PDA

View Full Version : VA Hospital Pulls "Japs Surrender" Headline From Historical Display

Hughes_GOAT
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=44832

VCURamFan
03-16-2009, 06:09 AM
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=44832That's bull$h!t. You don't go through classic novels & re-write them just because they've got mean words in them & you don't hide the truth about history. If we had to hide everything that was offensive about the past, then we'd never talk about the Trail of Tears or the Holocaust or read Huck Finn.

Hughes_GOAT
03-16-2009, 06:52 AM
That's bull$h!t. You don't go through classic novels & re-write them just because they've got mean words in them & you don't hide the truth about history. If we had to hide everything that was offensive about the past, then we'd never talk about the Trail of Tears or the Holocaust or read Huck Finn.

just don't say Scots, Brits, Paki's, Ausies :laugh:

NateR
03-16-2009, 08:59 AM
So, did any Japanese people actually complain? Or did they just assume it was offending people? But it makes sense, I guess, why risk the remote possibility of offending one or two overly-sensitive Japs, when you can take it down and guarantee offending thousands of American veterans? :rolleyes:

I guess nowadays using a racial slur is worse that carrying out a suprise attack on a military base and killing over 2000 people. Politically correct idiots! :angry:

TexasRN
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
One of the big classes we have to go through at all hospitals is "Culture and Diversity". I think it's required by our inspection entities. As soon as someone isn't perfectly PC, we have a new class.

~Amy

Llamafighter
03-16-2009, 12:31 PM
So, did any Japanese people actually complain? Or did they just assume it was offending people? But it makes sense, I guess, why risk the remote possibility of offending one or two overly-sensitive Japs, when you can take it down and guarantee offending thousands of American veterans? :rolleyes:

I guess nowadays using a racial slur is worse that carrying out a suprise attack on a military base and killing over 2000 people. Politically correct idiots! :angry:

Very true!

Crisco
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Anyone else remember that huge arguement I had with someone about this subject.

I can't remember who it was might have been Brian or Moose.

They insisted that saying Jap was worse then saying Brit... Didn't really make sense to me...

So he continued to blather his PC crap and I just couldn't be bothered.

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 01:52 PM
That's a bunch of crap. I saw a SNL skit where Chevy Chase was called a "honky" by Richard Pryor, maybe I should complain that they edit the sound or never show the episode again. Big deal.

Llamafighter
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM

They insisted that saying Jap was worse then saying Brit... Didn't really make sense to me...

I remember that! Can't remember who all got involved. I think I called you a racist, but to be fair I call everyone a racist.

racists!

MattHughesRocks
03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe it's a sign that people need to MOVE ON. What your doing is no different then someone sitting around feeling sorry for themselves because there ansecters were in concentration camps or slaves.

Crisco
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
JAP-anese

See what I did there?

/end thread

Neezar
03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
JAP-anese

See what I did there?

/end thread

Sorry, Crisco. But I can't let you do that. You Yanks think you control everything!

:laugh:

Llamafighter
03-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Maybe it's a sign that people need to MOVE ON. What your doing is no different then someone sitting around feeling sorry for themselves because there ansecters were in concentration camps or slaves.
Oh come on! sound it out for goodness sake:laugh:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I have a friend from California and it is not about blacks and whites out there. It is all about the Chinks. She will go off on anyone who says anything remotely biased or racist towards black people. We were out in California one time and something set her off (I don't remember what) but she come out with a string of "*((*&(*&( f'n chinks. (**^&%^&*%(* chinks *&*&((( yellow *(&(&&' And she went on and on. I was like :scared0015: . She saw absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

:rolleyes:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh come on! sound it outf or goodness sake:laugh:

Or space it out. Whichever works for you.

Llamafighter
03-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Or space it out. Whichever works for you.

no idea what you're talking about:Whistle:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 02:53 PM
That's racist. Jeeze, where's your sensitivity there whitey? :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM
They could at least sell it on eBay. I'm sure somebody would be willing to pay $100,000 for the newspaper, it's a heck of a collector's item for WWII Memorabilia.

MattHughesRocks
03-16-2009, 02:58 PM

That's racist. Jeeze, where's your sensitivity there whitey? :tongue0011:

Crisco
03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Honkies

Chuck
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I have a friend from California and it is not about blacks and whites out there. It is all about the C-word. She will go off on anyone who says anything remotely biased or racist towards black people. We were out in California one time and something set her off (I don't remember what) but she come out with a string of "*((*&(*&( f'n c-word. (**^&%^&*%(* c-word *&*&((( yellow *(&(&&' And she went on and on. I was like :scared0015: . She saw absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

:rolleyes:

Fixed.....

ya racist!

Chuck
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm hoping this is some of that blatantly sarcastic humor agian and I'm just missing it... :blink:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure it isn't a bad idea to remove the paper if it is offensive. :unsure-1:

We were forced to remove the Ten Commandments monument from one of our courthouses here in Alabama. In the Bible Belt, for goodness sakes! :angry:

And, I never figured out how our courthouse here in our county gets away with it but I bet they are still there (haven't been there in a few years). Our courthouse has framed newspaper articles all over the main corrider walls. Every floor all the way up to the eighth floor. Most of them are about lynching, mobs, murders of blacks on whites, whites on blacks, etc. These are the very walls that you pass going to a courtroom that is supposed to be full of fairness and justice. I was always surprised that they weren't made to take them down.:unsure-1:

Crisco
03-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure it isn't a bad idea to remove the paper if it is offensive. :unsure-1:

We were forced to remove the Ten Commandments monument from one of our courthouses here in Alabama. In the Bible Belt, for goodness sakes! :angry:

And, I never figured out how our courthouse here in our county gets away with it but I bet they are still there (haven't been there in a few years). Our courthouse has framed newspaper articles all over the main corrider walls. Every floor all the way up to the eighth floor. Most of them are about lynching, mobs, murders of blacks on whites, whites on blacks, etc. These are the very walls that you pass going to a courtroom that is supposed to be full of fairness and justice. I was always surprised that they weren't made to take them down.:unsure-1:

That seems a bit different then a newspaper saying japs surrender lol

VCURamFan
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Fixed.....

ya racist!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRK5rU1ZPJc

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
You crackers are racist.

Neezar
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM

I want everyone to go back to being pissed about this, please. :angry:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
But that makes sense because you probably have 1 Jewish family there and in a Christian-based country, it's incredibly offensive even though they chose to move to a Christian country or rather, believe Jesus isn't the Son of God.

Crisco
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
We lost the

"This is a Christian nation" arguement a long time ago. We can scream it till we are blue in the face but most of the government just doesn't quite see it the way we do anymore.

Neezar
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I miss the days when people wanted to move to America to become an American!

Neezar
03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
The judge that put the Ten Commandments monument there refused to move them. He lost his job over it. The Federal Government came in with armed guards and removed them. :unsure-1:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
The judge that put the Ten Commandments monument there refused to move them. He lost his job over it. The Federal Government came in with armed guards and removed them. :unsure-1:
That judge rules.

rearnakedchoke
03-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Well, in fairness, the 10 commandments have no place in a courtroom. It has nothing to do with the legal system ... so it should have been removed ..

Crisco
03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, in fairness, the 10 commandments have no place in a courtroom. It has nothing to do with the legal system ... so it should have been removed ..

One could also argue that are entire legal system was based off of them

rearnakedchoke
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
One could also argue that are entire legal system was based off of them

Well than you wouldn't be allowed freedom of religion, adultery would be illegal, the sabbath would have to have been kept sacred and you would have to honour your mom and pops ... the only thing that really comes from the 10 commandents is no killing, theft and slander

Crisco
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Well than you wouldn't be allowed freedom of religion, adultery would be illegal, the sabbath would have to have been kept sacred and you would have to honour your mom and pops ... the only thing that really comes from the 10 commandents is no killing, theft and slander

Adultery is infact illegal. (In many stats including Alabama where I believe the issue began.) Here is a list of where it is illegal.

Alabama
Arizona
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia

Bearing false witness is also illegal.

I said based home slice. Parts fit and parts don't.

Many counties honor the Sabbath day and have laws that close businesses on Sundays

Bonnie
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM

There was a road back home named "JAP Road"; it's been there for decades. But all of a sudden in the 90's, someone started up a ruckus about it. It was named JAP Road because a lot of Japanese families lived on that road. Anyway, I can't remember if they renamed it or not (I'll have to check on that) because of the person(s) complaining about it.

All these things are a part of our history. Yes, a lot of it (flags, newspaper clippings, names of roads, etc...) represent or are reminders of terrible hurtful events, but it is a part of the story of what came before...

I think we can display such things (just like the Holocaust Museum does) that show what happened in history without people being offended. We wouldn't have all the MLK boulevards and such without the events (horrible as they were) that came before.

WWII happened, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, Japanese-Americans were rounded up and put in camps here; slavery happened, the Civil War Happened, lynchings happened...

