PDA

View Full Version : Matt has underrated striking

Crisco
03-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I've been rewatching a bunch of Matt's and honestly his striking is GOOD.

He is crisp has good kicks and puts it all together really well.

His striking got a bad rep after the GSP fight but Matt looked really good up until he started getting tagged.

Matt could easily KO/TKO Serra in a stand up fight.

Watch some older fights and tell me how you feel.

Bonnie
03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
They were replaying, on Spike, a couple of his matches, one was with GSP, the other his Alves match.

I agree, I think his striking is crisp and his kicks good. I do think he needs to try to keep his hands up tighter in to the face to protect his head/face more. Btw, I got that from his DVD where he shows how to hold your hands, etc...

Matt's legs aren't real long, but I think his kicks are good from what I've seen. I don't know if I've seen, in any of his fights, him kick anyone in the head though.

I've heard on those UFC previews where they do the soundbites of the opponents, all three guys, GSP, Penn, and Alves commented, basically, on how they had Matt's number. How they already knew what he was going to do. Throw a punch and go for the takedown.

I know it's natural, because Matt comes from a wrestling background, to want to take them down. But, I know he's said he wanted to improve his striking and be able to KO someone. I know Audra wants blood, but I wouldn't mind Matt knocking Serra out cold.

medic92
03-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Knockouts are cool and good for the highlight reel, but I don't want Serra to be able to sit there after the fight and say he "just got caught". I think being mounted and beat to a pulp by Matt's ground and pound would be much more definitive and humiliating. I've been caught by punches and kicks and thought about what could have been if I hadn't gotten caught, but it's the fights where I was dominated and couldn't do anything about it that I still think about.

I like the idea of Serra, helpless to stop the carnage like BJ Penn was when Matt had him in that crucifix, beating the crap out of him.

Vizion
03-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Matt should stick to his bread and butter - wrestling. I hope he slams Serra and gets in some solid G & P before the ref calls it.

WAR HUGHES:punch:

Bonnie
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Knockouts are cool and good for the highlight reel, but I don't want Serra to be able to sit there after the fight and say he "just got caught". I think being mounted and beat to a pulp by Matt's ground and pound would be much more definitive and humiliating. I've been caught by punches and kicks and thought about what could have been if I hadn't gotten caught, but it's the fights where I was dominated and couldn't do anything about it that I still think about.

I like the idea of Serra, helpless to stop the carnage like BJ Penn was when Matt had him in that crucifix, beating the crap out of him.

I said, "I wouldn't mind Matt KO Serra...", however, I don't care how he gets the job done so long as he takes him out! :laugh:

Straight Right
03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

+1

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
However he wins................strikes, :punch: TKO, TapOut.....standing RNC!!!!

It doesnt matter to me, as long as his hand is raised at the end!!!!:)

If I had my preference though.....
I would say the standing RNC, that was freaking awesome!!!!!:w00t:
Still my fav:w00t:

I do like the crucifix that he got BJ into, that would have to be my
second fav!!!:wink:

However it turns out.........
WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:jumping0044: :jumping0044: :jumping0044:

medic92
03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
However he wins................strikes, :punch: TKO, TapOut.....standing RNC!!!!

I've changed my mind. As much as I enjoy the idea of Serra getting pounded into retirement, I think I'd rather see Hughes submit him. The humiliation of the vaunted BJJ black belt being beaten and submitted by a wrestler would probably send Serra into retirement and therapy.

rearnakedchoke
03-25-2009, 12:41 AM
I'd like to see him sub serra ... i just think he will beat on him for three rounds to a UD

Llamafighter
03-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Against Serra Matt's feet would be on the ground and Serra would look like a baby in one of those front harnesses! :)

bry241173
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM

Or, how about an armbar from the gracie fight.... but this time don't worry about snapping it!

Miss Foxy
03-31-2009, 05:22 PM
My preference GROUND N POUND... Give that lil trash talker Serra a beatdown.. :w00t:

KevinD
03-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I am all for a beatdown of serra by any means Hughes sees fit!!
Has far as Matt's striking goes, I think he has very good strikes. The only thing working against Matt his his build. He is built for wrestling. He's very powerful, compact, and has short limbs.

Its like Sean Sherk. He has good boxing technique but his arms are so short he tends to leave his punches short. Matt's area of strength is definately the ground and pound where he has dominated for years. I hope he doesn't try a stand up battle with Serra. That would be a much riskier fight than he would need to make it.

Crisco
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I am all for a beatdown of serra by any means Hughes sees fit!!
Has far as Matt's striking goes, I think he has very good strikes. The only thing working against Matt his his build. He is built for wrestling. He's very powerful, compact, and has short limbs.

Its like Sean Sherk. He has good boxing technique but his arms are so short he tends to leave his punches short. Matt's area of strength is definately the ground and pound where he has dominated for years. I hope he doesn't try a stand up battle with Serra. That would be a much riskier fight than he would need to make it.

I disagree. Hughes' disadvantage in striking has usually been his reach. Serra is stubby. The perfect build for Hughes to beat on.

Matt wins this fight anyway he wants and he has the advantage everywhere.

atomdanger
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Matt should stick to his bread and butter - wrestling. I hope he slams Serra and gets in some solid G & P before the ref calls it.

WAR HUGHES:punch:

I agree.

Chuck
04-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Matt has great striking but I would rather he dosen't stand and bang with Sarah....

the last thing I want is for Sarah to get some cheap ass lucky shot...

We can't have that... :ninja: