PDA

View Full Version : American Independance Day Celebration Thread

Tyburn
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-vn67BiOeI

I kind of like it as a march :laugh:

I hope everyone has a fun festival over there...in England we obviously dont celebrate it...BUT at work we are...it turns out that this week is Walmarts 50th Birthday :rolleyes:

So we get a celebration lunch tommorow and it will be all americanized because it clashes with their independance day...so we're celebrating both :happydancing:

Buc Nasty
07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Happy 4th of July you bumders!

Funny how the only people who've posted are british! :laugh:

Tyburn
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM

:laugh:...we have got the date right...no :huh:

MattHughesRocks
07-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Hurray! The stupid parades are over now I can go shopping! :w00t:

:happydancing:

Tyburn
07-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Hurray! The stupid parades are over now I can go shopping! :w00t:

:happydancing:

do they do like a special independance day sale :w00t::laugh:

We had a celebration lunch at work, (really due to Walmarts 50th Birthday) but they hung up American Bunting, and we had American Flag Napkins, and statue of liberty on the paper plates...and we had burger and fries at lunch

it was fantastic :happydancing:

MattHughesRocks
07-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Everyday is a sale day in American retail :laugh:
Sounds like you are having more of a "4th" then I!

do they do like a special independance day sale :w00t::laugh:

We had a celebration lunch at work, (really due to Walmarts 50th Birthday) but they hung up American Bunting, and we had American Flag Napkins, and statue of liberty on the paper plates...and we had burger and fries at lunch

it was fantastic :happydancing:

Bonnie
07-05-2012, 01:01 AM

Happy 4th to everyone...including our British friends, afterall, we wouldn't be celebrating Independence Day if not for Great Britain. :laugh:

flo
07-05-2012, 05:02 AM

Happy 4th to everyone...including our British friends, afterall, we wouldn't be celebrating Independence Day if not for Great Britain. :laugh:

What Bonnie said! :happydancing:

We just got back from Freedom Fest at Ft. Lewis, there were LOTS of people but it was great being back on post.

County Mike
07-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Happy 4th of July you bumders!

We were all too busy celebrating to see the thread earlier. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Thats one way to look at it I suppose :mellow:

how did you celebrate Bonnie :huh:

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
What Bonnie said! :happydancing:

We just got back from Freedom Fest at Ft. Lewis, there were LOTS of people but it was great being back on post.

what is Freedom Fest :huh:

Is it like a "Cookout" For those who dont know, Americans dont seem to use the tern BBQ...they say "cookout" instead....Jeff Crow told me that :laugh:

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmMitkvoLB8

are these Fireworks actually being launched from the Mall at all...they look more like they might be comming from Arlington Cemetry :blink:

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 08:36 PM
They are not as good as ours...They should have used the Washington Monument as the focal point, because there is plenty of unobstructed land right around there...in the same sort of way that we use the London Eye for the New Years...it gives some kind of focal point...your not just then watching ten mins of fireworks, but a light display that uses the architecture...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy_9bx6U8_0 You have the reflection pools and different monuments that you could light up...I remember saying in one of my videos when I visited your Capitol that there are three main problems with Washington DC...first, its far to European in design and layout, Secondly, its got far to many tourists in it, and thirdly, they do not light the city like they could, and arguably should do....its too white and too dim IMHO

btw...does your country actually celebrate victory in the Civil War aswell...or not really?

Bonnie
07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Thats one way to look at it I suppose :mellow:

how did you celebrate Bonnie :huh:

We went to the fireworks show they put on locally every year; it was really nice. :) Someone had their truck radio on and they were playing all these great "American" songs while the fireworks were going off. :cool:

Bonnie
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
what is Freedom Fest :huh:

Is it like a "Cookout" For those who dont know, Americans dont seem to use the tern BBQ...they say "cookout" instead....Jeff Crow told me that :laugh:

We do use the term BBQ here in Texas, but a cookout could refer to a BBQ, a crawfish boil, grilling burgers, hotdogs, or any number of things. I guess it just depends on what part of the country you're from as to how you refer to things. :)

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 10:34 PM
, a crawfish boil,

a what :scared0015::laugh:

Tyburn
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
We went to the fireworks show they put on locally every year; it was really nice. :) Someone had their truck radio on and they were playing all these great "American" songs while the fireworks were going off. :cool:

:happydancing: it sounds really lovely!! :happydancing:

Sometimes its nice to just have a celebration, even if its short and sweet...we live in difficult times and I think its okay to have the odd moment of happiness.

We also had music going in the canteen at work, lots of country and western, and stuff like that...really...the lil lady who organises this did sooo well...it wasnt anything huge...but she had obviously put a lot of effort...I really enjoyed it!

They even had these chocolates called "Kisses" which they claimed were American...I dont know if they really were coz the original packaging had gone. They were really small little chocolate drops...alot like Lindt except maybe a third the size, individually wrapped...

I had two :ashamed:

Its times like this that I think back to my States Trip and sorta wished I was back there....I like Tackobell and Waffle House (they dont have EITHER in England!!!)

Bonnie
07-06-2012, 04:55 AM
a what :scared0015::laugh:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/shaneandnicole/Crawfish%20Boil/Crawfish11.jpg

Bonnie
07-06-2012, 05:04 AM
:happydancing: it sounds really lovely!! :happydancing:

Sometimes its nice to just have a celebration, even if its short and sweet...we live in difficult times and I think its okay to have the odd moment of happiness.

We also had music going in the canteen at work, lots of country and western, and stuff like that...really...the lil lady who organises this did sooo well...it wasnt anything huge...but she had obviously put a lot of effort...I really enjoyed it!

They even had these chocolates called "Kisses" which they claimed were American...I dont know if they really were coz the original packaging had gone. They were really small little chocolate drops...alot like Lindt except maybe a third the size, individually wrapped...

I had two :ashamed:

Its times like this that I think back to my States Trip and sorta wished I was back there....I like Tackobell and Waffle House (they dont have EITHER in England!!!)

It sounds like she put a lot of "American" into it right down to the Hershey's Kisses. :)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mattsimis/Americandy/HersheysKissesBigBagcopy.jpg

Buc Nasty
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
We were all too busy celebrating to see the thread earlier. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Haha!

This is the exact song that enters my head whenever I hear americans get patriotic!

Tyburn
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/shaneandnicole/Crawfish%20Boil/Crawfish11.jpg

:scared0015: There is far to many of those things in that pot :laugh:

I'm not keen on prawns...I had a bad experience in 1999...My family took me to Les Rocquettes Hotel on the Channel Island of Guernsey...We started with a long car journey to the airport, then we flew on the smallest, most ricketty plane ever, and it was my first time flying...then we arrived I had a large baked potatoe and prawns for lunch, followed by playing in their indoor swimming pool.

After that I didnt feel so good...and spewed in my bedroom...and all the prawns came back up...ive never been able to eat prawns since...its psychological of course...I obviously overdid things, the prawns didnt make me sick but Its the association.

Now I dont mind the giant prawns and the lobsters that you snap the heads off and have to peel...that looks more like the stuff in that pot...but I couldnt eat a lot of it I dont think :unsure-1:

Tyburn
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
It sounds like she put a lot of "American" into it right down to the Hershey's Kisses. :)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mattsimis/Americandy/HersheysKissesBigBagcopy.jpg

:w00t: YES :w00t:

They were very nice :ashamed:

flo
07-07-2012, 03:24 AM
:w00t: YES :w00t:

They were very nice :ashamed:

The ones with almonds are even better!11:w00t:

Tyburn
07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
The ones with almonds are even better!11:w00t:

these didnt have nuts in, they were just plain...I have to be a bit careful with nuts...I developed an allergy to peanuts...but it doesnt extend to all nuts...It was halloween and and we had to call out the ambulance to Granville!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSIFJbgwOA

Bonnie
07-07-2012, 04:31 PM
:scared0015: There is far to many of those things in that pot :laugh:

I'm not keen on prawns...I had a bad experience in 1999...My family took me to Les Rocquettes Hotel on the Channel Island of Guernsey...We started with a long car journey to the airport, then we flew on the smallest, most ricketty plane ever, and it was my first time flying...then we arrived I had a large baked potatoe and prawns for lunch, followed by playing in their indoor swimming pool.

After that I didnt feel so good...and spewed in my bedroom...and all the prawns came back up...ive never been able to eat prawns since...its psychological of course...I obviously overdid things, the prawns didnt make me sick but Its the association.

Now I dont mind the giant prawns and the lobsters that you snap the heads off and have to peel...that looks more like the stuff in that pot...but I couldnt eat a lot of it I dont think :unsure-1:

With crawfish, you pull off the head and suck it! :laugh: I love peeled, "cleaned" crawfish with cocktail sauce or in etouffee, but I don't like to mess with those nasty heads! :laugh:

Tyburn
07-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't like to mess with those nasty heads! :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: