PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking at colleges

Jason 16
03-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Well to start off the guidance counselor is ...well not worth squat and not even worth going to Ive all ready tried. see will hand me a ***** load of papers and kick me out of the room and will go back to feeding her fat face(she uses and elevator because she is to fat to use the stairs).
Ok I want to major in computer animation with the intent of getting a job for an animated movie studio(or even for movies like transformers ) or a video game studio (<-dream job) which is under computer sciences. Iam on here to get ideas because I dont realy have much time to research.

TexasRN
03-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Well to start off the guidance counselor is ...well not worth squat and not even worth going to Ive all ready tried. see will hand me a ***** load of papers and kick me out of the room and will go back to feeding her fat face(she uses and elevator because she is to fat to use the stairs).
Ok I want to major in computer animation with the intent of getting a job for an animated movie studio(or even for movies like transformers ) or a video game studio (<-dream job) which is under computer sciences. Iam on here to get ideas because I dont realy have much time to research.

What state do you live in? Do you need to go in state or are you looking out of state? What is your financial situation, paying for it all yourself while working full time, free ride from the college on scholarship, or are you a trust fund baby? What else are you looking to get out of your college experience? Are you looking to go 4 year all the way or start at a community college first? I highly recommend this route to most people because it saves tons of money and you get the same education.

I don't know specifics about which colleges are the best in which fields but I can give a little advice on the other stuff.

~Amy

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
What state do you live in?
1.Do you need to go in state or are you looking out of state?

2.What is your financial situation, paying for it all yourself while working full
time, free ride from the college on scholarship, or are you a trust fund baby?

3.What else are you looking to get out of your college experience?

4.Are you looking to go 4 year all the way or start at a community college first? I highly recommend this route to most people because it saves tons of money and you get the same education.

I don't know specifics about which colleges are the best in which fields but I can give a little advice on the other stuff.

~Amy

Ok sorry I was a little rushed typeing this I was getting kicked off of the computer.

1. if possible in state I live in north east Pa. penn state schuylkill is the nearest.
2. my parents are paying for what ever I cant pay for with a part time job and what I have saved up.
3. umm beer...... yea my dad would kill me so he wouldnt know about it :laugh: no realy go to school go to my part time job and train at least 3 days a week.
4.?dont realy know?

Miss Foxy
03-19-2009, 01:22 AM
Amy is very correct with starting out at a JC (junior college). You might want to wipe out your general classes at a JC then transfer when you start core classes. You will save thousands of dollars!...Trust me! Good luck!! :)

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 01:26 AM
UM is there any one that does animation on here!!!

Max
03-19-2009, 01:28 AM
here is some info on Penn State
http://www.cse.psu.edu/

Here is some info on Pitt
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/

Its just from their websites but it is a good place to start.

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 03:37 AM
for your major, community college might be the best route because I think you can get a degree in 2 years...I kind of have to go 4 years because 3.5 years are full of work for my major....If you don't mind me asking, what year are you in school, and what are your grades like, because if you want a 4 year university, they have certain requirements to get in...and have you taken the act yet?

logrus
03-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Amy is very correct with starting out at a JC (junior college). You might want to wipe out your general classes at a JC then transfer when you start core classes. You will save thousands of dollars!...Trust me! Good luck!! :)

Thats what I am on the verge of doing as well. Just remember that you need to make sure your general classes will transfer to the major university for your last 2 years. Otherwise you will have to retake those classes all over again.

Preach
03-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Nater does

County Mike
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
here is some info on Penn State
http://www.cse.psu.edu/

Here is some info on Pitt
http://www.cs.pitt.edu/

Its just from their websites but it is a good place to start.

LOL. If he couldn't find those on his own, I doubt he'd be ready for college. I'm sure your heart was in the right place though.

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
for your major, community college might be the best route because I think you can get a degree in 2 years...I kind of have to go 4 years because 3.5 years are full of work for my major....If you don't mind me asking, what year are you in school, and what are your grades like, because if you want a 4 year university, they have certain requirements to get in...and have you taken the act yet?

Jr and like about 91% which is about a 3.6 I think

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Jr and like about 91% which is about a 3.6 I thinkgrades like that you shouldn't have to much trouble getting into a 4 year school if thats the route you wanna take...you probably take the act in the spring right? thats the big one, take it seriously and you shouldn't have to much trouble, don't hype it up to be to big, because then you'll score will suffer because of nerves, if you haven't taken the act yet, I'd wait to start seriously searching for schools until you have your score back, thats when you really get a good idea of where you fit in

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Update

I found this web site http://schools.awn.com/index.php?ltype=disp&id=13353

and it has a great search engine for schools. I found Kutztown University on the list and its one of the better art/film/animation schools and its not bad when it comes to the price not to mention that its not that far .

so right now Id like to know more about well animation like pay, number of jobs, do you normaly have to move to go to get a job. Ive researched this all ready I just want to know from some one that had to all ready go through what I will have to go through instead of just a web site.

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
grades like that you shouldn't have to much trouble getting into a 4 year school if thats the route you wanna take...you probably take the act in the spring right? thats the big one, take it seriously and you shouldn't have to much trouble, don't hype it up to be to big, because then you'll score will suffer because of nerves, if you haven't taken the act yet, I'd wait to start seriously searching for schools until you have your score back, thats when you really get a good idea of where you fit in
I can take the SAT Or the ACT I need to pick soon but Iam not sure which.
O I heard there going to drop the SAT and replace it with the PSSA wich for right now is used in high schools in PA and In the next couple years it will take the place of the sat and might become country wide

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Update

I found this web site http://schools.awn.com/index.php?ltype=disp&id=13353

and it has a great search engine for schools. I found Kutztown University on the list and its one of the better art/film/animation schools and its not bad when it comes to the price not to mention that its not that far .

so right now Id like to know more about well animation like pay, number of jobs, do you normaly have to move to go to get a job. Ive researched this all ready I just want to know from some one that had to all ready go through what I will have to go through instead of just a web site.computer animation according to payscale looks like a starting salary of about 36k/year

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I can take the SAT Or the ACT I need to pick soon but Iam not sure which.
O I heard there going to drop the SAT and replace it with the PSSA wich for right now is used in high schools in PA and In the next couple years it will take the place of the sat and might become country wide
take the act, the SAT is old news, most schools don't even require it for admission, almost all have an act requirement, act is what the look at first

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
computer animation according to payscale looks like a starting salary of about 36k/year

I saw starting of 40k and in 6 years 75k

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
take the act, the SAT is old news, most schools don't even require it for admission, almost all have an act requirement, act is what the look at first
so take the ACT? I dint sign up yet for eather so Iam going to ask the guidance counselors first.

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
so take the ACT? I dint sign up yet for eather so Iam going to ask the guidance counselors first.
the act without a doubt...I didn't even take the act, but I got accepted into multiple schools and I got scholarships, with an SAT only, I wouldn't have even been eligible to apply into any of those schools

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
This is for nate or for any other animators. Iam great at useing computer animation programs but how good do you have to be at hand drawing (Iam am very good at mechanical and architectural drawings but very soso at the drawing the flowers and crap like that type of stuff but I could do it on the computer).

logrus
03-19-2009, 09:55 PM

I do 3D design if thats what your looking for.

Jason 16
03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I do 3D design if thats what your looking for.
umm :huh: and what all does that cover?

Black Mamba
03-20-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm not in the computer animation arena (more of the science and math field) but I can share with you a few tips.

Depending on your mind set and with that nice of a GPA, I would say screw the junior colleges and jump right in a 4 year. Out here in Cali, a lot of my friends in JCs are being messed over because they are seeing now that it won't be so easy to transfer to a 4 year. The colleges out here are accepting less people (incoming freshman and transfer students), and transfer students have to battle with incoming freshman for spots now too. If you can, definitely go for the 4 year right off the bat.

I would also advise being flexible with your major and what you want to do. I have already changed my major 2 twice (biochem---cell/molecular bio---bioeng). Just try and keep an open mind.

NateR
03-20-2009, 02:09 AM
This is for nate or for any other animators. Iam great at useing computer animation programs but how good do you have to be at hand drawing (Iam am very good at mechanical and architectural drawings but very soso at the drawing the flowers and crap like that type of stuff but I could do it on the computer).

The computer animation field is highly specialized. In other words, there are no jack-of-all-trades types. People usually focus in on one area and don't really delve too far beyond a basic familiarity with everything else.

So if you're really good with architectural drawing, but not with drawing human beings, then you'd probably want to be a environmental modeler. In other words, you'd build the environments that the characters walk around in. The characters themselves would be modeled, rigged and animated by a separate teams of people.

Even as an environmental modeler, you could specialize even further and focus on buildings while someone else models trees, plants and other organic forms.

If you ever look at the credits for a major special effects film, there are hundreds and hundreds of people involved in the computer animation. For instance, for the first Chronicles of Narnia film they had a team of around 100 animators working for two years to create and animate a single character: Aslan.

They would be broken down into several groups:
1. the modelers who would create the polygon model
2. the riggers who would handle the incredibly tedious and labor intensive process of creating the animation "skeleton" and controls.
3. the animators who would lay out the animation of the character throughout the film.
4. hair animators whose only job would be to make sure that Aslan's fur and mane looked and moved realistically
5. renderers who would take care of actually rendering the animation (which can take anywhere from 1-90 hours per frame in a 24-frame-per-second movie)
6. render watchers, the guys who simply monitor the renders to make sure the computers don't lock up or crash.
7. compositors - animators rarely render entire scenes at once, most of the time they render individual elements and another group of people composites everything together into a single image
8. sound designers - the team who would come up with the sounds of Aslan's roar, along with walking and general fur rustling sounds.

So you can see that the field offers almost infinite potential for specialization. As long as motion pictures remain a billion-dollar industry then there is going to be a demand for talented artists and draftsmen.

Jason 16
03-20-2009, 03:03 AM
The computer animation field is highly specialized. In other words, there are no jack-of-all-trades types. People usually focus in on one area and don't really delve too far beyond a basic familiarity with everything else.

So if you're really good with architectural drawing, but not with drawing human beings, then you'd probably want to be a environmental modeler. In other words, you'd build the environments that the characters walk around in. The characters themselves would be modeled, rigged and animated by a separate teams of people.

Even as an environmental modeler, you could specialize even further and focus on buildings while someone else models trees, plants and other organic forms.

If you ever look at the credits for a major special effects film, there are hundreds and hundreds of people involved in the computer animation. For instance, for the first Chronicles of Narnia film they had a team of around 100 animators working for two years to create and animate a single character: Aslan.

They would be broken down into several groups:
1. the modelers who would create the polygon model
2. the riggers who would handle the incredibly tedious and labor intensive process of creating the animation "skeleton" and controls.
3. the animators who would lay out the animation of the character throughout the film.
4. hair animators whose only job would be to make sure that Aslan's fur and mane looked and moved realistically
5. renderers who would take care of actually rendering the animation (which can take anywhere from 1-90 hours per frame in a 24-frame-per-second movie)
6. render watchers, the guys who simply monitor the renders to make sure the computers don't lock up or crash.
7. compositors - animators rarely render entire scenes at once, most of the time they render individual elements and another group of people composites everything together into a single image
8. sound designers - the team who would come up with the sounds of Aslan's roar, along with walking and general fur rustling sounds.

So you can see that the field offers almost infinite potential for specialization. As long as motion pictures remain a billion-dollar industry then there is going to be a demand for talented artists and draftsmen.

Iam best at architectural and me mechanical drawing. as far as Ive seen there is no major for animation (in the packets I got from school) it would be under computer science right? now sice you got a good Idea what I want to do does it pay good. well at least good enough for me not to penny pick over every little thing. Thanks Nate

NateR
03-20-2009, 03:22 AM
Iam best at architectural and me mechanical drawing. as far as Ive seen there is no major for animation (in the packets I got from school) it would be under computer science right? now sice you got a good Idea what I want to do does it pay good. well at least good enough for me not to penny pick over every little thing

Well, starting out, you can't really expect much. Probably $20,000 a year on average. But once you get a couple of years of practical, real-world experience under your belt, then you can start expecting a higher salary.

The nice thing about art related fields is that, if you have enough natural talent, then you don't need to waste your time or money on too much education. Most of the time, an Associates degree is enough if you're putting out high quality work. Anything beyond that is just a waste of money unless you are looking to be a teacher or college professor.

The most important piece of advice that I can give, and I can't stress this enough, is to put everything you have into every single project when you are in college. Treat every project like you are going to be presenting it at a job interview for your dream job (which I'm assuming is something in the CG animation field). This way, when you graduate, you will have a portfolio or demo reel literally overflowing with high quality work.

When putting your portfolio or demo reel together, you don't want to have a few good pieces of work padded with a lot of mediocre stuff. Your state of mind should be that if it's good or very good, then it's not good enough for your portfolio or demo reel. When presenting your work to a potential employer, you only want them to see your great work. Good simply won't cut it.

logrus
03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Nates list is pretty accurate if your going the route of Animation for Movies, and such. I believe that would fall under an art degree. The other route would be game design which falls under Computer Science degree.

Game Design follows the same rules Nate listed with each aspect of the game being handled by a different group of individuals.

Jason 16
03-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Well, starting out, you can't really expect much. Probably $20,000 a year on average. But once you get a couple of years of practical, real-world experience under your belt, then you can start expecting a higher salary.

The nice thing about art related fields is that, if you have enough natural talent, then you don't need to waste your time or money on too much education. Most of the time, an Associates degree is enough if you're putting out high quality work. Anything beyond that is just a waste of money unless you are looking to be a teacher or college professor.

The most important piece of advice that I can give, and I can't stress this enough, is to put everything you have into every single project when you are in college. Treat every project like you are going to be presenting it at a job interview for your dream job (which I'm assuming is something in the CG animation field). This way, when you graduate, you will have a portfolio or demo reel literally overflowing with high quality work.

When putting your portfolio or demo reel together, you don't want to have a few good pieces of work padded with a lot of mediocre stuff. Your state of mind should be that if it's good or very good, then it's not good enough for your portfolio or demo reel. When presenting your work to a potential employer, you only want them to see your great work. Good simply won't cut it.

um and you can get up to what pay? I would love makeing a liveing off of animations but if I cant work my way up to a good decent pay than I might stick with programing (even though its not as enjoyable)

NateR
03-21-2009, 04:44 AM
um and you can get up to what pay? I would love makeing a liveing off of animations but if I cant work my way up to a good decent pay than I might stick with programing (even though its not as enjoyable)

Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a "go where the money is" type of person. If I was, I wouldn't be here in Hillsboro, IL making less than $10,000 a year. I'd be in California working for a movie studio making tons of money, but I'd be totally miserable.

I believe that you should do what you love, not what pays the most money.

Jason 16
03-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a "go where the money is" type of person. If I was, I wouldn't be here in Hillsboro, IL making less than $10,000 a year. I'd be in California working for a movie studio making tons of money, but I'd be totally miserable.

I believe that you should do what you love, not what pays the most money.
Umm Iam just saying That I would not want to go to school for something and realy just be as well off going to votec.

for money wise it atuly doesnt seem as bad as you made it seem. I guess Its you get a job and you get payed what your worth and you have to prove it(what your worth). O and Iam still am going to stick with animation
http://www.animationmentor.com/press/releases/20081016/press-20081016.html