PDA

View Full Version : Cage fights reportedly staged at Dallas high school

MattHughesRocks
03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
DALLAS —The Dallas school system was rocked by allegations Thursday that staff members at an inner-city high school made students settle their differences by fighting bare-knuckle brawls inside a steel cage.

The principal and other employees at South Oak Cliff High knew about the cage fights and allowed the practice to continue, according to a 2008 report by school system investigators.

"More than anything, I'm in shock and disbelief — shocked that this could ever occur and shocked that it would be condoned by a professional administrator," said Jerome Garza, a member of the Dallas school board.

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6321034.html

I say the staff members have to go sit in the corner for this one :w00t:

Miss Foxy
03-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Those that know DFW ( Dallas-Ft Worth) know already that Oak Cliff whether its North, South, East, West is straight ghetto!! Rather than have police they need the National Guard in that area! Just excuses for them to act like animals.....

matthughesfan21
03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Those that know DFW ( Dallas-Ft Worth) know already that Oak Cliff whether its North, South, East, West is straight ghetto!! Rather than have police they need the National Guard in that area! Just excuses for them to act like animals.....better than have them settle it with fists rather than guns, still don't agree with the policy, but it could possibly be better than doing nothing at all, because it would get even more violent at that point

Crisco
03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
NEVER BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note I agree with this.

If there is a dispute that can't be talked out let the nino's work out their wiggles to quote Nacho.

This will go back to the other thread with many different points of view. I'm 100% in favor of fist fights with two willing opponents.

Miss Foxy
03-20-2009, 05:57 PM
NEVER BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note I agree with this.

If there is a dispute that can't be talked out let the nino's work out their wiggles to quote Nacho.

This will go back to the other thread with many different points of view. I'm 100% in favor of fist fights with two willing opponents. True to an extent the only problem is most of the time the punk that gets his rear end kicked has to prove something and comes back with a knife or gun or some form of retaliation.

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
True to an extent the only problem is most of the time the punk that gets his rear end kicked has to prove something and comes back with a knife or gun or some form of retaliation.

That's what happens on the street.

It happens in front of a huge crowd and dude gets embarrased.

It sounds like this was pretty much a private altercation minus a staff member.

Best way to do it. If their going to fight atleast make it a fair fight and out of the way so they can work it out.

Miss Foxy
03-20-2009, 06:05 PM
That's what happens on the street.

It happens in front of a huge crowd and dude gets embarrased.

It sounds like this was pretty much a private altercation minus a staff member.

Best way to do it. If their going to fight atleast make it a fair fight and out of the way so they can work it out.
True to an extent, however the parents should have been informed. How bout you have a kid that has some medical condition and doesnt want to back down and ends up dead or something crazy like that. We all have our beliefs, however those administrators are idiots to think they can bypass the parents. I would be mad if that was my child, but then again in that community who knows its kill or be killed pretty much....:frantics:

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:11 PM
True to an extent, however the parents should have been informed. How bout you have a kid that has some medical condition and doesnt want to back down and ends up dead or something crazy like that. We all have our beliefs, however those administrators are idiots to think they can bypass the parents. I would be mad if that was my child, but then again in that community who knows its kill or be killed pretty much....:frantics:

I'd want my son to step up if he was willing. Fighting for whats right and true and just and whats honorable is one of the main things I'll teach him when he is born.

It all boils down to the same thing... Guys would have fought on the street atleast with the teacher there to stop it he can call an ambulance.

Matter of perspective and all that.

To quote Emilio Estevez in outsiders I believe it was "Ain't no one ever been hurt in no skin fight"

Moose
03-20-2009, 06:12 PM
My dad told me about waiting 24 hours and then having a teacher slap some boxing gloves on them, but that was the 60's and a country school. If this is true someone needs a jail sentence.

Miss Foxy
03-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd want my son to step up if he was willing. Fighting for whats right and true and just and whats honorable is one of the main things I'll teach him when he is born.

It all boils down to the same thing... Guys would have fought on the street atleast with the teacher there to stop it he can call an ambulance.

Matter of perspective and all that.

To quote Emilio Estevez in outsiders I believe it was "Ain't no one ever been hurt in no skin fight"
Don't get me wrong I never turn down a fight and yes this girl wants her kids to be the same way in a respectful manner, however who in the world are the administrators to decide that? :Whistle:

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Don't get me wrong I never turn down a fight and yes this girl wants her kids to be the same way in a respectful manner, however who in the world are the administrators to decide that? :Whistle:

Doesn't bother me one bit. If my boy wants to fight and the other boy does too and the teacher is ready to let it happen then more power to him. I respect the teachers a lot at that school for being realists and having foresight despite the expected norms of society.

I'm old school and should have been born in the 50's I think.

Moose
03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Doesn't bother me one bit. If my boy wants to fight and the other boy does too and the teacher is ready to let it happen then more power to him. I respect the teachers a lot at that school for being realists and having foresight despite the expected norms of society.

I'm old school and should have been born in the 50's I think.

If you were born in the 50's you would be my father's age. He grew up in the 60's and 70's, and saw Title IX and the Civil Rights Act get passed into law. Perhaps you meant you were born the teens or 20's.

Oh. And realists. Now in the US if you get into a non-sanctioned fist fight you'll get arrested for battery. That's the reality. Aren't schools supposed to prepare young adults for life?

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:29 PM
If you were born in the 50's you would be my father's age. He grew up in the 60's and 70's, and saw Title IX and the Civil Rights Act get passed into law. Perhaps you meant you were born the teens or 20's.

Oh. And realists. Now in the US if you get into a non-sanctioned fist fight you'll get arrested for battery. That's the reality. Aren't schools supposed to prepare young adults for life?

Life sucks.

In the real world honor should still exist.

This country has become so sissified it's not even a joke anymore.

By realists I ment they know the kids are going to fight anyway they might aswell do their best to make it safer.

atomdanger
03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
LMAO

WTF, this leaves me with nothing but questions.

1. Where did a school get a cage?
2. How did none of the parents hear about this?
3. If they did, why didn't they do something about it then?

Moose
03-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Life sucks.

In the real world honor should still exist.

This country has become so sissified it's not even a joke anymore.

By realists I ment they know the kids are going to fight anyway they might aswell do their best to make it safer.

1. Life does suck, especially when you lack basic anger management skills.

2. I agree, honor should exist. Why isn't being peaceful considered honorable?

3. This country is more violent then it ever has been. Violence and toughness DO NOT go hand-in-hand.

4. That's a tough argument. I had friend's parents in high school let us booze at their house. Why? Because we were bound to do it anyway. What's the problem in this? Maybe some of us only drank because we had a place to do it without getting caught.

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
1. Life does suck, especially when you lack basic anger management skills.

2. I agree, honor should exist. Why isn't being peaceful considered honorable?

3. This country is more violent then it ever has been. Violence and toughness DO NOT go hand-in-hand.

4. That's a tough argument. I had friend's parents in high school let us booze at their house. Why? Because we were bound to do it anyway. What's the problem in this? Maybe some of us only drank because we had a place to do it without getting caught.

You have your view and I have mine.

And sure you can be honorable and peaceful but when someone offends your honor it's your right to get it back.

Getting punched in the face a couple times builds character.

Anger doesn't play a role in a fight for me. I'm cool headed and keep my goals in mind. I don't want to hurt you I just want to win.

Moose
03-20-2009, 06:42 PM
You have your view and I have mine.

And sure you can be honorable and peaceful but when someone offends your honor it's your right to get it back.

Getting punched in the face a couple times builds character.

Anger doesn't play a role in a fight for me. I'm cool headed and keep my goals in mind. I don't want to hurt you I just want to win.

...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

MattHughesRocks
03-20-2009, 06:46 PM
It's just an accident waiting for tax payers to have to pay for.Someone gets hurt, a parents sues...it's going to happen...

Crisco
03-20-2009, 06:57 PM
It's just an accident waiting for tax payers to have to pay for.Someone gets hurt, a parents sues...it's going to happen...

Agreed.

So lets make it legal...

MattHughesRocks
03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
With minors, it'll never happen.That would be worse then cock fighting having children doing it.And anyone under 18 is a child ( a lot of people a lot older act like children I know:laugh: )

Agreed.

So lets make it legal...

Crisco
03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
With minors, it'll never happen.That would be worse then cock fighting having children doing it.And anyone under 18 is a child ( a lot of people a lot older act like children I know:laugh: )

It should happen =)

Everyone who lives in this country should have to take an ass beating atleast once.

Chuck
03-20-2009, 08:55 PM

Then what makes you fight?:huh:

I find it hard to believe anger isn't part of the equation...

Bonnie
03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
It should happen =)

Everyone who lives in this country should have to take an ass beating atleast once.

:huh:

I don't want to take an @$$ beating, but you can take one for me, Crisco, I don't mind. :w00t:

:tongue0011:

Crisco
03-20-2009, 09:13 PM
:huh:

I don't want to take an @$$ beating, but you can take one for me, Crisco, I don't mind. :w00t:

:tongue0011:

Haha sure Bonnie =) Anything for you :cool:

Crisco
03-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Then what makes you fight?:huh:

I find it hard to believe anger isn't part of the equation...

Competitive spirit? I'm not an angry dude by nature.

You don't have to be angry to fight... When you practice martial arts you almost learn to shut off anger...

I remember how big of a deal a lot of people think a fist fight is but hey who am I to tell you how to feel?

I won't comment further on the subject because niether of us will budge.

County Mike
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Give them a padded floor, gloves and a referee. I'd be cool with it.