Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums

Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/index.php)
-   UFC (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RUTHLESS (http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10116)

preach 12-20-2012 03:05 PM

RUTHLESS

FYI Ruthless Robbie Lawler is coming back to the UFC. The only bigger news then that is that he is coming back as a WelterW8. His first opponent is set and it is Josh Koscheck. Just thought I would give you all an early Christmas present

VCURamFan 12-20-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preach (Post 197035)
FYI Ruthless Robbie Lawler is coming back to the UFC. The only bigger news then that is that he is coming back as a WelterW8. His first opponent is set and it is Josh Koscheck. Just thought I would give you all an early Christmas present

JUST SAW THIS ON FACEBOOK!! I'M SO STOKED RIGHT NOW!!!!! :happydancing: :punch:

VCURamFan 12-20-2012 03:26 PM

Robbie Lawler to face Josh Koscheck in February return to UFC

Quote:

'Ruthless' Robbie Lawler, who debuted with the UFC at the age of 20 as something of a prodigy, will return to the organization for the first time in more than eight years this February.

Lawler, now 30, a hard puncher with a wrestling background who never quite lived up to his early billing, faces Josh Koscheck.

The fight was confirmed by a UFC official who said the fight would take place either on the Feb. 16 Fuel show from Wembley Arena in London or at the UFC 157 pay-per-view show a week later at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Lawler (19-9, 1 no contest) was in the first UFC fight ever on U.S. television, scoring a second round knockout win over Steve Berger that was taped for a special segment on 'The Best Damn Sports Show Period,' on Fox Sports Net during the summer of 2002, more than two years before UFC got regular television on Spike. Lawler and Berger were put in the showcase match because of the belief they would have an exciting stand-up fight since television officials were leery at the time of fans not understanding the ground game. The fight was expected to be a showcase for Lawler and also taped a few days earlier in case something went wrong.

With a 7-0 record and six knockouts before the age of 21, the protege of Pat Miletich was promoted as UFC's rising star. But an inability to defend leg kicks against Pete Spratt led to his first loss, stopping his momentum. He was later knocked out by Nick Diaz and submitted by Evan Tanner. He was subsequently released by the organization in 2004.

He later fought with Pride, Elite XC - where he was middleweight champion - and after that promotion went down, he signed with Strikeforce. Lawler was always someone the UFC was interested in, but Elite XC and Strikeforce offered him stronger money deals hoping to build around him as one of their major stars.

Lawler was one of Strikeforce's highest paid fighters, but was never able to claim the middleweight title. He was one fight away in 2009, but then lost via submission to Jake Shields in a match to determine who would get a title shot.

After knocking out Matt Lindland, he earned a title shot at then-champion Ronaldo Souza, on Jan. 21, 2011, in San Jose, losing via submission in the third round. Most recently, on July 14, in his most recent fight, he lost via decision to Lorenz Larkin in a fight that could have gotten him a shot at champion Luke Rockhold.

Lawler coming to UFC confirms what has already been obvious, that Strikeforce and Showtime will be ending their relationship early next year. Strikeforce will be dissolved and its top stars will move to UFC since both companies were under the same ownership.

Koscheck (17-6) has fought his entire career at welterweight and been a top UFC contender in that division for the past six years. He's coming off a close decision loss to Johny Hendricks in a battle of former NCAA champion wrestlers on May 5. He hasn't fought since due to suffering from a bulging disc in his lower back.

JavierDLC 12-20-2012 03:45 PM

It's not looking good for him. I see Josh taking him down over and over possibly submitting him or TKO gnp

rearnakedchoke 12-20-2012 04:35 PM

wow .. they are giving him a tough first fight back in the ufc and at ww ... i am sure robbie wouldn't have it any other way ... .he's gonna catch kos like he did melvin ...

btw .. has melvin awaken from that punch yet?

Tyburn 12-20-2012 07:52 PM

:happydancing: I cant wait for him to return!! I remember meeting him in 2009 :happydancing:

Bella79 12-20-2012 09:12 PM

I can hardly wait for that one!! Would love to see Kos plank in the octagon a'la Lawler!!

Liddellfan 12-21-2012 02:58 AM

Perfect......time for Kos to get KTFO! :punch:

Not taking anything away form MAtt but he was winning the stand up battle until he got caught, Robbie will only need to hit Kos clean 1 time and it's game over.

Neezar 12-24-2012 05:05 AM

Who cares who wins? Robbie is pretty to look at.

:laugh:

MattHughesRocks 12-24-2012 05:23 AM

Woo whooo! :w00t:

:happydancing:

:punch: