View Full Version : Vitamins + Weight Gain

Conrad
08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Good morning.

I don't like supplements much, but I'll skip why I'm taking a vitamin now. (I prefer more variety veggies over the pills, but no, I'm not a vegetarian.) That said, it seems like I gain weight whenever I take vitamins. I realize that this might also be caused by whatever other factors are going on, even those related to why I'm taking a vitamin.

Those factors aside or dealt with, has anyone else noticed this? Is the cause usually the surrounding factors?

mikthehick
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
We really can blame whatever we want on weight gain. For a while there, I was also blaming my vitamins, and then I even gave up my allergy medication because I thought I was stagnating on my weight loss attempts.

However, a month later, after eating what I thought was normal, working out about an hour a day, and being completely miserable with my allergies, my mom said I was "fat". We were on vacation in Arizona.

That really stung--and it doesn't make any sense because my mom isn't the skinniest lady around either, but she said she doesn't want me to end up on her route of 'yo-yo' dieting.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not fat at all, but probably at the upperend of my weight range. So after I got back from Arizona, I really started eating the fruit, veggies, and meat, cut out some carbs (not all), and I work out at both of my gyms 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

I'll do an hour of Muay Thai or boxing 2x a week and then I'll drive down to the UVA gym to run, do some elliptical, weights, or swim. I also walk on lunch break. Physical activity is key. It's the simple math, since 3500 calories = a pound. Just cuz back 500 calories a day and you'll lose 1 pound a week. Or, if you like to eat a ton, just make sure you work it off.

Losing weight is not easy, but neither is gaining it. I don't know anyone who puts on 30 pounds overnight. It takes time to get bigger, and it takes time to get smaller.

This summer, I went from 162, and I weighed myself last night and I was 147. I'm also about 5'6". I can see the muscles building up and I fit into some size 8 shorts again :)

I'm being completely honest here--most women will fudge their weight numbers to make themselves feel better, but the scale doesn't lie, and we shouldn't lie to ourselves either.

County Mike
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Unless the vitamins are making you retain water, I doubt they're causing weight gain. No calories in vitamins (that I know of) so they wouldn't increase your bodyfat. It's probably just the donuts. :)

Conrad
08-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Unless the vitamins are making you retain water, I doubt they're causing weight gain. No calories in vitamins (that I know of) so they wouldn't increase your bodyfat. It's probably just the donuts. :)

Wait, there are doughnaughts? I'm always the last to know.

Thanks Mike. That may be it. I've looked at the other factors (am I eating crappy, sleeping enough, exercise, etc?). In a way, it makes sense. I'm not overly concerned with holding some extra water. This is Arizona and it's hard enough to stay hydrated. That's something I didn't think of is that I've increased my electrolytes too. (duh)

Thanks Mike Hick, too. It's all in the basics.