View Full Version : The Disrespect!!!!

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
When I heard Andy talking about the disrespect that Maia showed him.. I really wondered what he was talking about.. I am a fairly large MMA nerd..and I have wached all the surrounding hype of the various PPVs and read alot.. just in general an MMA nerd...

So when I heard about the disrespect.. I went looking through my DVR.. through a few magizines.. and such.. wan't really finding anything Maia said that was "dis'ing" Andy... But I did find THIS: http://www.cagepotato.com/fact-check-did-demian-maia-disrespect-anderson-silva

While I am not a huge fan of Cage Potatoe.. I thought it was well written..

The videos are great though!!!!

The unsatisfying post-fight explanation has become something of a tradition for UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva. After putting on performances that are either bizarre, boring, or both, he inevitably ends up at the press conference after the event, trying to explain through his manager/translator, Ed Soares, why he just forced us to sit through another performance that featured only occasional bursts of offense among extended periods of posturing and playing.

After a decision win over Demian Maia at UFC 112 that saw Silva essentially stop fighting altogether in the final two rounds, the story went that he was trying to punish Maia for his “disrespect.” In the lunchtime video interview above Soares repeats that claim, insisting that Maia “talked a lot of crap before the fight, and said a lot of things personally about Anderson.” Because of such an unprecedented show of disrespect – who ever heard of talking trash about an opponent before a fight, after all? – Silva got emotional and “wanted to make him pay.”

Here’s where we could ask why making Maia pay didn’t include any sustained attempts to knock him out at any point during the fight. We could also ask how spending the final two rounds running in circles was supposed to make Maia suffer. But we won’t. Instead we’ll ask, how exactly did Maia disrespect Silva before the fight?

Here’s one pre-fight interview where Maia describes the champ as “the best fighter in the world” as well as “the most complete fighter in the world.” Even when Maia says that Silva can be defeated, his reasoning seems predicated solely on the fact that, at least as far as we know, Silva is a human being. Unless Silva can produce some DNA tests that will refute that claim, he can’t really get too pissed off about that statement.

Additionally, in a story on UFC.com Maia said of Silva:

“What can I say, he’s the best fighter in the world, pound for pound. He’s good in everything that he does, and so far it’s the biggest challenge of my life.”

Oh, the insolence of this guy.

What seems to have irked Silva more, however, was Maia’s pre-fight remark about trying to take one of “The Spider’s” eight limbs home with him. This obviously wasn’t intended as a literal prediction by Maia, who presumably knows that Silva isn’t an actual spider any more than Keith Jardine is an actual dean at the prestigious Mean University, but rather it was a bit of word play expressly for the purposes of the pre-fight hype reel.

What’s more, as pre-fight trash talk goes it’s incredibly tame. When Dan Henderson said that Silva was not the best fighter in the world prior to their match-up at UFC 82, Silva didn’t respond by trying to humiliate him over the course of five rounds. Instead he put him away in two. When James Irvin cast doubts on Silva’s punching power, he was repaid with a quick knockout finish. So what unforgivable trash talk sin did Maia commit that could possibly justify the taunting and the mockery that we saw on Saturday?

We can probably find our answer in the inconsistency of Silva’s post-fight remarks. First, in the Octagon with Joe Rogan, he said he didn’t know what came over him. Just a few minutes later in the post-fight presser, he had figured out that what came over him was rage at Maia’s “disrespect.” Funny how quickly he put that together. (<-- Well said!!)

The more we see this kind of behavior from Silva, the more we have to consider that something in his mind just isn’t working right. If he can really see disrespect in Maia’s lukewarm trash talk, and if he really thinks what he did in Abu Dhabi was a suitable response, then this is not a man with his feet planted firmly on the ground. Maybe the culprit isn’t all the trash talk, but rather the praise. Maybe you can only hear about how great you are for so long before it starts to go to your head. Maybe that’s when you become an intolerable jerk who is completely disconnected from reality.

J.B.
04-12-2010, 05:16 PM
People really need to let it go.

If you don't like Silva, don't buy the cards he is on.

(although you will all likely buy it even quicker now at the thought he may lose)

KevinD
04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=J.B.;110703]People really need to let it go.

tell that to Dana White and the folks that pay this man's salary to do a job.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Sorry.. it's really hard for me to let it go.... He was a fool. A complete and total bauble...

If my kid acted like that, he would be in a world of hurt.

And I will prolly still buy an Andy card.. just cause there are bound to be other fighters that I want to see on it...

I bought 112 cause some guy named Hughes was fighting on it. That was the draw for me.

Andy fights great.. but he isn't a great fighter.

J.B.
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM

He did his job, and he did it well.

I was thoroughly entertained and I will watch him fight anytime, and I may be alone in my opinion on THIS forum, but I am not alone.

KevinD
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
You are entitled to your opinion although I find it hard to comprehend. Silva showed some awesome striking in this fight. I will give him that.

I am not a fan of hiding behind the ref, running in circles in the cage to the point where the ref warns you to engage with the other fighter. If you like all those antics, why watch the UFC? why not watch the WWE?

J.B.
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Sorry.. it's really hard for me to let it go.... He was a fool. A complete and total bauble...

If my kid acted like that, he would be in a world of hurt.

And I will prolly still buy an Andy card.. just cause there are bound to be other fighters that I want to see on it...

I bought 112 cause some guy named Hughes was fighting on it. That was the draw for me.

Andy fights great.. but he isn't a great fighter.

I watched it for Matt too, and because I am fan of the sport and all that comes with it. I actually didn't even know Silva was on the 112 card until last week. Wonder why that is? Probably because he was fighting Damian Maia and not somebody who I felt was gonna make it a tough fight for Silva. :laugh:

Anderson Silva is not your child and he owes you no explanation for his game plan or "antics". That is the fundamental difference I have with people who are so pissed off about this, I don't really see what Silva was doing as "monkey dancing" "showboating" or "timidity".

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I watched it for Matt too, and because I am fan of the sport and all that comes with it. I actually didn't even know Silva was on the 112 card until last week. Wonder why that is? Probably because he was fighting Damian Maia and not somebody who I felt was gonna make it a tough fight for Silva. :laugh:

Anderson Silva is not your child and he owes you no explanation for his game plan or "antics". That is the fundamental difference I have with people who are so pissed off about this, I don't really see what Silva was doing as "monkey dancing" "showboating" or "timidity".

He wasn't being timid when he was yelling and cussing at Maia.. Andy was being a bauble... That shouldn't be part of the sport.. well.. maybe the walkout.. but once you get in the cage.. beating on your chest, and cussing out your opponet.. running for the last round.. and mocking your opponet.. well.. makes you a loser.. IMO.. a bauble... Best word for Andy now.

and I like Maia.. his ground game is EXCELLENT!!! I didn't think he could be Andy either.. but at least a fight would have been good.. that even barley happened.

J.B.
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
You are entitled to your opinion although I find it hard to comprehend. Silva showed some awesome striking in this fight. I will give him that.

I am not a fan of hiding behind the ref, running in circles in the cage to the point where the ref warns you to engage with the other fighter. If you like all those antics, why watch the UFC? why not watch the WWE?

When did the ref warn him? :Whistle:

Oh yeah, you mean with 60 seconds left in the fight when Anderson had already pitched a virtual shutout. :rolleyes:

Don't come at me with the WWE comments just because I have different view. If you are going to make a comparison, at least make it reasonable and logical. Anderson Silva using bait and hook tactics is not anything like the WWE. It's part of the fight game, and if you don't like it, don't watch him fight. Not much more to say about it.

J.B.
04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
He wasn't being timid when he was yelling and cussing at Maia.. Andy was being a bauble...

and I like Maia.. his ground game is EXCELLENT!!! I didn't think he could be Andy either.. but at least a fight would have been good.. that even barley happened.

Oh come on man...

Every other word out of Dana White's mouth is F*** this and F*** that. Even Joe Rogan openly swears during the commentary. Yet, I am supposed to get mad at Silva for a little jawing during the fight?

He was yelling at Maia because he wanted to bait him into being reckless. It's actually smart if you think about it, but he could pay for that one day.

Look at Rashad, another guy everybody blindly hates for no reason, he was jawing with Machida and what did Machida do? He knocked him out.

If these guys or the UFC don't like Silva's style or manner, then do something about it.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
BTW.. I created this thread about the "disrespect" Andy claimed that Maia heaped upon him.. and that being the reason he acted like a fool....

Does anyone have any information on Andy actualyy being disrespected????

If Maia called him over rated.. made personal comment about him.. something.. cause I want to know what Andy is talking about.. at least then I could give him some respect.

KevinD
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
When did the ref warn him? :Whistle:

Oh yeah, you mean with 60 seconds left in the fight when Anderson had already pitched a virtual shutout. :rolleyes:

Don't come at me with the WWE comments just because I have different view. If you are going to make a comparison, at least make it reasonable and logical. Anderson Silva using bait and hook tactics is not anything like the WWE. It's part of the fight game, and if you don't like it, don't watch him fight. Not much more to say about it.

I will make the comparison. You saying it isn't reasonable doesn't make it so. Ah well, keep spewing my friend, have fun trying to stir the pot. It is kind of amusing.

KevinD
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
BTW.. I created this thread about the "disrespect" Andy claimed that Maia heaped upon him.. and that being the reason he acted like a fool....

Does anyone have any information on Andy actualyy being disrespected????

If Maia called him over rated.. made personal comment about him.. something.. cause I want to know what Andy is talking about.. at least then I could give him some respect.

Maia referred to Anderson's nickname as the Spider and having 8 legs. He said he just needed one to take home with him, or words to that effect.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Maia referred to Anderson's nickname as the Spider and having 8 legs. He said he just needed one to take home with him, or words to that effect.

Right.. it's absure to think that would really tick him off..

"What seems to have irked Silva more, however, was Maia�s pre-fight remark about trying to take one of �The Spider�s� eight limbs home with him. This obviously wasn�t intended as a literal prediction by Maia, who presumably knows that Silva isn�t an actual spider any more than Keith Jardine is an actual dean at the prestigious Mean University, but rather it was a bit of word play expressly for the purposes of the pre-fight hype reel."

So Andy is so good.. it's impossible that Maia could have sub'ed him??? Andy Silva the UFC Middleweight Bauble

KevinD
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Spiritwalker, don't get me wrong...I find it rediculous that this could offend Silva. Its a poor excuse to a terrible display in the cage.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Spiritwalker, don't get me wrong...I find it rediculous that this could offend Silva. Its a poor excuse to a terrible display in the cage.

I completely agree!

logrus
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
]People really need to let it go.

He did his job well, He stopped Maia from taking the belt. If you have a problem go see Maia and his inability to do anything active for 5 rounds. Seriously you cant win a title only throwing 11 punches and only landing 1 in the first 13mins of a fight.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM
He did his job well, He stopped Maia from taking the belt. If you have a problem go see Maia and his inability to do anything active for 5 rounds. Seriously you cant win a title only throwing 11 punches and only landing 1 in the first 13mins of a fight.

Well.. I am reading your sig right now.. :Whistle:

logrus
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Well.. I am reading your sig right now.. :Whistle:

Ehh, on that night he was just a good fighter, and not a great fighter.

KevinD
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
You can't be a great champion by running around the cage, hiding behind the ref and refusing to engage your opponent for the last half of the fight.

flo
04-12-2010, 06:11 PM
C'mon now, JB, I just want to hate on Anderson a little longer...:laugh:

I watched the post-fight interview that Irish Pride posted. I wish Anderson would get a simultaneous translator if he is going to give long and rambling answers. It was kind of funny that he would speak at length and Ed summed it up in 12 words or less. :Whistle:

IMO, it was just an excuse to say that Damien dissed him, he didn't have hardly any trash talk before the fight compared to say...BJ and Frankie. I think Anderson is so full of himself that he just doesn't care what anyone thinks of his actions. Can you guys imagine Matt putting on a bizarre show like Anderson did? It reminded me of Ali when he would taunt his opponents and use windmilling and the rope-a-dope...but all to excess after a while. I got to the point that I yearned to see the incredible athlete over the court jester. I guess Anderson's antics were part of his strategy but they left a bad taste.

I guess I'd put it a little differently than Spirit and say Silva is a great fighter but he chose not to fight great.

Oh well, the important thing is that Matt won. :happydancing:

logrus
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM

I watched the post-fight interview that Irish Pride posted. I wish Anderson would get a simultaneous translator if he is going to give long and rambling answers. It was kind of funny that he would speak at length and Ed summed it up in 12 words or less. :Whistle:

IMO, it was just an excuse to say that Damien dissed him, he didn't have hardly any trash talk before the fight compared to say...BJ and Frankie. I think Anderson is so full of himself that he just doesn't care what anyone thinks of his actions. Can you guys imagine Matt putting on a bizarre show like Anderson did? It reminded me of Ali when he would taunt his opponents and use windmilling and the rope-a-dope...but all to excess after a while. I got to the point that I yearned to see the incredible athlete over the court jester. I guess Anderson's antics were part of his strategy but they left a bad taste.

I guess I'd put it a little differently than Spirit and say Silva is a great fighter but he chose not to fight great.

Wait, Matt won??? :laugh:

J.B.
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I will make the comparison. You saying it isn't reasonable doesn't make it so. Ah well, keep spewing my friend, have fun trying to stir the pot. It is kind of amusing.

You need to tone the rhetoric down a smidgen. I am not attacking anybody, just stating my opinions.

If you have read anything I have said across the countless number of pointless threads on this topic or ever even had a discussion with me on this forum you would know that I am not stirring the pot, but rather standing firm on an opinion I have held for a long time.

Playing the game Silva played is not "WWE", no matter how much you say it is.

Miss Foxy
04-12-2010, 06:55 PM
People really need to let it go.

(although you will all likely buy it even quicker now at the thought he may lose)

Exactly!! I am so over people hating on good fighters.. Including myself hating on GSP.. wait..Im not that over it..:unsure-1:

flo
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Wait, Matt won??? :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

J.B.
04-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Everybody is different. Who are we to say what should or should not irritate Silva.

I also really wish people (not singling you out Flo) would stop comparing him to Ali. Joe Rogan/Mike Goldberg are turd-burglars for planting that seed, but that's hardly a big deal.

I can get why there are gonna be people who loathe Anderson, but I don't have any problem with the guy. He may have a little chip on his shoulder, but he has earned the right to be a little cocky when he wants to be, and for me it all works.

There is NO perfect personality for any sport. Colin Cowherd said it best when talking about athletes who are percieved as "thugs" or "cocky" by the fans. You got guys like Eli Manning who are "awww shucks" and people rip him but they love him at the same time. Then you got guys like Ochocinco who showboats and people love/hate him too, then you got Kurt Warner who is really laid back at it's the same thing. Nobody can please all you crazy people. :laugh:

Psykojojo
04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
This is just my opinion but....

Sorry guys, but if you enjoyed this performance then you were probably a bully in highschool, I say this because it's one thing to dominate someone with skill, it's quite another to taunt and humiliate or be verbally abusive to someone and Silva made a fool of himself by doing this. Anderson Silva is a punk, plain and simple, a bully and I hope someone takes the title from him soon because he's certainly not as good as he believes himself to be (potential is another story) and thats clear after watching yet ANOTHER lackluster title defense.

I've watched this fight acouple times now because I wanted to accuratly gauge how I really felt, I mean, after something like this you walk away with alot of emotion and you don't think rationaly. So I watched it and realized that he didn't do nearly as good as people think, the mighty Silva was actually alittle sloppy and not only that but as the fight went on he lost steam, he couldn't finish Maia and lost his punk heart as a result of that (I love how people pretend that silva could have finished Maia at anytime but just didn't for some reason),he couldn't find his range and it ended with Maia on the advance.

I'm becoming a fan of Demians, he's always been one of my favorite grapplers but now I'm beginning to really enjoy him as an MMA fighter aswell. He went in there, took what Anderson had to offer and came on strong in the end. I mean the dude's eye was sealed shut, his face was busted, nose broke and he was staring one of the best fighters in world directly in the eye and he didn't quit, he was unaffraid.....he was swinging from his knees for crying outloud. To top it off, after the fight he showed Anderson respect even though the spider didn't deserve it.

Spiritwalker
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
He went in there, took what Anderson had to offer and came on strong in the end. I mean the dude's eye was sealed shut, his face was busted, nose broke and he was staring one of the best fighters in world directly in the eye and he didn't quit, he was unaffraid and swining from his knees. To top it off, after the fight he showed Anderson respect even though the spider didn't deserve it.

+1

flo
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Everybody is different. Who are we to say what should or should not irritate Silva.

I also really wish people (not singling you out Flo) would stop comparing him to Ali. Joe Rogan/Mike Goldberg are turd-burglars for planting that seed, but that's hardly a big deal.

I can get why there are gonna be people who loathe Anderson, but I don't have any problem with the guy. He may have a little chip on his shoulder, but he has earned the right to be a little cocky when he wants to be, and for me it all works.

There is NO perfect personality for any sport. Colin Cowherd said it best when talking about athletes who are percieved as "thugs" or "cocky" by the fans. You got guys like Eli Manning who are "awww shucks" and people rip him but they love him at the same time. Then you got guys like Ochocinco who showboats and people love/hate him too, then you got Kurt Warner who is really laid back at it's the same thing. Nobody can please all you crazy people. :laugh:

I hear you, JB...difference of opinion is what keeps the conversation lively, eh?

Actually, I'm a big fan of Anderson, I guess that's why I was let down by his performance (and Maia's too, for that matter).

Miss Foxy
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I hear you, JB...difference of opinion is what keeps the conversation lively, eh?

Actually, I'm a big fan of Anderson, I guess that's why I was let down by his performance (and Maia's too, for that matter).
I think Anderson is bored honestly. Yeah the fight wasnt all that I don't think any of them were.

logrus
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Sorry guys, but if you enjoyed this performance then you were probably a bully in highschool, I say this because it's one thing to dominate someone with skill, it's quite another to taunt and humiliate or be verbally abusive to someone and Silva made a fool of himself by doing this. Anderson Silva is a punk, plain and simple, a bully and I hope someone takes the title from him soon because he's certainly not as good as he believes himself to be (potential is another story) and thats clear after watching yet ANOTHER lackluster title defense.

I've watched this fight acouple times now because I wanted to accuratly gauge how I really felt, I mean, after something like this you walk away with alot of emotion and you don't think rationaly. So I watched it and realized that he didn't do nearly as good as people think, the mighty Silva was actually alittle sloppy and not only that but as the fight went on he lost steam, he couldn't finish Maia and lost his punk heart as a result of that (I love how people pretend that silva could have finished Maia at anytime but just didn't for some reason),he couldn't find his range and it ended with Maia on the advance.

I'm becoming a fan of Demians, he's always been one of my favorite grapplers but now I'm beginning to really enjoy him as an MMA fighter aswell. He went in there, took what Anderson had to offer and came on strong in the end. I mean the dude's eye was sealed shut, his face was busted, nose broke and he was staring one of the best fighters in world directly in the eye and he didn't quit, he was unaffraid.....he was swinging from his knees for crying outloud. To top it off, after the fight he showed Anderson respect even though the spider didn't deserve it.

I wasn't the bully in high school, but I drew the line against a few though. Maia was getting bullied, and just like that kid in high school just continued to let it happen. He didn't stick up for himself until the 5th round in that 5th round he had the fire he should have displayed in round 1.

