PDA

View Full Version : Fair or Foul: Sheila Gaff Knocks Out Jennifer Maia in 10 Seconds

VCURamFan
03-20-2012, 12:11 PM
From MMAFighting.com:

Mar 18, 2012 - Sheila Gaff and Jennifer Maia met on Friday at Cage Warriors Fight Night 4 to kick off the promotion's four-woman, 125-pound tournament. What ensued was ten seconds of furious stand-up action, followed by one of the more vicious KO's in recent women's MMA history.

For the 22-year-old Gaff, the win shoots her name into the tournament finals. However, much debate has arisen regarding the nature of the knockout. Instead of touching gloves, Gaff mobbed Maia with a flurry of punches and knees. While Maia was able to regroup during the surprising exchange, the shots that started the beginning of the end were still relatively unexpected.

So what do you think, readers? Should Maia have been protecting herself at all times? Was Gaff's knockout fair or foul? Check out the damage after the jump and let us know what you think in the comments below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gY3EaLP2E-o

OK, my two cents: cheap shot, but not illegal. Those weren't the punches that hurt her. Gaff may be about as classless as it comes, but she's not a cheater.

flo
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
From MMAFighting.com:

OK, my two cents: cheap shot, but not illegal. Those weren't the punches that hurt her. Gaff may be about as classless as it comes, but she's not a cheater.

Cheap shot for sure. Dang. I think what you said is right on the money.

Well, I pretty much cringe when I watch women fight anyway...

J.B.
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
At the start of the fight, if a fighter puts a glove out to touch hands and you come over the top like that then I definitely think it's a total cheap shot. Not illegal, but definitely cheap.

However, I remember a few months back when Mayweather KO'd Victor Ortiz and people were crying foul. The difference in that situation was it wasn't the start of the fight, and Ortiz had just headbutted Floyd in an attempt to break his nose (which Ortiz admitted). Immediately after the headbutt, Ortiz was acting apologetic and touched gloves with Floyd. Then when the Ref started the fight again Ortiz put his hand out a second time and Floyd just came straight down the pipe and knocked him out. I defended Floyd then, and I still defend him today. In the end, this is the hurt business not the hugs and kisses business, and if you take a cheap shot at me you better expect to get one coming back. Ask Evander Holyfield how throwing all those headbutts against Tyson worked out for his ear that Tyson decided to bite off. :wink:

Bonnie
03-21-2012, 12:48 AM
It was a cheap shot and she obviously planned to do it. I hope her next opponent knocks her block off!

And, if your opponent doesn't have his or her hand out to touch when they take the first step towards you, get your hands up!

Bonnie
03-21-2012, 12:53 AM
However, I remember a few months back when Mayweather KO'd Victor Ortiz and people were crying foul. The difference in that situation was it wasn't the start of the fight, and Ortiz had just headbutted Floyd in an attempt to break his nose (which Ortiz admitted). Immediately after the headbutt, Ortiz was acting apologetic and touched gloves with Floyd. Then when the Ref started the fight again Ortiz put his hand out a second time and Floyd just came straight down the pipe and knocked him out. I defended Floyd then, and I still defend him today. In the end, this is the hurt business not the hugs and kisses business, and if you take a cheap shot at me you better expect to get one coming back. Ask Evander Holyfield how throwing all those headbutts against Tyson worked out for his ear that Tyson decided to bite off. :wink:

Poor Ortiz, he just wanted to hug it out. :laugh:

J.B.
03-21-2012, 01:37 AM
Poor Ortiz, he just wanted to hug it out. :laugh:

He got what he had coming to him, and after he went on record saying he wanted to intentionally hurt Floyd I felt even worse about it. Floyd should have spit on him while he was laying on the canvas just to prove a point. :wink:

EDIT: damn, I sound mean.......still would've spit on him...dude is lame lol

Bonnie
03-21-2012, 05:12 AM
He got what he had coming to him, and after he went on record saying he wanted to intentionally hurt Floyd I felt even worse about it. Floyd should have spit on him while he was laying on the canvas just to prove a point. :wink:

EDIT: damn, I sound mean.......still would've spit on him...dude is lame lol

Maybe we should start a "meanies" club! :laugh: I thought I was mean saying I wanted Gaff's next opponent to knock her block off. I had meaner thoughts, but I left it at that. :laugh:

We need some "gentlemen" boxing rules: :laugh: No spitting, no hugging, and definitely no biting off of body parts! :laugh:

J.B.
03-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Maybe we should start a "meanies" club! :laugh: I thought I was mean saying I wanted Gaff's next opponent to knock her block off. I had meaner thoughts, but I left it at that. :laugh:

We need some "gentlemen" boxing rules: :laugh: No spitting, no hugging, and definitely no biting off of body parts! :laugh:

I love the idea. I wanna be the one to spit on all the meanies! :)

I also love how you suggest boxing is a "gentlemens sport". May I suggest Mike Tyson as our representative? I promise he will not bite any more body parts off, unless they look delicious....:)

EDIT: Just to be clear, the burden of deliciousness lies with the limb bearer (meaning if you dont want your limb eaten, don't make it look so enticing).

adamt
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight

Max
03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
At the start of the fight, if a fighter puts a glove out to touch hands and you come over the top like that then I definitely think it's a total cheap shot. Not illegal, but definitely cheap.

I agree with both points

VCURamFan
03-21-2012, 02:24 PM
i think all mid fight fist bumps and crap ought to be banned, the ref makes you touch gloves at the center of the ring and commands you to go back to your corner and come out fighting. there is a reason it is done that way, to prevent these type of controversies.

if i were a fighter i would want to come out swinging, and would make sure all my oppponents knew that i wasn't going to bump gloves, no hard feelings, but i want to fight also it would prevent anybody from getting a chance to cheap shot me, and that alone would be enough reason to refuse to ever bump gloves mid fight

That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets “Are you ready? Let’s go!” That being said, I do agree with you, I would choose not to touch gloves once time is in, but I’d make that known to my opponent: say something during the weigh-ins, make eye contact during the intros, wave it off if he comes out with his hand extended, etc.

Llamafighter
03-21-2012, 02:27 PM

I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...

adamt
03-21-2012, 02:29 PM
[FONT=Verdana]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]That only happens in the (co-)main event. In most cases, a fighter just gets ďAre you ready? Letís go!Ē [FONT]

i hadn't ever noticed that before....

i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on :laugh:

adamt
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I mostly agree except: They don't always meet at the center before the bell. at which point i think the fist bump is appropriate.
My opinion is if you don't want to bump fists then wave it off. In some traditional Muay Thai the stance involves the lead hand to be out, which could be mistaken for a fist bump...

i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....

rearnakedchoke
03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...

Bonnie
03-21-2012, 05:11 PM
i hadn't ever noticed that before....

i'll have to pay closer attention, but in the vid posted in the first post it shows them touching gloves beforehand,so that should have sufficed, and I may be wrong but i don't think this was main event either.....

anyways, not being nickpicky, i am going to keep a closer eye on that from now on :laugh:

I never noticed that either. :laugh:

Why did she stick her glove out since they had just touched gloves? :unsure:

i could go for the wave it off bit, but doesn't that make you look arrogant and rude? I guess after a while it people would just realize that you aren't a fist bumper.....

I don't think it's rude or arrogant. I've seen some fighters shake their head to indicate, uh-uh, no touchy gloves. :laugh: Or they just keep their hands up. Even when they meet in the middle with the ref and the ref tells them to touch gloves, not all of them do it then. It's their choice.

dirty but fair ... protect yourself at all times .... plus she looked like she did gain composurre from the first little on slaught ...

I think she was probably still rattled from being caught off guard as Gaff intended. I know it's easy for me to say now :laugh:, but I think Maia should have been throwing fists like Gaff, or maybe kick her in the chest to back her off instead of trying to knee her; that did nothing to inhibit or slow the hammer fists Gaff was throwing as Maia found out unfortunately.