These things need to be displayed (respectfully) so people can see and read about what happened. Political correctness has it's place, but people (as usual) have overused it and abused it! IMHO

Bonnie
03-16-2009, 06:59 PM

I believe it was outside the courthouse.

This is one of my pet peeves--this business about removing GOD from everything because it "offends" those who choose not to believe. That's their prerogative and they can have it. They don't have to stop and read it. I bet those same people love that money they carry around in their pockets. But I'm sure that will be the next thing for them to get GOD off of! :angry:

These people who want to remove GOD from everything and are using that "religion and government are supposed to be separate" tick me off. This is not what our forefathers intended or meant! They have totally twisted and perverted it. Our forefathers were very wise thoughtful men; they put that in there to protect peoples rights to freedom of religion whatever that religion might be. You know, because of what King George and England used as an excuse to persecute people. People confuse GOD with religion. GOD made man; religion is man-made (at least that's how I see it). And no, I don't mean religion is "made up". I mean that man chooses what religion he believes/practices and that is what our forefathers meant to protect--man's choice(s) and that government is not to interfere in that.

If anyone chooses not to believe in GOD and that we evolved from apes...WHATEVER!

I believe Nathan(?) posted something recently that quoted George Washington speaking about government and religion. It was very good. Maybe he or whoever posted it can post it again. Because I believe GW speaks to the mindset of our forefather's intent regarding this.

GOD BLESS! :)

NateR
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM

You need to study your American history, our ENTIRE legal system was based off of the Bible. GOD was believed to be the source of law, justice and freedom. That's a fact that cannot be denied by anyone, no matter how many revisionist historians publish books claiming otherwise.

NateR
03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I believe Nathan(?) posted something recently that quoted George Washington speaking about government and religion. It was very good. Maybe he or whoever posted it can post it again. Because I believe GW speaks to the mindset of our forefather's intent regarding this.

GOD BLESS! :)

Here you go: :cool:

George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens.

John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (he also presided over the first Continental Congress and co-authored the Federalist Papers), had this to say about religion's place in politics, on October 12th, 1816:

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

Also, people should realize that John Jay was governor of New York state, from 1795-1801, and was also one of the nation's leading anti-slavery crusaders. He eventually emancipated all of New York's slaves by 1799 (his first anti-slavery legislation was written in 1777, only one year after the Declaration of Independence was signed). The only reason I bring this up is that many modern historical commentators like to bring up the fact that our Founding Fathers owned slaves and thus argue that their opinions are outdated by today's standards.

These are the men who risked their lives to build this nation. If they had failed, they would have either been killed on the battlefield or executed by England for treason. The signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 was the point of no return for our Founding Fathers. Thus, I believe that they had a very clear vision as to what kind of nation they were fighting for and it was firmly rooted in the Holy Bible. So you can disagree with this nation being a Christian nation, but you then have to disagree with the original vision of our Founding Fathers.

Bonnie
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Here you go: :cool:

George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Quote:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens.

John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (he also presided over the first Continental Congress and co-authored the Federalist Papers), had this to say about religion's place in politics, on October 12th, 1816:

Quote:
Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

Also, people should realize that John Jay was governor of New York state, from 1795-1801, and was also one of the nation's leading anti-slavery crusaders. He eventually emancipated all of New York's slaves by 1799 (his first anti-slavery legislation was written in 1777, only one year after the Declaration of Independence was signed). The only reason I bring this up is that many modern historical commentators like to bring up the fact that our Founding Fathers owned slaves and thus argue that their opinions are outdated by today's standards.

These are the men who risked their lives to build this nation. If they had failed, they would have either been killed on the battlefield or executed by England for treason. The signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 was the point of no return for our Founding Fathers. Thus, I believe that they had a very clear vision as to what kind of nation they were fighting for and it was firmly rooted in the Holy Bible. So you can disagree with this nation being a Christian nation, but you then have to disagree with the original vision of our Founding Fathers.

Thank you, Nathan. :)

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Why didnt they just put "Japanese Surrender"

I mean...noone is denying they did surrender...right...and the Japanese would be the LAST people to complain about such things. They have respect imbeded in the cultural persona as much as Americans have confidence.

They would never dream of complaining. That would be seen as wholly rude, rudeness from THEM. They are more likely just to quietly ignore it.

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM

Thats because the Brits Marketted themselves as Brits (BRITannia) BRITain, BRITon

The japanese never marketted themselves by a shortened form, therefore it is seen as a slang term. Slang can cause offence...I guess.

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM

because at the time, our govt. and media wasn't a bunch of castrated politcally correct whack jobs, and we didn't give a rats arse what the japs thought, heck we dropped the atomic bomb on them, I don't think we really felt about their feelings:laugh:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
:huh:

Move on from pearl...like...what you should move on from the Civil War...or 9/11???

:scared0015:

These things shouldnt be forgotten...you SHOULDNT move on. :angry:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:28 PM
because at the time, our govt. and media wasn't a bunch of castrated politcally correct whack jobs, and we didn't give a rats arse what the japs thought, heck we dropped the atomic bomb on them, I don't think we really felt about their feelings:laugh:
:rolleyes: I meant...why didnt they just change the one "offending" word...rather then remove the whole thing :rolleyes:

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Move on from pearl...like...what you should move on from the Civil War...or 9/11???

:scared0015:

These things shouldnt be forgotten...you SHOULDNT move on. :angry::sign0011: :happy0159: :party0019:

Bonnie
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM

I mean...noone is denying they did surrender...right...and the Japanese would be the LAST people to complain about such things. They have respect imbeded in the cultural persona as much as Americans have confidence.

They would never dream of complaining. That would be seen as wholly rude, rudeness from THEM. They are more likely just to quietly ignore it.

What's the difference between saying "Japs" or if it had been Britain and read "Brits Surrender"?

Sorry, Dave, I was posting and didn't see what you had said before.

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
One could also argue the fact they were outside of the courthouse so it isn't in the courtroom. Kinda like how they allow the press to be outside of the courthouse, but not inside broadcasting the trial (but, I think that depends by the state?)

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
:rolleyes: I meant...why didnt they just change the one "offending" word...rather then remove the whole thing :rolleyes:then that would just be ruining the whole article anyways, either keep it the way it is or do away with it, changing what it was intended to be to satisfy a small amount of people is even worse imo

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I want to be American :ashamed: ....I wanted to come to Alabama aswell... :mellow:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Where do you think the ethics that guide your rules come from?

outter space or something :laugh:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Because we wanted to report the truth - "Japs Surrender" is far more appropriate :laugh:

Besides, when you're printing thousands of newspapers, that extra 4 letts would be costly!

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
You need to study your American history, our ENTIRE legal system was based off of the Bible. GOD was believed to be the source of law, justice and freedom. That's a fact that cannot be denied by anyone, no matter how many revisionist historians publish books claiming otherwise.
He's Canadian

but you can use the same argument. He's under the Crown, the Crown works under The Divine Right of Kingship...and its been Christian since the Reformation....he just cant remember that far back...we lost our morals...a little while ago...so long infact our own citizens dont relaize their heratage :cry:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Since when does being from Alabama make a person American? Honestly, I can't help but notice the Alabama flag is, well...

http://www.cheapflagswebsite.com/catalog/ConfederateAlabama.JPG

Crisco
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Since when does being from Alabama make a person American? Honestly, I can't help but notice the Alabama flag is, well...

lol

Neezar
03-16-2009, 07:40 PM

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/neezar086/funnies/myspace-graphics-boys-002.gif

Neezar
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM

:scared0011:

I shall get to work on getting that shyte changed! :punch:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
then that would just be ruining the whole article anyways, either keep it the way it is or do away with it, changing what it was intended to be to satisfy a small amount of people is even worse imo

"The funny pacific Islands nation full of funny Oriental people with squashed faces, slit eyes, enourmous cheek bones, and tiny weeny bodies, who sided with Hitler during the war, and whose language sounds like a cross between a chest infection and a cat whose tail is caught in a set of revolving doors" Surrender

:laugh: THAT is ruining the whole artical, not a single word:laugh:

please tell me we dont have an japanese reading this :unsure-1:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM

You missed the point.

She invited me to Alabama in 2006. I decided to travel in 2007.

She changed her mind :angry:

I went to The North instead :laugh:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Hmmm, I never heard that argument during the time it was all going on. The main argument was that the government was trying to force God and/or the belief of God onto people. However, if that was true then I wondered what those same people said about the glass display case with all the different seized homemade crack pipes, etc. at the courthouse. Are they pushing crack? I never heard anyone say a word about that.

lol

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
are you ignoring me now Denise :rolleyes:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
You missed the point.

She invited me to Alabama in 2006. I decided to travel in 2007.

She changed her mind :angry:

I went to The North instead :laugh:

Thank God for that!

Neezar
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
are you ignoring me now Denise :rolleyes:

No, but I doubt that you want to push my buttons today. They are feeling very sensitive.

VCURamFan
03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
No, but I doubt that you want to push my buttons today. They are feeling very sensitive.

:laugh:That's what she said. :Whistle:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM

blessssssssssssssss :laugh:

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM

"The funny pacific Islands nation full of funny Oriental people with squashed faces, slit eyes, enourmous cheek bones, and tiny weeny bodies, who sided with Hitler during the war, and whose language sounds like a cross between a chest infection and a cat whose tail is caught in a set of revolving doors" Surrender::rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Crisco
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM

Wow...:scared0015:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM

"The funny pacific Islands nation full of funny Oriental people with squashed faces, slit eyes, enourmous cheek bones, and tiny weeny bodies, who sided with Hitler during the war, and whose language sounds like a cross between a chest infection and a cat whose tail is caught in a set of revolving doors" Surrender

:laugh: THAT is ruining the whole artical, not a single word:laugh:

please tell me we dont have an japanese reading this :unsure-1:

That is racist.

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
That is racist.
look out people

here comes Little Miss PC :rolleyes:

It was a demonstration Madame Budgie...just a demonstration. :frantics:

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
That is racist.
http://keep-your-fork.com/images/truth.png

Neezar
03-16-2009, 08:27 PM
http://keep-your-fork.com/images/truth.png

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are being corrupted up there!

matthughesfan21
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You are being corrupted up there!
I have thought that way for a while...I am not racist, I don't hate them, but I do look at asians a little differently, I've heard of stories of my gpa fighting in the pacific theatre during wwii, and my other gpa fighting in vietnam...Naturally, from hearing the stories, I see them differently(I know not all of them are like that, but it still is hard not to generalize)

Moose
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
While I yelled at Crisco for using the term "Jap" to describe someone from Japan, I have no problem with displaying the headline JAPS SURRENDER.

Why? Historical context. In the 1940's the media would often shorten the word. Not only that, but it's one of the more momentous happenings of this past century. I'm against discrimination, whether it be against minorities or our past.

Crisco
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
While I yelled at Crisco for using the term "Jap" to describe someone from Japan, I have no problem with displaying the headline JAPS SURRENDER.

Why? Historical context. In the 1940's the media would often shorten the word. Not only that, but it's one of the more momentous happenings of this past century. I'm against discrimination, whether it be against minorities or our past.

Figured it was you Jap lover

Moose
03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Figured it was you Jap lover

I ruv arr things boths chineeeze and uh japaneeze, as rong as dey ar egg nooders!

Me Rikey!

Crisco
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I ruv arr things boths chineeeze and uh japaneeze, as rong as dey ar egg nooders!

Me Rikey!

See now that's racist

Moose
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
See now that's racist

You think that's bad? You should've seen me give the slant eyes with my fingers. :rolleyes:

rockdawg21
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Me Rikey!
Oh, herro prease. Ching chong bing bong.

http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1208/1208_butters_cartman_chinese_outfits.jpg

Moose
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh, herro prease. Ching chong bing bong.

http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/1208/1208_butters_cartman_chinese_outfits.jpg

I am uh a Chinessa too! What is pran to take over Americuh? I forget!

Butters you DO NOT shoot a man in the dick!

VCURamFan
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
You think that's bad? You should've seen me give the slant eyes with my fingers. :rolleyes: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l7fnMOAqhE4/SYohDiY733I/AAAAAAAAAXE/0aklExpCWjQ/s400/0202_miley_cyrus.jpg

NateR
03-17-2009, 02:46 AM

Well, any Japanese person who happens to see that and be offended needs to remember that their people were the aggressors in that war. They were guilty of unbelievable levels of violence and violated just about every human right imaginable. Also, they carried out an unprovoked surprise attack on American troops, killing thousands, and had captured tens of thousands of American soldiers. Our POWs over there were starved, tortured, murdered and subjected to slave labor. So, I think Americans of the time can be forgiven for being a little bit prejudiced towards Japanese people.

Any Japanese who are offended by it today can just MOVE ON and get over it.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. -George Santayana

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Well, any Japanese person who happens to see that and be offended needs to remember that their people were the aggressors in that war. They were guilty of unbelievable levels of violence and violated just about every human right imaginable. Also, they carried out an unprovoked surprise attack on American troops, killing thousands, and had captured tens of thousands of American soldiers. Our POWs over there were starved, tortured, murdered and subjected to slave labor. So, I think Americans of the time can be forgiven for being a little bit prejudiced towards Japanese people.

Yeah, seems like I watched a movie last year about an island we tried to capture but were outnumbered by the Japanese and taken as POWs. The treatment of prisoners was beyond horrible and they were put on slave ships where many of them perished due to the inhumane conditions. I'll try to find what island that was.

NateR
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah, seems like I watched a movie last year about an island we tried to capture but were outnumbered by the Japanese and taken as POWs. The treatment of prisoners was beyond horrible and they were put on slave ships where many of them perished due to the inhumane conditions. I'll try to find what island that was.

It was Bataan. In the opening months of WW2, 75,000 American and Filipino soldiers were surrendered to the Japanese without a fight. Their treatment by the Japanese was so horrific that it's almost unbelievable that human beings would be capable of doing that to each other. The Japanese were nothing short of barbaric. Delighting in torture and human suffering. In fact, if they were to make a movie about the American soldiers' worst experiences while prisoners of the Japanese, no one would believe it was true.

So, with that in mind, who cares if a few modern Japanese are offended because their people were such inhuman bastards in the 1940s?

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 08:17 AM
It was Bataan. In the opening months of WW2, 75,000 American and Filipino soldiers were surrendered to the Japanese without a fight. Their treatment by the Japanese was so horrific that it's almost unbelievable that human beings would be capable of doing that to each other. The Japanese were nothing short of barbaric. Delighting in torture and human suffering. In fact, if they were to make a movie about the American soldiers' worst experiences while prisoners of the Japanese, no one would believe it was true.

So, with that in mind, who cares if a few modern Japanese are offended because their people were such inhuman bastards in the 1940s?

Yes, the Bataan Death March and Camp O'Donnell. It said as many as 600 Americans were killed during the march and less than 2,000 made it out of the camp. As much as they talk about "honor" in regards to themselves, you would never believe it in their treatment of their "surrendered" prisoners. I read where the treatment by the Japanese was worse than that of the Nazis. So that's saying something!

Bonnie
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
The name of the movie I saw was called, "The Great Raid", about the daring rescue and liberation of over 500 Americans from one of the most notorious Japanese prison camps called Cabanatuan. It occurred near the end of WWII in 1945.

Good movie!

County Mike
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Wait! I'm confused.

So the Japs didn't surrender? Is that what the Japs are angry about? They think we're calling them cowards or something?

Crisco
03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Wait! I'm confused.

So the Japs didn't surrender? Is that what the Japs are angry about? They think we're calling them cowards or something?

No their angry that we are calling them japs.

County Mike
03-17-2009, 12:23 PM
No their angry that we are calling them japs.

I think your sarcasm meter is broken today. :)

What are we supposed to call them? Would you be insulted if they called us "Amers" or even "Yanks"? Sensitive people suck. We should be extra mean to them so they toughen up.

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 12:31 PM

unlike the Italians, the Japanese appear to be most embarrised by the war and whose side they were on. Its just another reason why no native from that country is likely to complain.

I wouldnt call it remorse exactly...but I'd definatley say that modern Japanese from my experience are very embarrised over their part to play in Hitlers Evil. Its not something they will forget...remember, out of all the countries, Japan was the only country in History to have come under attack from weapons of mass distruction during direct warfare, not onces, but twice, for trying to continue a war Germany had already lost.

You wont find any of the older Japanese able to move on from that, who families were obliterated in seconds. I can assure you the civilians paid a most dreadful price for their governments miss handling of the war.

The thing is they seem to recognise they were in the wrong. Thats partly why they wont complain....and yes...the Japanese were known for maltreating prisoners of war. Orientals seem to degrade their prisoners far beyond what is called for even by my standards of ways you should treats captives. :scared0015:

Noone must EVER move on from this. Thats the whole idea. The Americans must NEVER forget pearl harbour, The Japanese must NEVER forget Hiroshima, and the World should never forget what happend during the Nazi Movement in Europe and the Pacific.

Michelle...you shouldnt be moving on niether :angry:

Crisco
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I think your sarcasm meter is broken today. :)

What are we supposed to call them? Would you be insulted if they called us "Amers" or even "Yanks"? Sensitive people suck. We should be extra mean to them so they toughen up.

I figured you were either totally being sarcastic or didn't know

SO I decided to just answer the question because I was looking for another reason to say Japs. :cool:

County Mike
03-17-2009, 12:43 PM
That's a good point. It's not often enough I get to say "japs". Sometimes, when I go horseback riding I'll say "chaps", but I hardly ever say "japs". Where I work we have a lot of people from India and even China, but not very many Japs. I wonder why.

Crisco
03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
That's a good point. It's not often enough I get to say "japs". Sometimes, when I go horseback riding I'll say "chaps", but I hardly ever say "japs". Where I work we have a lot of people from India and even China, but not very many Japs. I wonder why.

Not sure why there are not many Japs by you...

Actually there aren't many Japs by me either...

Most likely the Japs stay in Cali.

County Mike
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Cali is closer to Japan. That's where the Japs came from, originally.

Do Californians get mad at us for just saying "Cali"? Is that politically incorrect? Maybe we should get mad if people say we're from "Jersey" instead of the full "New Jersey". I mean after all, we're not from the OLD Jersey. It's insulting to suggest such a thing.

Crisco
03-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Cali is closer to Japan. That's where the Japs came from, originally.

Do Californians get mad at us for just saying "Cali"? Is that politically incorrect? Maybe we should get mad if people say we're from "Jersey" instead of the full "New Jersey". I mean after all, we're not from the OLD Jersey. It's insulting to suggest such a thing.

Yea old Jersey sucks.

I'm so tired of political correctness I really am. I'm tired of all the people that like PC and I have nevr actually met someone that was really for it... I'm not sure what I would say to someone to if they told me that were actually offended by people saying Jap instead of Japanese.

County Mike
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea old Jersey sucks.

I'm so tired of political correctness I really am. I'm tired of all the people that like PC and I have nevr actually met someone that was really for it... I'm not sure what I would say to someone to if they told me that were actually offended by people saying Jap instead of Japanese.

I would probably just make an "X" over my crotch and tell them to "Suck It!".

matthughesfan21
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
unlike the Italians, the Japanese appear to be most embarrised by the war and whose side they were on. Its just another reason why no native from that country is likely to complain.

I wouldnt call it remorse exactly...but I'd definatley say that modern Japanese from my experience are very embarrised over their part to play in Hitlers Evil. Its not something they will forget...remember, out of all the countries, Japan was the only country in History to have come under attack from weapons of mass distruction during direct warfare, not onces, but twice, for trying to continue a war Germany had already lost.

You wont find any of the older Japanese able to move on from that, who families were obliterated in seconds. I can assure you the civilians paid a most dreadful price for their governments miss handling of the war.

The thing is they seem to recognise they were in the wrong. Thats partly why they wont complain....and yes...the Japanese were known for maltreating prisoners of war. Orientals seem to degrade their prisoners far beyond what is called for even by my standards of ways you should treats captives. :scared0015:

Noone must EVER move on from this. Thats the whole idea. The Americans must NEVER forget pearl harbour, The Japanese must NEVER forget Hiroshima, and the World should never forget what happend during the Nazi Movement in Europe and the Pacific.

Michelle...you shouldnt be moving on niether :angry:they aren't embarrassed by what happened, they are embarrassed that their relatives or older citizens are walking around with 6 noses

matthughesfan21
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I figured you were either totally being sarcastic or didn't know

SO I decided to just answer the question because I was looking for another reason to say Japs. :cool:so if we can't say japs now, can we at least use slang nicknames for other asian countries who we have strained diplomatic relations with right now?

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
they aren't embarrassed by what happened, they are embarrassed that their relatives or older citizens are walking around with 6 noses
:huh: Dont know much about Atomic Bombs do you?

You know the Bombs over Hiroshima detonated BEFORE it impacted. This means the explosion had a far bigger impact on the city...it ALSO means that less of the ground and dust became radioactive.

Now if the bomb had detonated on impact, it would have thrown up a lot more dust into the atmosphere.

Thats why...a place like Chenobyle is radioactive ( a meltdown of a power plant) and why it cant be lived anywhere near...and places like Hisroshima can.

To be blunt...most people who saw the blast, and became radioactive died seconds after the detonation.

You learn a new thing everyday...also...I think I'm right in saying there are different types of Nukes as well...not convinced an A-Bomb and an H-Bomb are the same thing,....I dont know which was dropped on Hiroshima...at a guess, i'd say an H-bomb might be less raidoactive?? H stands for hydrogen...that gives an indication that there is active fuel involved, not simply a release of energy...

I dunno...thats where my knowledge ends :laugh: ask...Jeff Crow, he works in the USAF I doubt he looks after Nukes personally...but I think he knows a thing or two about missiles :ninja:

matthughesfan21
03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
:huh: Dont know much about Atomic Bombs do you?

You know the Bombs over Hiroshima detonated BEFORE it impacted. This means the explosion had a far bigger impact on the city...it ALSO means that less of the ground and dust became radioactive.

Now if the bomb had detonated on impact, it would have thrown up a lot more dust into the atmosphere.

Thats why...a place like Chenobyle is radioactive ( a meltdown of a power plant) and why it cant be lived anywhere near...and places like Hisroshima can.

To be blunt...most people who saw the blast, and became radioactive died seconds after the detonation.

You learn a new thing everyday...also...I think I'm right in saying there are different types of Nukes as well...not convinced an A-Bomb and an H-Bomb are the same thing,....I dont know which was dropped on Hiroshima...at a guess, i'd say an H-bomb might be less raidoactive?? H stands for hydrogen...that gives an indication that there is active fuel involved, not simply a release of energy...

I dunno...thats where my knowledge ends :laugh: ask...Jeff Crow, he works in the USAF I doubt he looks after Nukes personally...but I think he knows a thing or two about missiles :ninja:
Dave, I was making a joke..I dont honestly think they have 6 noses...I was just saying that in reference to them getting a-bombed

County Mike
03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Dave just likes any excuse to show off his big brain.

Crisco
03-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Even though his facts are sometimes a bit off :tongue0011:

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Dave, I was making a joke..I dont honestly think they have 6 noses...I was just saying that in reference to them getting a-bombed
:ashamed: ohh...i see...sorry :mellow:

Jonlion
03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
The Japanese treated their POW disgustinghly, you only have to watch tyhe film Bridge Over the River Kwai to see that!

The thing is let me garuntee you that no Japenese person would complian about that, it will be some white, middle class fool with nothing better to do than try to find things people might find offensive.

Its the left wing do good fools that fuel all this Boll@cks! Not the Japanese, they wouldnt even pay attention to it i am sure!

I don't agree with being a bully and some words are offensive but how could anyone be offended by "Japs Surrender". Its ridicalous.

As a side note, i was just in Valencia this weekend and as we walked along my friend said to me, "its gone a bit pearl harbour here"

I looked a little perplexed until he explained, its got a bit cold, the reference being there is nip in the air!

I found it funny, others may find it offensive! Who knows!

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:44 PM
As a side note, i was just in Valencia this weekend and as we walked along my friend said to me, "its gone a bit pearl harbour here"

I looked a little perplexed until he explained, its got a bit cold, the reference being there is nip in the air!

I found it funny, others may find it offensive! Who knows!

I dont find it offensive...i'm just not sure I understand.

I know the attacks happened in the middle of Winter...but you only need to see pictures of Baby Jay Penn shivering in England to know that it cant get that cold in Hawaii, not even in winter.

So far from being cold...it would have been...tropical I expect....I dont know for sure, because ive never been to Hawaii, and never plan on going, there is no short way there from here, and I'm not sure I'd survive that long a plane journey without going mad, but its in the Mid Pacific, its at a Tropical Latitude...and its a group of very active volcano, therefore, the geothermal energy must be off the scale...you have no idea of what geothermal energy is like unless you've been in the crypt of Saint Paul's Cathedral. For some reason, there is a geothermal heat that rises through the ground...and it ISNT the underground. Thats why Saint Paul's has MASSIVE grates going all down church floor, to let the heat out...I bet if Hawaii has caves, which its bound to have, they are blistering inside :scared0015:

County Mike
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
"nip" is another slang word for a Japanese person.

"There's a nip in the air." - as in, the Japanese bomber planes flying over Pearl Harbor.

Jonlion
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM

"There's a nip in the air." - as in, the Japanese bomber planes flying over Pearl Harbor.

and its quite nippy out, as in cold!

I don't know how offensive nip is, i just thought the saying was quite funny!

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM

:huh: Really???? I never knew "Nip" was slang for Japanese...but thats VERY clever

A Nip in the air...its cold...Japanese bombers flying over pearl :laugh:

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
and its quite nippy out, as in cold!

I don't know how offensive nip is, i just thought the saying was quite funny!
do you think thats the origin of the word "Nippy" ? as in "Cold" :huh:

thats amazing if it is. Coz I never knew what else Nip meant :laugh:

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
:ashamed:

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Even though his facts are sometimes a bit off :tongue0011:
:angry:

Jonlion
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Annd a little jiggery pokery,

Nip is the shortened word of Nippon, the japanese term for Japan, its usage peaked around WW2 time and was used in a derogatory manner.

So there you have it, next time you feel it getting a little cold, you can declare it is getting a little pearl harbour!

Tyburn
03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Annd a little jiggery pokery,

Nip is the shortened word of Nippon, the japanese term for Japan, its usage peaked around WW2 time and was used in a derogatory manner.

So there you have it, next time you feel it getting a little cold, you can declare it is getting a little pearl harbour!
you learn something new every day.

I discovered that my Budgie doesnt like to do speech sessions in the dark..We started at twilight so half hour on from that when it go too dark for him to see, he got agitated coz he couldnt see me. (Its important to handle him aswell)

So tommorow we start when I get home from work, that way we end at twilight :)