PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin

Tyburn
03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
:ninja: has any of the medical peeps on this forum ever come across something known as Harlequin? ...can anyone explain what it is :huh:

Miss Foxy
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
:ninja: has any of the medical peeps on this forum ever come across something known as Harlequin? ...can anyone explain what it is :huh:
I havent heard anything of that nature. Maybe Texas RN has, but I havent and I examine medical claims...

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
my major is in the health field, I've heard of it, in some ways it can describe some old romance novel or something...but I've also heard of Harlequin in London which is a cosmetic surgery place

Miss Foxy
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
:ninja: has any of the medical peeps on this forum ever come across something known as Harlequin? ...can anyone explain what it is :huh: Got the data according to CPT code....

Harlequin ichthyosis (HI) and lamellar ichthyosis, type 2 (LI2) are different types of congenital recessive ichthyosis (CRI). Harlequin ichthyosis is a life-threatening and often fatal disorder. Infants are born prematurely encased in a thick, armor-like cast that severely restricts movements and deforms facial features and distal extremities. Various abnormalities of inner organs have also been reported. Postnatal complications include respiratory distress, dehydration, feeding problems and bacterial infections. In surviving children, the armor-like plates are shed and replaced by intense redness and whitish scale covering the entire body, resembling severe non-bullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (NBCIE). There is ectropium and eclabium (out-turning of the eyelids and mouth) due to tautness of the skin, alopecia, thickening of the skin on palms and soles, heat intolerance and growth delay. Harlequin ichthyosis is very rare. Most patients have autosomal recessive mutations in the ABCA12 gene on chromosome 2q34 that completely prevent the production of this cellular lipid transport protein.

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Got the data according to CPT code....

Harlequin ichthyosis (HI) and lamellar ichthyosis, type 2 (LI2) are different types of congenital recessive ichthyosis (CRI). Harlequin ichthyosis is a life-threatening and often fatal disorder. Infants are born prematurely encased in a thick, armor-like cast that severely restricts movements and deforms facial features and distal extremities. Various abnormalities of inner organs have also been reported. Postnatal complications include respiratory distress, dehydration, feeding problems and bacterial infections. In surviving children, the armor-like plates are shed and replaced by intense redness and whitish scale covering the entire body, resembling severe non-bullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma (NBCIE). There is ectropium and eclabium (out-turning of the eyelids and mouth) due to tautness of the skin, alopecia, thickening of the skin on palms and soles, heat intolerance and growth delay. Harlequin ichthyosis is very rare. Most patients have autosomal recessive mutations in the ABCA12 gene on chromosome 2q34 that completely prevent the production of this cellular lipid transport protein. yikes, that sounds horrible....what brought this up dave?

County Mike
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought a harlequin was a prostitute. Or is that a harlet - or something like that. Either way, sounds better than that disease stuff.

sasquatch
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I think Harley quin is a batman character.:unsure-1:

Crisco
03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I think Harley quin is a batman character.:unsure-1:

Jokers girlfriend

Tyburn
03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
yikes, that sounds horrible....what brought this up dave?
I watched the end of a programme, and it had this strange child...she looked like...well...you know that figure from Startrek movies that has to have his face stretched regularly??

...No joke...and it just said something Harliquin...and showed a picture of the child at Birth...it...looked like it had scales :mellow:

I was like... :huh: but then it was over :blink: