View Full Version : B.J. Penn says immediate rematch "in the works"

KevinD
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
B.J. Penn says immediate rematch "in the works" with new UFC champ Frankie Edgar
by Dann Stupp on Apr 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm ET
Although top contenders Gray Maynard and Kenny Florian are waiting in the wings, former champ B.J. Penn may get the first shot at newly crowned UFC champion Frankie Edgar's lightweight belt.

Penn (15-6-1 MMA, 11-6-1 UFC) dropped a decision and lost his belt to Edgar (12-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in the co-main-event of UFC 112 this past weekend on April 10.

However, Penn today said though nothing is official that he's spoken with UFC officials and that an immediate rematch is in the works and a real possibility.

"The UFC called us yesterday, and there's probably a rematch in the works with Frankie Edgar," Penn said in a short video posted on his official Web site, www.bjpenn.com. "(It's) still tentative, but it looks like they want to do the fight again.

"So we'll see what's going on. (I) just wanted to give you guys a heads-up."

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) contacted multiple sources close to the fighters and was told nothing officially has been decided. In fact, one source suggested UFC officials are considering Penn as one of a few options that also include Maynard, who's the only fighter who owns a past win over Edgar.

In recent years, UFC officials has shied away from immediate title rematches. However, a very strong case could be made for Penn, who dropped a decision that was much closer than the scores (50-45, 48-47, 49-46) indicated. Additionally, the defeat was Penn's first at 155 pounds in eight years, and prior to the loss, UFC president Dana White suggested Penn was close to cleaning out the division following a string of impressive title defenses.

If the UFC does green light Edgar vs. Penn II, a No. 1 contender's bout between Florian and Maynard is certainly a possibility. Maynard hasn't competed since January, when he edged Nate Diaz via split decision to move to 9-0 (7-0 in the UFC). White stopped short of declaring Maynard the top contender after the UFC Fight Night 20 victory and instead awarded the title shot to Edgar.

On Monday Maynard told MMAjunkie.com he prefers to fight for the title now.

"If I get a chance to go for the belt, I don't care when it is," he said. "I'll keep training and whenever they tell me, that's fine."

Florian (13-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC), who's fallen shorts in past title bids against Sean Sherk and Penn, was hospitalized on Monday with a staph infection in his knee. His manager, Ron Weinberg, told MMAjunkie.com it was a precautionary and that they expect a quick and full recovery.

Since his loss to then-champ Penn in August at UFC 101, Florian has posted stoppage wins over Clay Guida and Takanori Gomi, and he owns eight wins in his past nine fights.

In any manner, with the UFC already announcing its upcoming schedule through UFC 115 in June, a decision regarding Edgar's first title defense could come soon. One possibility for the fight is an Aug. 28 event currently planned for Boston.

KevinD
04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
very interesting, perhaps the those in charge didn't like the decision of that fight and are letting the rematch take place like shogun/machida

matthughesfan21
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
very interesting, perhaps the those in charge didn't like the decision of that fight and are letting the rematch take place like shogun/machida
lack of a true #1 contender helps also

Miss Foxy
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
He has Miss Foxy's full support!!! I <3 BJ

KevinD
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

yes that is true too. I don't want to see Gray Manard fighting for the belt.

Max
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM

I think thats the main issue. No one wants to see Maynard fight for a title and BJ killed Kenny so it makes sense if it comes down to BJ or Kenny they would pick BJ.

Vizion
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I think thats the main issue. No one wants to see Maynard fight for a title and BJ killed Kenny so it makes sense if it comes down to BJ or Kenny they would pick BJ. Why not Maynard? :huh:

logrus
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
He has Miss Foxy's full support!!! I <3 BJ

That's what she said.... :w00t:

rearnakedchoke
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
this has Bj vs Frankie as TUF coaches written all over it ... please say it ain't so ...

Max
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Why not Maynard? :huh:

cause he is boring and I dont think the UFC wants to give him a title shot

Maldonado136
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
although this is lame it is the least lame of the options. i mean i dont agree with this but it is still better than watching gray fight for the title. and like someone else said a lack of contenders is the reason behind this. I just wonder how the division will be able to grow without bj. i wish they would have given rampage an immediate rematch against forrest because that was pretty much the same situation but oh well.

rearnakedchoke
04-13-2010, 07:21 PM
although this is lame it is the least lame of the options. i mean i dont agree with this but it is still better than watching gray fight for the title. and like someone else said a lack of contenders is the reason behind this. I just wonder how the division will be able to grow without bj. i wish they would have given rampage an immediate rematch against forrest because that was pretty much the same situation but oh well.

weren't they going to, but he went postal and tried to run people over with his truck ... that's how i remember it at least ...

rearnakedchoke
04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
cause he is boring and I dont think the UFC wants to give him a title shot

huh? his last two wins have been split decisions, 6 decisions in a row and in the ufc he has knocked himself out as many times as he has knocked out his opponents ... sounds exciting to me ...

Chris F
04-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Give Matt Wiman a shot. I know he is not even in the top 10 probably but he always delivers great fights that typically take home fight of the night. :)
Plus I am a bit biased since he is from Tulsa.

ufcfan2
04-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Whatever happened to that Tyson Griffon fella :mellow:

bj44
04-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Why not Maynard? :huh:

His last two wins were split decisions against guys that arnt even top 5

Llamafighter
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Give Matt Wiman a shot. I know he is not even in the top 10 probably but he always delivers great fights that typically take home fight of the night. :)
Plus I am a bit biased since he is from Tulsa.

Wiman's fighting on the Liddell/Franklin card. I agree that he's a really exciting fighter

atomdanger
04-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Makes the most sense at LW right now.
Everybody knows BJ is a better fighter than Frankie.

It was a Fluke, BJ didn't show up, Frankie did, whatever,
they fight 10 times BJ wins 9 of them.

That along with there being no standouts at 155 at all, and rematch it is.
Gray Maynard has a decision list than even Jon Fitch is impressed with.
Tyson Griffin lost to Sherk 2 fights ago, and has 1 finish in 3 years(7 or 8 fights)
Nate Diaz only has one win, and doesn't want to fight BJ anyway.
Florian has 2 wins in a row, but nobody is interested in him again.

wavetar
04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Tyson Griffin lost to Sherk 2 fights ago, and has 1 finish in 3 years(7 or 8 fights)

Since when does losing to Sherk make you an undeserving fighter? Griffin looked great in knocking out Hermes Franca, and has won "fight of the night" honors 5 times, including his two decision losses to Sherk and Edgar. He also has wins over Guida & Tibau. I think he'd be a great first fight for Edgar.

ufcfan2
04-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Well I think besides anothe BJ rematch I think Florian is another option as well imo. I don't think Frankie and KenFlo ever fought and Kenflo has won like 2 in a row...
I'm not a huge fan of Kenflo,but after a BJ rematch there is no other and Gomi is a non-factor now imo unless he rattles off a few wins.

rearnakedchoke
04-15-2010, 12:25 AM
this is the only fight that makes sense ...

Buc Nasty
04-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Gray isn't impressive and while KenFlo has got back to winning ways, both opponents have not been top contenders so I say Gray v KenFlo makes perfect sense. BJ v Frankie was so close it deserves a rematch.

Buc Nasty
04-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Or maybe KenFlo v Tyson Griffin, that would be interesting.

Spiritwalker
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Gray isn't impressive and while KenFlo has got back to winning ways, both opponents have not been top contenders so I say Gray v KenFlo makes perfect sense. BJ v Frankie was so close it deserves a rematch.

Other than Maynard has beaten Edgar.. I would agree with that.

Gray has a great gound game.. just most people find it "boring"

Vizion
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I see the BJ excuse wagon is rolling out again :laugh: So, BJ loses a decision fight to Edgar, yet, because so close he (BJ) deserves an immediate rematch?? Puh-leesse....he needs to get in line for the belt...just like everybody else in the division.

Just because Gray is "boring" doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the next shot at the title, that is a total cop out excuse. BJ nuthuggerai, entranced by his shiny balding head want to see their guy get back to the title, and that's all. I

He needs to go through the proper procedure people, wake up, this nepotism towards BJ needs to quit :angry:

Miss Foxy
04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I see the BJ excuse wagon is rolling out again :laugh: So, BJ loses a decision fight to Edgar, yet, because so close he (BJ) deserves an immediate rematch?? Puh-leesse....he needs to get in line for the belt...just like everybody else in the division.

Just because Gray is "boring" doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the next shot at the title, that is a total cop out excuse. BJ nuthuggerai, entranced by his shiny balding head want to see their guy get back to the title, and that's all. I

He needs to go through the proper procedure people, wake up, this nepotism towards BJ needs to quit :angry:

And I can see and smell the BJ haters too.. :angry:

Vizion
04-15-2010, 07:54 PM
And I can see and smell the BJ haters too.. :angry: Define to me how my argument is in error. Why should Gray Maynard be passed over for BJ?

Miss Foxy
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Define to me how my argument is in error. Why should Gray Maynard be passed over for BJ?
I am not even going to waste keystrokes. Your gonna see it your way and I am going to see it my way.. End of story. It's just lame you call us BJ nuthuggers. Who's nuts you hug? Exactly!:laugh:

Blade
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I think BJ won the first 3 rounds and I didn't even see the fight yet! :w00t:

flo
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
BJ nuthuggerai, entranced by his shiny balding head want to see their guy get back to the title, and that's all.

I don't have a preference, I like both BJ and Frankie, but I thought that was hilarious. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

J.B.
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Define to me how my argument is in error. Why should Gray Maynard be passed over for BJ?

I am not a BJ nuthugger and I absolutely think that BJ is more deserving of an immediate re-match than Gray Maynard is of a title shot right now.

That's not to say that Maynard is not right there in the mix, but BJ has as many fights as Edgar and Maynard combined, and just an overall better resume. It was a close fight and BJ had successfully defended the 155 title numerous times, not like when GSP got KO'd in his very first title defense.

Max
04-15-2010, 08:57 PM

At most all BJ needs is one win and then he should get a rematch. Both times Matt lost his title it was one fight and then a rematch. GSP never even defended his title when he lost to Serra had one fight and then got a title shot. Randy's whole UFC history is about losing and getting title shots after 0 or 1 win.

The fact remains that Maynard needs to beat a top contender for his title shot, aside from Edgar, he has beat mostly min level fighters. BJ ran through the LW div and with the fight as close as it was it makes sense for him to get a title shot. Its just like the Machida vs Shogun fight.

flo
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Good points, JB.

flo
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Ditto to what Max said.

Vizion
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Bah...Max, you at least are being fair. I agree, BJ should have to fight (at least) once. JB - it wasn't a very controversial decision. I don't think Bj gets another shot till he proves himself up the ladder.

Miss Foxy - I hug the nuts of Edgar and anyone who BJ fights, because I can't stand BJ EXACTLY :laugh:

J.B.
04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Bah...Max, you at least are being fair. I agree, BJ should have to fight (at least) once. JB - it wasn't a very controversial decision. I don't think Bj gets another shot till he proves himself up the ladder.

Miss Foxy - I hug the nuts of Edgar and anyone who BJ fights, because I can't stand BJ EXACTLY :laugh:

Actually, quite a few people feel like Penn won the fight.

It was a close fight, not even BJ haters can deny that.

I am not saying that it would be a BAD thing if they made BJ fight an eliminator, but I wouldn't be mad if they didn't make him.

Max
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM

clearly if the UFC is just going to give him a rematch right away then they feel like it may be a little controversial. And how can you say it was not controversial? A lot of people think BJ won that fight and in fact every play-by-play ive read has Penn winning or the fight being a tie.

Max
04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Looks like its gonna happen. The UFC is setting up Florian v Maynard

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/15/1424604/report-kenny-florian-vs-gray

All that talk about an immediate rematch between former UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn and newly-minted division kingpin Frankie Edgar is starting to sound more and more plausible.

That's because the Boston Herald is reporting that two-time number one contender Kenny Florian (13-4) is being paired up with the last remaining threat at 155-pounds when he battles Gray Maynard (9-0) at the UFC's upcoming show scheduled for August 28 in Boston.

"KenFlo" has been to the mountain top twice before. First against Sean Sherk in a five round unanimous decision loss at UFC 64 in 2006 and then most recently at UFC 101 in 2009 when he was choked out by ex-champ BJ Penn in Philadelphia.

He's remained unbeaten in eight other contests following his loss to "The Muscle Shark."

Like Florian, Maynard has been a handful for the lightweight division since graduating the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). "The Bully" is perfect through nine fights and even has a unanimous decision win over current champion Frankie Edgar.

It's likely that the winner of this contest will be next in line for a shot at the crown -- but will it be against "The Prodigy" or "The Answer?" Time will tell.

Keep it locked in to MMAmania.com for more updates on this story as they develop.

J.B.
04-16-2010, 12:39 AM
clearly if the UFC is just going to give him a rematch right away then they feel like it may be a little controversial. And how can you say it was not controversial? A lot of people think BJ won that fight and in fact every play-by-play ive read has Penn winning or the fight being a tie.

I gave the fight to Edgar, but it was very close I and could have seen it going either way with the judges.

rearnakedchoke
04-16-2010, 12:52 AM

the same reason that rua is getting a rematch right away and why rampage was going to get one against forrest ... it was a close fight ... one sided beatings usually result in the ex-champ having to fight once or twice ... plus gray's last 2 fights could have gone either way to less than top competitiion

Rackin
04-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I would like to see BJ Maynord with KFLow getting the title shot. Winner of BJ Kenny Maynord gets who has the title at that time.

TLC
04-18-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I think it's pathetic that BJ's gettign an immediate rematch. That's incredibly disrespectful to Edgar! They're essentially saying "that win doesn't really count because it was just a fluke!" Time and again Edgar was in...landed his punches...and was out before BJ could do much of anything!...and let's nto forget that Edgar scored takedowns on a guy that is extremely difficult to put on the ground.

NO ONE should get an immediate rematch after losing the belt (unless it's some genuine freak occurence like when Couture got his eyelid cut open). BJ should have to win two fights before he gets another title shot. Not doing so not only disrespects Edgar, but everyone else in the devision.

I also don't agree that Maynard doesn't deserve a shot. Granted, some of his wins have not come in the most exciting fashion, but they're wins. No way someone who suffured a loss in his last fight should jump ahead of someone who's clealry put the time in and strung together a succession of wins.

J.B.
04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
NO ONE should get an immediate rematch after losing the belt (unless it's some genuine freak occurence like when Couture got his eyelid cut open).

:laugh:

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Whatever happened to that Tyson Griffon fella :mellow:

I say Griffin first...Penn second :)

Max
04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
I say Griffin first...Penn second :)

Why Griffin? If anyone should get a title shot before Penn it should be Maynard. Maynard is the only person to beat Edgar and has yes to lose in the UFC. Griffin is only on a 2 fight win streak, why should he even be mentioned in the title picture?

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Why Griffin? If anyone should get a title shot before Penn it should be Maynard. Maynard is the only person to beat Edgar and has yes to lose in the UFC. Griffin is only on a 2 fight win streak, why should he even be mentioned in the title picture?

Maynard should have even won his last decision! and Griffin is a little like Frankie Edgar...the two are know for taking names they shouldnt be able to beat.

So...Griffin first, Penn second...and possibly maynard third IMHO

Max
04-18-2010, 09:57 PM
and Griffin is a little like Frankie Edgar...the two are know for taking names they shouldnt be able to beat.

What????? He has one win over a big name, Faber, and two losses against his next biggest opponents, Edgar and Sherk. Where does that idea that he beats people he shouldn't be able to come from?

Tyburn
04-18-2010, 11:03 PM
What????? He has one win over a big name, Faber, and two losses against his next biggest opponents, Edgar and Sherk. Where does that idea that he beats people he shouldn't be able to come from?

Urijah Faber
Duane Ludwig
Marcus Aurelio
Hermes Franca

...and I believe he once fought Frankie Edgar...but seeing as Frankie Edgar takes names...guess who won :ninja: