PDA

View Full Version : What I learned from Affliction 2

atomdanger
01-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Some things that really solidified my prior opinions are...

1. Matt Lindland is not a top 185lb fighter.
In his last 2 fights a guy who was 8 - 3 took him to decision, and made him look bad, and a guy who hasn't been around for a while and isn't ranked KOed the life out of him.

I am sorry Lindland fans, but he just isn't that good, he has never really beaten anybody.

2. Josh Barnett is not a top 5 HW.
He hasn't beaten a top 10 HW in over 2 years, a mostly unknown fighter neutralized his ground game for almost 3 rounds tonight. He looks out of shape, and not very dangerous. Yet for some reason people rank him top 3 or 4 constantly.

3. Fedor is unbeatable right now.
I don't see any other threats at HW right now, and don't say Brock Lesnar.

4. Although Crazy, Sobral is an animal.

5. KIRIL SIDELNIKOV is the new Cabbage, wtf is with this guys chin?

Llamafighter
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM

In his last 2 fights a guy who was 8 - 3 took him to decision, and made him look bad, and a guy who hasn't been around for a while and isn't ranked KOed the life out of him.

I am sorry Lindland fans, but he just isn't that good, he has never really beaten anybody.

He hasn't beaten a top 10 HW in over 2 years, a mostly unknown fighter neutralized his ground game for almost 3 rounds tonight. He looks out of shape, and not very dangerous. Yet for some reason people rank him top 3 or 4 constantly.

6. Tito has no business commentating or interviewing fighters in the ring. Ex: "a beautiful Su-Flay". arrrgh!

7. Chuck Zito and Wolfman Jack are idiots. That backstage crap was like watching two monkeys perform open heart surgery.

8. It's much better without the live music!

9. McArthy is the best ref in MMA! finally someone restarted the ground action in the middle of the ring!

10. I like the cage better

Josh
01-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeah I would say he may be working his way back into the top ten.

MMeh
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Is Fedor ever going to lose (and I mean truly be beaten - no cut stoppages)? The guy is incredible, I had a few questions as to how he'd do against skilled, big HWs (and I still think large guys with wrestling skills like Barnett/Lesnar could give him trouble) but it's pretty apparent stirking with this guy is not an option. If he ever gets beat, I see it being by lnp from a much larger fighter (see above) who can maintain position.

Llamafighter
01-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Is Fedor ever going to lose (and I mean truly be beaten - no cut stoppages)? The guy is incredible, I had a few questions as to how he'd do against skilled, big HWs (and I still think large guys with wrestling skills like Barnett/Lesnar could give him trouble) but it's pretty apparent stirking with this guy is not an option. If he ever gets beat, I see it being by lnp from a much larger fighter (see above) who can maintain position.

I don't think anyone can lay and pray against him because he's constantly searching for subs.

Spiritwalker
01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Jimmy Smith from Fight Quest was a good commentator, very surprised!
(btw, did you know he beat down (broke his ankle??) Jason Chambers from Human Weapon?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whf2SRN_cRw)

Tito Ortiz fights as well as he comments... Nuff Said..

I wonder if Dana will be happy with Big Nog wearing an Affliction T-Shirt

Fedor destroyed.. in mid air.. one of my favorite fighters.. Hats off to The King of the HWs!! (PM me my sig....:( )

But Andrie was looking good and was really taking it to him...

Josh looked good...

Renato did exactly what I thought he would.. I hope Sokoudjou will be back.. (who knew he really had a first name:) )

Cage vs Ring.... I like both.. but the cage is still my favorite..

Big John is still the man!

I would like to see the fighter intros.. (the line up and introductions) done the same in UFC. Pride/Dream always did it.. just a nice touch.

I hate the walk through the crowd.. bring back the raised walk way.

Josh
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
He is pretty experienced at beating larger fighters. He has beaten Nog badly a couple times.

atomdanger
01-25-2009, 11:11 PM
6. Tito has no business commentating or interviewing fighters in the ring. Ex: "a beautiful Su-Flay". arrrgh!

7. Chuck Zito and Wolfman Jack are idiots. That backstage crap was like watching two monkeys perform open heart surgery.

8. It's much better without the live music!

9. McArthy is the best ref in MMA! finally someone restarted the ground action in the middle of the ring!

10. I like the cage better

LMAO
on bloodyelbow.com they listed one of their favorite fights of the night as
Tito Ortiz vs. speaking English

Tyburn
01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
I really dislike Sobral...but that choke was like...SO kewl :laugh:

VCURamFan
01-26-2009, 04:04 AM
LMAO
Tito Ortiz vs. speaking Englishhttp://djforum.free.fr/smileysmileysmiley/v2/surprises/surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

County Mike
01-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I really liked the Affliction promotion. Just wish they used a cage instead of that incredibly large, rectangular ring.

billwilliams70
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I would love to see Arlovsky and Fedor fight again.....that much I know.

Later.

Llamafighter
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
LMAO
Tito Ortiz vs. speaking English

HAHAHAHA!
I felt bad for the winners of the fights because Tito was a boo magnet. I hope the fighters knew that the boos weren't for them. LOL!

KevinD
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Is Fedor beatable? Absolutely. Arlovski was doing well, hurt Fedor a little, and then decides to go for the gusto and throw a flying knee. What an idiot.

If Arlovski would have taken a page out of Paul Buenatilo (sp) playbook, kept the fight standing in the middle of the ring and just picked Fedor apart like till he could land a big right, he would have stood a good chance at a win. I don't know why he didn't try to drag this fight into the later rounds. His striking skills wer good enough to keep Fedor at bay.

It was a disappointing fight for me to watch because I think Arlovski could have done much better, if it weren't for that flying knee attempt. sheesh.

KevinD
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I really liked the Affliction promotion. Just wish they used a cage instead of that incredibly large, rectangular ring.

I really have to disagree with your production sentiments. I thought they made Affliction look very amateurish and actually made the UFC look very polished and professional.

What in the world were they thinking having Chuck Zito hold a mike and talking? He was the only guy worse than Tito who could barely make a sentence. I thought it was brutal.

CAVEMAN
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Fedor proved again why he is the best HW! And I bet Dana was absolutely furious that Fedor has now made quick work of 2 former UFC champs!!!

County Mike
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I really have to disagree with your production sentiments. I thought they made Affliction look very amateurish and actually made the UFC look very polished and professional.

What in the world were they thinking having Chuck Zito hold a mike and talking? He was the only guy worse than Tito who could barely make a sentence. I thought it was brutal.

Sorry, I actually meant the level of fights, fighters, etc. I didn't really pay much attention to the sideshows (interviews, etc.).

warriorlion
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I really dislike Sobral...but that choke was like...SO kewl :laugh:

it was a perfectly executed Brabo/D'Arce choke, and NOT an anacoda choke the commentators called it. There is a fair difference between the way they work

warriorlion
01-26-2009, 05:33 PM
I also think that AA has what it takes to beat Fedor. He was winning the stand up right before his attemp at the showboating flying knee.

Think AA has the ability to surprise Fedor in a rematch providing that he can stick to the quick boxing and stay away from the spectacular

Llamafighter
01-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I also think that AA has what it takes to beat Fedor. He was winning the stand up right before his attemp at the showboating flying knee.

Think AA has the ability to surprise Fedor in a rematch providing that he can stick to the quick boxing and stay away from the spectacular

I agree that AA was doing a pretty good job, but I don't think he was hurting Fedor. fedor was jsut looking for the opening and look what happened when he found it. I think Fedor reacted more to the hands dropping than the flying knee attempt. I jsut rewatched it and he hits AA before he even leaves the ground. perfectly placed punch on the chin.

atomdanger
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM

If he has what it takes to or not is irrelevant.
Any top 5 HW has what it takes to do it, its doing it thats the hard part.

There is a difference between owning the skills, and being able to execute those skills on Fedor.

CAVEMAN
01-26-2009, 09:11 PM
If he has what it takes to or not is irrelevant.
Any top 5 HW has what it takes to do it, its doing it thats the hard part.

There is a difference between owning the skills, and being able to execute those skills on Fedor.

:sign0011: Well said! Fedor executed that punch with precision! Plus, did you see that follow up left? Either way, AA was toast!

atomdanger
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
:sign0011: Well said! Fedor executed that punch with precision! Plus, did you see that follow up left? Either way, AA was toast!

Yeah, Fedor said afterwords that he knew AA dropped his left, and it was just a matter of time,
Fedor was going for that big right a few times.

If you re watch the fight, every combo AA threw he leaves his left down for way too long.

Hughes_GOAT
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
if anything, Fedor will dispatch him quicker. he studied Arlovski without knowing what he was like live. now he's faced him, he can picture what needs to be done in preparing if they fight a second time.

hizo64
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
HAHAHAHA!
I felt bad for the winners of the fights because Tito was a boo magnet. I hope the fighters knew that the boos weren't for them. LOL!

Dude I gotta tell you that you have one of the best most epic sigs ever!! :sign0011: And Tito overrates himself SOOO bad, I figured he'd learn from the spanking Couture gave him in the octagon.

Crisco
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Fedor is the man

EHLERZ5
01-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Fedor is a monster, but I replayed that KO punch a bunch of times in super slo-mo.... I just don't see where it hit AA clean..... It looks more like he just hit and pushed.... But AA went down like a wet noodle though....

Can you see AA being ko'ed by that kind of punch?

Josh
01-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Fedor is a monster, but I replayed that KO punch a bunch of times in super slo-mo.... I just don't see where it hit AA clean..... It looks more like he just hit and pushed.... But AA went down like a wet noodle though....

Um...yes. Go watch his second fight with Sylvia again. Tim gave him a little love tap and he dropped.

hizo64
01-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Ya for sure man, if you go to this page

http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/event/10/Pictures-Day-of-Reckoning-15942/3

it shows how a punch like that can knock you out! :punch: :laugh: lol

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 03:28 PM

That's why they call it "the button" because you just have to tap it and they're out.
I won't even mention the leg that Fedor took to the tenders in order to deliver that shot:)
That followup left hook was reminiscent of the followup hook that Rashad threw after hitting Chuck. It's jsut instinctual.
I think backing into the corner was Fedor's way of giving AA false security to drop that left. Fedor started throwing before AA got hit foot up.

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Dude I gotta tell you that you have one of the best most epic sigs ever!! :sign0011: And Tito overrates himself SOOO bad, I figured he'd learn from the spanking Couture gave him in the octagon.

Thanks for the kudos, man. I think I'm going to start customizing all of my sigs! It's a lot of fun. here's hoping that BJ gives me a good pic either way this weekend.
Or Lyoto...