Official Forums Official Forums (
-   The Woodshed (
-   -   Helicopter hits Craine during Rush Hour in Central London (

Tyburn 01-17-2013 07:38 PM

Helicopter hits Craine during Rush Hour in Central London
Apparently the Helicopter was approaching Central London and the guy flying asked to be re-routed to a nearby airpad because of visibility issues with fog. The guy was highly skilled, he used to be a stunt flyer for the movies, and also used to fly VIPs around England. As he was making his descent he accidently crashed into a Craine that was attached to a nearby building project. It is thought that the craine and building were not properly lit up as they should have been.

The Helicopter knocked everything above the Craine control box off the top of the craine, which fell into the street below, killing a man who was walking to work. The two craine drivers were saved because both were late for work that day and so had not made it to the cab by the time of the tragic accident.

The helicopter then went out of control and crashed nearby, its fuel caught fire and it went up, hurting twelve more people, burning nearby cars and buildings and of course killing those in the helicopter.

Two people were killed and 12 were hurt when a helicopter crashed into a crane on a building in central London.

The helicopter hit the crane on top of The Tower, One St George Wharf beside the Thames at about 08:00 GMT.

Cars and two buildings caught fire after the burning wreckage fell into Wandsworth Road in South Lambeth. Eighty firefighters tackled the blaze.

The pilot, Capt Pete Barnes from charter firm Rotormotion, was killed, along with a person on the ground.

Mr Barnes, 50 and who lived near Reading, Berkshire, had asked to be diverted to a nearby heliport because of bad weather.

Metropolitan Police Commander Neil Basu told BBC News it was "miraculous" the crash was not much worse.

Five people were taken to hospital with minor injuries. Seven people were treated at the scene.

It is thought some of the injured were hit by falling debris.

The Civil Aviation Authority said a warning about the crane involved in the crash had been issued to pilots in October and again on 7 January.

But it confirmed that red aviation warning lights on tall structures only need to be turned on at night - and not during bad weather in daylight hours - because they are not visible in fog or low cloud.

The rules mean the period defined as night would have ended about 30 minutes before the crash.

Part of the crane was left hanging from the side of the residential building, which is still under construction.

London Fire Brigade said part of the tail section of the helicopter landed on roof of the building and the main section landed in Wandsworth Road, hitting two cars. The fire from the helicopter ignited two buildings.

Jon Horne, chief executive of Redhill Aerodrome Ventures, said the helicopter had left Redhill in Surrey at 07:35 on a scheduled flight to Elstree in Hertfordshire.

He said it was an Agusta 109, a lightweight, twin-engine helicopter, and that just the pilot was on board when it departed Redhill.

Mr Horne said: "We believe it was unable to land in Elstree and was diverting to an alternate location. The next information we had was following the crash in south London."

Mr Barnes is understood to have piloted helicopters in action scenes for films Die Another Day, Tomb Raider II and Saving Private Ryan.

According to his LinkedIn profile he had also operated flights for the BBC and ITN during the Athens and London Olympics.

A neighbour of Mr Barnes, who lived in Goddard's Green near Mortimer, said the pilot had lived in the village with his partner and their two children for about five years.

David Sinclair, 66, said: "We saw the helicopter come and go every now and again, as he had a helipad in the garden and parked it there."

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.