel for your brain so any time you have a big change in glucose levels you are affecting your brain function. So it makes sense.

~Amy

That was a good article, he makes it easy to understand. It really does make sense.