PDA

View Full Version : My first Jits Tourney

VCURamFan
08-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I know I've started about 1 training log for every month I've been a member of this site, so I'm not doing that again. Instead, I'm just going to announce that I've begun training for this:
http://www.usgrappling.us/wp-content/uploads/hamptondraft.jpg

This one's not a training log, I promise! I'm hoping to compete in the novice (< 9months training) Super-heavyweight (202.1 – 215.0) & absolute divisions for gi & no-gi. I will have 11 full weeks to prepare for this and have asked a friend (personal trainer w/ a BS in Exercise Science) to make a work-out program & nutrition plan. Health permitting, I'll be training 4-5 days a week, approx 11 (8 BJJ/3 MT) classes.

Like I said, this isn't a training log, so I won't be posting regularly, but if anyone's got any questions or ESPECIALLY if you've got some advice, I'd love to hear it!!

Chuck
08-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Win.

Llamafighter
08-02-2010, 08:44 PM
you'll get out of it, whatever you put into it!
Work hard and you'll do great!

Blade
08-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Hope you find a nice pair...oh wait, I read that wrong :unsure:

flo
08-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Best of luck to you, Ben, you've set yourself some fine goals! I didn't realize you would be competing in that weight class.

And, uh...I also misread the thread title at first...:ashamed:

surveyorshawn
08-03-2010, 12:01 AM
If must fight, win! :laugh:

Seriously, superheavywt is officially 207.5-221 if they are following IBJJ Federation rules. I fight at 219, and I compete at superheavyweight. Here is the best advice of all....don't cut weight and definitely play the points game. Stick to the basics. Novice divisions should have 5 min rounds. Adrenaline will make you gas much quicker than you think in your first tournaments, so train at least 10 min rounds. We trained 15 min rounds going in and none of our guys gassed at all. We did like a round robin for that. For example, if it was your round, I would roll with you for 5 min, then, with you getting no break, Nate would take my place for 5 min, then Mike would come in for the final 5 min. After that, Mike would stay in and you would go out and get replaced so Mike would be in for 15 total min. If you are just working into that, take a 1 or 2 min break between rounds and gradually decrease the break. And remember, points, points, points!! Get the points first, then try submissions when you are ahead enough that if you lose position and your opponent gains some points it won't matter.

logrus
08-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Your training logs start out great and fizzle out, all 100 threads of them lol. Good luck with the training Ill be rooting for you..

VCURamFan
08-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Hope you find a nice pair...oh wait, I read that wrong :unsure:

Best of luck to you, Ben, you've set yourself some fine goals! I didn't realize you would be competing in that weight class.

And, uh...I also misread the thread title at first...:ashamed:PERVS!!! :laugh:

If must fight, win! :laugh:

Seriously, superheavywt is officially 207.5-221 if they are following IBJJ Federation rules. I fight at 219, and I compete at superheavyweight. Here is the best advice of all....don't cut weight and definitely play the points game. Stick to the basics. Novice divisions should have 5 min rounds. Adrenaline will make you gas much quicker than you think in your first tournaments, so train at least 10 min rounds. We trained 15 min rounds going in and none of our guys gassed at all. We did like a round robin for that. For example, if it was your round, I would roll with you for 5 min, then, with you getting no break, Nate would take my place for 5 min, then Mike would come in for the final 5 min. After that, Mike would stay in and you would go out and get replaced so Mike would be in for 15 total min. If you are just working into that, take a 1 or 2 min break between rounds and gradually decrease the break. And remember, points, points, points!! Get the points first, then try submissions when you are ahead enough that if you lose position and your opponent gains some points it won't matter.Awesome advice, man, thanks!

Your training logs start out great and fizzle out, all 100 threads of them lol. Good luck with the training Ill be rooting for you..
That's why this isn't a training log!!!

rockdawg21
08-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Everytime I look at the thread, I keep reading "My first Tits Tourney". It always makes me take a second like at the title. :laugh:

VCURamFan
08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Everytime I look at the thread, I keep reading "My first Tits Tourney". It always makes me take a second like at the title. :laugh:
Do I know how to real in viewers or what?

Dana should hire me to help out with TUF!!! :happydancing:

Tyburn
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
ive put it on my wallchart :)

Try not to become too hyper if you win...peeps will think you strange if you run round the venue between submitting someone and being awarded :laugh:

TexasRN
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been to that tourney before. :laugh: Here's my advice:

1) Don't drink alcohol the night before.
2) Don't try to cut weight, really at novice it isn't worth it. All of our guys have had to learn that.
3) You will be nervous and have a rush of adrenaline. Surveryorshawn had it right, train longer to keep from gassing.
4) Don't lay and pray if you get the takedown waiting it out to win on those 2 points. That makes you look like a jerk.
5) Remember that it's supposed to be fun. That's the one that helped me the most. I just went and competed to say I'd done it. I wanted to have a good showing so as to not let my team and coach down. Other than that, I wanted to enjoy it.

That's all. For now. :laugh:

I will either come up and cheer you on, be in SC at a regatta, or possibly be camping in the mountains that weekend. I'll let you know next month because that's when the regatta schedule will be decided by the bf for his teen rowing team.

~Amy

WilliamWallace
08-25-2010, 08:21 AM
US Grappling runs good tournaments. I have done several of them. Good luck with your training!

VCURamFan
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
US Grappling runs good tournaments. I have done several of them. Good luck with your training!
Thanks! Yeah, I've been pretty impressed by what I've seen of US Grappling.

VCURamFan
10-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Weighed in tonight: 210.5lbs puts me into the Super Heavyweight division.

County Mike
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Damn Fatty!

surveyorshawn
10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Anyone heard from Ben today in regard to the tournament yet?

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you guys SO MUCH for all the prayer & support yesterday. There were a coupla times when I was feeling really run down & tired, but then O feel a surge of energy & I've got no doubt it was from y'all! I'm in the process of trying to put together a more comprehensive summary, but in the meantime y'all can go here & get the Cliff notes version: www.Twitter.com/VCURamFan.

HINT: Read from the bottom up to avoid "spoilers".

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Damn Fatty!

Haha, believe it or not, I've actually been spending the last coupla months trimming down from 217. The cut off between Super & Ultra HW (the rootless division) is 215 & I didn't wanna deal with a bunch of big guys laying on top of me for my first tourney.

surveyorshawn
10-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Man, dang, I don't want to post any spoilers myself after reading your twitter updates until you say so, so hurry up!! Lol

Tyburn
10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

:blink:

I dont understand. were the scales wrong...I know your tall...but I wouldnt have put you above middleweight.

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Man, dang, I don't want to post any spoilers myself after reading your twitter updates until you say so, so hurry up!! Lol

Haha, thanks. I'm trying to get the videos uploaded to YouTube right now. I'll post 'em as they finish.

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 09:08 PM
:blink:

I dont understand. were the scales wrong...I know your tall...but I wouldnt have put you above middleweight.

Nope, I'm a big guy, just very trim & in shape. :wink:

surveyorshawn
10-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Ben's easily that weight. I had to diet down to make superheavy weight as well, and I don't look big unless I'm standing next to other average-sized people. It is the height & frame thing. I started watching what I ate about 3 months out from the tournaments last year. I started at about 245 lbs or so & competed at 219 in my gi for the 1st one and 2 weeks later I was 208 with no gi (got the flu in between tournaments) and 212 with the gi.

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok, these first two vids are pre-tourney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZDFOYFmKY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XszaGe557qA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 10:28 PM
No-Gi SHW Match 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaquDmBsU0

VCURamFan
10-17-2010, 10:33 PM
No-Gi SHW Match 1.5 (OT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHYwhaj-eU

Neezar
10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Morning after: I dreamed last night that I OD-ed on Aleve. I'm thinking that's not such a bad idea right now. - Ben

:laugh:

CAVEMAN
10-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Good stuff, man! Keep it coming!:)

Llamafighter
10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Really good job, Ben!

VCURamFan
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Guys, I'm really sorry that it's taking me so long to get these vids up. My desktop has been having a lot of issues recently & it's been a pain trying to get things done. Plus work has been crazy & all I want to do when I get home is just crash. I'm hoping to get it all uploaded by Saturday, but we'll see.

County Mike
10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
SLACKER!

VCURamFan
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
SLACKER!
Dude, I wish it were that simple. 3 days in a row, now, I've qued up all 12 fights to upload while I'm at work. Last time I checked, I've only managed to get 4 or 5. :banghead:

Problem is that by the time I get home from work & the gym, I'm too tired to be able to really focus on the problem & figure out a solution.

rearnakedchoke
10-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Dude, I wish it were that simple. 3 days in a row, now, I've qued up all 12 fights to upload while I'm at work. Last time I checked, I've only managed to get 4 or 5. :banghead:

Problem is that by the time I get home from work & the gym, I'm too tired to be able to really focus on the problem & figure out a solution.

so you're a tired slacker ... get the videos up homie!