View Full Version : Mir apologizes about comments

MattHughesRocks
02-24-2010, 05:53 AM
HAHAHA!

Frank Mir has always been one of the more outspoken athletes in mixed martial arts, having served as a guest commentator on UFC events in the past and currently part of the regular broadcast team for World Extreme Cagefighting on Versus.

He may, however, have taken things a step too far in recent comments that he made during an interview with WXDX-FM radio in Pittsburgh. Talking about his rivalry with current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Mir said he wanted Lesnar “to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries.”

The comments prompted a swift response from UFC president Dana White, who said, “I was disappointed by Frank Mir’s comments. Frank’s been with the UFC a long time, he’s a two-time heavyweight champion, and a commentator for the WEC. I think his emotions are running high right now, he has a big fight coming up next month and he’s still upset about his loss to Lesnar. He’s been talked to, he regrets what he said, and he won’t be saying anything like that again.”

Mir has fought Lesnar twice. He submitted Lesnar in the former NCAA national wrestling champion’s UFC debut, but lost in their rematch at UFC 100 when Lesnar stopped him with strikes.

The rivalry between the two has only grown more heated during Lesnar’s absence to recuperate from a bout with diverticulitis.

Even so, Mir apparently agrees the he put his foot well over the line. In a prepared statement released by the UFC on Tuesday, Mir said, “I would like to apologize to Brock Lesnar, his family, the UFC and the UFC fans for my stupid remarks. I respect Brock, all the other fighters, and the sport of mixed martial arts. I’m sorry that I stepped out of line.”

Mir will step in the Octagon to face number one contender Shane Carwin on March 27 to determine the UFC interim heavyweight champion. The winner, barring injury, will go on to face Lesnar this summer, likely at a planned July 3 event in Las Vegas. If the winner is unable to fight, Cain Velasquez will step in to face Lesnar.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10824&zoneid=2

flo
02-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm glad he apologized, he was WAAAY out of line (and I'm sure no fan of Lesnar).

I thought maybe he had gotten punched in the head too much and it affected his judgement, like some have suggested. I'm glad Dana read him the riot act.

F34R
02-24-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm a Mir fanboy and even I know he crossed the line with those comments. I didnt even want to believe he would say something like that. :(

I'm glad he was forced to apologized though. ;)

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm a Mir fanboy and even I know he crossed the line with those comments. I didnt even want to believe he would say something like that. :(

I'm glad he was forced to apologized though. ;)

Agreed...

That apology sounds like Dana did write it.

rearnakedchoke
02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Agreed...

That apology sounds like Dana did write it.

of course dana wrote it ... mir is a moron ... hear dana is working to make mma mainstream, getting it sanctioned in all these states and other countries, and mir goes and makes it look like a total barbaric sport ... dana should make him fight brock lesnar twice now .... haha

F34R
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
of course dana wrote it ... mir is a moron ... hear dana is working to make mma mainstream, getting it sanctioned in all these states and other countries, and mir goes and makes it look like a total barbaric sport ... dana should make him fight brock lesnar twice now .... haha

If you're going to insult someone, at least make sure you use the proper words in your rant. :tongue0011:

"HERE" not "HEAR" :punch:

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM

I think Mir would beat him 2 more times... still not real happy that Mir made those comments..talking about "hurting someone".. and "Being responsible for the first death..".... that's WAY over the line.

But Mir will take him again.. Mir subed Brock in the first fight.. lotsa skill...

Brock crushed him with the prolly 285 weight.. and hammer fists... losta weight and power...

I don't think Mir is a moron.. at least not on the Diaz level....

But most BJJ guys I know are hyper aggressive.. it's not real easy to work with some of the ones I know..(cause my ground game is my weakest) and Mir comes off VERY confident.. but only aggressive when he is talking about Brock.. Look at how he handled the pre fight hype with Congo.. and his attitude after was not bad at all.

rearnakedchoke
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I think Mir would beat him 2 more times... still not real happy that Mir made those comments..talking about "hurting someone".. and "Being responsible for the first death..".... that's WAY over the line.

But Mir will take him again.. Mir subed Brock in the first fight.. lotsa skill...

Brock crushed him with the prolly 285 weight.. and hammer fists... losta weight and power...

I don't think Mir is a moron.. at least not on the Diaz level....

But most BJJ guys I know are hyper aggressive.. it's not real easy to work with some of the ones I know..(cause my ground game is my weakest) and Mir comes off VERY confident.. but only aggressive when he is talking about Brock.. Look at how he handled the pre fight hype with Congo.. and his attitude after was not bad at all.

i think he was saved by mazz in the first fight .. but that is just my opinion ... don't get me wrong, i know mur isn't the first guy to talk trash like this .. i mean, BJ and his whole 'to the death' thing, but you gotta remember that you are representing the UFC, so be a little smarter ... BJ was saying that stuff on UFC cameras, so if they didn't like it, they could have not used it ...

J.B.
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Mir's comments were incredibly dumb, and he looks even dumber now by issuing an apology in the form of a prepared statement released by the UFC. :rolleyes:

Clearly he is still bitter about the Lesnar situation. In Mir's head, he was supposed to be the guy that took out the big bad "fake-wrestler" and solidify himself as one of the top stars in MMA while going on a run as HW champ. In reality, people feel like he only won the first fight with Lesnar because he got extremely lucky and in the rematch he got completely destroyed. I mean, seriously, Mir's face looked like Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask when he came out for the 2nd round in the rematch, and fans are supposed to be interested seeing them fight again?

Mir is now stuck looking at what he sees as possibly his last chance at a really big payday in a rubber match with Lesnar, so he has to do and say whatever it takes to generate interest. I honestly think most fans could care less about a 3rd fight with Mir, they just want to see Lesnar fight, regardless of who it is.

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
HUH???

At worst.. Mir is a top 5 HW... at WORST....

I don't see the first fight that way at all...

Frank made Brock tap.. and tap hard...

The second fight...

Brock knocked Frank silly with those canned hams that he calls hands...while crushing him under his wieght..

It's a 1 and 1 record for each..

If you want to say Mir was "saved".. you can easily say that Brock was saved from being DQed for the strikes to the head..

And I for one and really looking forward to a 3rd fight ..

Mir's comments were incredibly dumb, and he looks even dumber now by issuing an apology in the form of a prepared statement released by the UFC. :rolleyes:

Clearly he is still bitter about the Lesnar situation. In Mir's head, he was supposed to be the guy that took out the big bad "fake-wrestler" and solidify himself as one of the top stars in MMA while going on a run as HW champ. In reality, people feel like he only won the first fight with Lesnar because he got extremely lucky and in the rematch he got completely destroyed. I mean, seriously, Mir's face looked like Rocky Dennis from the movie Mask when he came out for the 2nd round in the rematch, and fans are supposed to be interested seeing them fight again?

Mir is now stuck looking at what he sees as possibly his last chance at a really big payday in a rubber match with Lesnar, so he has to do and say whatever it takes to generate interest. I honestly think most fans could care less about a 3rd fight with Mir, they just want to see Lesnar fight, regardless of who it is.

J.B.
02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
HUH???

At worst.. Mir is a top 5 HW... at WORST....

I don't see the first fight that way at all...

Frank made Brock tap.. and tap hard...

The second fight...

Brock knocked Frank silly with those canned hams that he calls hands...while crushing him under his wieght..

It's a 1 and 1 record for each..

If you want to say Mir was "saved".. you can easily say that Brock was saved from being DQed for the strikes to the head..

And I for one and really looking forward to a 3rd fight ..

I never said Mir didn't win, I said that most people feel like he got lucky, and the truth is that in a way, HE DID get lucky.

Yes, he caught Brock and, he did force him to tap. There is no denying that. However, that was a premature standup by Mazzagati and if the standup did not happen, Mir was seconds away from being pounded into submission or unconsciousness.

In the second fight he got beaten to a pulp, and Brock completely dominated him. I am not taking the fact that he won the first fight away from him, but to ignore the facts would be ridiculous. I think that 9 out 10 times, Brock Lesnar beats the crap out of Frank Mir. I think this was just Mir stirring the pot to drum up interest in a rubber match so he can make some money. It's the same reason he was calling out Anderson Silva.

Now, I will totally give credit to Mir as a fighter. He is a tough guy who is a very intelligent fighter with some of the best submissions in the whole HW division. However, Mir has had a rough, though short, career and I wouldn't say I think he is in a position right now to really make a run as champion. That's not to say that we won't see the rubber match with Lesnar, because it does make sense on some levels. The fact still remains that after what we saw in the first two fights, the rubber match is not really going to seem like a "pick em" to the fans. I don't doubt that the fight would sell, but I don't think it's the best fight that could be made, and I don't think the numbers would be much different for any other top HW opponent the UFC currently has on contract. Lesnar is the big draw, and he is the reason people will tune in once he comes back. Who he fights doesn't really matter at this point.

Miss Foxy
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one that likes Frank Mir? I like him, however his comment about Lesnar was way outta line.. :w00t:

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
In the second fight he got beaten to a pulp, and Brock completely dominated him. I am not taking the fact that he won the first fight away from him, but to ignore the facts would be ridiculous. I think that 9 out 10 times, Brock Lesnar beats the crap out of Frank Mir. I think this was just Mir stirring the pot to drum up interest in a rubber match so he can make some money. It's the same reason he was calling out Anderson Silva.

Well.. 1 out of two times he didn't beat Mir.. so stands to reason.. if they fight 8 more times.. Brock won't win all eight..

Brock has a HUGE advantage in size..and is much more powerful... you can't argue that.. when he has Mir's level of skill.. he will be unstoppable..

and I personally think that if Mir could get inside of Silva's hands while avoiding the knees.. one take down and Mir would destroy Silva.. Mir would stand a good chance of beating Lyoto as well.. but Lyoto is too elusive from him..

However, Mir has had a rough, though short, career and I wouldn't say I think he is in a position right now to really make a run as champion.

I don't think the numbers would be much different for any other top HW opponent the UFC currently has on contract. Lesnar is the big draw, and he is the reason people will tune in once he comes back. Who he fights doesn't really matter at this point.

OK,

Mir has a win over Brock.. who else does??? Who else would you say Frank needs to beat to secure the top spot? Cain?? He just fought.. Thought I would like to see that fight.. and WHEN Mir beats Brock.. I bet we see it REAL soon after...

Nog? been there, done that..

Heath Herring??? would be cool to see Mir put on a clinic...

Mir has lost to Vera.. should he have to face him again?? I don't think Vera could do it again

Vizion
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Am I the only one that likes Frank Mir? I like him, however his comment about Lesnar was way outta line.. :w00t:No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.

agreed.

flo
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
No, I like Mir too, he's actually one of my fav HW's. He said something very dumb, apologized, and now its time to move on.

Same here.

J.B.
02-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Well.. 1 out of two times he didn't beat Mir.. so stands to reason.. if they fight 8 more times.. Brock won't win all eight..

Brock has a HUGE advantage in size..and is much more powerful... you can't argue that.. when he has Mir's level of skill.. he will be unstoppable..

and I personally think that if Mir could get inside of Silva's hands while avoiding the knees.. one take down and Mir would destroy Silva.. Mir would stand a good chance of beating Lyoto as well.. but Lyoto is too elusive from him..

So by your logic, if GSP and Matt Serra fought 8 more times, Matt Serra would win 4 of them? :rolleyes:

Yes, Brock has a size advantage. This is the Heavyweight division, and that is part of the game. Brock may not have Mir's level of skill in BJJ, but Brock is definitely a better wrestler and his freakish power makes him a threat from anywhere.

I actually think a fight between Mir and Silva would be interesting, but I would definitely lean towards Silva catching Mir with something big and ending the fight. Just my opinion.

OK,

Mir has a win over Brock.. who else does??? Who else would you say Frank needs to beat to secure the top spot? Cain?? He just fought.. Thought I would like to see that fight.. and WHEN Mir beats Brock.. I bet we see it REAL soon after...

Nog? been there, done that..

Heath Herring??? would be cool to see Mir put on a clinic...

Mir has lost to Vera.. should he have to face him again?? I don't think Vera could do it again

When I said Mir is not a position to make a run as the champion, I didn't mean he couldn't get a title shot. I just don't see him being able to beat guys like Brock or Cain, and there are some other guys who could give him some problems too.

Mir and Carwin are going to fight next month, so Mir has to get by him now. Still, I am not saying Mir has to beat anybody to get a fight with Brock. A rubber match is definitely a possibility regardless of the championship situation. It's not like the actual belt in the UFC HW division has any depth right now. It's been messed up since Randy decided to leave while he was still champ, then came right back and was declared champ over a year later. It's really a joke.

I honestly think Brock should have a tune-up fight before fighting Mir again, or anybody else in the top 5. He is coming back from a pretty serious illness that could have killed him, but again that's just my opinion.

J.B.
02-24-2010, 06:21 PM

I agree, the comment is not something that people should dwell on but, to be fair, the news of the apology is a day old and some criticism is to be expected.

What Mir said was dumb, and most fans know it's just hype, but that is still not the kind of publicity that the UFC is trying to draw to their brand or the sport of MMA.

Spiritwalker
02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
So by your logic, if GSP and Matt Serra fought 8 more times, Matt Serra would win 4 of them? :rolleyes:

I just don't understand the logic that Brock beats Mir 9 of 10 times.

I really do loath Brock.. but he has some skills.. but discrediting Mir, when you look at his wins.. not really the right thing.

When I said Mir is not a position to make a run as the champion, I didn't mean he couldn't get a title shot. I just don't see him being able to beat guys like Brock or Cain, and there are some other guys who could give him some problems too.

I don't see Shane giving Mir that much trouble.. I would rather see Shane "get injured" in training.. and put Cain up.. that would be a great fight...

I honestly think Brock should have a tune-up fight before fighting Mir again, or anybody else in the top 5. He is coming back from a pretty serious illness that could have killed him, but again that's just my opinion.

It's hard to give him a tune up fight unless he is actually stripped of the belt.

J.B.
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
I just don't understand the logic that Brock beats Mir 9 of 10 times.

I really do loath Brock.. but he has some skills.. but discrediting Mir, when you look at his wins.. not really the right thing.

It's a figure of speech, and a matter of opinion. The idea behind the phrase "9 out of 10 times" is that it implies something will happen more times than not. It's a phrase that is used in a figurative sense rather than the literal one you chose to apply to it. More times than not, Brock Lesnar is going to get all over Frank Mir and bash his face in. Just like more times than not GSP will destroy Matt Serra.

I am not trying to discredit Mir at all. I simply stated the facts about what happened in the first fight with Lesnar. As for where Mir goes from here and in the future in the HW division, it's just my opinion that I don't see him getting past guys like Lesnar or Cain. I think a part of Mir knows he can't take Brock, but he still wants to fight him again because weather he wins or loses he will still get a lot of money and lot of exposure at this point in his career.

I don't see Shane giving Mir that much trouble.. I would rather see Shane "get injured" in training.. and put Cain up.. that would be a great fight...

Say what you want, but Shane is still threat to Mir, and that's who is next on the table for Frank to fight.

It's hard to give him a tune up fight unless he is actually stripped of the belt.

What belt? The one that they are gonna hand to the winner of Mir vs Carwin with the moniker of "interim champion"? The belt is a joke right now anyway. Lesnar got fast-tracked because of his freakish strength, talent, and WWE popularity. Besides that, the division is relatively weak in comparison to other divisions. It's not like we are breaking up the March Madness Tournament here.

I agree, it would be hard for them to just give him a tune up fight without some long winded scenario playing out for them to make it seem like they didn't just feed him a tomato can. However, again this is just my opinion, I think Brock definitely should have one before he gets back in there based solely on the severity of the illness he went through and time off since his last fight.

F34R
02-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Am I the only one that likes Frank Mir? I like him, however his comment about Lesnar was way outta line.. :w00t:

Mir fanboy in the flesh right here... (I'm talking about myself lol).... :frantics:
People do and say things they regret saying and doing all the time. I can forgive and forget. Especially since I'm a fanboy hehe.

Tyburn
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM

I aggree. If Dana White had not spoken to him, he wouldnt have appologised...ergo...its not much of an appology...but then, he propbably only said it for hype in the first place and didnt mean what he said in the first place

so the whole thing is just a complete and utter waste of time. I wish some Fighters would just quit talking alltogether :laugh:

Carwin will shut him up hopefully :)

Buc Nasty
02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Ahh, is Frank still crying about this....

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/284446/capt.b937663733814e05b45c652eb7deda51.mma_ufc_100_ nvlas202_large.jpg

Rev
02-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I dont see frank winning against Brock ever again aside from catching a lucky sub. How can we talking about Brock having an advantage over Mir because of his size and strength, and then mention him fighting Lyoto or AS?:blink:

rearnakedchoke
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Ahh, is Frank still crying about this....

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/284446/capt.b937663733814e05b45c652eb7deda51.mma_ufc_100_ nvlas202_large.jpg

haha .. classic photo .. i am by no means a brock fan, but against mur, i am .. LOL

LouMessina
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
I've been a big Frank Mir fan since day one. I don't think anything will change that (unless he kicks my ass for no reason). I agree Frank's comment went too far. However, there are situations when everyone has done the same. His apology was more than many people would do.

Frank's loss hasn't changed my opinion of him as a fighter at all. Nor has it changed my opinion of Lesnar as a fighter.

Lesnar went into the first match with Frank and tried MMA tactics. He failed miserably.

His tactics in the second match were more like what you would see in the WWE or a steel cage match. At one point he clutched Frank's throat and looked as though he would not have been reluctant to rip it out.

What we saw was a seasoned MMA fighter using MMA tactics, fighting someone whose UFC career, which was supposed to be lucrative ($200,000.00 minimum per match, which is what he got for his first fight with Frank), now in question because of the first match. He was desperate, and resorted to any tactics he could to save his career. His tactics and behavior in the ring were exactly the image the UFC has been trying to eliminate.

I believe Frank's comments were motivated by Lesnar's tactics, and not by the matche's outcome.

Tyburn
03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I've been a big Frank Mir fan since day one. I don't think anything will change that (unless he kicks my ass for no reason). I agree Frank's comment went too far. However, there are situations when everyone has done the same. His apology was more than many people would do.

Frank's loss hasn't changed my opinion of him as a fighter at all. Nor has it changed my opinion of Lesnar as a fighter.

Lesnar went into the first match with Frank and tried MMA tactics. He failed miserably.

His tactics in the second match were more like what you would see in the WWE or a steel cage match. At one point he clutched Frank's throat and looked as though he would not have been reluctant to rip it out.

What we saw was a seasoned MMA fighter using MMA tactics, fighting someone whose UFC career, which was supposed to be lucrative ($200,000.00 minimum per match, which is what he got for his first fight with Frank), now in question because of the first match. He was desperate, and resorted to any tactics he could to save his career. His tactics and behavior in the ring were exactly the image the UFC has been trying to eliminate.

I believe Frank's comments were motivated by Lesnar's tactics, and not by the matche's outcome.

The unfortunate thing is that we are all responsible for our own actions.

Brock Lesnar is not a perfect example...but WADR the UFC is also trying to stamp out stupid comments like the one Frank Mir made...so now rather then one numbskull...we have two...and we are to blame Brock Lesnar for both??

Nah...pull the other one, its got bells on it.

Brock Lesnar has to learn to control himself after a match. He has to work on being professional. He's only had a few bouts, he is, for want of a better word, still a noob. Regardless of the level he's competing with.

But Frank Mir should know better. He's NOT a noob. He's fought and held the title. It is more of a disgrace because he isnt in that level of the learning curve anymore. Regardless of what Brock Lesnar did...Frank Mir is wholly responsible for those words...not for the outcome of a match, not for Brock Lesnars lack of showmanship...but for his own words...which have now sparked a range of comments from other fighters which are equally of poor taste.

Appologising because you are forced to by the Administration, is not whats required.

Shoots like a girl
03-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I was Lesner fan when he was with WWE, but when he came to UFC and I got to see the real Brock Lesner I wasnt impressed at all. I do like Frank Mir. I know he can be a jerk, but I like him! He was out of line bigtime, but who doesnt get pissed and say things they shouldnt or that they dont mean? I was happy with his apology.

rockdawg21
03-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm one of the biggest Brock nuthuggers on this board and even I think it's stupid that Mir had to apologize for this. BJ Penn was quoted "...to the death" and licks the blood of his opponents yet, nobody jumped on his ass about it.

Tyburn
03-11-2010, 11:16 PM
BJ Penn was quoted "...to the death" and licks the blood of his opponents yet, nobody jumped on his ass about it.

:blink: Excuse me...but I bring that up constantly...particularly the amount of crap he used to spout at Jens :angry:

The UFC wont punish Penn because he's still a favoured one of theirs...even if the novelty of that has worne off somewhat also :laugh:

Miss Foxy
03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
:blink: Excuse me...but I bring that up constantly...particularly the amount of crap he used to spout at Jens :angry:

The UFC wont punish Penn because he's still a favoured one of theirs...even if the novelty of that has worne off somewhat also :laugh:
Why do you dislike my BJ so much? He is a supurb athlete Dave..:tongue0011:

Tyburn
03-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Why do you dislike my BJ so much? He is a supurb athlete Dave..:tongue0011:

:laugh: would it be easier to list the attributes I DO like about him :ninja:

He can do a reasonable "Royal Wave" and he's got a cute little giggle.

Jason 16
03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm one of the biggest Brock nuthuggers on this board and even I think it's stupid that Mir had to apologize for this. BJ Penn was quoted "...to the death" and licks the blood of his opponents yet, nobody jumped on his ass about it.

lol every one that isnt sucking on his nutts did.

Shoots like a girl
03-12-2010, 12:07 AM
:laugh: would it be easier to list the attributes I DO like about him :ninja:

He can do a reasonable "Royal Wave" and he's got a cute little giggle.

Im not a fan of BJ Penn either but was never brave enough to admit it here, I was afraid of losing a limb! LOL, he seems to have alot of fans here and my husband and I are on oposites sides on this one too. Cant say that its one thing, I just dont like the guy.

Miss Foxy
03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Im not a fan of BJ Penn either but was never brave enough to admit it here, I was afraid of losing a limb! LOL, he seems to have alot of fans here and my husband and I are on oposites sides on this one too. Cant say that its one thing, I just dont like the guy.

Same reason I don't like GSP.. I can respect that..:huh:

rockdawg21
03-13-2010, 12:24 PM

lol every one that isnt sucking on his nutts did.

Ok, well let me rephrase it:

I'm one of the biggest Brock nuthuggers on this board and even I think it's stupid that Mir had to apologize for this. BJ Penn was quoted "...to the death" and licks the blood of his opponents yet, the press didn't jump on his ass about it.

It's a double standard, and it's f'ing stupid.