PDA

View Full Version : dating an unsaved girl

Vizion
02-28-2012, 11:54 PM
I must get this off my chest. I don't have anyone to talk to about it but dating this girl has been nothing short of hurting my walk with God.

She's a nice person, but very secular and she's pulled me into things I don't/can't agree with and I've become weak. :cry: (My fault, not hers)

Tonight I plan to end the relationship, but I feel sad about it because I like her and she likes me and sadly, we work together which means I have to still see her around a lot.

Any advice, wisdom, counsel?

Bella79
02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
How serious is it? Like going to the movies every now n then or actually seeing each other out of work more than 2x a week?

rearnakedchoke
02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
i think you should still try and bring her to Christ ... you breaking up with her might show her you are turning your back on her ... if you truly believe, your will won't grow weaker, but probably stronger ....

Vizion
02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
How serious is it? Like going to the movies every now n then or actually seeing each other out of work more than 2x a week?

Not sure, good question ... we have a connection, but she is really jaded from prior relationships as well. I probably have not been a great witness to her either :cry:

Vizion
02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
i think you should still try and bring her to Christ ... you breaking up with her might show her you are turning your back on her ... if you truly believe, your will won't grow weaker, but probably stronger ....You're right ... but I have to be honest with her too and I fear after tonight she won't allow me to see her again :sad:

VCURamFan
02-29-2012, 03:36 AM
i think you should still try and bring her to Christ ... you breaking up with her might show her you are turning your back on her ... if you truly believe, your will won't grow weaker, but probably stronger ....

I disagree, RNC. "Missionary dating" is really dangerous & the Bible specifically warns against it:

14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God.

Vizion, I'm certainly not saying it'll be easy, but take this opportunity to hide yourself in God's arms. Take every pain directly to Him and pour out your heart to Him. Spend time in His Word looking to Him for your comfort. He's the only one who can give you the peace you desire.

And RNC's right: don't turn your back on this girl. Be absolutely upfront with her ("I really like you, but I can't date someone who's not a Christian"). Maybe God has put you in her life to be a witness & this is the catalyst He has chosen. But do not jeopardize your faith for any reason whatsoever.

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 05:50 AM
Vizion, you get the dunce hat for this one! I know you knew better.What were you thinking playing with fire like that anyway?! No sympathy here dude.
Do what Ben says...Ben...dig your sig :laugh:

Vizion
02-29-2012, 06:06 AM
I disagree, RNC. "Missionary dating" is really dangerous & the Bible specifically warns against it:

Vizion, I'm certainly not saying it'll be easy, but take this opportunity to hide yourself in God's arms. Take every pain directly to Him and pour out your heart to Him. Spend time in His Word looking to Him for your comfort. He's the only one who can give you the peace you desire.

And RNC's right: don't turn your back on this girl. Be absolutely upfront with her ("I really like you, but I can't date someone who's not a Christian"). Maybe God has put you in her life to be a witness & this is the catalyst He has chosen. But do not jeopardize your faith for any reason whatsoever.Thanks Ben .... I needed to hear that. SIGH - I made a mistake this time :sad:

Vizion
02-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Vizion, you get the dunce hat for this one! I know you knew better.What were you thinking playing with fire like that anyway?! No sympathy here dude.
Do what Ben says...Ben...dig your sig :laugh:I did know better. I let her beauty captivate me. :sad:

Bonnie
02-29-2012, 06:14 AM

And RNC's right: don't turn your back on this girl. Be absolutely upfront with her ("I really like you, but I can't date someone who's not a Christian"). Maybe God has put you in her life to be a witness & this is the catalyst He has chosen. But do not jeopardize your faith for any reason whatsoever.

Such wise counsel! :)

Bonnie
02-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks Ben .... I needed to hear that. SIGH - I made a mistake this time :sad:

I did know better. I let her beauty captivate me. :sad:

You already knew the answer, didn't you. :)

flo
02-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Viz, everybody here has given such good advice. I'll simply add from a totally secular point of view that workplace dating can turn out to be a nightmare. I know there are times that it does work but as a rule it can get to be a real mess....

Vizion
02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
It's so HARD!!! I BURN for her!!!!

I am so angry at myself for doing this. I don't know how to approach her. Tonight I put it off - just couldn't work up the words and avoided it, but I think she's losing interest all the same. She isn't saying anything though ...

I really messed up guys. I needed to hear your encouraging words :sad: I am so lost over this.

Play The Man
02-29-2012, 08:34 AM
The purpose of dating is to ultimately form a lifelong partnership involving erotic love. You aren't dating this woman for the conversation about religion. You are hoping to fall in love, get married, have sex, have children (hopefully, in that order) You should always assume that the person you are dating will not improve in any of the characteristics that you dislike. Women, especially, are prone to making the mistake that they will "change" the prospective mate. Odds are, she will not change (at least in a good way). She will not become a Christian. Any changes are likely to be ones you will not like (put on weight, nagging, focus on children and not on you, etc., etc., etc.). If you are married and are serious about your vows, you accept that fact and deal with any unpleasantries. You should not go into a marriage with conflicting views on the important things of life - like religion. You will have enough problems pop up without pre-existing ones. When you have children, she will not want to raise them with a devout faith that she does not share. In my opinion, it is unwise to date a woman that you don't see as marriage material. You are wasting her time as well as your own. If you BURN for her, it will not be long before you are involved in an intimate sexual relationship. Life is hard. Life isn't fair. Play The Man and break it off.

rearnakedchoke
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM

yeah .. what he said ...

VCURamFan
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
The purpose of dating is to ultimately form a lifelong partnership involving erotic love. You aren't dating this woman for the conversation about religion. You are hoping to fall in love, get married, have sex, have children (hopefully, in that order) You should always assume that the person you are dating will not improve in any of the characteristics that you dislike. Women, especially, are prone to making the mistake that they will "change" the prospective mate. Odds are, she will not change (at least in a good way). She will not become a Christian. Any changes are likely to be ones you will not like (put on weight, nagging, focus on children and not on you, etc., etc., etc.). If you are married and are serious about your vows, you accept that fact and deal with any unpleasantries. You should not go into a marriage with conflicting views on the important things of life - like religion. You will have enough problems pop up without pre-existing ones. When you have children, she will not want to raise them with a devout faith that she does not share. In my opinion, it is unwise to date a woman that you don't see as marriage material. You are wasting her time as well as your own. If you BURN for her, it will not be long before you are involved in an intimate sexual relationship. Life is hard. Life isn't fair. Play The Man and break it off.

Wow, that's really well said, PTM. I feel like about 90% of that spoke directly to me, too. Thank you for your words.

rearnakedchoke
02-29-2012, 02:04 PM

so you are saying some of us did it backwards?????????

VCURamFan
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
so you are saying some of us did it backwards?????????

Yeah, I usually try to have kids, get married, fall in love, then have sex. :blink:

County Mike
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Since this is in the woodshed and not in the christianity section, is it fair game for me to add my advice?

rearnakedchoke
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I usually try to have kids, get married, fall in love, then have sex. :blink:

i could see how that wouldn't work .. LOL ...

Bella79
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't think you are a bad person. Gossiping, gambling, having "bad " thoughts etc are not smiled at from Christ. I don't know why you would create a thread knowing what you will be told.
Now go burn you sinner... j/k,.. I have nothing to offer. I think that is a battle between yourself and GOD not anyone here.

County Mike
02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
If you don't knock it down now, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Just saying.

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Fool.
( I'm so glad this hasn't happened to me.YET!)
:unsure-1:

I did know better. I let her beauty captivate me. :sad:

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't get what the hold up is. You did it, your done, explain things to her very briefly then go. It's too late to go back and "be friends".
It's so HARD!!! I BURN for her!!!!

I am so angry at myself for doing this. I don't know how to approach her. Tonight I put it off - just couldn't work up the words and avoided it, but I think she's losing interest all the same. She isn't saying anything though ...

I really messed up guys. I needed to hear your encouraging words :sad: I am so lost over this.

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 08:31 PM
We need to talk :unsure-1:

:laugh:

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I used to think like that and be like that, as a Christian though you change. Believe it or not :)If you don't knock it down now, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

Just saying.

flo
02-29-2012, 08:35 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love ya, you're a hoot, Ben!

rearnakedchoke
02-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Just saying.

+1

Bonnie
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM

Just saying.

I used to think like that and be like that, as a Christian though you change. Believe it or not :)

+1

Okay, don't laugh, but I thought you were telling him to "get out" now, but after reading Michelle's and RNC's responses, I think I must have misunderstood what you meant by "knock it down". :unsure-1: Are you saying he should go ahead and slake his lust? To put it in guy terms, "hit it", and, then "quit it"? :unsure-1:

MattHughesRocks
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
That's what those fools are saying. I'm telling him to do the right Christian thing. :laugh:
Okay, don't laugh, but I thought you were telling him to "get out" now, but after reading Michelle's and RNC's responses, I think I must have misunderstood what you meant by "knock it down". :unsure-1: Are you saying he should go ahead and slake his lust? To put it in guy terms, "hit it", and, then "quit it"? :unsure-1:

Bella79
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM

LOL!! Bonnie what???? Hit it and quit it!! You been watching BET? LOL

County Mike
02-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm not saying "hit it and quit it". I'm saying hit it repeatedly.

But wear a condom. Be responsible.

Neezar
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
I must get this off my chest. I don't have anyone to talk to about it but dating this girl has been nothing short of hurting my walk with God.

She's a nice person, but very secular and she's pulled me into things I don't/can't agree with and I've become weak. :cry: (My fault, not hers)

Tonight I plan to end the relationship, but I feel sad about it because I like her and she likes me and sadly, we work together which means I have to still see her around a lot.

Viz, I appreciate you sharing your struggle and hurt with us. Even if you know how everyone around here stands on the issue, I'm sure you know they will pray for you and wish you well.

A broken heart is the worst when trying to find words of comfort. Time is the only thing that seems to help. I do pray that you find peace with this though. *hugs*

Bonnie
02-29-2012, 11:53 PM
That's what those fools are saying. I'm telling him to do the right Christian thing. :laugh:

Okay, got it! :laugh: I guess I should have known when Mike first said, "Since this isn't in the Christian thread..." and when he ended with "Just say'n." :laugh: When RNC replied with, "+1", I think I knew... :laugh:

LOL!! Bonnie what???? Hit it and quit it!! You been watching BET? LOL

:laugh: No, I was just trying to put it in simple guy terms! :laugh: When I first came here, it seemed anytime someone posted a pic of a female, one guy or another would say, "I'd hit it!" :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
03-01-2012, 12:08 AM

+2

flo
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Viz, I appreciate you sharing your struggle and hurt with us. Even if you know how everyone around here stands on the issue, I'm sure you know they will pray for you and wish you well.

A broken heart is the worst when trying to find words of comfort. Time is the only thing that seems to help. I do pray that you find peace with this though. *hugs*

That a beautiful sentiment, Neez. I feel the same way, Viz, hang in there.

NateR
03-01-2012, 01:48 AM

Do you have anything in common with this girl at all? Is it purely sexual attraction that keeps you hanging on? If so, then you probably need to break the relationship off sooner rather than later. Otherwise the chances of you giving to your physical urges will cause you to do something that you will likely regret for eternity.

The responsible thing to do is NOT to have sex with her while wearing a condom. The responsible thing to do is to not have sex with her at all outside of the bounds of marriage.

And if you don't intend to marry her and spend the rest of your life with her, then what's the point of dating her again?

MattHughesRocks
03-01-2012, 05:33 AM
And NateR means this! :w00t:

:ninja:

Do you have anything in common with this girl at all? Is it purely sexual attraction that keeps you hanging on? If so, then you probably need to break the relationship off sooner rather than later. Otherwise the chances of you giving to your physical urges will cause you to do something that you will likely regret for eternity.

The responsible thing to do is NOT to have sex with her while wearing a condom. The responsible thing to do is to not have sex with her at all outside of the bounds of marriage.

And if you don't intend to marry her and spend the rest of your life with her, then what's the point of dating her again?

Vizion
03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Nate is like the forum Dad. You're just awesome man. I really needed you guys this time - NO one knows about this.

I am extremely concerned that I may have hurt her walk by looking like a complete hypocrite now. I also have still avoided it with her. Tonight we spoke briefly on the phone and tomorrow I will see her at the office. We have agreed no one knows about our dating, but she's really dragged me down a shameful road. :cry:

PRShrek
03-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Great idea! Birth control is about ninety six percent effective, so if you have sex twenty five times she’ll only get pregnant once. All your decisions from then on will be pretty much made for you, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

rearnakedchoke
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Great idea! Birth control is about ninety six percent effective, so if you have sex twenty five times she’ll only get pregnant once. All your decisions from then on will be pretty much made for you, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

and once she is pregnant you won't need a condom at all ... i kid i kid ...

i am still with mike on this one ......

of course, a lot of this depends on vizion's age .. which i don't think he said ... at some point, men and women feel that because of their age, they need to get saddled down and marry someone at their "time" is running out, or they feel pressure from their parents, or all their friends are married .. if that is the case, don't let it factor in man ... you do what you gotta do for yourself and your partner ...

NateR
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
and once she is pregnant you won't need a condom at all ... i kid i kid ...

i am still with mike on this one ......

of course, a lot of this depends on vizion's age .. which i don't think he said ... at some point, men and women feel that because of their age, they need to get saddled down and marry someone at their "time" is running out, or they feel pressure from their parents, or all their friends are married .. if that is the case, don't let it factor in man ... you do what you gotta do for yourself and your partner ...

If you decide to remain single, then you shouldn't have a sexual partner. Period. For a Christian, complete abstinence from all sexual activity is the requirement for staying single. If someone can't handle that, then they should marry.

rearnakedchoke
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
ouch .. in that case ... vizion, may i suggest christianmingle.com

VCURamFan
03-01-2012, 09:33 PM
eHarmony is also a good option if you want to go the online dating route. Otherwise, I'd just say find a good church home you feel comfortable in. Trust me, once the older woman find out your single, it'll be a match-making frenzy! :laugh:

Pastor Chris F
03-01-2012, 09:59 PM

NEVER PICK UP YOUR CHICKS WHERE YOU PICK UP YOUR CHECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bella79
03-01-2012, 10:36 PM

I agree!!! Big NO NO..

Buc Nasty
03-03-2012, 02:22 PM

That's what I've been doing wrong! (x5 times now :laugh:)

Play The Man
03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
ouch .. in that case ... vizion, may i suggest christianmingle.com

Play The Man
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree!!! Big NO NO..

My wife and I met at work. We have been married over a decade. Additionally, she was a maid-of-honor and a bridesmaid for marriages that started at the same workplace. All the marriages are over a decade without divorce.

Vizion
03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Tell me about it. I made that mistake years earlier, vowed to never do it again and here I am in the same position.

Something's up with her, she won't say what but I think it's over; to which I am glad but now comes the awkwardness. I have to see her almost everyday and to be honest I'm pissed off because of this attitude she now has that I don't deserve. I've been nothing short of nice to her and I get treated like an a-hole when she was the one coming onto me all this time.

:sad:

Pastor Chris F
03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
My wife and I met at work. We have been married over a decade. Additionally, she was a maid-of-honor and a bridesmaid for marriages that started at the same workplace. All the marriages are over a decade without divorce.

Congrats man!!!!!!!!!! that is really rare in the grand scheme of things.

Pastor Chris F
03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Tell me about it. I made that mistake years earlier, vowed to never do it again and here I am in the same position.

Something's up with her, she won't say what but I think it's over; to which I am glad but now comes the awkwardness. I have to see her almost everyday and to be honest I'm pissed off because of this attitude she now has that I don't deserve. I've been nothing short of nice to her and I get treated like an a-hole when she was the one coming onto me all this time.

:sad:

sorry man. Just remember next time you consider it this feeling and stay out of that circumstance. Or move to where PTM is work with him and find a mate :laugh:. The best place to find a wife is walking in God's will for your life. :)

Vizion
03-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Thank you all so much. Thanks for the PM support too from some of you. I have kept secretive about this from almost everyone, but this support makes me realize what a family we have on this forum. Matt is right he has the best fans in the world, but he also has the best family of fans too.

Play The Man
03-04-2012, 06:52 AM

Weren't you ever taunted on the playground in grade school?

"Ben and ______ sitting in a tree - K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Ben with a baby carriage."

VCURamFan
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Weren't you ever taunted on the playground in grade school?

"Ben and ______ sitting in a tree - K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Ben with a baby carriage."

Yeah, but what do kids know? :blink:

County Mike
03-05-2012, 12:33 AM

If those odds were accurate, I'd have hundreds of kids, maybe thousands.

Vizion
03-05-2012, 02:40 AM

Yea, I hope those odds are off! Otherwise we all might as well move into a monestary.

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM

i am guessing thousands ..

PRShrek
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Let’s hit the middle and say one thousand, which according to my odds means you’ve hit the hoohaa twenty five thousand times. Let’s assume you’re around fifty, and you started your... ahem, ‘career’ at about fifteen years old, that works out to about twice a day for thirty five years, including weekends and holidays.

So, is that why you have to stay in shape, or is this how you stay in shape?

County Mike
03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Let’s hit the middle and say one thousand, which according to my odds means you’ve hit the hoohaa twenty five thousand times. Let’s assume you’re around fifty, and you started your... ahem, ‘career’ at about fifteen years old, that works out to about twice a day for thirty five years, including weekends and holidays.

OK, let's call it low hundreds. Still though, your 1/25 is only for the contraception to fail (ie: condom breaks, etc.). You also have to factor in the odds of the women ovulating at the time, about 1/7 (4/28) and also the odds of fertilization actually occurring (no idea the odds on that).

So, for an accidental pregnancy to occur while wearing a condom, the odds are MUCH lower than 1/25. I've been "busy" from the age of 18 to my current age of 42 and have never had an accidental occurrence. My one and only child was planned and that one took on our first try.

I realize this strays from the advice asked for in the original post. I just didn't want the 1/25 odds to become an unrealistic scare factor.

EDIT: After a little more math, I guess my number of children in the 1/25 scenario would be closer to 100, rather than "hundreds". Assuming only twice per week for 20 years.

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2012, 03:32 PM

hyperbole ..

regardless, he'd have more than one kid

County Mike
03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Damn! My last post got abandoned on the previous page again.

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM

sorry man .. didn't even see it .. yeah, last posts get ruined ...

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM

oh and you have to change your sig to the wilt chamberlain of the MH forums

VCURamFan
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I read it & did the math. According to your new numbers, (didn't mess with the ovulation %s), condoms would be about 99.5% effective.

rearnakedchoke
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
I read it & did the math. According to your new numbers, (didn't mess with the ovulation %s), condoms would be about 99.5% effective.

sounds about right

PRShrek
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
hyperbole ..

What did you call me?

Oh, you’re saying he was exaggerating? Yeah, I guess those numbers seem a little high. And here I thought I had a new hero!

County Mike
03-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Just like it says on the wrapper.