PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn: ‘We have to defend the (UFC) lightweight title’

Max
03-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Quoteworthy:

We’re looking for a return, we have to defend the lightweight title. It’s been long, it’s been overdue since we defended the lightweight title. I had to heal up some of my injuries that I suffered from the Georges St. Pierre fight. I’m all good now so we’re gonna move forward with my same team, my same camp and we’re gonna make a run to defend the lightweight title — I think it’s either late July or early August.

-UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn talks about returning to the 155-pound division just hours after his hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) regarding the accusations he made about current welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre getting greased up in between rounds of their championship superfight at UFC 94 “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ back on January 31. While the controversy is far from over, it’s refreshing to hear “The Prodigy” speak about getting back to business in the lightweight division — where a handful of contenders (including Kenny Florian) are eagerly awaiting his return.

Hell yea. I say Dana add BJ vs Ken-Flo to UFC 100

rockdawg21
03-19-2009, 01:29 AM
War KENFLO!!!!!!!!!!

atomdanger
03-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Tear him in half BJ.

Hughes_GOAT
03-19-2009, 03:00 AM
i think Florian can make it to the second round but that's it....BJ chokes him out.

Chuck
03-19-2009, 05:42 AM
The only thing I'm looking forward to more the Kenny beating BJ is the excuse The Porkigy comes up with to explain his loss... :laugh:

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 05:50 AM
The only thing I'm looking forward to more the Kenny beating BJ is the excuse The Porkigy comes up with to explain his loss... :laugh:ditto, I give bj the upper hand in this fight, but I pray bj needs to go crying to his momma again

Hughes_GOAT
03-19-2009, 06:12 AM
BJ owns all at 155.

billwilliams70
03-19-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm looking forward to this fight, I think that it should be a good one. Florian's got the stamina to beat Penn, but Penn is always dangerous.....regardless of the excuses.

We'll see.

Later.

Chuck
03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
BJ owns all at 155* except Kenny..
Fixed.:laugh:

bj44
03-19-2009, 07:33 AM
i think Florian can make it to the second round but that's it....BJ chokes him out.
cough jens pulver, cough caol uno

its not like hes unbeatable he he can be beat at that weight... Is he the best lw in the world?Maybe......... He's def the most talented but he can be beat.

edit: I wanted to qoute the bj owns all at 155 comment of yours

Crisco
03-19-2009, 02:00 PM
BJ rules the 155 DIV.

He needs to keep his fat ass head at 155.

He has no place at 170 anymore.

I do hope Kenny wins though just because I want to see what the excuse will be.

Llamafighter
03-19-2009, 02:09 PM
BJ owns all at 155.

Agreed. I think we're letting the beating he took by GSP at 170 cloud our judgement.
BJ is a monster at 155. I don't see Keny beating him. Kenny is awesome but BJ's the next level.

Max
03-19-2009, 02:49 PM

its not like hes unbeatable he he can be beat at that weight... Is he the best lw in the world?Maybe......... He's def the most talented but he can be beat.

Im glad you can name 2 fight from 2002 and 2003 that prove your point :rolleyes: . Since coming back to the LW division BJ is clearly on another level.

On another note, Im willing to do a sig bet for this fight if anyone whats to take me up on it.

rearnakedchoke
03-19-2009, 03:02 PM

come on ..those fights are sooo old ... jens is finished and uno is going to lose to fisher ... that is like saying dennis hallman is better than matt cuz he beat him twice in quick and convincing fashion .. we all know if that fight happened today, hallman would be taken out on a stretcher .. Bj takes this fight .. i won't say he is unbeatable at 155, ken flo has a chance, just not a great one ... i would like to see aoki/penn, but shinya says he won't fight in the ufc, so that will have to wait ...

Chuck
03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Im glad you can name 2 fight from 2002 and 2003 that prove your point :rolleyes: . Since coming back to the LW division BJ is clearly on another level.

On another note, Im willing to do a sig bet for this fight if anyone whats to take me up on it.

Terms?

Max
03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Terms?
I will let you decide

bj44
03-20-2009, 03:28 PM

since coming back to lw?

Hes had 2 lw fights in the ufc since then lol, not like hes cleaned out the division. He beat joe stevenson and sherk with the worst gameplan possible. Plus who knows where he will be mentally after the beating he took in January....

Neezar
03-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Kenny has broken me from counting him out.

KENTUCKYREDBONE
03-20-2009, 07:41 PM
155 seems to be the right weight class for BJ!

atomdanger
03-20-2009, 07:54 PM
since coming back to lw?

Hes had 2 lw fights in the ufc since then lol, not like hes cleaned out the division. He beat joe stevenson and sherk with the worst gameplan possible. Plus who knows where he will be mentally after the beating he took in January....

Good point, but it isn't like there are a lot of LW's that are knocking on the door for the title.

bj44
03-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Good point, but it isn't like there are a lot of LW's that are knocking on the door for the title.
I agree its hard to see any lw's in the ufc that have the right style to beat bj. I think florian's skillset posses problems. He can attemp to use sean sherks stadegy and it might actually work for him because hes nt 5'5 with t rex arms. Well see what happens.

Would love to see Bj fight some overseas lw's like hansen, aoki, jz etc.

atomdanger
03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree its hard to see any lw's in the ufc that have the right style to beat bj. I think florian's skillset posses problems. He can attemp to use sean sherks stadegy and it might actually work for him because hes nt 5'5 with t rex arms. Well see what happens.

Would love to see Bj fight some overseas lw's like hansen, aoki, jz etc.

I agree completely, I just don't see many interesting fights after Kenny.

Aoki, Hansen, and some others could be very interesting though

bj44
03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree completely, I just don't see many interesting fights after Kenny.

Aoki, Hansen, and some others could be very interesting though
Its all about styles really, Kenny is the only lw in the UFC i can see potentially beating bj but i still think kenny would have trouble with some of the really strong wrestlers in the UFC like sherk, griffin etc.

Neezar
03-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Its all about styles really, Kenny is the only lw in the UFC i can see potentially beating bj but i still think kenny would have trouble with some of the really strong wrestlers in the UFC like sherk, griffin etc.

I thought Kenny held his own pretty good against Sherk last time. I think he would beat him now.

bj44
03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I thought Kenny held his own pretty good against Sherk last time. I think he would beat him now.
Maybe, but seeing how Joe lauzon was outwrestling him in there fight makes me wonder.

Neezar
03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Maybe, but seeing how Joe lauzon was outwrestling him in there fight makes me wonder.

Yeah, but Joe is a monster.

:laugh:

bradwright
03-20-2009, 08:33 PM
did you catch that atomdanger,
i said,okay.

atomdanger
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
did you catch that atomdanger,
i said,okay.

Oh I got, deal!

This should be a good fight win or lose,
Kenny does bring it, and hopefully BJ can put in some effort this training camp.

BJ Penn is a CLASSIC example, heck, he is the example that when somebody has a lot of natural ability, it can make them rely on it and be lazy

bradwright
03-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh I got, deal!

This should be a good fight win or lose,
Kenny does bring it, and hopefully BJ can put in some effort this training camp.

BJ Penn is a CLASSIC example, heck, he is the example that when somebody has a lot of natural ability, it can make them rely on it and be lazy
it will be a good fight,
heck BJ might even win,although i highly doubt it,

que
03-21-2009, 05:32 AM
kenny might win and i will actually be rooting for him this time

but BJ definately has the advantage and that is undeniable

timmyja
03-21-2009, 07:27 AM
according to Rudy V. Kenny is wasting our money on PPV...

MMeh
03-21-2009, 07:44 AM
As much as I can't stand BJ, the only way I see Florian winning is if either (1) BJ comes in sloppy/out of shape or (2) Florian catches him with an elbow above the eye and the fight is stopped on account of the cut. BJ is just too skilled, imo. Of course, I'll be rooting for Florian :tongue0011:

StizzoFoShizzo
03-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I wonder if this ones gonna be a fight "to the death" too?

bj44
03-21-2009, 06:16 PM
kenny might win and i will actually be rooting for him this time

but BJ definately has the advantage and that is undeniable
i can agree with that

Chuck
03-21-2009, 10:51 PM
As much as I can't stand BJ, the only way I see Florian winning is if either (1) BJ comes in sloppy/out of shape or (2) Florian catches him with an elbow above the eye and the fight is stopped on account of the cut. BJ is just too skilled, imo. Of course, I'll be rooting for Florian :tongue0011:

Well.....

BJ has came in sloppy/out of shape many times....

Florian has caught many people with elbows......

I like Florian's chances...

BJ is going to be too distracted by his GSP whining.....

Kenny will take this one... :wink: