PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, I'm living so far.

F34R
05-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Sorry I've been out of here for a month almost. I was working on the 20th, night time, and about two hours after midnight, making it the 21st, I was flown to a hospital, almost dead. I had some surgery for my head/brain, and so far, I'm still living.

I was in Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA, for two weeks after being in a hospital for two weeks until I was able to be awake, etc.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to a neurological clinic for therapy, three days per week. My brain is still bruised and having some healing issues each day. This clinic I'll be at will be helping me do some work for my brain to start working properly with cognitive decisions, and some advancements.

Hope everyone here has been ok.

flo
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry I've been out of here for a month almost. I was working on the 20th, night time, and about two hours after midnight, making it the 21st, I was flown to a hospital, almost dead. I had some surgery for my head/brain, and so far, I'm still living.

I was in Shepherd Center in Atlanta, GA, for two weeks after being in a hospital for two weeks until I was able to be awake, etc.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to a neurological clinic for therapy, three days per week. My brain is still bruised and having some healing issues each day. This clinic I'll be at will be helping me do some work for my brain to start working properly with cognitive decisions, and some advancements.

Hope everyone here has been ok.

Oh that's just horrible, F34R, I'm so sorry! :cry: I wondered where you were and figured you were just busy. Thank heavens you got to a hospital in time. Did they find out what caused this? I'll say prayers for you, bro (it would help to know your first name...), for a full recovery.

F34R
05-14-2012, 12:35 AM
My name is James. I barely know what exactly went on that night. I can remember literally up to two minutes what I was doing on a call for service, then something happened during that incident.

Everyone I've talked to, medical people, feel that it's just going to take some time but feel that I'll be 100% back around. I really hope this happens and I plan on doing everything I'm told to do in order to get myself healed.

Thank you very much for your comments.

MattHughesRocks
05-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Sorry dude! Did you get shot? :sad:

F34R
05-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Sorry dude! Did you get shot? :sad:

No, I wasn't shot. I can't really describe what actually happened beyond that though. I've kinda been given some info about what happened but I literally can't remember it. Thank you for your comment.

rearnakedchoke
05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
damn bro .. that is some messed up stuff ... i hope everything gets better and you are back to your old self soon .... hang in there man!!!!

Bella79
05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Glad you are alive. I wish you nothing, but the best during your recovery time. Take it easy. X

F34R
05-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Again, thanks for the comments. I started my last therapy issues on Monday. I'll do it three days each week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.... I've been doing better each day regardless of the harm that I feel still, and even though my body takes a toll on me each day.

Thanks everyone.

flo
05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Glad to hear you're making progress, hang in there, James.

Bonnie
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
So sorry to hear what you've been going through, James, but so happy to know you are making progress. I'll be praying for you.

Keep up the good work in your therapy.

F34R
05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate them. I'll be in a number of therapy things today. I'll update how they decide I am so far...

VCURamFan
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
James, I'm really glad to hear you're doing OK & I hope the therapists give you a good report & a strong gameplan for how to imporve even more. Good luck & I'll be praying.

Neezar
05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I hope your therapy goes well. :)

F34R
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
It was pretty good. However, apparently a few days ago I stopped being able to smell or taste anything. They aren't really sure what is causing it right now. It could be some allergy issues or some brain issues. :(

Other than that, I'm progressing really well. The speech therapist has some goals to help my brain function really well. She said my speech and thoughts were top of the line right now. There is still a few functions that will take about a month to try and use to trigger my brain to fire off in a lot of great ways.

Physically therapist said I was doing extremely well, and my muscles are still kinda weak, but they are doing well. Only going to have to do her program for two weeks.

Thanks for the responses.

Neezar
05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I wonder if he still remembers us? :unsure-1:

Hope he's still okay.

F34R
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Sorry I haven't responded again. I just haven't really been on the internet that much.

Physical therapy - doing great. My muscles are still badly deteriorated, but they are rebuilding slowly. I've been lifting slightly during the day, along with balance and coordination system tests. Everything is doing well considering that I couldn't even walk a few weeks ago. I can walk again just fine, jog slowly, squat, leg press, leg curls, so I'm doing better.

Occupational Therapy - evaluation was amazing. The therapist stated that I did very well, and there wasn't a single thing she could write down against me. She was very positive with the results she got from her evaluation today.

Speech Therapist - blew me around today with some math tests and a few other types of word/math issues. I didn't have any issues with it and finished it really well, and quick. She was impressed and gave me great reviews for my accomplishments.

I later did some basic knowledge questions and did perfect on those as well.

I'm healing well, somethings slower than others, but still healing. My brain still has bruising so it's going to take a little while for it to heal properly.

Thank you all for your reading and comments.

Neezar
05-22-2012, 01:00 AM
Sounds like you are doing great! I hope you get back to 100%. :)

Bonnie
05-22-2012, 02:37 AM
It was pretty good. However, apparently a few days ago I stopped being able to smell or taste anything. They aren't really sure what is causing it right now. It could be some allergy issues or some brain issues.

Interesting...so you were able to taste and smell and then all of a sudden you couldn't? I'd be very interested to know if your smell and taste return, James, when you've completely healed. I will be praying for you that this is so. :)

Sorry I haven't responded again. I just haven't really been on the internet that much.

Physical therapy - doing great. My muscles are still badly deteriorated, but they are rebuilding slowly. I've been lifting slightly during the day, along with balance and coordination system tests. Everything is doing well considering that I couldn't even walk a few weeks ago. I can walk again just fine, jog slowly, squat, leg press, leg curls, so I'm doing better.

Occupational Therapy - evaluation was amazing. The therapist stated that I did very well, and there wasn't a single thing she could write down against me. She was very positive with the results she got from her evaluation today.

Speech Therapist - blew me around today with some math tests and a few other types of word/math issues. I didn't have any issues with it and finished it really well, and quick. She was impressed and gave me great reviews for my accomplishments.

I later did some basic knowledge questions and did perfect on those as well.

I'm healing well, somethings slower than others, but still healing. My brain still has bruising so it's going to take a little while for it to heal properly.

Thank you all for your reading and comments.

That's fantastic news, James. I'm sure your positive attitude is helping tremendously also in your healing. Keep it up! :)

flo
05-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Like Bonnie and Neez said, this is great news, James. You have a good attitude and I believe that does help in healing.

Hang in there, we need you in the predictions race! :)

F34R
05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Sounds like you are doing great! I hope you get back to 100%. :)
Thank you so much. It will take some time, but 100% is exactly what I am going to accomplish.
Interesting...so you were able to taste and smell and then all of a sudden you couldn't? I'd be very interested to know if your smell and taste return, James, when you've completely healed. I will be praying for you that this is so. :)

That's fantastic news, James. I'm sure your positive attitude is helping tremendously also in your healing. Keep it up! :)
Thank you for the comment and prayers. It makes my eyes water just thinking about the people that have done this for me. I'm extremely emotional and I want to thank you in person if I could.
Like Bonnie and Neez said, this is great news, James. You have a good attitude and I believe that does help in healing.

Hang in there, we need you in the predictions race! :)
I miss you all soooo much, even though it has only been a month. Thank you for replying; it helps me a lot.

F34R
08-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Just thought I'd post an update:

So, I'm just down to neuropsyc battle... once they clear me, I can get back to work. Unfortunately, my extraordinary progress has hit a speed bump and is going extremely slow. I'm still having some memory problems, speech problems, and some comprehension issues. They are telling me that they expect a 100% recovery, but it takes time. It's disheartening to know there is the chance that these functions won't get better, I'll have to learn to cope with certain things.

Physically, I mostly back to normal. I lose my balance a few times a day at most. Otherwise, you'd never really see that I had been hurt the way I was.

I'm sure there are a lot more things I can bring up, but it takes a little longer these days to type the post, make sure it is written the same way I thought about it, and it makes sense mostly lol.

Glad to be back on the forums.

MattHughesRocks
08-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Well your post sounded perfectly ok. Glad to hear from you dude :happy0159:

F34R
08-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Well your post sounded perfectly ok. Glad to hear from you dude :happy0159:

Thanks for the compliment. It took me almost 30 mins to submit that one lol.

MattHughesRocks
08-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Beats the 40 it took me! :laugh:

Thanks for the compliment. It took me almost 30 mins to submit that one lol.

VCURamFan
08-10-2012, 10:26 AM

So, I'm just down to neuropsyc battle... once they clear me, I can get back to work. Unfortunately, my extraordinary progress has hit a speed bump and is going extremely slow. I'm still having some memory problems, speech problems, and some comprehension issues. They are telling me that they expect a 100% recovery, but it takes time. It's disheartening to know there is the chance that these functions won't get better, I'll have to learn to cope with certain things.

Physically, I mostly back to normal. I lose my balance a few times a day at most. Otherwise, you'd never really see that I had been hurt the way I was.

I'm sure there are a lot more things I can bring up, but it takes a little longer these days to type the post, make sure it is written the same way I thought about it, and it makes sense mostly lol.

Man, glad to hear that you've progressed so far & that the docs are confident you'll come back even further! Lord willing, you'll be back winning the prediction threads before much longer!

Vizion
08-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow - had no idea. Glad you're recovering. I'm praying for you.

F34R
08-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it from the heart. God allowed me to stay here on earth, and I thank all of you for your prayers that have helped me. I have problems with words and thoughts some times so I hope this wasn't the wrong way to express myself.

I realized after reading the entire thread again that I never explained what happened to me that night. I still can't remember, and they've told me that I will never remember it. Here is the explanation I've been given though.

I was on a call, I'm a police officer, and I pulled off the road to talk to some kids that were out at almost 2am. While I was talking to them a car drive by us and hit my car, which struck me on the head and threw me about fifty feet. I hit the road. I had a lot of internal bleeding in my head, a subdural hematoma, which had to have a craniotomy. It's kinda hard to remember the specifics of the injuries to my head and brain, but I remember the neurologist saying they were able to keep the brainstem from rupturing. If thats the right terms for that, I don't really know. That's pretty much all I can remember from being explained to. Hope that helps. Sorry it took so long for this information.

MattHughesRocks
08-13-2012, 04:34 AM
Dude you are tough! :weightlifter: Your family must be crazy happy too :happydancing:

Glad you've made it so far :w00t:

Hey, can you get me out of a red light running ticket? :unsure-1:

:rolleyes:

Bonnie
08-13-2012, 05:04 AM

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it from the heart. God allowed me to stay here on earth, and I thank all of you for your prayers that have helped me. I have problems with words and thoughts some times so I hope this wasn't the wrong way to express myself.

I realized after reading the entire thread again that I never explained what happened to me that night. I still can't remember, and they've told me that I will never remember it. Here is the explanation I've been given though.

I was on a call, I'm a police officer, and I pulled off the road to talk to some kids that were out at almost 2am. While I was talking to them a car drive by us and hit my car, which struck me on the head and threw me about fifty feet. I hit the road. I had a lot of internal bleeding in my head, a subdural hematoma, which had to have a craniotomy. It's kinda hard to remember the specifics of the injuries to my head and brain, but I remember the neurologist saying they were able to keep the brainstem from rupturing. If thats the right terms for that, I don't really know. That's pretty much all I can remember from being explained to. Hope that helps. Sorry it took so long for this information.

God bless your heart, James, for all you've been through, you've made tremendous strides in a relatively short time. That's wonderful news that they expect you to make 100% recovery. This speed bump may just be a part of the process of how the body responds as it heals as time goes by so try not to be discouraged. :)

flo
08-13-2012, 05:54 AM
I want to echo what Bonnie said, good to see you back here, James. God Bless.

F34R
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the replies and blessings. It helps a lot emotionally and spiritually.

F34R
08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Hope this isn't wrong... here's a pic they took after a few days after having surgery. This is the best one I could find that shows the least amount of detail.

http://www.irshell.org/img/photo.jpg

VCURamFan
08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Wow, that is nuts, man! What a blessing that you survived & an even bigger one that you're able to be back on here communicating so clearly with us! Man, you're one heck of a fighter!! :punch: :cool:

flo
08-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Oh, you poor thing. :sad: You've been through so much! Your good attitude has to have been an asset in healing. Hang in there!

Bonnie
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
You are definitely a fighter, James!

Perseverance.... :happy0159:

MattHughesRocks
08-14-2012, 05:50 AM
:cry:

F34R
08-17-2012, 04:12 AM
I went over with my wife, some more of the things that have been "listed"... that's how I put it, "listed". There was an epidural hematoma, and several fractures on my face and top(I think) of head.

It seems she has gone over this stuff with me on several times, and it isn't always there. Sorry for forgetting to post some info.

Bonnie
08-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I went over with my wife, some more of the things that have been "listed"... that's how I put it, "listed". There was an epidural hematoma, and several fractures on my face and top(I think) of head.

It seems she has gone over this stuff with me on several times, and it isn't always there. Sorry for forgetting to post some info.

James, did your sense of smell and taste return?

F34R
08-18-2012, 01:11 AM
I have some taste and smell, but it's not nearly "authentic". I used to love coolranch doritos. I tried one yesterday... I almost gagged because it was disgusting. Almost all chips I've liked before have that same type of taste. It's weird. No one so far has been able to come up with a cause. Unless I misunderstood how it was explained lol.

MattHughesRocks
08-18-2012, 02:40 AM
Doritos are bad for you anyway! :laugh:

I have some taste and smell, but it's not nearly "authentic". I used to love coolranch doritos. I tried one yesterday... I almost gagged because it was disgusting. Almost all chips I've liked before have that same type of taste. It's weird. No one so far has been able to come up with a cause. Unless I misunderstood how it was explained lol.

F34R
08-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Doritos are bad for you anyway! :laugh:

Amen to that lol. I actually tried to explain to myself that I've been granted the power of bad taste for food that isn't good for me lol. I was on meds that day LOL!!

MattHughesRocks
08-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Have you tried anything that you used to think was yuck? That would be interesting....:rolleyes:

Amen to that lol. I actually tried to explain to myself that I've been granted the power of bad taste for food that isn't good for me lol. I was on meds that day LOL!!

F34R
08-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Have you tried anything that you used to think was yuck? That would be interesting....:rolleyes:

I'm terribly afraid to do that, honestly. I have though, and it hasn't been a bad experience. It didn't taste good, but it wasn't worse either. Broccoli. :ashamed:

Bonnie
08-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Do they expect this will improve over time or they don't know yet?

I can empathize, James, I can no longer smell or taste flavors at all. The only things I can taste are from the sections on the tongue that let you taste salty, sweet, sour and bitter. So texture of food has become important.

F34R
08-19-2012, 01:01 AM
Do they expect this will improve over time or they don't know yet?

I can empathize, James, I can no longer smell or taste flavors at all. The only things I can taste are from the sections on the tongue that let you taste salty, sweet, sour and bitter. So texture of food has become important.

That is about where i am now. I can taste a few things, very briefly if that's the right word. I haven't been told, that I can remember, whether it will improve over time, etc. I've seen some comments about it taking a year for some to get it back, quicker for some, and never for some. So we'll see. This point, as well as every other "bad" thing, I always look up, thank God for letting me live.

Pastor Chris F
08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Praying Brother that smell and taste return and you enjoy full everyday life man. I can relate in a small way. When I had chemo, I could not eat much anything foe several days. The only that tasted good strangely was Frostys from Wendys. I know how frustration it is not to tastse. Praying !!!!

F34R
08-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Thank you all so much for your support. I might not know any of you outside of these forums, but I love you all dearly.

F34R
11-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Well, I'm officially retired. Today is the "end of my watch".... :(

It's such a sad day. I feel like a piece of my heart an soul has been taken... I've cried a lot today.

MattHughesRocks
11-27-2012, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry you had to retire before you were wanting to :cry: God Bless you and now you can get out there and do illegal things! :w00t:

Ok j/k about that last part :unsure-1:

Now on to career #2 :biggrin-1:

:wub:

Well, I'm officially retired. Today is the "end of my watch".... :(

It's such a sad day. I feel like a piece of my heart an soul has been taken... I've cried a lot today.

Bonnie
11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
James, I'm so sorry. :cry:

F34R
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the replies. I feel so lost right now. :(

MattHughesRocks
11-28-2012, 01:43 AM
:sad: Just give yourself time to grieve but just a little bit. Too much won't be good for you. THEN, you can start making plans for your new career.

:happy0159:

Thank you for the replies. I feel so lost right now. :(

VCURamFan
11-28-2012, 04:43 AM
James, I'm so sorry to hear this, man. I'll be praying for you. Let us know how we can be lifting you up.

Bonnie
11-28-2012, 07:54 AM
:sad: Just give yourself time to grieve but just a little bit. Too much won't be good for you. THEN, you can start making plans for your new career.

Exactly. You've gone through a lot these last several months, give yourself a little time to regroup. You're a survivor, James. :)

F34R
11-28-2012, 12:00 PM

My Psychologist... she said the exact same thing to me yesterday. I have been trying to do that very thing.. coping with it is a little harder than I thought it would be. Just knowing that I'm not in the position to help these people that need the help.. it's hurting.
James, I'm so sorry to hear this, man. I'll be praying for you. Let us know how we can be lifting you up.
You all are always uplifting, daily. The replies here have helped a lot. I thank you, and all, for all the support and advice. It's amazing to be treated with the respect that I have had from everyone here.
Exactly. You've gone through a lot these last several months, give yourself a little time to regroup. You're a survivor, James. :)

I'm trying. :( I am... Thank you so much for the shoulder I lay my head on.

F34R
04-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Just as an update:

I completed my second neuro-psych exam this past Tuesday. I'll get the results on the 16th. The Dr. did at least let me know that he looked over some of the results from the first few hours, and there is a noticeable improvement. The testing took a total of 10 hours.

MattHughesRocks
04-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Wow 10 hours is a long time of testing! Glad to know that there is still ongoing improvement. Keep us posted :happy0159:

F34R
04-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Well, today was a good day, and a bad day.

The Dr. said that he was shocked out how well my results were. There are dramatic improvements in several areas regarding my frontal lobe damaged. He said he was not expecting this kind of improvement.

Several aspects were rated at a 2nd percentile compared to others of the same age and education, without the injury I have. Now, that is up to 55th percentile. Another was listed as 5th percentile, and now at 77th percentile!!

That was the good part. The bad part was that he all but said it out right that there is permanent damage that keeps me from retaining certain types of memory.

I'll get the full report in a few days, or next week on Monday.

MattHughesRocks
04-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted James :cool:

TexasRN
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm so glad you had that much improvement! That's amazing. And if the doc was shocked at how much improvement you had, then maybe it means that your memory won't be as affected as he suspects. Thanks for updating. We may be scattered and not post as much as we all used to but we still care about each other.

~Amy

F34R
04-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm on my one year anniversary.

Bonnie
04-21-2013, 06:36 PM
You've overcome a lot this past year, James...may God continue to bless you with strength and courage. :)

F34R
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Good evening everyone.

An update:

I got to talk with the Dr. today about the full report from the exam I went through.

My attention, focus, and processing speed were where the most improvements were made. My short term memory was improved as well, but not nearly as much as the other areas. My working memory also showed improvement.

My long term memory has been listed as severely impaired. When we talked about it today, I had written notes down to ask some questions about the tests. I wanted to know which tests I didn't perform well with. I literally couldn't remember which tests I took. There were word lists that I could recall some of the words just after the list was read to me. However, I didn't remember more than a couple after a 15-30 min break. The same problem with a story that was read to me. I could repeat certain conditions in the story just after hearing it, but couldn't recall the story after a break. Visual recall, remembering pictures I had to draw, was the same as the other memory problems.

So that's where I am now. We will be focusing on more memory strategies to try and store information in long term memory, and improve the working and short term aspects as well.

MattHughesRocks
05-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Well, it seems that your improvements are constant so that's awesome. You've come a long way baby! :w00t:

VCURamFan
05-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Really stoked to hear about your improvements, man. Really smart of you to right down your questions to make sure you got the information that you wanted from the doc. I'll keep praying for you, bro!

F34R
05-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Thank ya'll for the support and prayers.

F34R
08-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Here's an update from my last medical review. I'm reading from the report. I've been learning that I have not been able to remember a lot of things. It's a little depressing because it is hard to grasp just how much stuff I'm not able to remember on a daily basis.

I felt everyone that has followed my progress and given me strength through support and prayers would like to see the results thus far.

Attention Processing: mildly impaired 8th %tile

Semantic Verbal Fluency: <1%ile

Phonemic verbal fluency: 19th %ile

Cognitive Flexibility: 55th %ile

basic numerical processing with components of visual scanning, visual attention and motor functions: moderately impaired 1%ile

General language abilities: moderately impaired 4th%ile

Picture naming 70th%ile

Visuospatial Processing (perceiving, analyzing and metally manipulating visual information such as patters, designs, and where things are in space. 55th%ile

Constructional abilities for visual stimuli (complex figures) high average 75th%ile

Memory: verbal and visual encoding into memory severely impaired at <1%ile

Immediate memory for rote verbal information also severely impaired at <1%ile

Immediate memory for verbal information placed in a context (i.e. stories) was severely impaired at <1%ile.

Recall and recognition tasks were delayed, all functions severely impaired <1%ile.

Cognition has likely reached maximum medical improvement.

F34R
04-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Just as an update...

I had another neuro exam this past Monday. I'm not sure how well I did. I will go for a medical review on May 1st.

MattHughesRocks
04-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Keep us posted when you get the results. I'm sure you did great! :punch: