PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather Jr vs Ortiz !!!!

JavierDLC
06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Holy Sh!^ I just read on Floyd's Facebook and his twitter that he will be back this September!!!

"My fans have been waiting long enough. Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz. Sept-17 2011 for the WBC World Championship."

Money May is back this September 17 against the new Junior Welterweight Champ Vicious Victor Ortiz!!!

If the same Victor who man handled Berto shows up on this day?
It could be a very interesting fight :)

With that said Floyd is going to school Ortiz and Hopefully knock him out a la Ricky Hatton :w00t:

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-vs-ortiz-on-september-17-floyd-jr-confirms--40059

rockdawg21
06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I was wondering what was his big decision; figured it had to do with a fight. Nice to see he's taking a challenge from a young/hungry guy!

The interesting thing that Ortiz brings to the table is that I don't think he will give up. Most of Mayweathers' opponents give up in the later rounds. I don't see this happening with Ortiz.

With that said, I see Mayweather having his usual first few round problems, then adjusting in the middle rounds and being able to dodge/counter his way to a decision.

Ortiz will definitely keep the pressure on Mayweather for this fight. This is a good fight!

J.B.
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
This is a dangerous fight for Floyd simply because he is another year and a half older since his last fight, and he has legal troubles hanging over his head. Ortiz is also a young and hungry southpaw with power in both hands who would love to knock over the apple-cart. It's definitely an interesting fight.

JavierDLC
06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
This is a dangerous fight for Floyd simply because he is another year and a half older since his last fight, and he has legal troubles hanging over his head. Ortiz is also a young and hungry southpaw with power in both hands who would love to knock over the apple-cart. It's definitely an interesting fight.

AGREED!!

But I know Floyd will shake off the ring rust and do what he does best and outbox Ortiz.

logrus
06-08-2011, 06:24 AM

welcome back noob,

Party at ur house for the fights!!

flo
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I read the thread title and my first thought was "Wow, Tito is getting desperate." :laugh:

rockdawg21
06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I read the thread title and my first thought was "Wow, Tito is getting desperate." :laugh:
LOL, awesome!

J.B.
06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
welcome back noob,

Party at ur house for the fights!!

I'm still around, just been kinda quiet lately. :wink:

VCURamFan
06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
:happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198: :happy0198:

JavierDLC
06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15678296#utm_campaign=synclickback&source=http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/6/28/2248071/mayweather-vs-ortiz-streaming-press-conference-new-york-live-updates&medium=15678296

Press Conference for the upcoming fight :)

Floyd talks about Pacquaio and he sounds more interested than ever!!

You can see he gets upset when Ortiz mentions that this fight will be a flash back of Julio Cesar Chavez beating Roger Mayweather.

Cant wait for this fight!!!!

rockdawg21
06-29-2011, 02:51 AM
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15678296#utm_campaign=synclickback&source=http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/6/28/2248071/mayweather-vs-ortiz-streaming-press-conference-new-york-live-updates&medium=15678296

Press Conference for the upcoming fight :)

Floyd talks about Pacquaio and he sounds more interested than ever!!

You can see he gets upset when Ortiz mentions that this fight will be a flash back of Julio Cesar Chavez beating Roger Mayweather.

Cant wait for this fight!!!!
LOL, thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out later.

J.B.
06-29-2011, 07:10 AM
This is a tough fight to call for me, to be quite honest.

Javi, I know u asked me what I thought of the fight, and I honestly don't know right now. Mayweather has had another giant layoff, but this time he's fighting a young southpaw with a LOT to prove. Honestly, I feel like Floyd should be able to easily out-point Ortiz, but I worry about age, ring-rust, and I also worry about Floyd's attitude lately.

I know it's hard for some people to understand, but cockiness comes with success. I have always adored Floyd's ability to be cocky in his success, while still being realistic. I do worry about his attitude lately because of the outside problems he has been having. He seems like a different Floyd, and that concerns me when it comes to his chances.

rockdawg21
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM

Javi, I know u asked me what I thought of the fight, and I honestly don't know right now. Mayweather has had another giant layoff, but this time he's fighting a young southpaw with a LOT to prove. Honestly, I feel like Floyd should be able to easily out-point Ortiz, but I worry about age, ring-rust, and I also worry about Floyd's attitude lately.

I know it's hard for some people to understand, but cockiness comes with success. I have always adored Floyd's ability to be cocky in his success, while still being realistic. I do worry about his attitude lately because of the outside problems he has been having. He seems like a different Floyd, and that concerns me when it comes to his chances.
I get tired of the articles written about this fight saying that Ortiz hasn't got a chance in this fight. Floyd's last few fights have been easy to call but I agree with you on this one J.B., this is a challenge for Floyd and I'm happy to see he's chosen Ortiz for his next challenge. I honestly feel he chose Ortiz because Ortiz' style is the closest he can find to Pacquiao's style in that weight class. Nonetheless, this is a fight I'm dying to see!

JavierDLC
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM

I agree with you JB! Floyd has everything to lose and Ortiz has nothing to Lose. This is a tuff fight but in the end I still see Floyd with a Decision.

But we all know southpaws are his (Kryptonite) if you can even call it that.

rockdawg21
06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Press conference #2. Haven't watched it fully, but apparently Victor Ortiz is getting really upset at Mayweather for talking about Pacquiao at these pressers.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15706430#utm_campaign=synclickback&source=http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2011/06/photos_video_floyd_mayweather-.html&medium=15706430

rockdawg21
08-29-2011, 02:19 AM
First episode of Mayweather/Ortiz 24/7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98cLd9-eUg

JavierDLC
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
First episode of Mayweather/Ortiz 24/7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98cLd9-eUg

I cant wait for this Fight!! 3 more Weeks!!!

"Dedication... Hard Work" :laugh:

rockdawg21
08-30-2011, 03:35 AM
I cant wait for this Fight!! 3 more Weeks!!!

"Dedication... Hard Work" :laugh:
LOL, yeah, that part was funny! :laugh:

I'm excited for this one too. I laugh every time I read an article about this fight being easy for Floyd. I believe Floyd will win, but he's going to have a rough time in this one IMO. Ortiz may be able to change the "Pretty Boy" for a little while.

J.B.
08-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Best part of that 24/7 was Floyd leaning over 50 Cent's shoulder talking about how they are totally BFF while Fidy blew on his hot ravioli...:laugh:,,,,:rolleyes:

I like Victor, but I still got my money on Mayweather

J.B.
08-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I also love the Fred and Lamont Sanford part where Jr and Sr get into it...totally classic... :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

JavierDLC
08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Best part of that 24/7 was Floyd leaning over 50 Cent's shoulder talking about how they are totally BFF while Fidy blew on his hot ravioli...:laugh:,,,,:rolleyes:

I like Victor, but I still got my money on Mayweather

LoL that was Awesome :laugh:

How Bout when 50 is wearing gloves and SR is showing him how fast he still is :laugh:

I wouldn't doubt SR schooling 50 in a Sparring match.

J.B.
08-30-2011, 03:57 PM
LoL that was Awesome :laugh:

How Bout when 50 is wearing gloves and SR is showing him how fast he still is :laugh:

I wouldn't doubt SR schooling 50 in a Sparring match.

Fidy boxed golden gloves and he's also like a billion years younger, and he got shot like 8 times.....:laugh:

JavierDLC
08-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Fidy boxed golden gloves and he's also like a billion years younger, and he got shot like 8 times.....:laugh:

That's True :laugh: I forgot

I didn't know that :unsure-1:

J.B.
08-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I didn't know that :unsure-1:

Did you know that the first person to catch a pass from Brett Favre in the NFL was Brett Favre? :wink:

:laugh:

Both true stories :cool:

JavierDLC
09-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Did you guys catch the weigh ins??? :w00t:

Sh#@! got heated!!! :) This should be a great Fight!!

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 04:47 AM
Ok, so, somebody help me here...

After an infraction, and where the ref is still docking the point, shouldn't the fighters be told to go to a neutral corner and be commanded to resume boxing by saying "box" or "fight"? That's why there's a ref correct?

I believe if Ortiz wants to contest this, he could get it ruled as a no contest.

3 things I learned from this fight:

1. Joe Cortez is a horrible ref.
2. "Money" Mayweather is cheap?! (I'm a little confused with the irony of that statement :laugh:)
3. Victor Ortiz is an idiot.
BONUS: Larry Merchant vs. Floyd Mayweather is coming soon! That was AWESOME!!! :happydancing:
BONUS 2: Protect Yourself At All Times, lol

J.B.
09-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Victor was the one who threw a cheap headbutt which clearly seemed intentional, and regardless of that is illegal.

When they met in the center of the ring they touched gloves and Floyd put his hands up. That should have told Ortiz right there that it was time to fight, not time to try hugging him a second time after splitting his lip with an intentional headbutt. I think that ending was probably what we would have seen had it made it to the later rounds. Victor was pressing the action at times, but he isn't on Floyd's level and we were clearly watching that unfold.

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I'm upset with how it ended as I feel it was a cheap shot on Floyd's part, but Ortiz was an idiot, especially after the wimpy hook landed, he should have been ready to fight. He had more than enough time to get away from that right cross.

The double irony was that Ortiz DEFINITELY started the cheap shots and they were the ones complaining to the ref about Floyd's elbows, lol

Oh, and Miss Foxy said "Tell him [J.B.] I said I wuv him!!"

J.B.
09-18-2011, 05:20 AM
It's clear to see why people are gonna say that was cheap or dirty but I just don't really feel that strongly about it. I feel like the headbutt was probably an act of frustration by Ortiz because he wasn't able to really do anything to Floyd when he tried to get in close and flurry on Mayweather, and in a way it pretty much cancels it out. Essentially, Ortiz defeated himself probably way before the fight ever started. Maybe he bought into his own hype a little bit and thought it was going to be easier than it was. Once he realized how tough Floyd was he lost his cool and threw the headbutt, then stood there with his hands down against the craftiest fighter in the game. In a way, it's almost like he asked for it, but I don't think anybody would have guessed it would have been a brutal KO. :laugh:

JavierDLC
09-18-2011, 05:22 AM
You can clearly see Cortez calling time in when Ortiz went for the second hug.

Like Floyd told Larry F'ing haters are gonna hate no matter what!!!

JavierDLC
09-18-2011, 05:25 AM
It's clear to see why people are gonna say that was cheap or dirty but I just don't really feel that strongly about it. I feel like the headbutt was probably an act of frustration by Ortiz because he wasn't able to really do anything to Floyd when he tried to get in close and flurry on Mayweather, and in a way it pretty much cancels it out. Essentially, Ortiz defeated himself probably way before the fight ever started. Maybe he bought into his own hype a little bit and thought it was going to be easier than it was. Once he realized how tough Floyd was he lost his cool and threw the headbutt, then stood there with his hands down against the craftiest fighter in the game. In a way, it's almost like he asked for it, but I don't think anybody would have guessed it would have been a brutal KO. :laugh:

You're right J.B

J.B.
09-18-2011, 05:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2iEAN9-kFY&feature=player_embedded

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm picking Larry via submission round 1 :laugh:

Llamafighter
09-18-2011, 05:44 AM
My favorite part of this evening is that Tito Ortiz is getting a ton of twitter messages about the fight! LOL
he tweeted "ppl I didn't fight tonight @VICIOUSortiz did" LOL

J.B.
09-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Nonito Donaire Jr.' s take on the fight

"Protect yourself at all times. This is boxing. WHen some1 hits you once, don't look n e where else, cover your face! Once the ref says go, you better put your hands up, esp after you got deducted for an intentional headbutt, cuz your opponent doesn't have to accept your apology. And what the hell was that kiss all about?

It can be classless, it can be unsportmanike, even opportunistic, but unforunately, its still legal. Would I pull a mayweather? No. But would I pull an Ortiz and be THAT close to a fighter even IF he was saying sorry? No. Id keep arms length away."

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 05:50 AM
My favorite part of this evening is that Tito Ortiz is getting a ton of twitter messages about the fight! LOL
LOL, yeah, I saw that too!

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Nonito Donaire Jr.' s take on the fight
Yeah, I caught his tweet. Couldn't be more true.

J.B.
09-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Referee Joe Cortez

"Time was in," Cortez said. "The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal."

Bonnie
09-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Nonito Donaire Jr.' s take on the fight:

"Protect yourself at all times. This is boxing. WHen some1 hits you once, don't look n e where else, cover your face! Once the ref says go, you better put your hands up, esp after you got deducted for an intentional headbutt, cuz your opponent doesn't have to accept your apology. And what the hell was that kiss all about?

It can be classless, it can be unsportmanike, even opportunistic, but unforunately, its still legal. Would I pull a mayweather? No. But would I pull an Ortiz and be THAT close to a fighter even IF he was saying sorry? No. Id keep arms length away."

Victor did say it was a hard lesson.

He needs to repeat to himself, "No smooching in boxing...ever!" :laugh:

flo
09-18-2011, 06:05 AM
:laugh: Now I don't feel so bad...

Bonnie
09-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Referee Joe Cortez

That poor ref...he only missed the whole thing! :rolleyes: Thank goodness for video playback so he could see what happened. :laugh:

J.B.
09-18-2011, 06:12 AM
That poor ref...he only missed the whole thing! :rolleyes: Thank goodness for video playback so he could see what happened. :laugh:

Well, he didn't miss anything illegal. So it's okay :laugh:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0917/box_g_mayweather_ortiz_b5_600.jpg

check out the girl in the blue dress :laugh:

Bonnie
09-18-2011, 06:13 AM
:laugh: Now I don't feel so bad...

Bonnie
09-18-2011, 06:18 AM
Well, he didn't miss anything illegal. So it's okay :laugh:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0917/box_g_mayweather_ortiz_b5_600.jpg

check out the girl in the blue dress :laugh:

Looks like she's saying, "Hey!" She doesn't look like a Floyd fan. :laugh:

JavierDLC
09-18-2011, 06:24 AM
And Floyd Still didn't get his well deserved dues!!! O well heaters gonna hate!!

J.B.
09-18-2011, 06:25 AM

Looks like she's saying, "Hey!" She doesn't look like a Floyd fan. :laugh:

Ortiz looks like he just bit into a rotten lemon :laugh:

Bonnie
09-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Ortiz looks like he just bit into a rotten lemon :laugh:

Poor guy, he just made one too many mistakes in a row. :laugh:

logrus
09-18-2011, 06:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2iEAN9-kFY&feature=player_embedded

why all the hate? An i was saying during that fight that Floyd did look like the aggressor almost the whole fight.

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
LOL, Tito just tweeted this again:

"Ppl I didn't fight @FloydMayweather (https://twitter.com/#%21/FloydMayweather) ! That was @VICIOUSortiz (https://twitter.com/#%21/VICIOUSortiz)."

logrus
09-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I will shock the world, but I was cheering on Floyd for this fight.. I didnt even care about the pow pow at the end, but when he picked on my boy. An then his posse picked on my boy, well my friend, that was not cool... :laugh:

Llamafighter
09-18-2011, 02:42 PM
why all the hate? An i was saying during that fight that Floyd did look like the aggressor almost the whole fight.

I thought the same thing. first time I've really seen PBF really go after someone. I think that threw Ortiz off. I give all credit to FLoyd. He would have won sooner or later and Ortiz got saved from 8 more rounds of abuse.

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I thought the same thing. first time I've really seen PBF really go after someone. I think that threw Ortiz off. I give all credit to FLoyd. He would have won sooner or later and Ortiz got saved from 8 more rounds of abuse.
I've been very critical of Floyd's in-ring style over the recent years, but he's been exciting in his last 2 fights.

Llamafighter
09-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I've been very critical of Floyd's in-ring style over the recent years, but he's been exciting in his last 2 fights.

That style will get him murdered by Manny though...

F34R
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
i thought it was a cheap shot. I really hope Manny does whatever needs to be done to make that fight happen.

rockdawg21
09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Let's hope he does! LOL

The countering style is definitely Manny's poison but, he's also improved a lot since the last time he'd fought good counter punchers (adding his right hand was a big improvement). Marquez twice and in the first Morales fight, he was definitely outboxed a lot of rounds. Mayweather is far more slick than all of those guys, but I don't think Mayweather has fought anybody who can throw such a barrage of punches and match his speed. It'd be a good fight.

Bonnie
09-19-2011, 12:19 AM

You can totally see how Floyd leaves his chin up...the commentators mentioned it also. Maybe someone like Manny will take advantage of that.

billwilliams70
09-19-2011, 12:57 AM
I just watched the knockout on YouTube. I followed the fight on ESPN Dot Com, so I didn't see it live.

Ortiz's headbut was dirty and intentional. I guess he thought he could get away with it and when he was called on it, he apologized. What Mayweather did though, would be the equivelent (in my opinion) to punching someone at the opening round of an MMA fight while one fighter attempts to touch gloves. I understand the "protect yourself at all times" thing and the fact that even the ref said Money May did nothing wrong, but it just looked wrong to me.

I don't think that Pacqiao will take advantage of Mayweather's faults simply because I think that Mayweather will continue to duck him and the fight will not happen.

Enjoyed Larry Merchant's post fight interview though.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.

F34R
09-19-2011, 01:19 AM
I just watched the knockout on YouTube. I followed the fight on ESPN Dot Com, so I didn't see it live.

Ortiz's headbut was dirty and intentional. I guess he thought he could get away with it and when he was called on it, he apologized. What Mayweather did though, would be the equivelent (in my opinion) to punching someone at the opening round of an MMA fight while one fighter attempts to touch gloves. I understand the "protect yourself at all times" thing and the fact that even the ref said Money May did nothing wrong, but it just looked wrong to me.

I don't think that Pacqiao will take advantage of Mayweather's faults simply because I think that Mayweather will continue to duck him and the fight will not happen.

Enjoyed Larry Merchant's post fight interview though.

Just my two lincolns though.

Later.
exactly. spot on.

J.B.
09-19-2011, 02:56 AM
You can totally see how Floyd leaves his chin up...the commentators mentioned it also. Maybe someone like Manny will take advantage of that.

Floyd lures his opponents into thinking they have a chance when they don't. That's why Ortiz basically quit.

Pacquiao has to get by Marquez first, but if and when he does fight Floyd, my money is on Mayweather.

JavierDLC
09-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Floyd lures his opponents into thinking they have a chance when they don't. That's why Ortiz basically quit.

Pacquiao has to get by Marquez first, but if and when he does fight Floyd, my money is on Mayweather.

I agree Manny is very very good but Floyd is Smarter.

J.B.
09-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I agree Manny is very very good but Floyd is Smarter.

All the back and forth is fun, but I honestly have nothing against Pacquiao at all, and if he came out and KO'd Floyd I would applaud him. I just don't think it's gonna happen. :laugh:

J.B.
09-19-2011, 08:34 AM
LOL...Joe Cortez definitely saw what happened...:laugh:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110917-mayweather-ortiz-10p.photoblog900.jpg

Buc Nasty
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
All the back and forth is fun, but I honestly have nothing against Pacquiao at all, and if he came out and KO'd Floyd I would applaud him. I just don't think it's gonna happen. :laugh:

Me too. I like Floyd as a boxer but as a human being? Pfft.

I wouldn't pi$$ on him if he was on fire.

J.B.
09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Me too. I like Floyd as a boxer but as a human being? Pfft.

I wouldn't pi$$ on him if he was on fire.

I know he's no saint, but who is?

The guy has always been a great fighter, and he always makes me laugh.

I will laugh even more when he beats Pacquiao :laugh:

Buc Nasty
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
^^ He doesn't have to be a saint, I'd just like him to be less of an a-hole!

rearnakedchoke
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
just a bizarre fight .. ortiz' headbutt was diiiiirrrrty .. mayweather is too slick for a fighter like that .. and i have always thought that merchant was the biggest tool ever, can't stand his commentating or interviewing ...

Bonnie
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
LOL...Joe Cortez definitely saw what happened...:laugh:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110917-mayweather-ortiz-10p.photoblog900.jpg

JB, the angle of that shot is totally misleading of what was going on with Joe Cortez! :laugh: I couldn't believe it when Floyd hit Ortiz the first time, Cortez is literally, what, a foot away, if that, and he doesn't even turn his head; unfortunately Ortiz does turn his head towards Cortez as if to ask, "Did you just see that?", but Cortez is still looking toward the sidelines, and that's when Floyd knocks Ortiz out. I swear it was like a comedy of errors with Ortiz and Cortez...Floyd made out nicely though. :laugh:

I'm still unsure if Joe Cortez had told them to, "Box"...did he? :unsure-1:

JavierDLC
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
JB, the angle of that shot is totally misleading of what was going on with Joe Cortez! :laugh: I couldn't believe it when Floyd hit Ortiz the first time, Cortez is literally, what, a foot away, if that, and he doesn't even turn his head; unfortunately Ortiz does turn his head towards Cortez as if to ask, "Did you just see that?", but Cortez is still looking toward the sidelines, and that's when Floyd knocks Ortiz out. I swear it was like a comedy of errors with Ortiz and Cortez...Floyd made out nicely though. :laugh:

I'm still unsure if Joe Cortez had told them to, "Box"...did he? :unsure-1:

You can clearly see Cortez call time in with his hands and then they touch gloves... Ortiz then goes for the second touch and thats when he eats a beautiful right Hook followed by a Breathtaking Left straight! :cool:

VCURamFan
09-19-2011, 08:24 PM
You can clearly see Cortez call time in with his hands and then they touch gloves... Ortiz then goes for the second touch and thats when he eats a beautiful right Hook followed by a Breathtaking Left straight! :cool:
I believe it was a left-right, not right-left.

This is just based on what I've read, though, as I haven't gotten a chance to watch the fight yet.

F34R
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
It was a left hook, straight right.

They were in the middle of the ring, and they "hugged". Ortiz didn't go in for a second touch of gloves. As soon as his hands left Floyds body from the "gesture" FM tagged him with the hook, then straight right. It was dirty, PERIOD. He had it planned the entire time when Ortiz walked up to him to apologize. You can see it in his look.

logrus
09-19-2011, 11:08 PM
It was a left hook, straight right.

They were in the middle of the ring, and they "hugged". Ortiz didn't go in for a second touch of gloves. As soon as his hands left Floyds body from the "gesture" FM tagged him with the hook, then straight right. It was dirty, PERIOD. He had it planned the entire time when Ortiz walked up to him to apologize. You can see it in his look.

Floyd did it on purpose, otherwise hed have stayed away from the second show of sportsmanship, instead he waited til right after the break and without hesitation threw 2 punches in a split second.

I have to agree with the old guy, Floyd is to great and above 99% of the other boxers to pull something like that.

Bonnie
09-20-2011, 02:51 AM

Cortez wasn't even looking at them, he was looking towards the sidelines. The announcers were commenting on it...that Cortez was looking towards the sidelines (they think) to make sure "whoever" had started the time..something to do with "time". All I'm saying is that picture JB posted, the angle it was shot at, makes it seem like Cortez is watching the fighters as those punches are thrown. That's not how I remember it. In fact, I was thinking at the time, "Holy Smokes! This ref is totally unaware of what's taking place! Amazing!" :laugh: Plus, after Floyd hits Ortiz with that left, Ortiz immediately turns his head to look at the ref but the ref is still not looking at them, and that's when Floyd hits him with the right. I didn't see the ref zone back in and react until Ortiz hits the ground. At least that's how memory serves. :wink:

JavierDLC
09-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Cortez wasn't even looking at them, he was looking towards the sidelines. The announcers were commenting on it...that Cortez was looking towards the sidelines (they think) to make sure "whoever" had started the time..something to do with "time". All I'm saying is that picture JB posted, the angle it was shot at, makes it seem like Cortez is watching the fighters as those punches are thrown. That's not how I remember it. In fact, I was thinking at the time, "Holy Smokes! This ref is totally unaware of what's taking place! Amazing!" :laugh: Plus, after Floyd hits Ortiz with that left, Ortiz immediately turns his head to look at the ref but the ref is still not looking at them, and that's when Floyd hits him with the right. I didn't see the ref zone back in and react until Ortiz hits the ground. At least that's how memory serves. :wink:

Regardless it was beautiful :laugh:

I think Victors Intentional head Butt was way worse than Floyds Intentional Punches. I bet if it had happened the other way around nobody would be protesting or calling foul play. Anyway did I mention Im going to UFC 136 and seeing Uncle Chael Layeth Tha Smacketh Down!!! :w00t:

F34R
09-20-2011, 05:13 AM
If it had been the other way around, I'd still be protesting it. How about if two UFC guys put their hands out to touch at the start of the fight, and instead one of them just knocks out the other? What if it were Matt that got hit like that? Sucker punched basically? It's unsportsman-like, unprofessional, and dirty.

J.B.
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
LOL....

Floyd could have knocked the guy out in the first round with no BS and there would be half as many posts in this thread, simply because nobody would have a single positive thing to say about Mayweather. It's ALMOST as funny as Ortiz mentally quitting in the biggest fight of his life. It's like it would just absolutely kill some people to just man up and admit that Floyd is a great fighter.

Cortez ruled time in...bottom line. What Floyd did was completely legal, and honestly the time for "I'm sorry" had long since come and passed. What Victor did was intentional and Floyd was not obligated to accept or give a crap about his "apology hug". Especially after already getting a hug, a kiss, and touching gloves with the guy. The fight was on, and Victor should have been thinking about that rather than feeling bad about doing something he knew was wrong. He knew it was wrong when he did it, why give a crap now? Get over it and move on with life, and more importantly, THE FIGHT.

The real problem was Victor is young, and he knew he was beat so he lost his focus. Then, he got check-mated by a much craftier veteran. If people are going to attack Floyd for anything, it should be for telling the kid he would actually give him a rematch, because that ain't EVER gonna happen.

F34R
09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
It was a cheap and dirty shot, plain and simple. You don't accept a guys apologies and just barely after that knock him out. I don't care WHO did it, it was dirty.

J.B.
09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

I really don't understand why people are hanging on where Cortez's eyes were at that exact moment. That was exactly why I found that picture to be hilarious.

Everything happened very fast, and I'm sorry but if that were Big John McCarthy and this was an MMA fight, people would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Joe Cortez is one of the best in the business, and he has been for 40 years. He made the right call by deducting a point from Ortiz, and he waived the fighters together signaling time in. He is not obligated to tell Floyd; "No Floyd!!! You can't hit him because hes trying to hug you"....If anything he should have deducted another point from Ortiz for unnecessary hugging. :)

If Floyd had pulled out a weapon and cracked Ortiz in the face and Cortez missed it, this would be a different conversation, but that ain't the case. Victor left his hands down like a rookie and he got sent home with another notch in the L column and few million bucks in bank account. He should actually be happy. :wink:

J.B.
09-20-2011, 11:16 AM
You don't accept a guys apologies and just barely after that knock him out.

Actually, YES, you do...that's how this sport and many sports work.

I just watched Tim Hightower pick a fight with Paris Lennon in the Cardnials/Redskins game simply to try and draw a penalty. Then when Paris got injured later in the game Tim was one of the first guys over there to see if he was okay.

What Floyd did was FIGHT when it was time to fight. It don't really matter if casual fans realize that because they will keep tuning in just because they have an itch to see if he will lose. The only person it really matters to is Victor Ortiz, because he f**ked up and blew the biggest fight of his life.

J.B.
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I have been a Mayweather supporter for years around here, and some of you can attest to that...

I have always said I thought he was a smart guy, who knows how to play the promotional end of the sport almost as well as he knows how to box. I will even say flat-out that I think that the argument with Larry Merchant was staged.

However, I'm not sure even Floyd could have planned something like this. IF he did, it's a frigging stroke of brilliance. Now the fight with Pacquiao is even MORE marketable, because if all you haters didn't hate "Money May" before, you probably REALLY hate him now. :laugh:

There could be one hitch in everybody's giddy-up....
http://www.boxing360.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/juan-manuel-marquez.jpg

I have always said that tune-up fights are a necessary evil, but it's when that "evil" part comes around that it tends to screw up what people had in mind. Ortiz was not the spoiler, but Marquez has already fought Pac twice, and most boxing people feel he won both fights. :ninja:

J.B.
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Regardless it was beautiful :laugh:

I think Victors Intentional head Butt was way worse than Floyds Intentional Punches. I bet if it had happened the other way around nobody would be protesting or calling foul play. Anyway did I mention Im going to UFC 136 and seeing Uncle Chael Layeth Tha Smacketh Down!!! :w00t:

I agree...Victor's headbutt was intentional and, more importantly, illegal in the sport of boxing.

Floyd's shots were definitely intentional, legal, and got the job done. :wink:

Tough cookies for Ortiz. Maybe next time.....:laugh:

Although, I'm not sure that Ortiz's "next time" will come against anybody who is even remotely close to a Mayweather or Pacquiao. Big shots like that don't come often in life, and especially in boxing. He is young and should keep working hard, but if it never happens again for him he should still be happy knowing he got the chance, AND he got the paycheck! Now if he's smart he will invest that money properly and set himself up to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

One of the things I always thought was amazing about Muhammad Ali was the respect he got from other fighters simply for giving them the opportunity to fight him. They knew that win or lose, the fact that they got to lace up and stand toe to toe with Ali meant they would have a better life for themselves and their families financially. That's one of many reasons why people still consider him "the GOAT" :)

JavierDLC
09-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree...Victor's headbutt was intentional and, more importantly, illegal in the sport of boxing.

Floyd's shots were definitely intentional, legal, and got the job done. :wink:

Tough cookies for Ortiz. Maybe next time.....:laugh:

Although, I'm not sure that Ortiz's "next time" will come against anybody who is even remotely close to a Mayweather or Pacquiao. Big shots like that don't come often in life, and especially in boxing. He is young and should keep working hard, but if it never happens again for him he should still be happy knowing he got the chance, AND he got the paycheck! Now if he's smart he will invest that money properly and set himself up to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

One of the things I always thought was amazing about Muhammad Ali was the respect he got from other fighters simply for giving them the opportunity to fight him. They knew that win or lose, the fact that they got to lace up and stand toe to toe with Ali meant they would have a better life for themselves and their families financially. That's one of many reasons why people still consider him "the GOAT" :)

You're absolutely right JB. Like Floyd said even if he fights and defeats Pacquaio people will still find a way to discredit hid God Given Talent.

Not cause I have anything against him or cause Im Mexican but I really want Marquez to whoop Pacquiao. Simply for the fact that he gets all the praises and accolades for beating people Floyd has beat. Pacquiao is a great Boxer and the true Catchweight P4P fighter and to be Honest I buy all his PPV cause he is exciting.

I also agree with Floyd when he said Manny was for the most part Famous because people think he is the person that would give Floyd his first L. :laugh:

Its funny how back in 2009 Marquez was small, slow and Old to fight Floyd.
Not to mention it was unfair that Floyd was making Marquez go up in weight to 144 to fight him.. :rolleyes:

Yet fast forward to 2011 and Pacquiao is fighting him at 144 and this is going to be one of the most competitive fights in Pacquiao career??? And its totally legit since Pacquiao is the "Best Fighter Of All Times" Size doesnt matter, Speed doesnt matter and Age is out of the question in this fight. LMFAO haters are going to hate.

I am one of the many who believe Marquez beat Pacquiao in there second fight and could have gone either way on the first fight. I will definitely be rooting for Marquez in this fight. Im not lying to myself I think Pacquiao is going to stop Marquez in the later rounds but it would be crazy if Marquez beats him... and next year Floyd gives Marquez a rematch where Floyd beats him again :laugh:

Max
09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
How about if two UFC guys put their hands out to touch at the start of the fight, and instead one of them just knocks out the other?

thats not what happened at all though. Ortiz put his gloves out and Mayweather touched gloves, after that Ortiz then decided he wanted to hug it out for a while. Mayweather was fine with the glove touch, he wanted no part of the hug though.

Oh and Ortiz didnt turn his head and look at the ref after Mayweather caught him with the punch, the punch caused his head to turn to the left.

Bonnie
09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I really don't understand why people are hanging on where Cortez's eyes were at that exact moment. That was exactly why I found that picture to be hilarious.

Everything happened very fast, and I'm sorry but if that were Big John McCarthy and this was an MMA fight, people would be giving him the benefit of the doubt. Joe Cortez is one of the best in the business, and he has been for 40 years. He made the right call by deducting a point from Ortiz, and he waived the fighters together signaling time in. He is not obligated to tell Floyd; "No Floyd!!! You can't hit him because hes trying to hug you"....If anything he should have deducted another point from Ortiz for unnecessary hugging. :)

If Floyd had pulled out a weapon and cracked Ortiz in the face and Cortez missed it, this would be a different conversation, but that ain't the case. Victor left his hands down like a rookie and he got sent home with another notch in the L column and few million bucks in bank account. He should actually be happy. :wink:

I agree with you, it doesn't matter, I just thought that was crazy and funny about the ref. And you're right, Ortiz should have had his guard up and his hands up, and...no hugg'n and kiss'n! :laugh: This boxing stuff is really entertaining! I need to start watching more of it! :laugh:

F34R
09-20-2011, 11:27 PM
thats not what happened at all though. Ortiz put his gloves out and Mayweather touched gloves, after that Ortiz then decided he wanted to hug it out for a while. Mayweather was fine with the glove touch, he wanted no part of the hug though.

Oh and Ortiz didnt turn his head and look at the ref after Mayweather caught him with the punch, the punch caused his head to turn to the left.

Sorry... but you're wrong. He allowed Ortiz to put his hands around him, and when Ortiz went to break he landed those punches. It was a sucker punch, no two ways about it.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't have anything to do with who FM is. I don't care that he won, and I don't care about him in the least. I thought the move was a cheap shot, period. Regardless of who won, lost, etc. I'm not a hater, a supporter, etc. I am just someone with an opinion on how it looked to me.

JavierDLC
09-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Sorry... but you're wrong. He allowed Ortiz to put his hands around him, and when Ortiz went to break he landed those punches. It was a sucker punch, no two ways about it.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't have anything to do with who FM is. I don't care that he won, and I don't care about him in the least. I thought the move was a cheap shot, period. Regardless of who won, lost, etc. I'm not a hater, a supporter, etc. I am just someone with an opinion on how it looked to me.

I here you but I dont agree with you :)

J.B.
09-21-2011, 12:55 AM

Floyd had his hands up when they were waived to the center of the ring, and that right there should have told Victor it was time to fight. People can call it a sucker punch if they want, but it really just sounds silly to me especially considering how Ortiz just threw what was a clearly intentional head-butt. He already let Ortiz give him a hug and a kiss and he touched gloves with Ortiz as they were circling around and Cortez was deducting a point. If you are saying it's cheap because Floyd "allowed" Victor to step in and try and hug him a second time, I would have to disagree. If that is cheap, then I can make an argument that any tactic which fakes a person out in any sport is "cheap"...lol, Still, that wasn't what it looked like. It didn't look like Floyd was TRYING to bait Ortiz into keeping his guard down, he just took advantage of it. It's not like Floyd put his arms out and embraced Ortiz. He was ready to fight and Victor was ready to hug.

The comparison to two MMA fighters putting their hands up to touch gloves at the start of a fight isn't even in the same galaxy as what happened with Floyd and Victor. It would be more like if two guys were fighting MMA and one of them just threw an intentional straight front kick to the balls of his opponent, then when they restarted the fight, the ball kicker sticks his hand up to touch gloves and the opponent wants no part of it.

J.B.
09-21-2011, 01:31 AM
Here is an article that trashes Floyd for giving Ortiz what he had coming. :laugh:

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=43989#ixzz1YXpR6K6G
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Mitch Abramson

Am I the only one disturbed by what happened to Victor Ortiz on Saturday? Am I the only one who felt a little embarrassed for the sport after witnessing the ending? Am I the only one who thinks the line of defense used to justify Floyd Mayweather�s actions, that Ortiz should have protected himself at all times, is absurd? Does it really matter what I think? Not in the grand scheme of things, but let me say this: I started the day as a Mayweather fan, a not-so-secret admirer, and walked away shaking my head after the card, wondering if I would ever watch the guy fight again.

For someone who values the importance of sportsmanship, whose favorite part of the fight (or one of his favorite parts) is when two fighters embrace in a show of mutual respect after the fight, Saturday�s ending was a little nauseating. After Ortiz was deducted a point for a head butt in the fourth round, he tried to embrace Mayweather as if requesting forgiveness. When he pulled back from the hug, Mayweather quickly unloaded on him while Ortiz's hands were down, dropping him for the count.

I kept asking myself if some of the great fighters of the sport, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Sugar Ray Leonard- if they would have ended a fight that way, hitting an opponent while his hands were down after touching gloves or hugging it out. I kept thinking they wouldn�t. Manny Pacquiao? Definitely not. I thought, maybe I�m being a little na�ve here, that maybe I was looking at it from the wrong angle. I phoned Evander Holyfield on a Sunday night. Who better than Evander to weigh-in on a rough-and-tumble fight? (Besides, in what other sport can you just phone an all-time great on a whim and ask him questions?)

The �Real Deal,� said he wasn�t surprised that Floyd retaliated like he did after he was butted. Holyfield was of course looking at the fight from the perspective of a fighter who has been fouled repeatedly, as Mayweather was against Ortiz. (Ortiz tried to butt Mayweather a number of times whenever he got him in a corner.)

�Of course you�re dealing with someone who naturally is going to get you back,� Holyfield said in his southern drawl, speaking of Mayweather. �And there is no doubt in my mind that he would get him back, and of course he waited for the perfect time to do it. And what happened is, he took advantage of the things that had been said, you know, you have to hold your hands up all the time.�

Holyfield thinks Joe Cortez, the referee on Saturday, should have given Ortiz five minutes to rest after he was decked by Mayweather because he obviously wasn�t ready for the onslaught that put him down at 2:59 of the fourth round.

As for whether Holyfield would have reacted the same way that Mayweather had, attacking Ortiz when he wasn�t ready, Holyfield said, �No,� though he can understand why Mayweather did.

�Me personally, I wouldn�t because that�s just not me,� said Holyfield, who is in discussions for a title bout with WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin, perhaps for Dec. 17. �But it�s hard to say if that happens,� Holyfield went on. �If someone fouled you on purpose first, every person that I know who is tough already has an attitude already, [so anything can happen].�

Holyfield drew from his own history, speaking of a bout in 1989 with Michael Dokes. He said that Dokes kept hitting him low, without getting a point deducted. Eventually, Holyfield took matters into his own hands.

�The referee kept saying he was going to take a point away, but he never did,� Holyfield said. �The next time he did it, I didn�t wait for the referee. I hit him [low] on purpose. He went down and then I stood over him and started talking to him. This is the kind of stuff that happens.�

Holyfield�s point is that stuff, sometimes sordid stuff, happens in boxing. Sometimes if a fighter fouls another fighter hard enough, it may cause the other fighter to foul back in frustration, which is kind of what Mayweather did, without being called on the foul.

�In the fight on Saturday, it�s a little different because the referee did take away a point from Ortiz,� Holyfield said. �He did take the point off.�

So does that mean Floyd was wrong to do what he did? Holyfield wasn�t sure.

Holyfield watched the fight on television surrounded by people who were making a lot of noise, and he admitted it was hard to hear what the referee was saying to the fighters at the end. I watched the fight in the Ziegfeld Theater in Manhattan, with around 20 other hardcore fans in my company. We all saw Mayweather dominate the first three rounds, take an illegal head butt from Ortiz in the fourth- for which a point was deducted- and watch, as if in slow motion, when a clearly oblivious Ortiz dropped his guard to embrace Mayweather, apologizing again for butting him. Mayweather leaned in, and then quickly nailed Ortiz twice while his hands were down. Fight over.

Since Cortez had instructed the fighters to resume the fight after the penalty, Mayweather was not wrong to carry on as he did. But was he morally right to continue the fight like that? Was he justified to conduct himself like that? Did he do the right thing when Ortiz clearly wasn�t ready? Did he act like a champion in that moment when he chopped Ortiz down with a left-hook, right-hand combination? Did he act like a role model in that instant? Am I being a bit dramatic here? Perhaps. But I don�t think Mayweather comported himself like a champion. He was winning the fight. He would have stopped Ortiz eventually. It was only a matter of time. I wanted to see Floyd break down Ortiz systematically.

I wanted a conventional ending. Instead, the ending was messy and painted the sport as disorganized and chaotic and lawless even if Mayweather was within his rights to do what he did. It just didn�t look right. Cortez didn�t help things. He should have been close to the fighters at the end. Instead, he was talking to someone outside the ring, not even paying attention. Maybe he could have coordinated that last embrace between the fighters a little better.

In any event, Mayweather shouldn�t have attacked a defenseless Ortiz, just as he did against Arturo Gatti more than six years ago when Gatti was leveled by a left hook he didn�t see because he was too busy talking to the referee. Mayweather revealed himself to be, once again, a win-at-all-costs fighter who doesn�t care how he does it, just as long as he gets his hand raised at the end. And of course Ortiz was too trusting and na�ve. Not ready for the big time, or a ring predator like Mayweather.

No one can doubt Mayweather�s genius in the ring. He�s a ring savant, a brilliant strategist. He will probably go down as one of the best defensive fighters ever, one of its smartest tacticians the sport has seen. But no matter how strange he acted outside the ring, I always fancied him a sportsman, someone who respected the sport�s unspoken etiquette because of his background, from his father to his uncle to his amateur pedigree. Mayweather always seemed to train hard, always came prepared. He was a student of the game, it seemed. He�s still most of those things, just not the sportsman part. And to me, that�s a big deal. It's simple, really. Mayweather should have waited a second until Ortiz put his hands up.

This is boxing, and the fact that he called up EVANDER HOLYFIELD for a comment on this is just hilarious. First off, Abramson isn't one to paint the prettiest picture of Floyd, which has become commonplace amongst boxing/sports writers because people love to eat it up and revel in the fact that they dislike Floyd.

It's great how he tries to use the names of Ali, Robinson, and Pacquiao and make them all seem like saints, but then paints Floyd as evil, opportunistic, and less of a champion. PLEASE, give me a break. Ali and Robertson were crafty ring veterans who knew how to work the fight as well as anybody and both had made some VERY questionable moral decisions in their day, and Pacquiao is the new media darling so good luck saying anything bad about him. Seriously though...Evander Holyfield? Mr. Head-Butt himself? Everybody remembers Tyson biting Holyfield's ear, but does anybody know that Holyfield once bit a guy in the amateurs, or that Tyson bit him after being headbutted repeatedly both times they fought?

It's totally fair to say that Floyd could have waited for Ortiz to get his guard up, and I can understand that point of view, but to carry on about this is just ridiculous. Ortiz lost his cool and committed a serious foul. What if that head-butt had split Floyd's eye open and ended the fight prematurely? That would have been MUCH worse than what Floyd did IMO. The time for apologies had come and passed and it was time for Ortiz to fight. He made the mistake of losing his cool and throwing his head, and then he paid the price for not following one of the sports oldest rules "protect yourself at all times". If Abramson can't stomach that he should start writing articles on pro chess or some sport where people don't actually hit each other.

J.B.
09-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Lyle Fitzsimmons rips Victor Ortiz and Larry Merchant :laugh:

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=43978#ixzz1YYFR5A49
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Lyle Fitzsimmons

It�s official, folks � Victor Ortiz is not in Kansas anymore.

And while I concede his hard-luck back story is still second to none, it�s just as clear that he came to Las Vegas Saturday night to participate in an event for which he was woefully unprepared.

In practical terms, the poor kid brought a knife to a gunfight.

Oh sure, he�d done all the right things going in. He flexed for the 24/7 cameras, boldly claimed Floyd Mayweather Jr. had outlived his shelf life and arrived at the MGM Grand ring with a strut typically reserved for those with more than one title-fight win in a seven-year pro career.

And once inside, bless his heart, he kept trying to play that leading man role. He landed a couple left-hand leads. He pushed and shoved his elder in the corners. And he resurrected a maniacal smile from the Berto fight during the short bursts when combat was intensified.

But when the fourth round arrived, he got himself in over his, errr� head.

Perhaps determined to exact a pound of flesh before being swept away by decidedly negative momentum, Ortiz initiated another roughhouse scrum, and � before Joe Cortez could intervene fairly and firmly � sprung forward on his toes to drive his skull into Mayweather�s face.

The true intent of such a punk move� who really knows?

Maybe he was looking to break a nose. Maybe he was hoping to open a cut. Or maybe, as he tried to sell to gullible microphones and cameras in the aftermath, maybe it was just an accident.

Regardless, the angry look on Mayweather�s face was visible.

And as he impatiently paced while waiting for Cortez to issue a penalty, his message was undeniable.

�You, my friend� just wrote a check that your ass can�t cash.�

The five-division elite showed his ire with a combo as vicious as there�s been this side of Manila, reducing his foe to ex-champ status and riling an 80-year-old blowhard to the edge of verbal senility.

It was both predictable and pathetic from the agenda-wielding analyst, whom Mayweather has clearly rubbed the wrong way since beginning a weight-class climb with a 130-pound belt in 1998.

The old coot has recited the same drivel repeatedly in Floyd�s HBO afterglows, most recently eschewing deserved praise to claim �everyone knew going in� that he�d whip Shane Mosley in 2010.

Of course, when his network�s latest cash cow beat the same guy a year later� it was parade-worthy.

And apparently, the fact the new cow was twice as heavily favored as his predecessor didn�t matter to the grumpy old man, who�s never been one to let truth get in the way of a good tantrum.

But fortunately on Saturday night, reason eventually prevailed.

Not only did the geezer�s own ringside colleague � a Hall of Famer named Emanuel Steward � immediately say Mayweather had done nothing wrong in answering Ortiz�s foul with brutal fairness, but Cortez spoke up as well later with a similar diagnosis.

�Time was in,� he said.

�The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal.�

So, while Larry�s bratty in-ring challenge has been the lead item in early-week post-mortems, it�s an unfair smokescreen to obscure yet another elite performance.

Not only did the new kingpin beat a streaking title-holder 10 years younger and 14 pounds heavier, but he did so in a manner � stalking the bigger man, pressing the fight � that ought to at least temporarily shut the yaps of those still insisting he�s a safety-first, exchange-averse bore.

And while I know he�ll have pom-poms ready for November�s PPV sequel, even Larry�s got to look in the mirror and realize the guy who�s been feasting on table scraps � De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley� Marquez � might not really be ready for a seat at the grown-up table when push comes to shove.

My only fear for Mr. Merchant?

The shock of actually seeing Mayweather topple his hero might just kill him.

JavierDLC
09-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Lyle Fitzsimmons rips Victor Ortiz and Larry Merchant :laugh: Not only did the geezer�s own ringside colleague � a Hall of Famer named Emanuel Steward � immediately say Mayweather had done nothing wrong in answering Ortiz�s foul with brutal fairness, but Cortez spoke up as well later with a similar diagnosis.

�Time was in,� he said.

�The fighter needed to keep his guard up. Mayweather did nothing illegal.�

So, while Larry�s bratty in-ring challenge has been the lead item in early-week post-mortems, it�s an unfair smokescreen to obscure yet another elite performance.

Not only did the new kingpin beat a streaking title-holder 10 years younger and 14 pounds heavier, but he did so in a manner � stalking the bigger man, pressing the fight � that ought to at least temporarily shut the yaps of those still insisting he�s a safety-first, exchange-averse bore.

And while I know he�ll have pom-poms ready for November�s PPV sequel, even Larry�s got to look in the mirror and realize the guy who�s been feasting on table scraps � De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley� Marquez � might not really be ready for a seat at the grown-up table when push comes to shove.

My only fear for Mr. Merchant?

The shock of actually seeing Mayweather topple his hero might just kill him.

This is Pure Gold :w00t: :laugh: :happydancing:

F34R
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I agree with that article you posted in post #87. Maybe it's the sense of fair play, sportsmanship, and character, that brings me there.

rearnakedchoke
09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
ortiz should been dq'd for the butt ... butting head comes with the territory, but he put his whole weight into that .. but if floyd said he couldn't continue, people would be saying he coulda gone on and just wanted the dq .. LOL

J.B.
09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree with that article you posted in post #87. Maybe it's the sense of fair play, sportsmanship, and character, that brings me there.

I think it was definitely fair game for Floyd to throw those punches. Essentially, the problem a lot of people have with what happened boils down to an "unwritten rule", and in that case people should remember another "unwritten rule" when it comes to throwing cheap shots in the sport of boxing,,,If you turn it into a street-fight, don't get mad when your opponent pays you back. Ortiz simply got what he had coming, and Floyd did it within the rules of the sport after Ortiz spent all that time complaining in the weeks before the fight that Floyd is a "dirty" fighter. It was Victor who turned the fight dirty after being frustrated for 3.5 rounds,

I realize you are saying you don't care who did what, or who Floyd is or isn't, but the fact is that if the roles were reversed and it was Floyd who threw the headbutt and then got KO'd like that, most of the people complaining would change their tune. That article is just one of many that are designed to prop up Manny Pacquiao and tear down Floyd Mayweather. The fact that so many people have come out in articles, on tv/radio, or on web-forums saying "Manny Pacquiao wouldn't do that" is enough to make me projectile vomit all over my screen.

F34R
09-21-2011, 08:26 PM
I can't speak for most of the people, or anyone else for that matter, but I certainly wouldn't change my tune. You could substitute the names of the players for any name you want, wouldn't matter to me.

Hell, I've only actually seen him fight three times, don't really follow boxing that much unless it's a big name fight, and that's still a rarity for me. I didn't watch it to pull for either fighter. I know FM is a big name, really good fighter, so I tuned it to watch. I didn't have any expectations of either fighter, etc.

Watching what happened, and applying my own personal feelings, beliefs, etc., it was a cheap shot, dirty, etc. Whether he had it coming or not, doesn't really factor in. The guy did something wrong, was penalized. I understand both sides, mine, and the one you present. Holyfield kinda touched on those points, so I'm definitely not knocking your opinion on it. If you feel that he deserved to get sucker punched, so be it. I'm not trying to change how anyone feels about it.

rockdawg21
09-22-2011, 03:32 AM
LOL, check this out! An unhappy buyer calls DirecTV to request a refund for the PPV and he GETS IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76A2KYZuts&feature=player_embedded#

Bonnie
09-22-2011, 04:53 AM
The fact that so many people have come out in articles, on tv/radio, or on web-forums saying "Manny Pacquiao wouldn't do that" is enough to make me projectile vomit all over my screen.

Now there's a visual. :laugh: I thought you were going to say, "is enough to make me headbutt someone." :laugh:

LOL, check this out! An unhappy buyer calls DirecTV to request a refund for the PPV and he GETS IT!!!

I can't believe DIRECTV agreed to do that. The guy acted like DIRECTV was responsible for, or had some control over, how the fight went. And, Floyd was "his" pick to win! This is nuts! :laugh:

J.B.
09-22-2011, 04:59 AM
I can't speak for most of the people, or anyone else for that matter, but I certainly wouldn't change my tune. You could substitute the names of the players for any name you want, wouldn't matter to me.

Hell, I've only actually seen him fight three times, don't really follow boxing that much unless it's a big name fight, and that's still a rarity for me. I didn't watch it to pull for either fighter. I know FM is a big name, really good fighter, so I tuned it to watch. I didn't have any expectations of either fighter, etc.

Watching what happened, and applying my own personal feelings, beliefs, etc., it was a cheap shot, dirty, etc. Whether he had it coming or not, doesn't really factor in. The guy did something wrong, was penalized. I understand both sides, mine, and the one you present. Holyfield kinda touched on those points, so I'm definitely not knocking your opinion on it. If you feel that he deserved to get sucker punched, so be it. I'm not trying to change how anyone feels about it.

I don't care about changing how you or anybody else feels either, but I think it's important for both sides to be heard. I also think that to say the fact that he had it coming doesn't really factor in isn't really fair, because I think it does. What Ortiz did was much worse than what Floyd did, and it was illegal. Floyd didn't break any rules in the fight, and if Ortiz had paid as much attention to videos of Floyd as he acted like he did, he should have known that Floyd would take advantage of such a dumb move, especially after he just split his lip with an intentional head-butt.

Regardless if people think it was cheap or not, nobody should misrepresent what happened by acting as if Floyd baited Ortiz into that hug. Floyd didn't open his arms to hug him back, he wanted to fight. Some people act like Victor felt bad about what he did, but I ain't buying it. He knew what he did, and I think he did it on purpose. I think he did it because he was frustrated and he knew what was coming.

J.B.
09-22-2011, 05:02 AM

The guy seems like a tool, but good for him if he got to watch a great night of fights for free.

Love Floyd or hate Floyd, he did it again and there will be more ticked off haters when he beats Khan or Pacquiao next. He will laugh straight to the bank just like he has for 13 years.

Buc Nasty
09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I watched it for free and still felt cheated. :laugh:

rockdawg21
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I watched it for free and still felt cheated. :laugh:
LOL, I'm with that. Found a good stream, and still felt like I ended up watching a WWE match. Jim Ross should have been commentating this one.

JavierDLC
09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/videos/

Dana says it like it is here I didn't expect him to say something positive about Floyd ever! :)

From minute 8:00 all the way to the end!! :)

J.B.
09-22-2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.mmafighting.com/videos/

Dana says it like it is here I didn't expect him to say something positive about Floyd ever! :)

From minute 8:00 all the way to the end!! :)

I agree with Dana to a certain extent when it comes to Cortez, but I think Dana may be a little more hard-line when it comes to his opinions on reffing than most people given the fact that he himself is a fight promoter. That's not to say Dana is wrong though, not at all.

Cortez should have sent them to neutral corners, and sure he could have actually taken 2 points for the head-butt being intentional. However, lets not act like Ortiz was throwing headbutts like that one all night long either. He was rubbing heads a little bit, but there is a big difference between that and the last one he threw. Point deductions are a big deal, and the headbutt did happen very fast. I've watched it a ton of times now, so every time I see it I already know what I'm looking at, but when I watched it live the first time I remember not being exactly sure of what Ortiz did in the moment until I saw the replay. So to say Joe Cortez screwed up by not taking 2 points is kinda nitpicking IMO. Cortez is old, and he's been involved in a few bad calls in his day, but he's also a hall of famer and he DOES know what he is doing. It's no different in baseball where some umpires just have slightly different strike-zones. It's part of the "human element" of the sport. So, yeah, Dana is right in what he says about Cortez making some mistakes in some respects, but I honestly don't think it played the biggest role in the outcome of the fight. That rests solely on the shoulders of Victor Ortiz IMO.

JavierDLC
09-23-2011, 12:10 AM
. So, yeah, Dana is right in what he says about Cortez making some mistakes in some respects, but I honestly don't think it played the biggest role in the outcome of the fight. That rests solely on the shoulders of Victor Ortiz IMO.

i totally agree.

J.B.
09-23-2011, 02:34 AM
I was just browsing some old pics and came across this...

Makes me LOL every time :laugh:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/shockdamonkey/74083399.jpg

J.B.
09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey, don't stop till you get enough.....

Floyd would agree...even though you guys hate this guy too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tyc3Zjp25g

matthughesfan21
09-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey, don't stop till you get enough.....

Floyd would agree...even though you guys hate this guy too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tyc3Zjp25g
Hate Anderson or Jacko?

J.B.
09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Hate Anderson or Jacko?

Both.

and that's what makes that video doubley awesome. :wink:

matthughesfan21
09-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Both.

and that's what makes that video doubley awesome. :wink:I hate Jacko, but I love Anderson, one of my favorite fighters to watch

J.B.
09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I hate Jacko, but I love Anderson, one of my favorite fighters to watch

When you sell like 300 million albums, you are bound to have more than a few that don't like ya. :laugh:

matthughesfan21
09-23-2011, 09:54 PM
When you sell like 300 million albums, you are bound to have more than a few that don't like ya. :laugh:His success has nothing to do with my dislike

J.B.
09-23-2011, 10:01 PM
His success has nothing to do with my dislike

That's what they say about Floyd too :laugh:

For the record, I'm not saying it's his success that causes your dislike. What I am saying is you can't expect everybody to like you, especially when you are that successful.

matthughesfan21
09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
That's what they say about Floyd too :laugh:

For the record, I'm not saying it's his success that causes your dislike. What I am saying is you can't expect everybody to like you, especially when you are that successful.I don't like Floyd, but I don't hate him either...He's arrogant and a loud mouth, but I really pay no attention to him, I could care less....But Floyd has also never been accused of child molestation, so not really comparable to jacko imo

rockdawg21
09-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I don't like Floyd, but I don't hate him either...He's arrogant and a loud mouth, but I really pay no attention to him, I could care less....But Floyd has also never been accused of child molestation, so not really comparable to jacko imo
He has twice been accused of woman beating though. The most recent being in front of his own children.

matthughesfan21
09-24-2011, 03:01 AM
He has twice been accused of woman beating though. The most recent being in front of his own children.I was not aware of that...In that case.........:loser:

JavierDLC
09-24-2011, 06:10 AM
He has twice been accused of woman beating though. The most recent being in front of his own children.

Im still to understand how a price fighter like Floyd can beat a woman yet she has no scars pictures evidence of the event yet they can totally destroy their opponent in the ring???

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/ripperowens666/Floyd-Mayweather-And-Victor-Ortiz.jpg

"But I ant saying shes a Gold Digger But She Aint Messing With No Broke Ni##@!"

J.B.
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't like Floyd, but I don't hate him either...He's arrogant and a loud mouth, but I really pay no attention to him, I could care less....But Floyd has also never been accused of child molestation, so not really comparable to jacko imo

The key word is "accused".

There were never any charges filed in the 93 case, and if I am not mistaken the kid admitted he lied and was coached by his dad. Which was pretty obvious when looking over the facts. If that really happened, why did the father who was a dentist have to drug his kid to get him to say it happened on a taped recording? The dad also killed himself a few years back. The second family who made accusations were also welfare frauds who were busted having their kids shoplift for them. Then on top of that, not a single charge in the 2005 case held up and he was found not guilty on all counts. Every other account that came through the tabloids were based on stories from people that worked for Jackson and were let go, and they also all got paid for their stories. Not the most credible sources IMO.

As for Floyd beating up his ex, we only know what we have heard in the media, but I do know that there haven't been hundreds of other women who came forward to say Floyd never laid a hand on them. I'm not saying one way or the other in terms of Floyd and his situation, but we do know that there were thousands of kids who visited Neverland and a LOT have come forward and said nothing like that ever happened. Was Jackson a saint? Absolutely not. Was he a child molester? I don't think so.

J.B.
09-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Im still to understand how a price fighter like Floyd can beat a woman yet she has no scars pictures evidence of the event yet they can totally destroy their opponent in the ring???

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/ripperowens666/Floyd-Mayweather-And-Victor-Ortiz.jpg

I am inclined to agree, but I also wouldn't doubt that there was an argument that got out of hand. If Floyd did what the media reported happened, then that's pretty crappy, but in domestic situations like that in my experience the truth tends to fall somewhere in the middle. What' I found to be most hilarious is that they actually charged him with theft because he supposedly took her I-Phone...the one that he pays for :laugh:

rockdawg21
09-25-2011, 01:59 AM

Yeah, that one's a little fishy.

rearnakedchoke
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
The key word is "accused".

There were never any charges filed in the 93 case, and if I am not mistaken the kid admitted he lied and was coached by his dad. Which was pretty obvious when looking over the facts. If that really happened, why did the father who was a dentist have to drug his kid to get him to say it happened on a taped recording? The dad also killed himself a few years back. The second family who made accusations were also welfare frauds who were busted having their kids shoplift for them. Then on top of that, not a single charge in the 2005 case held up and he was found not guilty on all counts. Every other account that came through the tabloids were based on stories from people that worked for Jackson and were let go, and they also all got paid for their stories. Not the most credible sources IMO.

As for Floyd beating up his ex, we only know what we have heard in the media, but I do know that there haven't been hundreds of other women who came forward to say Floyd never laid a hand on them. I'm not saying one way or the other in terms of Floyd and his situation, but we do know that there were thousands of kids who visited Neverland and a LOT have come forward and said nothing like that ever happened. Was Jackson a saint? Absolutely not. Was he a child molester? I don't think so.

and to think, he could have just done this to get some money .. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

J.B.
09-26-2011, 04:08 PM
and to think, he could have just done this to get some money .. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

Before there was Youtube to exploit your kids, people did it the old fashioned way...