Miss Foxy
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I wasn't the bully in high school, but I drew the line against a few though. Maia was getting bullied, and just like that kid in high school just continued to let it happen. He didn't stick up for himself until the 5th round in that 5th round he had the fire he should have displayed in round 1.

He is a professional fighter. If he can't defend himself get the heck outta the Octagon.. Dude whats up with feeling sorry for each other in the ring? :punch:

Neezar
04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
You need to tone the rhetoric down a smidgen. I am not attacking anybody, just stating my opinions.

So is everyone else. So how about you quit telling them when they need to let it go. :laugh:

Neezar
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM

:cool:

ufcfan2
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
If Silvia really wanted to punish Maia he should of just 'Irvin'ed' him :)
I personally think he should be asked to make a permanant switch to 205 division clearly hes very bored with the competition.
Though after saying that I kindof do want to see him fight Vitor and I know this is a long shot,but maybe bring in Lawler or Moussia(sp) to fight him.

Next 205 fight should be Thiago Silva or Shogun/Rampage someone whos not gonna be intimidated by him.

Krupp
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Rampage vs Silva. Now there'd be a fight I'd pay for. Just because I know Anderson's not gonna knock Quinton out easily, and Quinton's a lot bigger and stronger....it'd definitely be Anderson's greatest test currently.

Tyburn
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
The UFC really needs to let him go.

I corrected it for you :laugh:

NateR
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Stupid suggestion, because that's not really an option. The UFC doesn't sell these events on a fight by fight basis, so why should people have to potentially miss watching their favorite fighter just because Anderson Silva is on the same card?

J.B.
04-13-2010, 01:29 AM
So is everyone else. So how about you quit telling them when they need to let it go. :laugh:

Put my response in context to what he said to me. He suggested I am just stirring the pot and am "spewing" my opinion, I wasn't trying to be rude, just asking him to step back look at what I am saying rather than just telling me to go watch pro-wrestling.

If you have seen the things I have said the whole time you would see that I don't have a problem with anybody being mad at Silva or voicing their opinions, I just disagree with a lot of people's reasoning.

J.B.
04-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Stupid suggestion, because that's not really an option. The UFC doesn't sell these events on a fight by fight basis, so why should people have to potentially miss watching their favorite fighter just because Anderson Silva is on the same card?

It absolutely is an option.

If people are that upset over what happened on Saturday, and Dana White is "the most embarrassed he has ever been", then they absolutely can refuse to pay for a product that contains people they feel are less than honorable. That would really send a message to the UFC, because all Dana and the Fertitias really care about is the bottom line in dollars and cents.

I'm not saying people HAVE to do that, in fact I believe that even the ones who claim they wont buy the next card will end up buying it again. I was merely expressing my view on the over-abundance of angst that has spawned from Saturday. It's not JUST this forum by any means, but do we really need a bunch of extra threads that are all digressing into the same discussion?

J.B.
04-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Sorry guys, but if you enjoyed this performance then you were probably a bully in highschool

That holds about as much water as the Sherdoggers who say Matt Hughes must have been a bully in High School.

Psykojojo
04-13-2010, 01:48 AM
That holds about as much water as the Sherdoggers who say Matt Hughes must have been a bully in High School.

You missed my point then playa

J.B.
04-13-2010, 02:01 AM
You missed my point then playa

No, I do see your point, and I was not trying to be snooty or anything. I just don't think that's a fair way to look at it.

I have expressed a pretty reasonable opinion on the subject, and I have my reasons for the things I think and say, but I was never a bully in high-school. I barely existed in high-school until I joined a band junior year. :laugh:

I am not saying you or anybody else is wrong to think the way you do, or that you need to agree with my opinion, but do you kinda see my point about other people who have unfairly judged Matt Hughes in the same way?

Psykojojo
04-13-2010, 02:40 AM
:) didn't mean to come off as a jerk either.
I think it's not so much the fight its self that upset me, but rather my views on Silva from a moral standpoint. My point is simply that anyone who actually enjoys watching someone be humiliated in this fashion is definatly someone I wouldn't get along with. Anderson was just mocking him relentlessly, verbalily attacking him,....I don't like bullies and thats all Anderson is, a bully. If I saw something like this in the school yard, I would have stepped in and stopped it.
I suppose I understand if people don't feel the same as I do, as a christian I try to hold the feelings of others high and I find things like this very upsetting. Yes I enjoy competing in MMA, yes I enjoy watching the sport aswell, I enjoy the respect thats usually displayed between 2 combatants..... NOBODY deserves disrespect on this level, not a professional fighter and not a guy as genuinely kind as Damian.

I don't believe Silva was as dominant as people believe either, take out the ridiculous dancing and i think you'll find that Anderson didn't really do much, even when pressed....which is ideal for him! Thats 3 title defenses in the past 2.5 years now and all of them bored me to death (Cote was....ok), he makes Tim Silvia look like Mick Jagger

jasonmma
04-13-2010, 02:53 AM
He did his job, and he did it well.

