PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Houston Dead

Bonnie
02-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Just saw this breaking news on CNN that Whitney Houston has died. They don't know yet cause of death or any other details.

So sad that her life got so off track. All that God-given talent, that beautiful voice just gone to waste these many years now. :sad: I can't help but wonder if she had never hooked up with Bobby Brown when she did if her life/career might have stayed on track.

Play The Man
02-12-2012, 12:44 AM
:sad:

MattHughesRocks
02-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Rest in peace Whitney. Loved her!

Cooking Dude
02-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Such a great talent , she will be missed by many

J.B.
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if she had never hooked up with Bobby Brown when she did if her life/career might have stayed on track.

I doubt it.

Not to mention she wouldn't have had her only kid, so I'm sure she didn't regret it. They obviously had ups and downs, but clearly they had a lot of love for each other.

MattHughesRocks
02-13-2012, 02:04 AM
"Cooking Dude"? Seriously? :huh:

Such a great talent , she will be missed by many

PRShrek
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow. I remember my sister recording ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ off MTV and watching it over and over. The world is so different now.

Hey! Don’t pick on the new guy!

But seriously, ‘Cooking Dude?’

rearnakedchoke
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
RIP Whitney ...

Bella79
02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Very sad. My heart goes out to her family and fans.
I hope Whitney is now at peace. She had an illness and it was sad to see her go out like this. RIP.

Bonnie
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I doubt it.

Not to mention she wouldn't have had her only kid, so I'm sure she didn't regret it. They obviously had ups and downs, but clearly they had a lot of love for each other.

You can love each other and still be toxic together. It just seems like her life/career turned south after they married. I don't know, maybe she was already into drugs before they hooked up.

I'll never forget when they did that televised tribute to Clive Davis, Whitney was supposed to sing for him, and for some reason, Bobby Brown was on stage too, at one point he goes over and takes her mike from her and starts singing and jumping all over the stage like it was "his" performance. She seemed startled and maybe a little panicked and trying not to show it when he finally gives the mike back to her so she could finish singing. To me it was like he was trying to steal her thunder, her moment. I can't help but wonder if there wasn't some jealousy on his part towards her; sometimes when the woman is more famous and successful, the man's ego can't take it. And wasn't he abusive towards her? :unsure: When they did that reality show, it didn't look like he was very respectful or nice to her.

Bella79
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
You can love each other and still be toxic together. It just seems like her life/career turned south after they married. I don't know, maybe she was already into drugs before they hooked up.

I'll never forget when they did that televised tribute to Clive Davis, Whitney was supposed to sing for him, and for some reason, Bobby Brown was on stage too, at one point he goes over and takes her mike from her and starts singing and jumping all over the stage like it was "his" performance. She seemed startled and maybe a little panicked and trying not to show it when he finally gives the mike back to her so she could finish singing. To me it was like he was trying to steal her thunder, her moment. I can't help but wonder if there wasn't some jealousy on his part towards her; sometimes when the woman is more famous and successful, the man's ego can't take it. And wasn't he abusive towards her? :unsure: When they did that reality show, it didn't look like he was very respectful or nice to her.
Bobby was a total Ike.. Jealous of her.. Sad now Rihanna will be the next one victim to this.... Bleh, so sickening how toxic some people really are.. Sad that she could not get out of it for her childs sake even.. Just goes to show money nor fame cannot provide happiness and peace...

Bonnie
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM

Wow. I remember my sister recording ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’ off MTV and watching it over and over. The world is so different now.

Hey! Don’t pick on the new guy!

But seriously, ‘Cooking Dude?’

He could be a chef, ya know! Besides, who doesn't love a man who can cook! :w00t: :laugh:

"Cooking Dude"...I like it! :)

Bonnie
02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Bobby was a total Ike.. Jealous of her.. Sad now Rihanna will be the next one victim to this.... Bleh, so sickening how toxic some people really are.. Sad that she could not get out of it for her childs sake even.. Just goes to show money nor fame cannot provide happiness and peace...

They mentioned Friday after all this happened that her daughter, Bobbi Kristina, has been photographed snorting cocaine so it looks like she could already be following in her parents' footsteps. :sad:

I was shocked when I was watching the Grammys last night and they mentioned that Rihanna and Chris Brown are back together--they are trying to keep it quiet for now. :rolleyes: I don't know what she sees in him especially after what happened before when he beat her. I was thinking the same thing as you, Bella, this could possibly be the worst decision of her life. :unsure:

Bella79
02-13-2012, 04:24 PM
They mentioned Friday after all this happened that her daughter, Bobbi Kristina, has been photographed snorting cocaine so it looks like she could already be following in her parents' footsteps. :sad:

I was shocked when I was watching the Grammys last night and they mentioned that Rihanna and Chris Brown are back together--they are trying to keep it quiet for now. :rolleyes: I don't know what she sees in him especially after what happened before when he beat her. I was thinking the same thing as you, Bella, this could possibly be the worst decision of her life. :unsure:

I don't even allow Rihanna or Chris Brown music in my house. I think she is an idiot and so is he.
I thank GOD I have never been hit by a man and the creeps I attract are cheaters, but that's a whole another story. I feel bad for women in situations like that, but I don't feel sorry for millionaires who can leave with no excuses. My heart goes out to a woman tied down financially with a jerk and gets beat for her kids to eat vs some rich broad who got whomped on and went back.. Just disgusts me!:punch:

Bonnie
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't even allow Rihanna or Chris Brown music in my house. I think she is an idiot and so is he.
I thank GOD I have never been hit by a man and the creeps I attract are cheaters, but that's a whole another story. I feel bad for women in situations like that, but I don't feel sorry for millionaires who can leave with no excuses. My heart goes out to a woman tied down financially with a jerk and gets beat for her kids to eat vs some rich broad who got whomped on and went back.. Just disgusts me!:punch:

It is hard to understand her decision to go back with him. I wish her the best; I just hope her decision to give him a second chance doesn't cost her more this time around.

I always wondered what attracted Whitney to Bobby Brown. I mean I don't see it, but I guess something about him attracted her. She had money and means, yet she chose to stay for 14 years so maybe women with money are just like other women, trapped in the psychological cycle of abuse.

flo
02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
RIP, Whitney. We will always remember your amazing voice and talent...:cry:

Primadawn
02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
I used to wonder that too, "Why doesn't she just leave?"

Then I became involved in a relationship that eventually became abusive in my early 20's. The changes are subtle at first...and by the time it's really bad, you don't even know how you got there. And if my experience was like most, the reason they don't "just leave" is because the psychological abuse is so much worse than the physical. They isolate you from family and friends, they demean you, they screw with your mind to the point where you really start to think it's your fault.
Mine was such a good actor, that when I finally left (8 days before our wedding) my friends and family were stunned that this had been going on . The day I left, he told me he was going to hang himself. I offered to tie the knot good and tight for him. Lol. He didn't of course, and I won't lie, he had me so screwed up that there was a point that I nearly did go back with him,but by the grace of God, I didn't.

Looking back now, I'm disgusted that it happened, that I allowed it to happen and I'm supposed to be an intelligent person--things like that don't happen to women like me, right? Well it's in every class, every race and may be your next door neighbors--and like I said, it happens slowly. If you know someone that you suspect is being abused, don't ever stop trying to find the truth and don't ever stop trying to help.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.
RIP Whitney.

Bella79
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I used to wonder that too, "Why doesn't she just leave?"

Then I became involved in a relationship that eventually became abusive in my early 20's. The changes are subtle at first...and by the time it's really bad, you don't even know how you got there. And if my experience was like most, the reason they don't "just leave" is because the psychological abuse is so much worse than the physical. They isolate you from family and friends, they demean you, they screw with your mind to the point where you really start to think it's your fault.
Mine was such a good actor, that when I finally left (8 days before our wedding) my friends and family were stunned that this had been going on . The day I left, he told me he was going to hang himself. I offered to tie the knot good and tight for him. Lol. He didn't of course, and I won't lie, he had me so screwed up that there was a point that I nearly did go back with him,but by the grace of God, I didn't.

Looking back now, I'm disgusted that it happened, that I allowed it to happen and I'm supposed to be an intelligent person--things like that don't happen to women like me, right? Well it's in every class, every race and may be your next door neighbors--and like I said, it happens slowly. If you know someone that you suspect is being abused, don't ever stop trying to find the truth and don't ever stop trying to help.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.
RIP Whitney.

My heart bleeds that you went through that.. I am so sorry, but I am also glad you are out of it... You are a strong woman.
You did not derail anything.. You speak from experience.

Primadawn
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
My heart bleeds that you went through that.. I am so sorry, but I am also glad you are out of it... You are a strong woman.

Thanks--it was a long time ago--I'm old now and have had enough really great experiences since then that it's faded away...The funny "silver lining" that it gave me--I was 5'2" and about 115 lb. He was 6'6" 220lb. It was not a fair fight...I used to be really timid though before I met him, and after I got out of that relationship, it made me really outspoken and it was as if I had made it through that, so nothing else could really scare me. (Until I had kids--that's a whole different kind of worry though!).

And on that note, I've been reading where Whitney's daughter has been taken to the hospital a few times since her death. I really hope she can find some peace.

Play The Man
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM

The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.

Bella79
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
The "strong woman" label is a backhanded compliment. I jokingly say it to my wife sometimes. If you will notice, it is usually used by Oprah or someone of her ilk towards a woman who, through bad decisions, has messed up her life. A "strong woman" usually is a woman who was impregnated by a criminal, has a history of substance abuse, or raised a juvenile delinquent, etc. So, a woman of accomplishment, like Condi Rice, will not be referred to as a "strong woman" . . . it will be someone like Britney Spears, Mary Jo Buttafuoco, Whitney Houston, etc.

I know you meant it as a compliment. I couldn't help commenting (probably should have kept my big mouth closed) because it has become a pet peeve of mine. It is joining other words and phrases like "our rich diversity", "fair share", "speak truth to power", etc., etc., etc.
I am sorry if you have pet peeves, but I meant it just how I typed it.. She is a strong woman. A strong woman for being able to reflect on a horrible time in her life to have the wisdom to speak of it and overcome it.
I too have petpeeves.. I don't feel the need to comment after each one.

Play The Man
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Very sad. My heart goes out to her family and fans.
I hope Whitney is now at peace. She had an illness and it was sad to see her go out like this. RIP.

What illness did she have? :unsure-1: Rheumatoid Arthritis? Coronary Artery Disease? Breast cancer? I thought she liked to take drugs.

VCURamFan
02-14-2012, 10:26 PM

If you know that Foxy meant it as a compliment, then why would try to undermine that? Regardless of how others may want to twist the words, Melissa was clearly telling Dawn that she was a woman who is strong, as evidenced by her ability to walk away (and stay away) from an abuser.

Play The Man
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
If you know that Foxy meant it as a compliment, then why would try to undermine that? Regardless of how others may want to twist the words, Melissa was clearly telling Dawn that she was a woman who is strong, as evidenced by her ability to walk away (and stay away) from an abuser.

Not meant as undermining. Just an aside, triggered by a buzzword on a forum meant for comments. The comment was on the phrase, not Melissa/Bella's intent (or on Primadawn's story). I know her intent was a compliment. I was just making the observation that "strong woman" is becoming something akin to "nice guy". "Nice guy" was originally meant as a compliment but over time has taken on the connotation of a wimp or doormat ("Nice guys finish last.").

Play The Man
02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
VCU RamFan/Ben, I have a challenge for you. Over the next few months, when you are watching tv, keep your ears open and make a mental note of when you hear the words, "strong woman". As I mentioned, my wife and I have noticed it and whenever I hear it on tv (and it is invariably in the context of a woman whose life is in shambles, not from acts of God, but by poor personal decisions), I look over at my wife and say, "Honey, you are such a strong woman." (She gets a chuckle or eye roll out of it). It must happen at least a half-dozen times a year. (Of course, me wife tends to watch a bunch of Lifetime and WE tv.) In our home, "strong woman" is an inside-joke.

Cooking Dude
02-14-2012, 11:24 PM
well , I had to think of something fast....lol...actually I am Jimmy Mack , and I actually am an executive chef........old account was one of the many that got removed

flo
02-15-2012, 12:41 AM
I wondered who "Cooking Dude" was as well. Glad you are back, Jimmy Mack.

now maybe I can get some recipes from you...:)

Cooking Dude
02-15-2012, 01:04 AM
any time Flo , just let me know what you are looking for

Bonnie
02-15-2012, 01:28 AM
well , I had to think of something fast....lol...actually I am Jimmy Mack , and I actually am an executive chef........old account was one of the many that got removed

I knew it! :cool: :laugh:

As soon as I read "Jimmy Mack" that song popped into my! :laugh: Glad you're back. :)

MattHughesRocks
02-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Sorry Cooking Dude! :laugh:
We remember you now :wink:

Cooking Dude
02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
It'all good...lol
Glad to be back

J.B.
04-04-2012, 03:07 AM

I know I'm WAY late on this response, so I apologize, I just don't get on to check the boards at the same rate that I used, so I've missed some responses. In short, I'm slippin, need to tighten my game up! :laugh:

Anyhoot, you are absolutely right. Love can actually be the most toxic part of any relationship because it can push a person, or both people, to make bad decisions that they wouldn't normally make. I've seen it, and I have lived it, so you will get no argument from me on that.

What I will say is this. Whitney was a diva. She was incredibly talented, and also very beautiful. She didn't need Bobby to be "Whitney Houston", so she could have left him at any time. Also, the life of a superstar gives you more access than most people could even imagine. With or without Bobby, she probably would have ended up down the same path because of her nature and the nature of the business she lived in. To quote Metallica; "Sad but truuuueeeeehhhha"... :)

Bonnie
04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I know I'm WAY late on this response, so I apologize, I just don't get on to check the boards at the same rate that I used, so I've missed some responses. In short, I'm slippin, need to tighten my game up! :laugh:

Anyhoot, you are absolutely right. Love can actually be the most toxic part of any relationship because it can push a person, or both people, to make bad decisions that they wouldn't normally make. I've seen it, and I have lived it, so you will get no argument from me on that.

What I will say is this. Whitney was a diva. She was incredibly talented, and also very beautiful. She didn't need Bobby to be "Whitney Houston", so she could have left him at any time. Also, the life of a superstar gives you more access than most people could even imagine. With or without Bobby, she probably would have ended up down the same path because of her nature and the nature of the business she lived in. To quote Metallica; "Sad but truuuueeeeehhhha"... :)

I watched the interview Oprah did with her sister-in-law who was very close to Whitney and I was reminded that we just see a very small facet of a celebrity's life through a very narrow window.

It was wrong to blame Bobby Brown, Whitney was responsible for what she did or didn't do. Her life, her decisions...

but what a waste of such God-given talent. :sad:

J.B.
04-05-2012, 12:27 AM
I watched the interview Oprah did with her sister-in-law who was very close to Whitney and I was reminded that we just see a very small facet of a celebrity's life through a very narrow window.

It was wrong to blame Bobby Brown, Whitney was responsible for what she did or didn't do. Her life, her decisions...

but what a waste of such God-given talent. :sad:

It sucks, but we all have to die. I don't think her talents were "wasted", because she inspired so many people. :)