PDA

View Full Version : Shogun prepares for Chuck

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 07:36 PM
http://sherdog.com/news/articles/maia-others-refining-shogun-16687

Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has adopted a new approach and surrounded himself with an all-star cast of trainers as he prepares for one of the most significant fights of his career.

In advance of his battle against Liddell, Rua has enlisted the help of four top trainers. He invited one of the most respected men in Brazil, Sergio Cunha, to serve as his head coach.
In an effort to sharpen his jiu-jitsu, he brought in middleweight contender Demian Maia, who has submitted all five of his opponents inside the Octagon.
In addition, Rua hired Eric Haddad, one of the top professionals in the Sao Paulo area, to improve his much maligned conditioning.
Leaving no stone unturned, he also welcomed Renato Roma, a five-time national freestyle wrestling champion, into his camp.

“The fans will see the Shogun that he was at Pride.”

Wow, sounds like Shogun is doing everything he can,
I really hope he shows up for this fight and retires Chuck.

matthughesfan21
03-23-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm rooting for Chuck here, but I would like to see Shogun get back into form, it would be a shame to see that talent go to waste

Miss Foxy
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
:) I would like to see Chuck win. I think it would be a great end to his fighting glory days....

rearnakedchoke
03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Shogun is going to dominate ... War Rua ..

County Mike
03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm starting to doubt some of the "work ethic" that is protrayed by fighters. I'm sure some of them really are training as hard as they display. Others, I think talk it up and put on a good show for the cameras but then come fight time they look like crap. I think they show a grueling workout for the cameras, then go back to mediocre workouts when the media leaves. Otherwise, we wouldn't see fighters gassing out in the first round.

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Shogun is going to dominate ... War Rua ..

haha At least I am not alone

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm starting to doubt some of the "work ethic" that is protrayed by fighters. I'm sure some of them really are training as hard as they display. Others, I think talk it up and put on a good show for the cameras but then come fight time they look like crap. I think they show a grueling workout for the cameras, then go back to mediocre workouts when the media leaves. Otherwise, we wouldn't see fighters gassing out in the first round.

I agree.

A lot of guys get tired in the first, or even after the second.
Heck, after the second I think both Rampage and Jardine slowed wayyy down.

rearnakedchoke
03-23-2009, 08:42 PM
haha At least I am not alone
well, i agree that he has looked bad ... in that first fight against forrest, he was taken down over and over .. that will gas people ... in the coleman fight, same thing and by a much bigger guy .. if you look at his pride fights, people weren't interested in taking him down, and he kicked ass ... chuck isn't going to take him down and shogun is gonna pick him apart with leg kicks, punches and eventually sub him of tko ..

Maldonado136
03-23-2009, 11:51 PM
im rooting for shogun but i got chuck by 3rd round tko. i know that shogun is saying he'll be in shape but he also said that before the coleman fight so i cant really take his word for it. i really hope he can prove me wrong.

Josh
03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
In an effort to sharpen his jiu-jitsu, he brought in middleweight contender Demian Maia, who has submitted all five of his opponents inside the Octagon.
He should have started by watching some of Chuck's fights. When was the last time Chuck tried to submit someone? Chuck should be about the easiest guy to prepare for.

Moose
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
You could run a half marathon and still gas in the second round. I've seen it myself, a buddy of mine is in incredible shape, but for whatever reason, be it mental/a difference in aerobic/anaerobic, or not peaking at the right time, his legs were sluggish, his arms acted like they weighed 200 lbs.

Jason 16
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
He should have started by watching some of Chuck's fights. When was the last time Chuck tried to submit someone? Chuck should be about the easiest guy to prepare for.

umm chuck has never been subed eather. I he gets rocked he may look to pull guard or training with maia might be just for bjj for the purpose of gnp regardless it will never hurt to train with maia

Crisco
03-24-2009, 10:09 PM
umm chuck has never been subed eather. I he gets rocked he may look to pull guard or training with maia might be just for bjj for the purpose of gnp regardless it will never hurt to train with maia

Training with Maia is never bad for your game.

He doesn't want to lack in any area in his camp. He has an all star team looks like.

Still I hope Chuck KO's his head off. I want Chuck to hold the belt one more time just because the unlikely hood. That and I will always love chuck.

bj44
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
shogun has alot of question marks around him...

So does chuck actually, who knows whats gonna happen in this fight. Ill be rooting for chuck though.

Jason 16
03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
shogun has alot of question marks around him...

So does chuck actually, who knows whats gonna happen in this fight. Ill be rooting for chuck though.

like what happened to the shogun that destroyed rampage and Arona

que
03-25-2009, 02:49 AM
i think shogun is going to get knocked out, unfortunately. he seems like a nice guy so it will be sad

Maldonado136
03-25-2009, 04:07 AM

Jeremy Horn begs to differ!:rolleyes:

bj44
03-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Jeremy Horn begs to differ!:rolleyes:
correct

chuck didnt tap though

Moose
03-25-2009, 05:07 AM
correct

chuck didnt tap though

He was too busy falling asleep.

CAVEMAN
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
On paper this is Shogun's fight. My gut, tells me Chuck!

Tyburn
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I vote for Rua :w00t:

Llamafighter
03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
On paper this is Shogun's fight. My gut, tells me Chuck!

Chuck is making changes to his training as well, and he REALLY hates losing.
I think Rua might be in some trouble.

Jason 16
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
He was too busy falling asleep.
sorry i remember that now . just when i looked at sherdog it listed it as a tko

bradwright
03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
sorry to say the fight is over already as far as Chuck is concerned,
he has no chance.

Miss Foxy
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I can't respond to Brad due to our truce!! Dang I have soooo much to say... :laugh:

matthughesfan21
03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
sorry to say the fight is over already as far as Chuck is concerned,
he has no chance.
I'm just wondering if you've watched Shogun fight in oh how about the last 2 years

bradwright
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm just wondering if you've watched Shogun fight in oh how about the last 2 years
he's fighting Chuck remember.

matthughesfan21
03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
he's fighting Chuck remember.yeah and he fought an extremely out of shape and washed up coleman and that didn't help him any

bj44
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
i would actually take chuck to beat rashad in a rematch, im crazy like that

He did win the first round

bradwright
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
yeah and he fought an extremely out of shape and washed up coleman and that didn't help him any
i'm not sure if your point is valid or not because i'm
:tongue0011: and saying i cant hear you,

actually, all kidding aside,Dave says Shogun is gonna win and
thats good enough for me,after all how many times does Dave get things
like this wrong?.....on second thought, i take Chuck,TKO in the second round.

just kidding,(again) like i said before,Chuck has no chance.

Crisco
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
i'm not sure if your point is valid or not because i'm
:tongue0011: and saying i cant hear you,

actually, all kidding aside,Dave says Shogun is gonna win and
thats good enough for me,after all how many times does Dave get things
like this wrong?.....on second thought, i take Chuck,TKO in the second round.

just kidding,(again) like i said before,Chuck has no chance.

Sig bet>?