I was thoroughly entertained and I will watch him fight anytime, and I may be alone in my opinion on THIS forum, but I am not alone.

your not alone i thought it was entertaining until the fourth round. dana says he dont deserve gsp we i believe the fans deserve to see him and gsp. gsp would force a fight and anderson wouldnt be able to run from him. i still think anderson beats gsp, but i think it would be a good fight.

pistol-pete
04-13-2010, 03:03 AM
In the article that was posted to begin this thread, the article made reference to the fact that many including Dana White keep refering to Anderson Silva as the best fighter in the world. I certainly think that he is one of the most talented, but he is also one that fights with the most fear. His ego has taken over, and now he is fighting not to lose rather than going out one fight at a time and proving he is the best in the world. In my opinion he is emotionally and pychologically weak. Talent, probably very few better than him. But he refuses to engage ground fighters when they are on there backs, he also refuses to step into the pocket against fighters that he he has the superior edge in striking over. Why should Miaia have to engage with him? I certainly wouldn't go charging in against Anderson, that makes about as much sense as Anderson dancing around the octogon for 3 rounds. Simply put, if he was the best fighter in world he wouldn't be afraid to fight in Miaia's guard, and he wouldn't have to try and talk his opponent into exchanging. I don't expect we will see Fedor taunting his opponent any time soon. I also don't expect Fedor not taking the fight to the ground against anyone.

I just think he has bought into his own hype and not in good way where the cockyness leads to domination. I don't think he can handle the pressure of being undefeated in the octagon, being the champion, and being the pound for pound best fighter in the world.

I really wish the UFC wouldn't have let Henderson walk away, I think Dan has what it takes to defeat Silva, but part of that was the fact that Dana might have been protecting Silva by letting Henderson walk. Henderson was due and owed a rematch.

J.B.
04-13-2010, 03:05 AM
I think it's not so much the fight its self that upset me, but rather my views on Silva from a moral standpoint. My point is simply that anyone who actually enjoys watching someone be humiliated in this fashion is definatly someone I wouldn't get along with. Anderson was just mocking him relentlessly, verbalily attacking him,....I don't like bullies and thats all Anderson is, a bully. If I saw something like this in the school yard, I would have stepped in and stopped it.
I suppose I understand if people don't feel the same as I do, as a christian I try to hold the feelings of others high and I find things like this very upsetting. Yes I enjoy competing in MMA, yes I enjoy watching the sport aswell, I enjoy the respect thats usually displayed between 2 combatants..... NOBODY deserves disrespect on this level, not a professional fighter and not a guy as genuinely kind as Damian.

I don't believe Silva was as dominant as people believe either, take out the ridiculous dancing and i think you'll find that Anderson didn't really do much, even when pressed....which is ideal for him! Thats 3 title defenses in the past 2.5 years now and all of them bored me to death (Cote was....ok), he makes Tim Silvia look like Mick Jagger

I didn't think you were being a jerk, just giving your thoughts, and thats cool. Message boards make it hard to express points the way we intend to, and I have that problem all the time. I very rarely intend to come off as mean or condescending, but I am frequently misunderstood :laugh:

I am a Christian as well, and I completely understand everything you are saying in terms of bullying, respectfully I just see it a different way in terms of what Anderson was doing and how he should be judged on a moral level because of it.

As for the fight itself, I think Anderson clearly did a excellent job of being effective when engaging for the majority of the fight, which is why he won. As I have pointed out earlier, Maia's eye and nose didn't look like that on the way to the cage, and they didn't get that way from Silva's dance moves. Was it Silva's best performance? Not by a long shot. As I also said, I think he is at his best when he forced to rise for a big occasion, not just random pressure from mediocre strikers looking to take him down. When he faces marquee competition he has always risen to the occasion (i.e Franklin, Henderson, Griffin)

Spiritwalker
04-13-2010, 03:06 AM
he makes Tim Silvia look like Mick Jagger

:huh:
:blink:
:unsure-1:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh:

oh god I am in pain...... that was funny as ..... well....oh man .. excuse me.. still laughing!!!!!

J.B.
04-13-2010, 03:20 AM
your not alone i thought it was entertaining until the fourth round. dana says he dont deserve gsp we i believe the fans deserve to see him and gsp. gsp would force a fight and anderson wouldnt be able to run from him. i still think anderson beats gsp, but i think it would be a good fight.

I agree, give the world what they want to see.

I don't care about the fact that people hate Silva right now, they still know as fans that Silva vs GSP is a superfight that is HUGE for the sport. The UFC needs to make that fight happen or Dana needs to cease his criticism of the sport of Boxing for delaying superfights.

logrus
04-13-2010, 03:42 AM

Maia could have stuck up for himself anytime in that fight. He pretty much waited 4 rounds to do it. If Silva was the bully, does that make Maia the coward for not sticking up for himself for over 20mins ?

Psykojojo
04-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Maia could have stuck up for himself anytime in that fight. He pretty much waited 4 rounds to do it. If Silva was the bully, does that make Maia the coward for not sticking up for himself for over 20mins ?

Maia was on the advance, watch the fight again, Silva was on the retreat and picking his shots. I'm a counter fighter so I understand to an extent, but he was pound his chest and screaming as if Damian was running away, instead he was constantly trying to chase the spider down. Should Maia have charged forward like a moron to be countered and KO'd?

logrus
04-13-2010, 04:08 AM
Maia was on the advance, watch the fight again, Silva was on the retreat and picking his shots. I'm a counter fighter so I understand to an extent, but he was pound his chest and screaming as if Damian was running away, instead he was constantly trying to chase the spider down. Should Maia have charged forward like a moron to be countered and KO'd?

Wait which round did you see this. When Silva started Maia didnt do anything except tried to avoid getting messed up. It wasn't until the forth did Maia make much movements towards Anderson and it wasnt until the fifth he went for broke.

Round 2, when Silva was at his worst Maia didnt do anything.

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:15 AM
JoJo, I agree with what you're saying and the person who wrote the article posted at the beginning of this thread. I called him a bully too in the "Anderson thread". That's just how all that came off to me.

The article jogged my memory of me seeing Damien saying those "respectful" things about Anderson in the Countdown and I think he was making a joke about "all I need is just one of the legs..." 'cause he smiled after he said it. He came across as a really nice guy who seemed to think a lot of Anderson as a fighter and as the champion. I haven't seen any post-fight interviews yet. Did anyone see any of Damien post-fight and what he thought of how Anderson acted during the fight?

J.B.
04-13-2010, 04:16 AM

I don't blame Maia, but a guy like GSP, Rashad, Rampage, or even Wanderlei would not let him do that and get away with it without really bringing something to challenge him. Maia just couldn't do that, and he knew it.

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Wait which round did you see this. When Silva started Maia didnt do anything except tried to avoid getting messed up. It wasn't until the forth did Maia make much movements towards Anderson and it wasnt until the fifth he went for broke.

Would you have wanted to step forward at that point if you were Maia?

J.B.
04-13-2010, 04:24 AM

Of course not, and round and round we go....

http://www.chibinet.com/archive/Merry_that_go_round.gif

:laugh:

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
I don't blame Maia, but a guy like GSP, Rashad, Rampage, or even Wanderlei would not let him do that and get away with it without really bringing something to challenge him. Maia just couldn't do that, and he knew it.

To be fair, JB, Maia did attempt several times during the fight to shoot in on Anderson; he just wasn't successful. :wink:

I liked Anderson, I really did, but I didn't care for his "tactics", as you say, in this fight and the other two fights he did this in. I would have respected him more if he had just knocked Maia's block off.

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Of course not, and round and round we go....

http://www.chibinet.com/archive/Merry_that_go_round.gif

:laugh: I started to say something to Jojo about you and I already going round and round this mulberry bush. :laugh:

I couldn't help myself! :tongue0011:

logrus
04-13-2010, 04:38 AM

At that point I would have. As it went Maia just stood there and took about 30 strikes while only dishing out 1. All the while dealing with the taunts of Silva for 6_ mins.

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 04:48 AM
At that point I would have. As it went Maia just stood there and took about 30 strikes while only dishing out 1. All the while dealing with the taunts of Silva for 6_ mins.

I thought you were talking about when Anderson was stomping his foot like a mad bull, and motioning to Damien to "come on....come get me". At that point, no I don't blame Maia for not taking the bait.

Now, when Anderson put his hands down, then Maia should have come at him fists flying....like he did in the fifth.

Btw, in case someone missed it during the fight, Rogan mentioned that Maia's eye shut because his nose was broken and he must have blown his nose. Apparently, you're not supposed to blow your nose when it's broken 'cause it will cause your eye to swell up and close. I know a lot of you guys probably know that already so that info was for the "uneducated" like myself. :laugh:

J.B.
04-13-2010, 04:55 AM
To be fair, JB, Maia did attempt several times during the fight to shoot in on Anderson; he just wasn't successful. :wink:

I liked Anderson, I really did, but I didn't care for his "tactics", as you say, in this fight and the other two fights he did this in. I would have respected him more if he had just knocked Maia's block off.

I agree that Maia DID try, but he just couldn't do anything.

What I meant in bringing up the fighters I did was that I don't think those guys will let Anderson do that without responding with attacks that actually force Silva to abandon those reckless tactics.

That is how you beat a GREAT counter striker like Silva. It's why a fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Boxing will break all the PPV records. It's the classic power against technique battle that fight fans love to see. It's why Silva vs GSP is the biggest fight that MMA could possibly put on right now.

Bonnie
04-13-2010, 05:06 AM
I agree that Maia DID try, but he just couldn't do anything.

What I meant in bringing up the fighters I did was that I don't think those guys will let Anderson do that without responding with attacks that actually force Silva to abandon those reckless tactics.

That is how you beat a GREAT counter striker like Silva. It's why a fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Boxing will break all the PPV records. It's the classic power against technique battle that fight fans love to see. It's why Silva vs GSP is the biggest fight that MMA could possibly put on right now.

I would buy that one! :laugh: I can already see ALL the threads/posts started after that one takes place. :rolleyes: :laugh:

J.B.
04-13-2010, 05:08 AM
I would buy that one! :laugh: I can already see ALL the threads/posts started after that one takes place. :rolleyes: :laugh:

And with that, I can gracefully bow out of the discussion knowing my point has been proven! :)

But I will probably keep arguing because of my "killer instinct" to finish the fight! :laugh:

flo
04-13-2010, 06:29 AM
he makes Tim Silvia look like Mick Jagger

I'm not sure if you're dissing my man, Tim, or complimenting him...am I his only fan here?

He's like this big, gawky puppy dog with soulful eyes. :laugh:

J.B.
04-13-2010, 06:42 AM

I'm not sure if you're dissing my man, Tim, or complimenting him...am I his only fan here?

He's like this big, gawky puppy dog with soulful eyes. :laugh:

I have always liked Tim, and still do, but he made some bad career decisions in my opinion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo :wacko:

flo
04-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Oh yeah, JB, when I saw what the link was I turned it off! Once was enough!

I really think his management was to blame for that one, it made me cringe. :scared0015:

But I liked the merry-go-round.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8628/merrygoround.jpg

tee hee

J.B.
04-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh yeah, JB, when I saw what the link was I turned it off! Once was enough!

I really think his management was to blame for that one, it made me cringe. :scared0015:

But I liked the merry-go-round.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8628/merrygoround.jpg

tee hee

Seriously though...you can't blame management on that one.

Silvia WANTED the fight to be a Boxing match...:laugh:

It wasn't until the last minute that they told Mercer it was gonna be an MMA fight and Mercer still took the fight....that is nuts....

WTF were Silvia and Arlovski thinking when they actually considered becoming pro boxers? :huh::laugh:

J.B.
04-13-2010, 07:25 AM
I liked the merry go round too... definitely the highlight of the thread :) :laugh:

flo
04-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Seriously though...you can't blame management on that one.

Silvia WANTED the fight to be a Boxing match...:laugh:

It wasn't until the last minute that they told Mercer it was gonna be an MMA fight and Mercer still took the fight....that is nuts....

WTF were Silvia and Arlovski thinking when they actually considered becoming pro boxers? :huh::laugh:
I know, what were they thinking? But his manager should have talked him out of it! Well, maybe he tried, it was just an awful decision on Tim's part.

BTW, I was looking at that picture and noticed something...

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8628/merrygoround.jpg

What is that? A displaced goiter? :unsure-1:

Well, enough Fun With Photoshop for the evening. :) Night, JB.

J.B.
04-13-2010, 07:43 AM
I know, what were they thinking? But his manager should have talked him out of it! Well, maybe he tried, it was just an awful decision on Tim's part.

Damian Maia is laughing on the inside... :laugh:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100410/capt.fe67017771484b63a391ff22ea4cdd03-fe67017771484b63a391ff22ea4cdd03-0.jpg

Chuck
04-13-2010, 07:49 AM

OMG I JUST noticed Dana and Anderson's face on there!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think the goiter would be your typical muffin top... in this case a direct result of the hated "thong tuck" of the t-shirt.

I hate it when a girl wears a thong then spends all day doing the thong tuck with her thumb because of the low rise jeans she's wearing. Either switch jeans or accept the fact that your thong is going to show!! It's just distracting having that "tuck" go on all the time. It's like the kid in Eddie Murphy's Delirious album with the ice cream cone.. "wanna lick?"...."PSYCH!".... either show the thong or not... Sheesh!

J.B.
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I hate it when a girl wears a thong then spends all day doing the thong tuck with her thumb because of the low rise jeans she's wearing. Either switch jeans or accept the fact that your thong is going to show!! It's just distracting having that "tuck" go on all the time. It's like the kid in Eddie Murphy's Delirious album with the ice cream cone.. "wanna lick?"...."PSYCH!".... either show the thong or not... Sheesh!

Ohhh geeze....:rolleyes:

We would be better off just arguing about the fights....:laugh:

logrus
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I thought you were talking about when Anderson was stomping his foot like a mad bull, and motioning to Damien to "come on....come get me". At that point, no I don't blame Maia for not taking the bait.

Now, when Anderson put his hands down, then Maia should have come at him fists flying....like he did in the fifth.

Btw, in case someone missed it during the fight, Rogan mentioned that Maia's eye shut because his nose was broken and he must have blown his nose. Apparently, you're not supposed to blow your nose when it's broken 'cause it will cause your eye to swell up and close. I know a lot of you guys probably know that already so that info was for the "uneducated" like myself. :laugh:

I rather get knocked out going after Silva during a taunt then letting it go for 3 more rounds. Least when asked I could say stuff about my honor and pride and mean it.

I didn't know about blowing a nose when it was broke. I broke mine twice and blew it once and sneezed the other time and nothing happened to make me look like that lol.