PDA

View Full Version : They're letting him Fight?

Jason 16
03-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Kyle maynard
http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2009/03/20/congenital-amputee-kyle-maynard-make-mma-debut

I just hope he doesnt get hurt.

MattHughesRocks
03-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Well, it is in Alabama :blink:

:w00t:

:duck:

atomdanger
03-21-2009, 07:39 AM
This is completely unsafe.

Without arms or legs he CANNOT defend himself.

Neezar
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, they won't be winning by armbar.:laugh:

And Michelle, that is in Auburn. We (Alabama) don't claim Auburn.

rearnakedchoke
03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
well, he can always avoid knees to the head, cuz he will always be considered a ground opponent ... so that is a disadvantage to his opps .... i don't think it is fair, but he could rush in get a quick takedown and drop elbows on him

Bonnie
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
He won't know if he doesn't try.

Let's see what happens. :ninja:

Preach
03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
what weight are they fighting at seriously? I mean without arms or legs he has to be light

Moose
03-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Hopefully they'll tape a couple shivs to his stubs to help give back the competitive advantage.

Jason 16
03-21-2009, 04:29 PM
what weight are they fighting at seriously? I mean without arms or legs he has to be light

125 he made it to states in wrestling

Jason 16
03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
this is him at naga http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS227US227&q=kyle%20maynard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS227US227&q=kyle%20maynard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS227US227&q=kyle%20maynard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv#

in the last video he is doing peckdeck with 3 45s in each stub

Bonnie
03-21-2009, 04:44 PM
125 he made it to states in wrestling

I googled him and they said he graduated high school with 35 wins and 16 losses and a 3.7 GPA.

I'm glad he hasn't let the physical limits of his limbs put "limitations" on trying things that would be challenging for a fully-limbed person.

He might not be able to compete in mma like he did with wrestling, but he's already a winner in my book. :ninja:

MattHughesRocks
03-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Good for you guys! :w00t:

:laugh:

Well, they won't be winning by armbar.:laugh:

And Michelle, that is in Auburn. We (Alabama) don't claim Auburn.

Chuck
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I think it's unsafe for him and unfair for those fighting against him....

It's a bad idea........

Bonnie
03-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I think it's unsafe for him and unfair for those fighting against him....

It's a bad idea........

I want him to have the chance to at least try. I don't think it's realistic either as far as mma, but if someone is willing to get in there with him and the ref is extra diligent, then I say let him do it (at least this one time).

Neezar
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Would you ever be allowed to kick him? :unsure-1:

Tyburn
03-22-2009, 06:59 PM
:blink:

ive heard of one armed fighters...but...this guy is like...torso and head...mindue...if he walks on those nubs and he uses those nubs to move things about...they will be rock solid I expect...dont underestimate what one of those could do if he could jump at you...

It depends on how manouverable he is...but supposing he could launch himself at you and then use his arm nubs to club you?? I'd say it totally depend on his strength and flexibility...if he has amazing strength but also agility...he might be a nightmare to fight...

and peeps are right...how does a normal fighter control him? pulling guard without him able to shimmy out will be hard...not able to use bars on arms or legs...and if your planning a choke...remember..you cant use hooks coz the guy has no legs...so stopping him from thrashing to break the hold will be...difficult.

having said that...he has no arms or legs... :unsure-1:

County Mike
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.blackhawkmartialarts.com/images/BHBOBXLP.jpg

He's undefeated in our gym. He NEVER taps.

Tyburn
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM

:laugh: mike!!! :laugh:

J.B.
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Exactly what I was thinking! :unsure-1:

Not to sound mean, but unless they get another guy with no arm and legs it's just silly. One good kick and that guy is done.

I agree with Chuck, not fair to anybody involved and just a bad idea overall.

ufcfan2
03-23-2009, 06:14 PM

:rolleyes:

Tyburn
03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
:rolleyes:

Miss Foxy
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
He won't know if he doesn't try.

Let's see what happens. :ninja:
I love how you think Bonnie. I am 1/2 and 1/2 on this. I feel what a great spirit and heart he has to want to fight, and I adore that he loves the sport to that degree. However my nurturing side feels scared what if he gets hurt or feels embarrassed if defeated. I also feel bad for whoever is fighting him. I know I would feel like a bully if it were me.. Maybe I am just over analyzing this one, but its a tricky moral one in my eyes...:scared0011:

Bonnie
03-23-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't know how they are going to pick the guy to fight him (if they haven't already), but maybe his opponent is going to be a grappler/wrestler more than a standup striker. I watched one of his wrestling videos and he seemed to hold his own. Have y'all really looked at his head? Looks like he could take some shots.

I don't really think this is something he should pursue--competitive/pro mma, unless they start an mma organization with people who are in similar physical situations such as his.

Fighting a fully-limbed person in mma given the striking, kicks, etc... is just not realistic. I do agree with Chuck that it wouldn't be fair to his competitors and I agree with everyone who said this could be very dangerous for him. But I'm not opposed to him getting this one fight, like I said, if another fighter is willing and they are super diligent in refereeing.

This way he gets to try it and test himself and see for himself that it's not realistic for him to fight against a fully-limbed person in mma. Which, might in turn, get him thinking about starting mixed martial arts fighting for people with limited limbs. It's not impossible; look at everything he's accomplished so far with the curve ball life threw him. :wink:

I don't want to see him get hurt, but I say, give him this one chance. :ninja:

Chris F
03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
What will we all say when he goes out there and chokes a man out? He is strong and I bet his stubbs have more power then alot of men. So I would not be surprised to see him hold his own. But I agree about the rule issue. It is not fair.

CAVEMAN
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
It's great that he has achieved so much in th past, but competing in MMA.....that's just crazy!

J.B.
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM

If Obama can get away with comaparing his bowling game to the Special Olympics, then I do not feel ashamed for laughing at that joke.

Miss Foxy
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM

If Obama can get away with comaparing his bowling game to the Special Olympics, then I do not feel ashamed for laughing at that joke. 2 wrongs never make a right, but I hear ya..

Chuck
03-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm trying to think of a name for this guy....

Mat?
Bob?
Skip?
Art?

I just can't come up with one!!!! :D

County Mike
03-23-2009, 09:49 PM
It's Torso Bob.

Chuck
03-23-2009, 09:52 PM
It's Torso Bob.
I think you missed the joke... :unsure-1:

County Mike
03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I know the "no arms and no legs" joke. Just wanted to clarify at the same time. There are a bunch of those jokes.

Maybe we should tell all the ones we know.

Chuck
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I know the "no arms and no legs" joke. Just wanted to clarify at the same time. There are a bunch of those jokes.

Maybe we should tell all the ones we know.

Whew.... thought you were slipping :)

Llamafighter
03-23-2009, 10:21 PM
grappling this guy is tough because you can't trap hi arms or legs. How does he do takedowns? Will his fights be started on the ground. I jsut don't see how he can legitimately fight a fellow MMA fighter with all his limbs. More power to him for going for it tho!

Jason 16
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
grappling this guy is tough because you can't trap hi arms or legs. How does he do takedowns? Will his fights be started on the ground. I jsut don't see how he can legitimately fight a fellow MMA fighter with all his limbs. More power to him for going for it tho!
UMM watch the damm links thats what there for!:tongue0011:
since you dint read the thread he is 36 and 5 his Sr year made it to states in pa and I think won in naga (the BJJ tourny)