PDA

View Full Version : cutting weight

cowboy797us
03-13-2009, 03:05 AM
wats the easiest way to cut weight that u have found

County Mike
03-13-2009, 03:20 AM

Diet. If you just need to lose water weight in a hurry, sweat it out in a sauna. Spit all day helps too.

logrus
03-13-2009, 03:48 AM

What weight, body fat or water weight. How long you looking for. Whats your Diet, training like. Your way to vague more more detail./

cowboy797us
03-13-2009, 04:03 AM
i would like to cut body fat i run and lift try to eat right and still cant lose any weight

logrus
03-13-2009, 04:45 AM
try to eat right

Right there is the key for a good portion of people. Only Gsp and Country Mike can get away with that.

The key is shuttling nutrients to the body at the right time with the right amount of the right kind. To much, too little or the wrong types of food will set you back to square one.

Miss Foxy
03-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Good ol' military diet...
Chunk light tuna plain and oranges. Lots of running and make sure you stay hydrated of course (h2o) only....:frantics:

County Mike
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Probably the best way to lose fat is to eat right and lift. Cardio burns more calories than lifting DURING the exercise. However, lifting increases your metabolism to burn more calories while at rest. Since you're most likely resting a LOT MORE than you're working out, that one pays off more in the long run.

I'm not saying ignore cardio, but focus on lifting with some cardio added in.

The most important thing is diet though. If you don't eat right, all the exercise in the world won't get you ripped.

County Mike
03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Right there is the key for a good portion of people. Only Gsp and Country Mike can get away with that.

You saying I don't eat right? haha - I admit to an unhealthy snack from time to time, but I'm usually pretty good about my diet. I do eat a LOT, but it's a lot of healthy food. I'm guessing GSP eats even healthier than I do, plus works out more. I have a stupid job that gets in my way of working out more.

Crisco
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM
You saying I don't eat right? haha - I admit to an unhealthy snack from time to time, but I'm usually pretty good about my diet. I do eat a LOT, but it's a lot of healthy food. I'm guessing GSP eats even healthier than I do, plus works out more. I have a stupid job that gets in my way of working out more.

The GSP eats the Mickey D's

County Mike
03-13-2009, 02:43 PM
The GSP eats the Mickey D's

Really? That surprises me. I don't eat fast food. I do like the smoothies at Sonic though.

Crisco
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Baconator from Wendy's is hard to say no to once you have had one

County Mike
03-13-2009, 03:05 PM

I've never had one. I guess I'll have to make sure I never do so I don't get hooked. I don't really have any desire to eat fast food. My biggest weakness is ice cream. To fix that, I got an ice cream maker and now I make my own with muscle milk and make them a lot healthier than most you can buy in the store.

rockdawg21
03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's the plan I followed when I went from 23% to 9.5% in 4.5 months. It's quite detailed so if you have any questions, let me know:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brett_fitzgerald.htm

TexasRN
03-13-2009, 11:24 PM

I love that burger. Bacon makes everything better.

~Amy

Jason 16
03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
try putting chart on your bed room door and mark down your weight when you wake up and before you go to bed and at the top of it have a list of what your going to do for each day like. run 3.5 miles lift for about 45 min-60 6 rounds on a heavy bag a bunch of live rolling and end it with plyos and an ab work out. and stick with the work out that you choose.If you see that your loseing weight keep with it if you level out ad more to it. like an extra half mile and 10 more mins of roleing. If Its for water weight there is a formula that my coach had for how to get rid of water and how much to gain back so you still feel good enough to train but you close enough to sweat out to make weight. umm some kids tryed not drinking for an extream amout of time to make there 24 pound cut from 64 to 40

medic92
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Eat my ex-wife's cooking for a month. Not only will you eat only one or two bites per meal, your appetite will be noticeably absent whenever she's cooking something.

Moose
03-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Here's the plan I followed when I went from 23% to 9.5% in 4.5 months. It's quite detailed so if you have any questions, let me know:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/brett_fitzgerald.htm

That's actually a pretty awesome workout. I'll take the challenge. For realz.

rockdawg21
03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
That's actually a pretty awesome workout. I'll take the challenge. For realz.
Thanks. I'd change it a little bit now since I'm much stronger (bar dips instead of bench dips, things like that), but it gives a general idea for dieting and a good routine to follow that isn't too overbearing.

mikthehick
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey,

I'm not cutting weight, but defo losing it, since it'd be best to fight at the women's 140 division, if i ever get there :)

Basically cutting back on sodium and refined sugar for starters, like eat out less, cut out fast food, and cook at home. Try to invest in some quality meat from the store, like ground turkey, chicken, pork, and maybe some steak too. Can't live without steak :)

I also bought some protein bars for snacks and a bit less bread. If you do eat bread, whole grain or whole wheat is great. Plus some fruits and veggies too.

Also, I began to take cinnamon a few weeks ago and it claims to boost metabolism. I think I'll need a few months before I see a difference.

After starting to eat well about 10 weeks ago, I'm down about 10 pounds so far. I have 10-15 more to go. Didn't work out the past couple weeks because was busy with homework and away for a week, but I'm going to start back up at the gym on Monday. I train in Muay Thai and standup MMA right now.

Hey I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions.

Cutting weight or losing it isn't just temporary, but needs to be a lifestyle change if you want to keep it off.

Moose
03-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Thanks. I'd change it a little bit now since I'm much stronger (bar dips instead of bench dips, things like that), but it gives a general idea for dieting and a good routine to follow that isn't too overbearing.
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Question: What does the Flaxseed/Fish Oil do for you at night? Thanks.

Miss Foxy
03-26-2009, 02:34 AM
*BUMP*
I had the first workout today. I already eat as healthy or a little healthier (due to pescotarianism) than the program.

At Thanksgiving, I weighed 272 lbs. Yes. Big Boy. Now as of this morning I weigh 238 lbs. My cardio is really good for my size and it's getting better. Now I look forward to the strength increase, PLUS, I'd love to increase my metabolism.

Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!!:) Your friend over here is gaining weight :sad: Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!

mscomc
03-26-2009, 03:27 AM
*BUMP*

Hey man, names malcom, nice to meet you :) .

If its ok with you, I think I shed some light on flaxseed and fish oil for you.
So the Fish Oil supplements you probably hear about are important because they belong to a group of fatty acids called the omega-3 Fatty acids, they are very important in diet because an omega-3 fatty acid serves a precursor in biosynthesis to other important acids in the body, like EPA (it can help with mood) and DHA (can prevent neuro-degenerative problems like Alzheimers).... but what is thought to be most important is that.... the constituents of omega-3 are beleived to help lower cholesterol and lower trigylcerides as well. The constituents of the acids activate the "PPAR-alpha" receptor in your cells which stimulates the cellular organelle know as the "peroxisome", to break down long chains of fat (that we cant help but ingest).... and all of this is important because as humans, we CANT make omega 3 fatty acids, so we have to eat it.

Flaxseed is most popular because it has a lot of fiber, which of course helps us... well....defacate (:rolleyes: ). Plus, fiber has been shown to help lower elevated blood sugar....and remember, if you have elevated blood sugar,your body is going to use that for energy before it uses fat... and our blood sugar ususally spikes in the night...so it can help with that. Geeze, sorry for all this writing..... i gotta learn to stop. :)

Anways, nice to meet you... take care.

Moose
03-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Thats so good to hear about your weight loss!! Must feel good!!:) Your friend over here is gaining weight :sad: Its a long story but yeah keep it up!!! Yaaay!!!
:laugh:

It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.

mscomc
03-27-2009, 12:33 AM

It does feel good. I've always been moderately active, just with a soft body. Changing that now, for sure. It does feel good to go out on a nice day and run a couple of miles. Melissa, you make me crack up every single time you post, I like having you around.

And Malcom, thanks for the stuff on Omega 3's. I understand a lot about them because I only eat fish. I had to learn a healthy balance between 3's and 6's. Too many 6's can inflame your heart, which is nasty business.

glad if i can help in anyway...:)

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 12:36 AM
*BUMP*

Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 12:38 AM

I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're a hard-training athlete, your body is going to use those nutrients anyways. Most studies that are done regarding health issues (sodium, fats, cholesterol, etc.) are not conduction on athletes, but sedentary individuals.

Moose
03-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Nice work, it's a pain to lose weight, but you feel much better once it's off.

Prior to sleep (30 minutes or so), it's desirable to have a slow-digesting protein so that you get a release of aminos into your bloodstream - this helps prevent catabolism while you're getting your 8 hours of sleep. Casein powder or cottage cheese is one of the best forms of protein for this purpose. Add a little flaxseed oil to it, and it will slow the digestion rate of the casein/cottage cheese while you're sleeping.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.

mscomc
03-27-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. You have any idea what to use in place of cottage cheese, I'm a bit intolerant of lactose.

Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting:)

take care

Moose
03-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey again bro....sorry for my last post man, i guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So If i get this right, you are looking to preserve muscle mass from catabolsim during sleep?

If you dont like the cottage cheese due to lactose and i guess the same problem may persist form casien powders like muscle milk... you could take amino acid supplements before bed.... specifically Alanine and Glutamate (the precursor for Glutamine)

See, when your blood sugar gets low, muscle can get broken down and get used in gluconeogenesis. two amino acids that are predominantly used are Alanine and Glutmate.... thus by taking exogenous supplements of this, you can reverse this equilibrium process. Just an idea.... happy lifting:)

take care

I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!

mscomc
03-27-2009, 02:03 AM
I'll try cottage cheese, we'll see how that goes. I haven't had problems with intolerance in a long time, and I like rice milk a lot better.

You guys are an encyclopedia of awesome ideas, thanks a lot!

oooo i messed up again didnt I? dag nammit, that 0/2 ....sorry home slice:rolleyes:

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm not lactose intolerant, but I hate cottage cheese, lol. Anyways, Optimum Nutrition makes the powdered casein protein. I just mix 1 scoop with 1/2 to 1 tbsp. of flaxseed oil in a shaker cup, add water, shake, drink. Tastes like a chocolate shake. Nice treat before you sleep :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

Another good alternative...eggs. 4 large/xlarge eggs would suffice great as well. Healthiest way to have eggs is hard boiled. And don't worry about cholesterol with eggs or lean meats. Heart disease is linked to higher levels of saturated fat as opposed to dietary cholesterol. If you're eating large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, then you're asking for a clogged artery. If you're eating a grilled chicken breast (virtually no sat fat), then the cholesterol will not have any effect on blood plasma levels.

Moose
03-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Another good alternative...eggs. 4 large/xlarge eggs would suffice great as well. Healthiest way to have eggs is hard boiled. And don't worry about cholesterol with eggs or lean meats. Heart disease is linked to higher levels of saturated fat as opposed to dietary cholesterol. If you're eating large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol, then you're asking for a clogged artery. If you're eating a grilled chicken breast (virtually no sat fat), then the cholesterol will not have any effect on blood plasma levels.

Can I just use the whites? I don't care for the yolks.

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 04:10 AM
Can I just use the whites? I don't care for the yolks.
Yeah, but you're wasting the best part of the egg :wink:. Also, you will need some form of fat (nuts would work fine since I don't recommend you cook the eggs in oil) because all the fat in an egg is contained in its yolk. You pretty much want about 25g-30g of protein prior to sleep, so that would be a lot of egg whites!

Moose
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but you're wasting the best part of the egg :wink:. Also, you will need some form of fat (nuts would work fine since I don't recommend you cook the eggs in oil) because all the fat in an egg is contained in its yolk. You pretty much want about 25g-30g of protein prior to sleep, so that would be a lot of egg whites!

I sucked it up and ate the yolks. Whatever. :)