PDA

View Full Version : Going to Chicago this week, need ideas

que
03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
i'm going to chicago this week for 5 days to visit some good friends and even scope out the place for a possible move there.

i'm sure my friends there will have some ideas but i know we have alot of Illinois members here too... any ideas for things i should see/do while i am there?

TexasRN
03-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Meet Oprah.

You know you want to..... :laugh:

~Amy

logrus
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Meet Oprah.

You know you want to..... :laugh:

~Amy

Naaa go here

http://www.stevewilkos.com/

Sugar Shane
03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Cheesecake Factory and Giordannos (spelling?) Yeah, leave it to the fat kid to bring up the food places.

rockdawg21
03-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Field Natural History Museum - they have the most complete T-Rex in the world there ("Sue").

I've always wanted to go there!

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/

TexasRN
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Cheesecake Factory and Giordannos (spelling?) Yeah, leave it to the fat kid to bring up the food places.

Aren't those in every city? I know the Cheesecake Factory is. I love that place.

~Amy

mikthehick
03-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Aren't those in every city? I know the Cheesecake Factory is. I love that place.

~Amy

I wish....Charlottesville doesn't have one...

Chris, go to the sears tower since I couldn't go last time I was there:w00t:

matthughesfan21
03-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Field Natural History Museum - they have the most complete T-Rex in the world there ("Sue").

I've always wanted to go there!

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/Its actually not that awesome, I felt bored there...the other museum(science museum or something like that) is much better IMO.

rockdawg21
03-23-2009, 12:20 AM
Its actually not that awesome, I felt bored there...the other museum(science museum or something like that) is much better IMO.
I'd say you don't like science as much as I do :laugh:

J.B.
03-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Go eat at Ed Debevic's, their food is awesome, and the servers dance on the tables and are rude to the customers, it's great.

Field Museum, The Museum of Science and Industry, The Art Institute, Shed Aquarium, and Navy Pier are all fun if you have never been there before, or if you are on field trip in junior high.

If you like concerts, check out who is playing at local venues like the Aragon Ballroom, The Riviera, Double-Door Bar, or the Metro.

One thing that is kinda "touristy" but I still love to do whenever I am downtown in the daytime is going up to the top of Sears Tower, which they just renamed "Willis Tower". The view is awesome on a clear day.

Or even take in a Bulls or a Blackhawks game, seeing the United Center is a must for anybody in Chicago.

Just stay off the Eden's Expressway around 5pm. Or just avoid driving at all around 5pm. That sucks.

Tyburn
03-23-2009, 12:46 AM
i'm going to chicago this week for 5 days to visit some good friends and even scope out the place for a possible move there.

i'm sure my friends there will have some ideas but i know we have alot of Illinois members here too... any ideas for things i should see/do while i am there?
Move quick. :ninja:

Be there by October...and you'll get to meet me :w00t:

Primadawn
03-23-2009, 01:35 AM
I know someone in Chicago that could show you a good time! Oh wait..no..he said he'd show ME a good time...never mind!:laugh:

que
03-23-2009, 01:43 AM
thanks for the ideas guys! i will try to check some of those out

matthughesfan21
03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
I'd say you don't like science as much as I do :laugh:didn't I say I liked the SCIENCE museum better:wink:

matthughesfan21
03-23-2009, 01:48 AM
Go eat at Ed Debevic's, their food is awesome, and the servers dance on the tables and are rude to the customers, it's great.

Field Museum, The Museum of Science and Industry, The Art Institute, Shed Aquarium, and Navy Pier are all fun if you have never been there before, or if you are on field trip in junior high.

If you like concerts, check out who is playing at local venues like the Aragon Ballroom, The Riviera, Double-Door Bar, or the Metro.

One thing that is kinda "touristy" but I still love to do whenever I am downtown in the daytime is going up to the top of Sears Tower, which they just renamed "Willis Tower". The view is awesome on a clear day.

Or even take in a Bulls or a Blackhawks game, seeing the United Center is a must for anybody in Chicago.

Just stay off the Eden's Expressway around 5pm. Or just avoid driving at all around 5pm. That sucks.Forgot about Ed Debevic's its awesome, I love that place, but go early because it gets packed...Navy Pier is a great time as well

rockdawg21
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
didn't I say I liked the SCIENCE museum better:wink:
Ugh, I was tired last night, my bad, lol

atomdanger
03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
I've always wanted to go up the Sears tower.

But the most important thing you need to do,
is try "the best sandwich in the world" (Anthony Bourdain)
http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/02/bourdain-calls-three-little-pigs-sandwich-greatest-sandwich-in-america-video/

I Love this guy, and wanna try one of these next time I am in Chicago,
so you try it, and let us know if its really so tasty???

Silver Palm restaurant, Three little pigs Sandwich.

smoked ham, a breaded pork cutlet, two strips of bacon, and two fried eggs, blanketed in a thick coat of gruyere, all on a brioche bun.

Moose
03-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Let me know how long you'll be there, Que. I might be able to swing a trip up to Chicago on the company's dime.

timmyja
03-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Went to the Bears/Packers mon. nite game while visiting my mom and dad this past dec. AWESOME time, except for the -7 degree weather lol. After a few "Bloody Mike's," I even started feeling my toes again!

Llamafighter
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I know someone in Chicago that could show you a good time! Oh wait..no..he said he'd show ME a good time...never mind!:laugh:
By "know" you mean "read something the wrote on a stall door", don't you?
:laugh: :ninja:

Primadawn
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
By "know" you mean "read something the wrote on a stall door", don't you?
:laugh: :ninja:

No...I mean "know" as in carnally....:laugh:

CAVEMAN
03-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Just stay off the Eden's Expressway around 5pm. Or just avoid driving at all around 5pm. That sucks.

Definitely Ed's!

Que, be careful on Rush Street!

Didn't I just hear that foreigners own the Sears Tower now?

matthughesfan21
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Definitely Ed's!

Que, be careful on Rush Street!

Didn't I just hear that foreigners own the Sears Tower now?Unfortunately you are correct...its willis tower now:cry:

que
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
got back yesterday and i had a great time. we went practically everywhere. spent a couple days just walking around downtown. ate some amazing food. i visited the art institute of chicago which is beautiful. i've seen alot of art institutes but this one was unique, the architecture is amazing. not only for that building but all the other buildings in the area as well. the last day of my trip we went to the bahai temple which is supposed to be for christianity, judeism, hinduism and buddhism. spent a while in there in pure silence admiring the beauty of it all and then some monks came in and started quoting some scripture, then some other monks came in and chanted and sang for a while. very interesting and the acoustics in there were great. the temple was extremely beautiful and it sits on top of a hill which was so windy i felt like i was on top of a mountain while climbing the steps to the temple. that was cool and probably the highlight of my trip. i am sold on chicago and will most likely be moving there this summer

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
the last day of my trip we went to the bahai temple which is supposed to be for christianity, judeism, hinduism and buddhism. spent a while in there in pure silence admiring the beauty of it all and then some monks came in and started quoting some scripture, then some other monks came in and chanted and sang for a while. very interesting and the acoustics in there were great. the temple was extremely beautiful and it sits on top of a hill which was so windy i felt like i was on top of a mountain while climbing the steps to the temple. that was cool and probably the highlight of my trip. i am sold on chicago and will most likely be moving there this summer
I might visit that whilst I'm in Chicago on tour :ninja:

que
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I might visit that whilst I'm in Chicago on tour :ninja:

you should, you would like it

J.B.
03-31-2009, 12:26 AM
The Art Institute is cool, but Museum of Science and Industry was always my favorite. Glad to hear you dug Chi-Town Que. I was just by the Bahai Temple last week on my way back from Wisconsin, that building is crazy.

My band is actually playing a show at a new place right across the street from the Art Institute in a couple weeks, which is awesome because there are always a lot of people on Michigan ave on a Friday Night.