PDA

View Full Version : Tabata Training

hizo64
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Just barely read about it in the new Muscle & Fitness, its a newly devoloped workout by team of Japanese scientists, well heres a good link http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html all I have to add was that it wiped me out COMPLETELY :weightlifter: !! I did the M&F workout and its just insane how sore I am, I feel great though. Google Tabata and you'll find some good stuff, I totally recommend it. :happy0159:

rockdawg21
02-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I've read about that, never really cared to try it. I enjoy doing HIIT cardio too much :)

hizo64
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Ya I bet thats really rough too! I did the shoulder workout last night and I'm just hurting all over.

CAVEMAN
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
We do some Tabata drills in our Kettlebell class. Very intense! If you go to Crossfit.com you can view some of their tabata workouts. Go to WOD(work out of the day) demos and look up Tabata Fight Gone Bad

hizo64
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
We do some Tabata drills in our Kettlebell class. Very intense! If you go to Crossfit.com you can view some of their tabata workouts. Go to WOD(work out of the day) demos and look up Tabata Fight Gone Bad

DUDE THOSE ARE INTENSE!!! Ya I pretty much do my best to not crumple up and fall over when Im done. LOL thanks for the website!!

CAVEMAN
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
DUDE THOSE ARE INTENSE!!! Ya I pretty much do my best to not crumple up and fall over when Im done. LOL thanks for the website!!

Yes! Cardio and muscle endurance all rolled into one! If your not gulping in huge amounts of air after a tabata workout, your not from this world! LOL!

Llamafighter
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
So thsi is pretty much short circuits (not johnny 5) and changing excercise every few minutes, right? this looks like what we've been doing in boxing conditioning forthe past few months. EXHAUSTING to say the least.

CAVEMAN
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
So thsi is pretty much short circuits (not johnny 5) and changing excercise every few minutes, right? this looks like what we've been doing in boxing conditioning forthe past few months. EXHAUSTING to say the least.

20 seconds on....10 seconds off. You can switch up the seconds as well. Just as long as you doing more work than rest, of course! :laugh:

Great benefits can be gained through this kind of training.

rockdawg21
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I do HIIT cardio when I'm cutting. I would do hill sprints, 30 seconds on (2 up and down sprints), 30 seconds off. Highest I ever made it was 9 cycles and I would usually reach 190bpm by the end of it all. When I wasn't doing hill sprints, I'd do 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off on the recumbent bike. I was able to get my MHR to 207 last Spring during my cut.

Kind of the same thing except that I'm not doing things like pushups, jumps, kettlebells, etc.

But, I'm not a fighter, so my goals with training are a little different. :)

hizo64
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Ya I've been training a lot to go to the FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) and this has by far been the most exhausting thing I have ever done. Oh and to be "true" Tabata training, the work ration has to be 2:1, 30 second uphill wind sprint, 15 seconds rest.

ufcfan2
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I think I would have a heart attack doing those just by u guys talking abou it.
I have hard enough time doing the drills in my kickboxing class and I thought I was in shape WRONG.
We do 2,2min rounds of jump roping with 30 second rests,2 rounds of shadow boxing for 2 mins each. Then we do 3 minute round of punches/kicks then do 1min abs or some other form of cardio/strengthening rinse and repeat for 45 mins or so..I'm freaking tired after the jump ropes:rolleyes:
I'm actually enjoying doing kickboxing just wish I would of done it years ago having hard time with my foot work...

rockdawg21
02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I think I would have a heart attack doing those just by u guys talking abou it.
I have hard enough time doing the drills in my kickboxing class and I thought I was in shape WRONG.
We do 2,2min rounds of jump roping with 30 second rests,2 rounds of shadow boxing for 2 mins each. Then we do 3 minute round of punches/kicks then do 1min abs or some other form of cardio/strengthening rinse and repeat for 45 mins or so..I'm freaking tired after the jump ropes:rolleyes:
I'm actually enjoying doing kickboxing just wish I would of done it years ago having hard time with my foot work...
Never done Tabata, but last summer I was telling a friend about 8 minutes of cardio and he was like, "No way that could be so difficult". He managed 3 hill sprints before he couldn't take it any more. He took a short break than did some sprints on the flat track. After he walked back up the hill to where our cars were parked, he threw up, lol.

He said it was a good thing though because he realized his level of fitness, although he had a low body fat and pretty good definition, needed some work.

Llamafighter
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM

You'll progress and it will all start to flow. the Jump rope with greatly improve footwork issues you might have.

Just think how awesome you'll feel being in the best shape of your life, now!
When I played soccer in High School I never thought i'd be in any better shape, but I could totally destroy 1995 Mark in strength and endurance, now.

hizo64
02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Ill tell you what, this has got to be some of the most toughest/gratifying workout program I have ever done. My body has responded to it so well and its barely been a week! It really tests me mentally, phyically and most of all emotionally. There is nothing like pushing beyond your body's "limits" and finding out that hey, you do have a little more in you than what you think, and thats the best feeling of all...

Llamafighter
02-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Ill tell you what, this has got to be some of the most toughest/gratifying workout program I have ever done. My body has responded to it so well and its barely been a week! It really tests me mentally, phyically and most of all emotionally. There is nothing like pushing beyond your body's "limits" and finding out that hey, you do have a little more in you than what you think, and thats the best feeling of all...

Amen!
my boxing trainer must have caught on to this training because we started doing this more last night. 1 minute of an exercise with no break right into the next.
my complex carb solution for preworkout energy is now 1 hour before class I mix 1 cup of natural applesauce with 1 cup uncooked oatmeal.
I felt like I had a lot of fuel to burn last night!