PDA

View Full Version : NSAC meets about the GSP/Penn thing tomorrow

atomdanger
03-17-2009, 03:01 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14282/nsac-seeks-closure-in-penn-vs-st-pierre-case-at-tuesday-meeting.mma

"I think we have everything we need to (reach a conclusion)," NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Both camps sent in voluminous documents. We have the video. It happened right in front of us. I don't know what we don't have that we would need. It's almost been two months."

"You've got the [St. Pierre] fans that are like, 'Hey, what's the big deal? This wouldn't have made any difference.' But I don't know how you would prove that it didn't make a difference.

"On the flip side you've got the [Penn] fans that say, 'This is the worst thing ever. Suspend Georges.' But I'm not sure how you prove that it did make a difference, either. I'm not sure how you prove it either way.

Any predictions on what they are going to decide???

Chuck
03-17-2009, 03:07 AM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14282/nsac-seeks-closure-in-penn-vs-st-pierre-case-at-tuesday-meeting.mma

Any predictions on what they are going to decide???

I don't think it's going to go in BJ's favor at all. I don't think it's going to be nearly as big of a deal as BJ's fans want it to be.

Obviously I could be wrong and I know 2 or 3 of you that are just waiting to jump on me if I am... but oh well.... that's my prediction!

Anyone else?????

Max
03-17-2009, 03:09 AM
I think there might be a fine and maybe they will suspend Nurse but I think the main thing that will / has come out of it is the new rule change and I think they will now watch for it now more than ever.

atomdanger
03-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I think one of a couple things could happen.

At a worst case(for GSP), I see them doing a NC, this is a slim chance.

More than likely, I think they suspend Nurse and maybe Jackson.

I don't think the 250K fine would ever happen lol

I dislike GSP, he doesn't deserve any respect from anybody IMO,
but I don't think what BJ asked for remotely close to what is fair.
If I was in charge, NC. Thats it, no fines, no suspensions.

In my eyes that fight is a NC, because nobody will ever really know how big of a difference it made in the fight, so it should be a no contest

que
03-17-2009, 03:31 AM
"You've got the [St. Pierre] fans that are like, 'Hey, what's the big deal? This wouldn't have made any difference.' But I don't know how you would prove that it didn't make a difference.

"On the flip side you've got the [Penn] fans that say, 'This is the worst thing ever. Suspend Georges.' But I'm not sure how you prove that it did make a difference, either. I'm not sure how you prove it either way.

this man lacks logic.

it's not about 'did it make a difference or not'

it's about 'was it illegal or not'

hopefully they will find the truth somewhere in there and justice will be served.

Moose
03-17-2009, 03:56 AM
I don't think it's going to go in BJ's favor at all. I don't think it's going to be nearly as big of a deal as BJ's fans want it to be.

Obviously I could be wrong and I know 2 or 3 of you that are just waiting to jump on me if I am... but oh well.... that's my prediction!

Anyone else?????

Cosigned.

Neezar
03-17-2009, 04:13 AM
I don't think they will do anything but rewrite or clarify the rules. However, I think most of the damage is done. I agree with Dana that GSP's win is just overlooked and the unfortunate focused on.

White said it was unfortunate GSP's dominant win was overshadowed by the cornerman controversy.

"He didn't have to put grease on him. ... Georges St. Pierre was winning the fight, he was dominant in the standup and on the ground. To have a fight or a fighter like St. Pierre tainted over a stupidity, I hate it. It sucks."

logrus
03-17-2009, 04:16 AM
this man lacks logic.

it's not about 'did it make a difference or not'

it's about 'was it illegal or not'

hopefully they will find the truth somewhere in there and justice will be served.

Exactly

Hughes_GOAT
03-17-2009, 04:27 AM
BJ has other things in his complaint so we'll see where that goes but Nurse is getting schooled.

Neezar
03-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Do you think Jackson is worried about what George and his people will say? :unsure-1:

The March 17 meeting promises no resolution to the matter, but it will be the first public review of the polarizing situation.

Jackson hasn’t been summoned to speak by St. Pierre or his representatives – though St. Pierre’s camp plans on giving a “presentation” for the committee – but he’s going anyway. As a trainer to MMA stars, reputation is everything, and he intends on defending his camp.

“Just say what I’ve always said, basically,” he told MMAWeekly.com of his plan (http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=3022). “There was no intent there to cheat. I’ve never cheated on a fight in my life.
“I work really hard. I’m not too smart, so I’ve really got to work hard at it. Put game plans together, get these guys prepared, work with these other coaches. Do all this other stuff, and just to say I’m going to throw all that out the window and grease somebody is not right.”

The trainer still doesn’t have any ill will towards Penn, despite accusations levied at Jackson, Nurse, and St. Pierre that they conspired to “grease” St. Pierre in the much-hyped rematch.

“I really like BJ Penn, I think he’s an amazing fighter,” Jackson continued (http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=3022). “I’m sorry it’s come to a formal complaint, but I’ll just defend myself the way I will. But I have nothing against BJ or his camp.”

Looking back at the incident, Jackson says he doesn’t have any regrets about what happened that night.

“It is what it is,” he said. “You can’t really regret something you didn’t do.”

He will, however, do his part to speak his truth when the regulatory body meets.

atomdanger
03-17-2009, 04:44 AM
“You can’t really regret something you didn’t do.”
-greg jackson

I hope he says that as they play the tape.

billythekid2000
03-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Phil Nurse gets fined a few thousand dollars, the fight does not get changed to a NC, BJ cries some more, his lawyers file an appeal, NSAC throws the appeal down the toilet, BJ cries some more...

Chuck
03-17-2009, 04:50 AM
“You can’t really regret something you didn’t do.”
-greg jackson

I hope he says that as they play the tape.

Man your hate and bias runs deep Atom...

What tape of Jackson are you referring to?

Do you love BJ that much or hate GSP that much????:mellow:

lc87
03-17-2009, 05:01 AM
His prints might not be on the vasaline jar but as head trainer he should be responsible for his teams actions. So he is guilty in that regard. But if puts gsp and nurse out to dry he might get away clean

Neezar
03-17-2009, 05:05 AM
'No Contest' Unlikely in GSP-Penn Dispute
From Sherdog :scared0011:

Those looking for fireworks at the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s hearing on Tuesday to review allegations of greasing misconduct during the UFC welterweight title bout between Georges St. Pierre (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Georges-St.-Pierre-3500) and B.J. Penn (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/B.J.-Penn-1307) might be disappointed.

The bout, which saw St. Pierre triumph after four rounds via a technical knockout at UFC 94 on Jan. 31, couldn’t be altered to a “no contest,” nor could any of the alleged figures be suspended on Tuesday without further proceedings, said NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer.

St. Pierre’s two cornermen, Phil Nurse and Greg Jackson, have been accused of improperly applying Vaseline to the fighter’s shoulders and back after the one-minute break between the first and second round of his championship contest on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas. A NSAC official was the first one to bring the questionable behavior to Kizer’s attention at cageside.

Penn’s camp added fuel to the fire last Monday when the Hawaiian’s attorney filed a 20-page complaint with the commission requesting that St. Pierre and “co-conspirator” cornermen Nurse and Jackson have their licenses suspended or revoked, and that the three be fined. The complaint followed an inquiry letter submitted by Penn’s attorneys on Feb. 3, while St. Pierre’s camp responded to the allegations via letter on Feb. 26.

However, Penn’s recent complaint, which was written in a legal style similar to a lawsuit, will not serve to stimulate any formal disciplinary proceedings on Tuesday against the accused trio, said Kizer.

Kizer said Penn and his representatives have no authority to file a disciplinary complaint against a fellow combatant per Nevada’s statutes.

“That’s my job,” said Kizer. “You can complain to me, small ‘c,’ and then it’s up to me as the executive director whether I’ll file a disciplinary complaint. I explained that to [Penn’s attorney] many times and I thought he understood.”

Kizer, who began his own inquiry into the bout’s between-round behavior the night of the fight, said he hasn’t and doesn’t plan to file a complaint against St. Pierre and his camp at this time. Kizer added that Penn’s camp would have to provide hard evidence to support their allegations that St. Pierre and his camp conspired to cheat, in order to sway the executive director.

Kizer, who became the NSAC’s executive director in April 2006, has filed only one other non-drug related complaint against a mixed martial artist during his tenure. In August 2007, Kizer filed a disciplinary complaint against Renato “Babalu” Sobral (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Renato-Sobral-274) for not responding to the referee’s instruction to release a choke during his fight against David Heath (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/David-Heath-11483) at UFC 74. The Brazilian was subsequently fined his win bonus, which was $25,000. Sobral was not suspended.

Kizer said a commission member could step down from the judicial branch of the board and prosecute a case themselves, although that has rarely taken place.

The five-member commission will receive copies of Penn’s complaint, as well as the two separate documents previously submitted, said Kizer, only with respect to what is on the commission’s Tuesday agenda, which is to review the fight.

Upon review of the documents on Tuesday, Kizer said a commission member could move to suggest disciplinary action, which would set the wheels in motion for a disciplinary hearing at a later date.

Kizer said it his interpretation that Nevada statutes currently don’t support the commission having the jurisdiction to adjust the results of the bout to a “no contest” given the specific circumstances. Kizer said a bout can only be ruled a “no contest” on four different occasions: the scorecards were added incorrectly, collusion occurred (where a referee was paid off), the referee misinterpreted a rule that effected the outcome, or there was the use of non-approved drugs or steroids.

“The main thing here [for Tuesday’s hearing] is let’s see what happened in the fight and let’s find out what happened from Phil [Nurse] and Greg [Jackson], what happened and why it happened, “ said Kizer. “Secondly, let’s figure out a way to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Now whether it goes beyond that is up to the commissioners -- and it may or may not.”

Kizer’s expectations are a bit tamer though.

“What I see happening is something along these lines: a very strict warning to Phil, a warning to everybody that there’s no place for this, and maybe something [determined] along the lines that every corner can have one designated Vaseline guy and that guy can not touch the fighter anywhere else on his body, except for his face, until the end of the fight,” said Kizer.

Neezar
03-17-2009, 05:06 AM
His prints might not be on the vasaline jar but as head trainer he should be responsible for his teams actions. So he is guilty in that regard. But if puts gsp and nurse out to dry he might get away clean

I was thinking more along the lines of GSP hanging Jackson out to dry. :ninja:

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 05:06 AM
I thought some of you had mentioned when this blew up that other fighters from Jackson's camp had been suspected of greasing.

If so, doesn't it make this a "pattern" for fighters under Jackson? :unsure-1:

It doesn't sound like he's too concerned that anything is going to come of this investigation.

Chuck
03-17-2009, 05:14 AM
I thought some of you had mentioned when this blew up that other fighters from Jackson's camp had been suspected of greasing.

If so, doesn't it make this a "pattern" for fighters under Jackson? :unsure-1:

It doesn't sound like he's too concerned that anything is going to come of this investigation.

Yeah it's called being innocent... it kinda takes away all that unneccessary concern :Whistle:

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Yeah it's called being innocent... it kinda takes away all that unneccessary concern :Whistle:

Well, if this was in a court of law, I'd say, "You know what they say, Chuck, there's a difference between being found "not guilty" and being "innocent"." But we're not...

I think everybody on opposite sides of this thing are going to eventually have to do what my twin sister and I do when we find ourselves in such a position...

"agree to disagree" and let it drop so we can move on...as friends. :wink:

What do you think of the chances of that happening here, sweet pea? :Whistle:

Chuck
03-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Well, if this was in a court of law, I'd say, "You know what they say, Chuck, there's a difference between being found "not guilty" and being "innocent"." But we're not...

I think everybody on opposite sides of this thing are going to eventually have to do what my twin sister and I do when we find ourselves in such a position...

"agree to disagree" and let it drop so we can move on...as friends. :wink:

What do you think of the chances of that happening here, sweet pea? :Whistle:

Darlin is this your first time on the internet?????? :D

Neezar
03-17-2009, 05:58 AM
Kizer’s expectations are a bit tamer though.

“What I see happening is something along these lines: a very strict warning to Phil, a warning to everybody that there’s no place for this, and maybe something [determined] along the lines that every corner can have one designated Vaseline guy and that guy can not touch the fighter anywhere else on his body, except for his face, until the end of the fight,” said Kizer.

Somebody needs to call Kizer. Is this going to be enough to give people closure? We really need closure.

Neezar
03-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Calm down, Tiger. :laugh:

Chuck
03-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Somebody needs to call Kizer. Is this going to be enough to give people closure? We really need closure.

I think it will be closure for the GSP fans....

there is no such thing as closure for BJ fans.... They are like the Energizier bunny...

they just whining and whining and whining.... :D

:tongue0011:

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 06:22 AM

Denise obviously understands what you mean, I don't? :unsure-1:

Are you calling me a "babe in the woods"? :huh:

Chuck
03-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Denise obviously understands what you mean, I don't? :unsure-1:

Are you calling me a "babe in the woods"? :huh:

Perhaps :laugh:

I was just having a little fun with your "optomistic" goal of everybody just agreeing to disagree...

I'm fine with it but that's not the way the 'net normally works :)

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Perhaps :laugh:

I was just having a little fun with your "optomistic" goal of everybody just agreeing to disagree...

I'm fine with it but that's not the way the 'net normally works :)

Just call me Pollyanna. :tongue0011:

Crisco
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Nothing will happen at all.

Some rule changes MAYBE but that is it.

It's time to move on and have GSP defend the title again. BJ Penn has this strange habit of always being involved with holding up title contention either by leaving the org, going up in weight, or filing complaints lol.

The dude is a cancer for Title belts.

matthughesfan21
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM

It's time to move on and have GSP defend the title again. BJ Penn has this strange habit of always being involved with holding up title contention either by leaving the org, going up in weight, or filing complaints lol.

The dude is a cancer for Title belts as well as morals and sportsmanship.
fixed it, its more accurate now-

Neezar
03-17-2009, 02:01 PM

The dude is a cancer for Title belts.

Okay, but people will be more interested in his body moisture than his techniques when he fights.

:laugh:

Crisco
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
lol I disagree. GSP is exciting to watch. Alves and GSP is a fight I have been waiting for. Two oversized weltherweights colliding.

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
lol I disagree. GSP is exciting to watch. Alves and GSP is a fight I have been waiting for. Two oversized weltherweights colliding.

I agree it will be interesting to watch these two, but for me, it will be the same as with GSP and Penn--didn't want either one to have the belt. I'm not excited about Alves getting the belt, but it would be fun watching GSP's face if/when he loses it. I think he'll look like this :sick: !

(Chuck, honest, I'm not a "hater" :laugh: , just not a fan of these three fighters--GSP, Penn or Alves.) :cool:

Crisco
03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
There is not a single fighter in the WW division that can live up to the example that Matt was as champion.

I really want Dustin Hazelette to reach the elite level eventually that guy is awesome and I really love watching him fight.

Chuck
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I agree it will be interesting to watch these two, but for me, it will be the same as with GSP and Penn--didn't want either one to have the belt. I'm not excited about Alves getting the belt, but it would be fun watching GSP's face if/when he loses it. I think he'll look like this :sick: !

(Chuck, honest, I'm not a "hater" :laugh: , just not a fan of these three fighters--GSP, Penn or Alves.) :cool:

LOL... Sure Bonnie!!! :D

I'm surprised your list is so short!! I am a fan of BJ... okay, maybe not a fan but definitely not a hater. He has great skills and when he's in shape he's amazing to watch... but his work ethic and attitude are questionable at best.

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL... Sure Bonnie!!! :D

I'm surprised your list is so short!! I am a fan of BJ... okay, maybe not a fan but definitely not a hater. He has great skills and when he's in shape he's amazing to watch... but his work ethic and attitude are questionable at best.

Well, those three are the ones in the spotlight right now so...

I do appreciate each of their skills. I just don't care for other things about them that sometimes overshadow those skills. :cool:

TDPARKASH
03-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I agree with your earlier comment about other fighters should now speak up to the commission. I realize Matt, and other fighters had felt that he 'was slippery', but i think that is an intergral part of their investigation. Like i have said before, this wall all boil down to INTENT. If other fighters can show through previous tapes of GSP's fights that this a reoccuring theme, then you can really question the INTENT. Without that, I don't know what BJ really has to go by.............

On a side note, from someone who used to admire BJ a lot...............I think the "alleged tablet used to sweat" thing is ridicilous and he should really evaluate on how he is portraying himself. I know, that all BJ fans were dissapointed when they read that, I definitely was.

Well, those three are the ones in the spotlight right now so...

I do appreciate each of their skills. I just don't care for other things about them that sometimes overshadow those skills. :cool:

rockdawg21
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think anything will happen and it will make BJ just look like a baby again. Of course, I'm sure he's already used to the reputation.

Josh
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
There is not a single fighter in the WW division that can live up to the example that Matt was as champion.

I really want Dustin Hazelette to reach the elite level eventually that guy is awesome and I really love watching him fight.
So i'm not the only one. That guy is so cool and I love his style. I would rather watch a sweet sub than a KO any day. If Matt retires than I would be content with Dustin or GSP being the belt holders for a while. I don't know if Dustin is big enough though. I really like Fitch too though but I don't know if he could beat GSP.

rearnakedchoke
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Didn't Penn want to shower with GSP before every fight and degrease him? Something like that .. found it kinda weird, but to each his own ...

VCURamFan
03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Didn't Michelle want to shower with GSP before every fight and degrease him? Something like that .. found it kinda weird, but to each her own ...Fixed. :Whistle:

rearnakedchoke
03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Fixed. :Whistle:

LOL ... But he may not be able to "andle er riddum"

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 07:54 PM
However, Penn’s recent complaint, which was written in a legal style similar to a lawsuit, will not serve to stimulate any formal disciplinary proceedings on Tuesday against the accused trio, said Kizer.

Kizer said Penn and his representatives have no authority to file a disciplinary complaint against a fellow combatant per Nevada’s statutes.

“That’s my job,” said Kizer. “You can complain to me, small ‘c,’ and then it’s up to me as the executive director whether I’ll file a disciplinary complaint. I explained that to [Penn’s attorney] many times and I thought he understood.”

Kizer said a commission member could step down from the judicial branch of the board and prosecute a case themselves, although that has rarely taken place.

The five-member commission will receive copies of Penn’s complaint, as well as the two separate documents previously submitted,

Upon review of the documents on Tuesday, Kizer said a commission member could move to suggest disciplinary action, which would set the wheels in motion for a disciplinary hearing at a later date.

Now whether it goes beyond that is up to the commissioners -- and it may or may not.”
:laugh: He has a point. What he's saying is "NSAC do civil disciplinaries, therefore the prosecution MUST be the insitution that acts as Judge." In essence its up to the NSAC to prosecute Georges or not, they are the insitution, not Penn, Penn cant do a three way, because NSAC dont do criminal disciplinaries...they do Civil disciplinaries.

Hey guys...if they wanted to have cooked Georges themselves...they would have done so by now....you didnt see CSAC waited three months before presecuting Sherk and Franca whilst they decided whether to file charges did you :laugh:

I LIKE Kizer :ninja: Now we know more about why Renato Sobral was released. He was prosecuted by the NSAC. GOOD for Kizer!

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 07:58 PM
are you calling them...obease :blink: :blink:

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL ... But he may not be able to "andle er riddum"
:laugh: :laugh:

Crisco
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
are you calling them...obease :blink: :blink:

No not obese.

Genetic giants

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
No not obese.

Genetic giants

Maybe for 170! They should both be fighting at 185 I think! Like someone (very knowledgable) told me recently when I asked about this, they'd rather cut and come down to 170 where they are still bigger than their opponent.

I don't know what GSP or Alves walk around at normally. Maybe GSP stays close to 170 all the time, but I bet Alves tops 200 or close to it and then cuts to get to 170 (well sometimes he makes it :laugh: ).

que
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
GSP said he weighed 187-188lbs when he fought penn in the rematch so i assume he walks around at least 190

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 09:43 PM

I knew his name sounded familiar; I think I've seen him once so far. Is he kinda tall, thin and looks like a hillbilly?

If he is the one I'm thinking about, he was pretty good the one time I saw him fight.

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 09:43 PM
(well sometimes he makes it :laugh: ).

Not often enough for a title shot IMHO :angry:

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
GSP said he weighed 187-188lbs when he fought penn in the rematch so i assume he walks around at least 190

They gain that much back after the weigh in with fluids? :unsure-1: I always wondered why they don't weigh them right before they go out to fight and make them fight at the "true" weight for that division. Then we could really see what they have/what they're made of and it would be more of a true contest. You think? :unsure-1:

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM

Not often enough for a title shot IMHO :angry:

I'm with you, sweet pea! I think they shoulda kicked him to the curb when he didn't make weight for his fight with Matt. And then he gives that pathetic excuse, "I hurt my widdle iddle ankle." What BS! And then, after, he's begging Dana for a title shot! Arrgggg! :punch:

rearnakedchoke
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
hahaha .. penn brought his mommy to speak for him today at the hearings ... LOL ... at least he lives up to his cry baby status ... i heard he also used the my daddy can beat up your daddy routine .... LOL
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/penn-nurse-jackson-testify-before-nsac-16621

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm with you, sweet pea! I think they shoulda kicked him to the curb when he didn't make weight for his fight with Matt. And then he gives that pathetic excuse, "I hurt my widdle iddle ankle." What BS! And then, after, he's begging Dana for a title shot! Arrgggg! :punch:
:angry: makes ya mad, dont it :frantics:

They dont just gain the weight back with fluids, they eat aswell. The thing about it is Bonnie, that actually cutting weight isnt strictly a healthy thing to do. If they cut and then fought right away they wouldnt be full strength and might damage more easy. Because of weight brackets, they all have to either cut or gain weight. They cut, because it makes them big for their bracket...and usually it refines their natural physique slightly. If they gained they would be small for the next category up, so they drop, thus being big for the category beneith

unless your like Jens Pulver where they didnt actually have a weight bracket for someone your weight...so you have to make your self weigh more.

Neezar
03-18-2009, 03:06 AM
GSP didn't show up when he heard BJ was bringing his Momma!

NateR
03-18-2009, 04:56 AM
No not obese.

Genetic giants

Yeah, "genetics," I'm sure that's what that is.:Whistle:

matthughesfan21
03-18-2009, 04:58 AM
I knew his name sounded familiar; I think I've seen him once so far. Is he kinda tall, thin and looks like a hillbilly?

If he is the one I'm thinking about, he was pretty good the one time I saw him fight.he was the man who put on this awesome armbar on josh burkman

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2600473035_1ac60fbf5b_o.gif

Bonnie
03-18-2009, 05:12 AM
he was the man who put on this awesome armbar on josh burkman

Yeah, that's him! He is pretty exciting to watch!

Thank you for the vid to show me. :)

Bonnie
03-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Yeah, "genetics," I'm sure that's what that is.:Whistle:

County Mike
03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
he was the man who put on this awesome armbar on josh burkman

That was a sweet transition to armbar. I'll have to give that one a try tonight.

Llamafighter
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Here's the article from sh@#dog for those who don't want to go to the page...
The Nevada State Athletic Commission listened intently Tuesday to more than two hours of testimony surrounding allegations of greasing misconduct during the UFC welterweight title bout between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn. In the end, the NSAC came no closer to filing a formal disciplinary complaint against any licensees involved in the case.

Penn and his attorney, Raffi Nahabedian, both spoke before the commission. The five-member board reviewed the circumstances surrounding accusations that St. Pierre’s two cornermen, Phil Nurse and Greg Jackson, had improperly applied Vaseline to the fighter’s shoulders and back after the one-minute break between the first and second rounds of their Jan. 31 contest at UFC 94 in Las Vegas.

Cornermen are allowed to spread Vaseline on a fighter’s facial area surrounding the eyes under commission observation between rounds. St. Pierre, Jackson and Nurse have publicly denied the allegations, stating that the hand placement had been part of a breathing technique originated by holistic therapist Dr. Steven Friend. Friend has worked with former UFC champions Matt Hughes, Randy Couture and Sean Sherk as well.

Nurse and Jackson also addressed the commission per the regulatory body’s request. Marc Ratner, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, and Michael Mersch, the promotion’s counsel, were also in attendance but did not speak, along with St. Pierre’s manager, Shari Spencer. Penn’s mother, Lorraine Shin, also read a statement on her son’s behalf.

Commission members in attendance, as well as two members who attended the meeting via teleconference, simultaneously reviewed a videotape of the round one and two corner breaks, with Kizer narrating Nurse’s activity.

“I’m sorry that it’s come to all of this,” said Nurse, a 14-year veteran muay Thai trainer who has cornered four of St. Pierre’s fights. “I would never do anything to try and change a fight other than the fight to be straight how it’s supposed to be.”

Nurse conceded to the commission that his actions looked suspect on-camera, but he steadfastly held to his statements that his actions were a part of the breathing technique he’d been instructed to perform on St. Pierre.

When asked why he didn’t wipe his hands clean before touching St. Pierre’s body, Nurse said it didn’t cross his mind that he needed to as he was racing to relax and prepare the fighter for the next round.

Nurse said a last-minute decision made en-route to the cage led to his handling of the Vaseline duties, and if given the opportunity, he would prefer not to administer the breathing technique and the Vaseline application at the same time.

“In hindsight, I probably should have done the Vaseline if [Nurse] was going to do the energy technique,” said Jackson, St. Pierre’s central coach and cornerman. Jackson said he would not be taking Vaseline into the corner in future fights.

Both trainers said they would be comfortable with any decision made by the regulatory body to either not allow cornermen to handle the lubricant in favor of a promotion-hired cutman or designate one cornerman to handle the application without any additional duties.

Nahabedian, Penn’s attorney, questioned the commission’s review of the case, in particular with the video that had been provided by NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer.

“You guys witnessed today what I consider to be prejudicial footage,” said Nahabedian. “It doesn’t show what happened during the second round after the representative of the commission said to Mr. Kizer, ‘I think I saw him putting grease on his body.’ If you watch the second round, you’ll notice the effect that that grease had on the body.”

Nahabedian produced his own videotape of the bout, which he said also included footage of the actual contest and the alleged Vaseline’s effect on Penn’s performance, as well as alternate angles and backstage footage supporting his client’s stance. The NSAC agreed to distribute and review Nahabedian’s tape at a later time.

In his oral presentation, Nahabedian also suggested numerous techniques in which a fighter could grease his body, including baby oil baths and the application of “a powder substance” that becomes greasy upon contact with sweat. Nahabedian suggested the commission might swab an athlete’s body before and after a bout to test it for foreign, and possibly non-approved substances, which might create an unfair advantage.

Nahabedian also mentioned alleged statements made by Matt Hughes and Jason “Mayhem” Miller, both past opponents of St. Pierre, attesting to the Canadian’s slippery skin. Nahabedian did not produce written affidavits but said Miller’s statement was included in the videotape.

Nahabedian and Penn both criticized St. Pierre for not attending Tuesday’s hearing. Later, St. Pierre’s attorney, Steve Pacitti, stated that the Canadian fighter had not been asked to attend.

The commission questioned why Penn hadn’t alerted the referee to St. Pierre’s slick body. Penn said he suffered a concussion during the bout and hadn’t remembered much past the second round. Penn told commissioners his mind had been focused on winning the bout.

Jason Parillo, Penn’s boxing coach, told the commission he had been approached by an individual some time before the bout regarding St. Pierre’s alleged use of a substance that created a slippery advantage. That individual was later identified as David Weintraub, a freelance videographer hired by the UFC over the last few years to capture backstage footage.

The Commission did not respond to Nahabedian’s requests for the state agency to consider the Vaseline allegations under the same statutes that regulate illegal steroid and non-approved drug use, nor did any member suggest a form of disciplinary action be set in motion against the accused trio.

Penn said he’d wished the commission had “walked across the Octagon” and warned him and his corner of their findings, so he could have adjusted his strategy during the fight.

“I really think we could have made a correct judgment of how to move forward from there,” said Penn.

In closing, Penn turned to St. Pierre again and questioned his integrity.

“I don’t know how anyone would want to be the world champion with a belt around their waist that cheated to get there,” said Penn. “It just doesn’t make sense to me.”

With Greg Savage reporting from Las Vegas.

Tyburn
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
GSP didn't show up when he heard BJ was bringing his Momma!
:laugh: GSP wasnt invited apparently :blink:

rearnakedchoke
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
:laugh: GSP wasnt invited apparently :blink:

why should he bother .. if he was required to be there, he would have been .. he is training for a fight .. why take time and money to fly to vegas just to listen to some baby and his momma whine ... apparently he wants a rematch, which is funny, cuz he knows he won't get one anytime soon which is the real reason he is asking for it ... he knows he will get embarrassed again ...

Tyburn
03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
why should he bother .. if he was required to be there, .
Thats because it categorically wasnt a Disciplinary, it was simply a review and aacceptance of Penns complaint.

Still...funny that GSP wasnt there... :laugh:

Crisco
03-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I know this is not the point but do any of his think he could have won that fight sans vaseline?

I just saw him completely and utterly dominated in every way.. I'm thinking that is why I'm not as upset about the whole thing because of how bad BJ was destroyed.

I don't see vaseline playing any difference in the fight... Is there anyone that thinks BJ could fight GSP again and win?

Miss Foxy
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I know this is not the point but do any of his think he could have won that fight sans vaseline?

I just saw him completely and utterly dominated in every way.. I'm thinking that is why I'm not as upset about the whole thing because of how bad BJ was destroyed.

I don't see vaseline playing any difference in the fight... Is there anyone that thinks BJ could fight GSP again and win?
I would hate to admit it, but I don't think he could win. BJ looks very outta shape and just sucks. If he were to stand a chance he would need to train for a minimal year in my opinion. He just can't perform like he used to.:scared0011:

Crisco
03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I would hate to admit it, but I don't think he could win. BJ looks very outta shape and just sucks. If he were to stand a chance he would need to train for a minimal year in my opinion. He just can't perform like he used to.:scared0011:

The problem was the size advantage. BJ is forced to be in shape at 155.

He should stay there and cut the crap.

Miss Foxy
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Well put Chuck!! :) See we agree on something!! WOW!!!

Crisco
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Did you mean Chuck or did you mean me?

Miss Foxy
03-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Dang sorry Crisco! lol.. Good thing I am not a man getting my gals wrong! lol. Sorry pulling a way early shift today:unsure-1:

Chuck
03-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Damn!!! We were so close too!!! Crisco's better looking... I'm taller.... easy to get us mixed up!

But I type better :D

Chuck
03-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Jerk.

Crisco
03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Damn!!! We were so close too!!! Crisco's better looking... I'm taller.... easy to get us mixed up!

But I type better :D

You do type better...

I'm a much better speaker then I am writer.

You can have her Chuck she is nice but I'm spoken for =)

(Of course your married so unless you want your wife to stab you I suggest you concede to Ben and let him haveh er)

atomdanger
03-18-2009, 07:47 PM

I will ask you the same question, but in every case of steroid use,
often they were one sided fights anyway.

Crisco
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I will ask you the same question, but in every case of steroid use,
often they were one sided fights anyway.

Give me a specific fight and I will tell you if they made a difference.

atomdanger
03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Give me a specific fight and I will tell you if they made a difference.

You missed the point.

Its impossible to tell if it made a difference, its a matter of opinion,
not fact.

Max
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
BJ looks very outta shape and just sucks. If he were to stand a chance he would need to train for a minimal year in my opinion. He just can't perform like he used to.:scared0011:
Ok first off BJ was giving up close to 20 pounds of muscle in that fight and GSP still had a hard time taking him down in the first round (he even tried to grab BJ's shorts to get the takedown). Second BJ lasted longer than both Serra and Hughes did against GSP and I bet he lasted longer than Alves will against GSP as well. Third, BJ is still the best lightweight in the world and one of only 2 men to ever hold a belt in 2 different UFC weight divisions. He has not lost anything, in fact he is better now than he has ever been.

Hughes_GOAT
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Ok first off BJ was giving up close to 20 pounds of muscle in that fight and GSP still had a hard time taking him down in the first round (he even tried to grab BJ's shorts to get the takedown). Second BJ lasted longer than both Serra and Hughes did against GSP and I bet he lasted longer than Alves will against GSP as well. Third, BJ is still the best lightweight in the world and one of only 2 men to ever hold a belt in 2 different UFC weight divisions. He has not lost anything, in fact he is better now than he has ever been.

yep

let's see GSP move up a weight class and win the title....

Bonnie
03-19-2009, 02:05 AM

?

Why has BJ looked so out of shape (not very muscular) when he's come up to 170; it's just a 15 lb difference from 155. Why do you say he was giving up to 20 lbs of muscle in his fight with GSP. Do you mean that's what GSP had over him? :unsure-1:

Hughes_GOAT
03-19-2009, 02:10 AM
?

Why has BJ looked so out of shape (not very muscular) when he's come up to 170; it's just a 15 lb difference from 155. Why do you say he was giving up to 20 lbs of muscle in his fight with GSP. Do you mean that's what GSP had over him? :unsure-1:

GSP has maybe 5% body fat...Penn has about 20%. when you drop 15% for Penn to GSP's level, Penn is way lighter, with way less muscle mass. basically, Penn is fat and water and GSP is just pure muscle and Vaseline.

Chuck
03-19-2009, 04:40 AM
You do type better...

(Of course your married so unless you want your wife to stab you I suggest you concede to Ben and let him have her)

Done.

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 04:48 AM
That was a sweet transition to armbar. I'll have to give that one a try tonight.Mike, I don't think thats what Kelli meant when she said she wanted to try new things :Whistle: :ninja:

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 04:49 AM
You do type better...

(Of course your married so unless you want your wife to stab you I suggest you concede to Ben and let him haveh er)what about me?:cry:

Chuck
03-19-2009, 05:18 AM
what about me?:cry:

Pick a half?????

matthughesfan21
03-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Pick a half?????

:laugh::scared0011: