PDA

View Full Version : Lashley/Guida *Spoiler*

atomdanger
03-22-2009, 06:34 AM
What a letdown.

nobody died... nobody even got KOed...

a decision... WTF Lashley....

Guida takes the fight against that over fed giant of a man on a week notice and it still goes to a decision....
Lashley has a lot of work to do

J.B.
03-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Wow...:rolleyes:

Why is Lashley getting so much flack? It's the man's SECOND fight, give him a break.

I don't remember reading or hearing any smack talk from Lashley claiming to be some super awesome MMA fighter in only his second fight. In fact, most of the time when MMA enthusiasts are discussing fighters they like to use the analogy that "size doesn't matter".

So basically, people (i.e fans) built up some hype in their own heads and then when Lashley did not "kill" Guida, he somehow is a HUGE let-down. The fact is LASHLEY STILL WON. Guida is a punk and he was lucky that it was not Lesnar that he disrespected, because Lesnar would maul that guy in the first round. What really happened was Guida took a fight against a guy with only ONE fight under his belt, he spewed verbal diarrhea to try and sound cool, and he still lost. Maybe Clay can land his brother a job nailing boards together, because obviously professional fighting is not his calling.

Highlight of the night was seeing Roy Jones back in action, scoring a fifth round KO in front of a screaming crowd in his hometown.

atomdanger
03-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Wow...:rolleyes:

Why is Lashley getting so much flack? It's the man's SECOND fight, give him a break.

I don't remember reading or hearing any smack talk from Lashley claiming to be some super awesome MMA fighter in only his second fight. In fact, most of the time when MMA enthusiasts are discussing fighters they like to use the analogy that "size doesn't matter".

So basically, people (i.e fans) built up some hype in their own heads and then when Lashley did not "kill" Guida, he somehow is a HUGE let-down. The fact is LASHLEY STILL WON. Guida is a punk and he was lucky that it was not Lesnar that he disrespected, because Lesnar would maul that guy in the first round. What really happened was Guida took a fight against a guy with only ONE fight under his belt, he spewed verbal diarrhea to try and sound cool, and he still lost. Maybe Clay can land his brother a job nailing boards together, because obviously professional fighting is not his calling.

Highlight of the night was seeing Roy Jones back in action, scoring a fifth round KO in front of a screaming crowd in his hometown.

Oh I am just giving him a little crap, he is just such a monster compared to guida.
It was more a joke than anything.

Are you his cousin or something? lol

Get over it, its the internet, we're here to discuss fights, and fighters.
Lashley cuts to make 265, he took on a guy he has 50+ plus pounds on and came in on a weeks notice, he should have been able to TKO the guy.

Jason 16
03-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh I am just giving him a little crap, he is just such a monster compared to guida.

Lashley cuts to make 265, he took on a guy he has 50+ plus pounds on and came in on a weeks notice, he should have been able to TKO the guy.

lashley just seemed way to tight in his stand up and he would be way better off in a cage

Chris F
03-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Bobby has a lot of work for sure. He missed many chances to pass guard and he almost got himself choked out. For his second fight he did real well and will go far if he works on the ground game. His Carido was tested as was his penitence. I would be interested to see him fight a real good ground guy to see if he gets caught like Brock did with Mir.

J.B.
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM

First off, I am WAY too white to be related to Lashley, even by marriage. I don't care about busting the guys balls a little bit, but how was I supposed to know you were only joking around?

Regardless, you are still suggesting that because Lashley is 50 pounds heavier he should have automatically been able to TKO Guida. Which is not always true.

As for getting over it because this is the internet and we are here to discuss fights and fighters....There was never anything for me to "get over". I did the exact same thing you did. Posted my opinion on message board. What I said still stands true, Lashley is still green, and Guida is a punk who will never make it as a pro fighter. Taking a fight on a weeks notice is not an excuse. If a fighter is not ready to fight, they should not take the fight.

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 02:52 AM
First off, I am WAY too white to be related to Lashley, even by marriage. I don't care about busting the guys balls a little bit, but how was I supposed to know you were only joking around?

Regardless, you are still suggesting that because Lashley is 50 pounds heavier he should have automatically been able to TKO Guida. Which is not always true.

Taking a fight on a weeks notice is not an excuse. If a fighter is not ready to fight, they should not take the fight.

haha I got a good laugh out of this line.
Too white to be related even by marriage?

and yes, it is true. If you have 50 lbs on a guy, and are a 3 time national college wrestling champion you should be able to TKO Jason Guida.

Also, taking a fight on a weeks notice DOES make a difference in a fight,
if you do not think taking fights on short notice makes a difference I would say you're not so bright.

Chris F
03-23-2009, 03:35 AM
[QUOTE=

and yes, it is true. If you have 50 lbs on a guy, and are a 3 time national college wrestling champion you should be able to TKO Jason Guida.
QUOTE]

What does wrestling have to do with punching power? There are a lot of wrestling champs out there that do not have ko power. And there are a lot of heavy guys who couldn't punch through warm butter. You are assuming way to much here. Bobby landed some blows and Guida took them. SO either Guida can take a punch or Bobby need a better boxing coach.

J.B.
03-23-2009, 04:31 AM
haha I got a good laugh out of this line.
Too white to be related even by marriage?

Also, taking a fight on a weeks notice DOES make a difference in a fight,
if you do not think taking fights on short notice makes a difference I would say you're not so bright.

"Should be able to" and "actually does" are two different things in life. That is part of what makes this sport exciting.

Taking a fight on a week's notice may make a difference, but so do a lot of other factors before a fight. I said it was NOT AN EXCUSE, big difference. Why are you making excuses for Guida? Are you his cousin or something? :wink:

The marriage line was a joke, obviously. :Whistle:

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 05:03 AM
"Should be able to" and "actually does" are two different things in life. That is part of what makes this sport exciting.

hahahaha thats why I was giving him crap

because he should have squished him like a bug, but actually didn't even hurt him

Josh
03-23-2009, 05:26 AM
The part that amazes me is that Lashley failed multiple takedown attepts. How can that be? I understand his body is pretty worn out but still it's hard to believe.

J.B.
03-23-2009, 06:05 AM
hahahaha thats why I was giving him crap

because he should have squished him like a bug, but actually didn't even hurt him

Again, it was the man's SECOND fight in pro MMA. Jason Guida has had 37 pro fights, even if he is a journeyman. Just like I said in my original post, you are making it out like Lashley is a big letdown, but the only reason you think that is because of a preconceived notion that Lashley should have walked right through Guida. That may be your opinion, but I disagree. Regardless of what excuses anybody tries to make, or what they think of Lashley, the bottom line is HE WON. A guy with 1 pro fight beat a guy with 36 pro fights. That is impressive to me, and I think Bobby will keep getting better. Every fight in the world is only one punch away from being over. So, it's not the first time a fight did not go the way people "thought" it was going to happen. I can understand criticism, Lashley definitely has some work to do. The only reason your original post really sparked a response was because I had already read some similar criticisms of Lashley around the web, and I just don't get it.

Granted, I understand your point and that you were largely poking fun, but I do think there is a bigger issue with fighters like Lesnar and Lashley. Because of their popularity from Pro-Wrestling, they are getting tossed directly into the spotlight. If Lesnar looses to Mir again, I am willing to bet that most of the MMA community will say "see I told you he was not that good", all without mentioning he has only had 4 pro fights. Those fighters know that they are going to get extra attention when they fight because of their celebrity status, but I think that we as fans should be realistic about what we expect from guys who don't even have 10 fights under their belt.

atomdanger
03-23-2009, 06:09 AM
you are making it out like Lashley is a big letdown, but the only reason you think that is because of a preconceived notion that Lashley should have walked right through Guida.

Granted, I understand your point and that you were largely poking fun, but I do think there is a bigger issue with fighters like Lesnar and Lashley. Because of their popularity from Pro-Wrestling, they are getting tossed directly into the spotlight.

it was a JOKE because of size, but yes he should have been able to beat him into a tko or a KO. He isn't joe off the street, he is a 3x champ wrestler and a complete giant.

And to the second part i quoted, that isn't a problem, they WANT that,
they want the spotlight, lesnar came to a UFC even and sought out the spotlight,
he didn't train for a few years and go to some small show.

J.B.
03-23-2009, 06:38 AM
it was a JOKE because of size, but yes he should have been able to beat him into a tko or a KO. He isn't joe off the street, he is a 3x champ wrestler and a complete giant.

And to the second part i quoted, that isn't a problem, they WANT that,
they want the spotlight, lesnar came to a UFC even and sought out the spotlight,
he didn't train for a few years and go to some small show.

Dude, size is one thing, but just because he has the size and he did not beat him into a TKO or knock him out cold does make Lashley a let-down or a joke. How many big name fighters have had fights that were boring, or not what we expected? Just about ALL of them that I can think of. That is how fighting goes.

Yes, they DO want the spotlight, just like every other aspiring fighter in the world. There is nothing wrong with them wanting the spotlight. Any fighter would take that kind offer if they had the chance. But if you are going to be critical as a fan, you should at least be impartial and look at it from a realistic point of view. This is a sport. Just like any other sport, even Pro-Wrestling. Being successful at any sport requires talent, time, training, and even bumps in the road. Being successful at one sport does not mean you can be as successful at another, even when the two sports have similarities.

It's his second fight and he won by UD. I see no let down. Just a fighter who is still up and coming and has some work to do.

rearnakedchoke
03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
not bad for his second fight ... considering his opponent has what??? close to 30 fights? (if i am way off, sorry, i am not up on Guida's record)

i don't think anyone thought he would be making Brock type strides, but more training and you never know ...

Llamafighter
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I was actually more disappointed in Guida and thought Lashley did a damn fine job. The one point during the second round where Lashley pinned Guida's hand behind hsi own head was sweet. He stand up (although a little tight) was quick and seemed pretty accurate. not bad for fight #2
here's part of rounds 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSv3vOAFlw4

Chuck
03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
I guess what frustrates me is when before the fight fans (nobody in particular) build him up as this beast that's going to blow Jason off the map. Then after the fight when it dosen't happen it's "well what do you expect it's his 2nd fight"... :unsure-1:

We saw that a lot with Brock too...

I guess that's the way of the internet............

J.B.
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I guess what frustrates me is when before the fight fans (nobody in particular) build him up as this beast that's going to blow Jason off the map. Then after the fight when it dosen't happen it's "well what do you expect it's his 2nd fight"... :unsure-1:

We saw that a lot with Brock too...

I guess that's the way of the internet............

For the record, I never did that, but I did expect Lashley to win, and I do think he has the potential to go far.

Chuck
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
For the record, I never did that, but I did expect Lashley to win, and I do think he has the potential to go far.

I know you didn't JB and I do agree with you. The guy is stacked with potential just like Brock. It's just when folks (maybe WWE fans?) start touting these guys as the next great thing then when they lose it's "Well what did you expect?" Stuff like that drives me nuts!

Jeff Crow
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I still believe he is a beast and will be very good. I was pretty disappointed in his fight as he could have done much better and at some point finished Guida. He just didn't have a good game plan or didn't use it due to letting Guida get into his head before the fight. He appeared to come out and just try and man handle Guida from the get go. He tried to hard for those takedowns too early and expended a lot of energy. I think he should have tried to keep it standing longer and setting them up.

I think you will see a much more focused and better fighter in his next fight.

I still however don't think he is near as good as Brock right now and probably never will be. Brock seems to have picked up things much quicker. His stand-up looks better than Lashleys. At least I think his technique looks better.

J.B.
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I know you didn't JB and I do agree with you. The guy is stacked with potential just like Brock. It's just when folks (maybe WWE fans?) start touting these guys as the next great thing then when they lose it's "Well what did you expect?" Stuff like that drives me nuts!

I agree with you completely, the door definitely swings both ways. Honestly there are just as many MMA fans who are bashing the guy for being in the WWE as their are WWE fans over-hyping the guy. Same goes for Lesnar. All of it is annoying on both ends.

Personally, as a life long fan of pro-wrestling, I truly want to see those guys succeed, but at the same time I understand that they need time to gain some real training and experience in this sport. When people just try and bash guys for being in pro-wrestling and call it "fake", that irritates me. In my opinion, the top guys in WWE have to work much harder all year long then the top guys in the UFC. No matter what people think of WWE, nobody can deny that it takes a real tough SOB mentally and physically to live up to the demands of popularity in WWE. On the road 40 plus weeks out of the year, getting beat up and hurt but still having to go out and do it again next week, sometimes again in the same week. That's nuts. The outcomes may be rigged, but performing on that level is not for the weak, that mat is not as forgiving as some tend to believe.

I know you did not say anything about pro-wrestlers, at least not that I recall, I was just sounding off on the topic.

Chris F
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I am a WWE fan and I realized there was a chance he would get caught just like Brock. He has potential sure enough, but a lot of work if he wants to be great. He gassed which he should not have. He boxing was off balance almost WWE like (wild and flaring) He did land some good shots. I like Bobby, but I think Brock did a better job training after losing to Mir. Maybe Bobby needs to skips the cans and loose to grow better.

J.B.
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Maybe Bobby needs to skips the cans and loose to grow better.

I can agree with that :)

pistol-pete
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I still believe he is a beast and will be very good. I was pretty disappointed in his fight as he could have done much better and at some point finished Guida. He just didn't have a good game plan or didn't use it due to letting Guida get into his head before the fight. He appeared to come out and just try and man handle Guida from the get go. He tried to hard for those takedowns too early and expended a lot of energy. I think he should have tried to keep it standing longer and setting them up.

I think you will see a much more focused and better fighter in his next fight.

I still however don't think he is near as good as Brock right now and probably never will be. Brock seems to have picked up things much quicker. His stand-up looks better than Lashleys. At least I think his technique looks better.

Lashely is athletic, but what he doesn't have that Brock has is the ridiculous size and strength and to go along with the speed of a man half his size. I also think that Brock might have been training a lot longer than Lashely for MMA. I am not sure though.

I also think that guys like Lashely and Lesnar are built for the cage. It is hard to shoot on a guy drive him into the ropes and score the takedown, while getting a guy pushed up against the fence and then using their strength to lift them, and take them down to the mat would be better suited for their styles.

Jason 16
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I was actually more disappointed in Guida and thought Lashley did a damn fine job. The one point during the second round where Lashley pinned Guida's hand behind hsi own head was sweet. He stand up (although a little tight) was quick and seemed pretty accurate. not bad for fight #2here's part of rounds 1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSv3vOAFlw4

agree it just seems that he just need more time sparring till he gets it in his head that he can let his hands go and not be overly worryed about getting hit

Jason 16
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Lashely is athletic, but what he doesn't have that Brock has is the ridiculous size and strength and to go along with the speed of a man half his size. I also think that Brock might have been training a lot longer than Lashely for MMA. I am not sure though.

I also think that guys like Lashely and Lesnar are built for the cage. It is hard to shoot on a guy drive him into the ropes and score the takedown, while getting a guy pushed up against the fence and then using their strength to lift them, and take them down to the mat would be better suited for their styles.

umm yea and the fact that guida had his arms around the ropes for a total of what like 3 mins trying to stall dint realy help bobby put on a good show for us.

would any one else like him fight big foot silva. that could be a big win for him or a first loss that would only get him better ether way he would just get better from it

atomdanger
03-26-2009, 01:27 AM
http://mmamania.com/2009/03/25/ufc-quick-quote-bobby-lashley-wants-to-prove-he-belongs-in-the-ufc/

“I’ve had dialogue with (the UFC) over the past few days. They know where my mind frame is. I hold the UFC in high regard and I believe the UFC is a place where you have to be at a certain level before you get there. I want to be a serious contender for a title before I go in there. When I get to the UFC, I want people to say ‘Bobby is good enough to go for the title.’ I would like to be holding a 5-0 or 6-0 record, somewhere around there before going into the UFC. If I can take what I do in practice and put that into a match — then you’ll see a whole different Bobby than what you saw the other day.”

I knew he deserved a little crap talk,
the guy has had dialogue with the ufc for some time?
eep....

J.B.
03-26-2009, 03:03 AM
I knew he deserved a little crap talk,
the guy has had dialogue with the ufc for some time?
eep....

:huh:

Why should you hate on him for talking to the UFC?

atomdanger
03-26-2009, 03:18 AM
:huh:

Why should you hate on him for talking to the UFC?

Oh I don't hate him, I just give him crap.

and because he wants to jump into the UFC, because he thinks at 5 or 6 fights he is ready.

Therefore I can pick on him for not being able to finish Guida who took the fight on a weeks notice lol

J.B.
03-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Oh I don't hate him, I just give him crap.

and because he wants to jump into the UFC, because he thinks at 5 or 6 fights he is ready.

Therefore I can pick on him for not being able to finish Guida who took the fight on a weeks notice lol

No, you still sound like a hater.

Lots of guys have come into the UFC with only a few fights.

atomdanger
03-26-2009, 04:14 AM
No, you still sound like a hater.

Lots of guys have come into the UFC with only a few fights.

Hmmm. Im not a hater, I openly admit when I am a hater (GSP, Faber, etc.. lol)

I think most of the guys coming in with only a few fights have a lot of amature fights, and years of training behind them.

Chris Leben had his first ufc fight when he had like 10 or 11 fights,
but counting non sanctioned ameture fights, he had like 27.

So... the number Sherdog lists can be very deceiving.

J.B.
03-26-2009, 04:26 AM
Still, there are plenty of guys who get a shot with very little experience on TUF.

Besides, it's not as if the UFC would not do it just to make the money, and who can blame them? They are calling Lesnar the HW Champ and he only has 4 fights.

Chuck
03-26-2009, 04:42 AM
While I certainly wasn't impressed by Lashley's performance I do respect him for wanting to wait until he has more fights before he jumps to the UFC.

With his WWE fame and potential I'm sure he could get in sooner then 6 fights. Take Brock for example............:huh:

atomdanger
03-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Anybody know how long Lashley has been training?