PDA

View Full Version : Military Medals

Irish Pride
02-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I realize that this may start off a political debate. I hope it doesn't. I'm not saying I am on any side of whether this is right or wrong, I simply am curious.

I was looking at Vietnam war relics and came across some medals. They were left at the white house fence during the protests way back.

So then I remember the clips of Vietnam vets coming home and throwing their medals over the white house fence onto the lawns of the white house. Does anyone know what the white house did with these? Was curious if they were saved and donated to a museum, displayed somewhere, or what? I know what is left at the Vietnam War Memorial get's saved, but not about the medals thrown to the white house.

Figured some of you history buffs might know.

flo
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
I realize that this may start off a political debate. I hope it doesn't. I'm not saying I am on any side of whether this is right or wrong, I simply am curious.

I was looking at Vietnam war relics and came across some medals. They were left at the white house fence during the protests way back.

So then I remember the clips of Vietnam vets coming home and throwing their medals over the white house fence onto the lawns of the white house. Does anyone know what the white house did with these? Was curious if they were saved and donated to a museum, displayed somewhere, or what? I know what is left at the Vietnam War Memorial get's saved, but not about the medals thrown to the white house.

Figured some of you history buffs might know.

I'm a little confused, IP. You saw medals that were thrown away during protests? I guess that means someone saved them.

I think you might be referring to the Vietnam Vets Against the War who threw their medals on the steps of the capitol bldg., not the White House. This protest was named Operation Dewey Canyon III - after the last major Marine offensive in Vietnam.

Of course, we could probably ask good 'ol Lurch but I don't know if he'd tell us the truth...

Bonnie
02-19-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm a little confused, IP. You saw medals that were thrown away during protests? I guess that means someone saved them.

I think you might be referring to the Vietnam Vets Against the War who threw their medals on the steps of the capitol bldg., not the White House. This protest was named Operation Dewey Canyon III - after the last major Marine offensive in Vietnam.

Of course, we could probably ask good 'ol Lurch but I don't know if he'd tell us the truth...

Who is "good 'ol Lurch"?

I found this from John Kerry's wiki page:

The day after this testimony, Kerry participated in a demonstration with thousands of other veterans in which he and other veterans threw their medals and ribbons over a fence erected at the front steps of the United States Capitol building to dramatize their opposition to the war. Jack Smith, a Marine, read a statement explaining why the veterans were returning their military awards to the government. For more than two hours, almost 1000 angry veterans tossed their medals, ribbons, hats, jackets, and military papers over the fence. Each veteran gave his or her name, hometown, branch of service and a statement. Kerry threw some of his decorations as well as some given to him by other veterans to throw. As Kerry threw his decorations over the fence, his statement was: "I'm not doing this for any violent reasons, but for peace and justice, and to try and make this country wake up once and for all."[53] The documentary film Sir! No Sir! includes archival footage of Kerry at the demonstration: he is one of several young men seen throwing things over the fence.

flo
02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Who is "good 'ol Lurch"?

Good 'ol Lurch = John Kerry

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/lurch.jpg

You've got to admit, the resemblance is striking! :)

TexasRN
02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Good question. I didn't know that happened. I know that many Vietnam Vets left medals, their boots, and other relics or letters at the wall. Last time I was in DC (back in 1993) they said there was going to be a museum built that showcased the things left at the wall by vets and other visitors. I really want to go see it and experience that. Maybe they put the medals that were thrown over to the White House in there with the stuff from the wall?

~Amy

Bonnie
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Good 'ol Lurch = John Kerry

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/lurch.jpg

You've got to admit, the resemblance is striking! :)

LOL You must have thought that was funny, me asking who "Lurch" was then I post that quote from John Kerry's wiki! I already had the answer but didn't know it! :laugh:

There are some similarities. :laugh:

flo
02-19-2012, 07:23 PM
LOL You must have thought that was funny, me asking who "Lurch" was then I post that quote from John Kerry's wiki! I already had the answer but didn't know it! :laugh:

There are some similarities. :laugh:

That's why we're sistahs!!! :)

Bonnie
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
That's why we're sistahs!!! :)

Twin telepathy...love it! :laugh:

Irish Pride
02-19-2012, 11:56 PM

Some were left at the fence, and this person either took them or bought them from someone that took it. I'm not sure how this person got them?

But I thought some were thrown on the lawns of the white house.

flo
02-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Some were left at the fence, and this person either took them or bought them from someone that took it. I'm not sure how this person got them?

But I thought some were thrown on the lawns of the white house.

Could be! The protest that I'm familiar with is the one I cited in my previous comment (the one that J. Kerry took part in) - Operation Dewey Canyon III. But I'm sure smaller protest actions could have taken place.

Tyburn
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
I suppose it depends what the medals were made of....I suspect they are probably held in storage somewhere...but if any of them were of worth, monetry speaking...well...the United States has a history of melting its mints.

Who actually made the medals...was it the Federal Reserve? In England we have The Royal Mint, and you often find that thought they officially produce the coined currency...they also produce the medals and the likes...

IF those medals were produced by the Federal Reserve...then they might well have melted the medals back down the recycle the metal. During the world wars I think the Federal Reserve melted a whole host of coins they made ready for circulation and then changed their mind....coz I remember seeing one of the few coins that survived the melting, and it has body guards protecting it :laugh:

Sounds strange but consider why England plans to open the olympics later this year with the ringing of bells? In Europe as the Nazi occupation spread across the continent, the Germans would remove all the bells they could find and melt the metal for use as munitions in the war effort...England was never occupied, and thus Englands bells, as in, pre WW2 all survived.

This is part of why when cities on the continent were liberated, the bells would ring. It was a nice touch for a population who had not heard the bells since the war began because the Germans physically stole them and destroyed them.

However callous it sounds, my money would be, particularly as we've had a recession, those medals being returned to their primative alloys and made into something else.