PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

Bonnie
08-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Hurricane Irene as it passed over the Carribean on August 22--image from Nasa:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2043.html

Bonnie
08-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Hope all of you who might possibly be in Irene's path will be safe. :)

http://www.talkradionews.com/news/2011/8/25/hurricane-irene-expected-to-hit-inland-may-reach-dc.html

Hurricane Irene Expected To Hit Inland, May Reach D.C. - Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 12:52PM | Elianna Mintz

In a conference call Thursday the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Administrator Craig Fugate warned that the entire East Coast needs to be prepared for the arrival of Hurricane Irene.

“This will not just be a coastal storm,” Fugate told reporters. “We can see impacts well inland both from winds that can cause widespread power outages as trees fall down but also flooding.”

Fugate stressed that residents should be ready to evacuate if told by local officials.

“There is hardly any excuse for people not to know there is a hurricane out there and helping getting the word out about being prepared and ready in case of evacuation,” Fugate told reporters.

Hurricane Irene is on the sixth day of its destructive path and is currently situated in the Northwest Bahamas. It is moving northwest with 115 mph sustained winds and gusts as high as 128 mph.

The most immediate concern is North Carolina where Irene is set to hit Saturday morning. From there it will move North and Northeast towards Virginia, the Delmarva Peninsula and the lower Chesapeake Bay.

Any deviation to the left can bring Irene into the D.C. and Baltimore area.

Fugate told reporters that FEMA has teams set up throughout the east coast and has pre-positioned supplies, such as major generators, water, food, infant supplies, tarps and durable medical goods, to help residents deal with the aftermath.

Hurricane warnings will begin this evening with the 5 p.m advisory and continue throughout the weekend according to Read.

TexasRN
08-26-2011, 12:29 AM
We are watching it pretty closely to see how much it will affect us here in NC. After Ike, I don't play around with these darn hurricanes. :unsure-1:

~Amy

County Mike
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Supposed to hit us Saturday night. I'm hoping it breaks apart and weakens by then.

TexasRN
08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Supposed to hit us Saturday night. I'm hoping it breaks apart and weakens by then.

I hope so, too. I doubt that it will break apart or weaken much so I hope you and your two beautiful ladies at home have a plan ready. I think you'll know what you need to do by this afternoon. Good luck, Mike!! I'm thinking about and praying for all the forumites that may be affected by this storm.

~Amy

County Mike
08-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm gonna strap myself to the roof of my house to protect it.

Operation: Human Shield

Primadawn
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a good plan, Mike!

Seriously everyone who's in the path of this storm-please stay safe--bug out if you need to...someone can sleep on my couch! :)

Bonnie
08-26-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm praying for everyone's safety.

Mike, you got a generator? So thankful we already had one with Rita and Ike.

County Mike
08-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I don't have a generator. I figure I can hook up an exercise bike to the circuit breaker box. Actually, I plan to borrow a couple UPS devices from work and take them home for "testing". Can at least keep the fridge and a couple lights going for a few hours.

Chris F
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
praying for you all stay safe

BamaGrits84
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm gonna strap myself to the roof of my house to protect it.

Operation: Human Shield

Better check your HOA's bylaws first. Don't want to get a :Gasp: LETTER over that! :laugh:

Bonnie
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
Better check your HOA's bylaws first. Don't want to get a :Gasp: LETTER over that! :laugh:

:laugh:

I started to tell him to at least wear a helmet! :laugh: But, then, if he's thinking of doing that there's really no point in protecting his head is there. :Whistle: Just teas'n ya, Mike! :laugh: You strike me as a "prepared" person. :)

They were reading some people's texts and emails on air to the question, "Are you prepared?" One lady, Marlene, said, "I'm prepared, I bought two bottles of wine." :laugh:

All joking aside, I'm afraid some people aren't going to take this as seriously as they should be and they are going to be woefully ill-prepared for it and it's aftermath.

DonnaMaria
08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
The Gov just ordered everyone off the beaches! :laugh: I haven't agreed with him on lots of stuff but I can stand behind this remark!:laugh:

http://wall.patch.com/articles/christie-get-the-hell-off-the-beaches-in-asbury-park

They cut the electric in a lot of costal towns to MAKE the people evacuate. But there are still a lot of stragglers.

I also got a message from Atlantic Electric......telling me to be prepared for the power to be out for a few days....if things are bad.

County Mike
08-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Some people are predicting that Atlantic Electric will cut power just because they know they can get away with it. Not sure if that really helps them though, since that means people would be using less and not paying as much this month.

I really haven't done much at all to get ready. I'll make sure to secure things in my yard that can blow away. Trashcans in the garage, stuff like that. Every time I hear an update on the storm, it seems a little less dangerous. Tentative plans to workout Sunday morning if she blows out early enough.

DonnaMaria
08-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Some people are predicting that Atlantic Electric will cut power just because they know they can get away with it. Not sure if that really helps them though, since that means people would be using less and not paying as much this month.

I really haven't done much at all to get ready. I'll make sure to secure things in my yard that can blow away. Trashcans in the garage, stuff like that. Every time I hear an update on the storm, it seems a little less dangerous. Tentative plans to workout Sunday morning if she blows out early enough.

That's what I hear too. But I put everything away outside....just in case. Cars moved away from trees. Extra water incase the power goes out. Candles and matches and flashlights. Took some cash out incase ATM machines and banks are closed and gassed up the car. I think tha'ts about everything.

Tyburn
08-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Sandbags...just incase....get sandbags...its the only thing that will help you if you really do get SEVEN FEET of flooding :blink:

Out Store uses Sandbags because the firedoor has this small hole underneith it, and a big depression outside...everytime it rains heavy the depression fills with water and without the bags, it starts to come into the store under this blasted door :laugh: Its the only time in my life I have EVER seen real sandbags...

...ohh...except once when I went to Eden Camp on a school trip :w00t:

http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Llamafighter
08-27-2011, 05:12 PM
The Llamafighter family is stocked up and ready to wait it out. Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Not in a flood zone, but ya never know.

DonnaMaria
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
A few houses have sand bags but they won't help me. My house is on a little hill. I got water in my basement when the water table got too high and the water seeped into the foundation. I had the soil graded away from the house and a new gutter system installed since the last flood.........and I got a new shop vac. So we'll see.

They just included a tornado watch until 8 tonight. My biggest concern is the 70 year old old trees around my house.

Tyburn
08-27-2011, 08:49 PM
A few houses have sand bags but they won't help me. My house is on a little hill. I got water in my basement when the water table got too high and the water seeped into the foundation. I had the soil graded away from the house and a new gutter system installed since the last flood.........and I got a new shop vac. So we'll see.

They just included a tornado watch until 8 tonight. My biggest concern is the 70 year old old trees around my house.

Trees can live for centuries, so long as they are well routed and dont have too many unsupported or heavily laiden boughs :)

NateR
08-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Trees can live for centuries, so long as they are well routed and dont have too many unsupported or heavily laiden boughs :)

I think she's more concerned with the trees being ripped from the ground by the winds and falling on her house, than in the welfare of the trees themselves.

DonnaMaria
08-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I think she's more concerned with the trees being ripped from the ground by the winds and falling on her house, than in the welfare of the trees themselves.

BINGO!!! :laugh: We have a winner!!!!:)

And so far I'm the loser..........:sad:

Gutters and soil grading be damned.........I've already removed 80 gallons of water from my basement........and it's only the beginning. The hurricane isn't supposed to "hit" until 5 AM. Everything I did to prepare for it has failed me this far. I am VERY concerned about the ground being so soggy and the winds so strong that my trees fall over. :sad:

NateR
08-28-2011, 03:07 AM
BINGO!!! :laugh: We have a winner!!!!:)

And so far I'm the loser..........:sad:

Gutters and soil grading be damned.........I've already removed 80 gallons of water from my basement........and it's only the beginning. The hurricane isn't supposed to "hit" until 5 AM. Everything I did to prepare for it has failed me this far. I am VERY concerned about the ground being so soggy and the winds so strong that my trees fall over. :sad:

How close are they to your house? Would it be too late to hire someone to cut them down and push them away from your house?

I'll definitely be praying for your family's safety.

DonnaMaria
08-28-2011, 03:22 AM
How close are they to your house? Would it be too late to hire someone to cut them down and push them away from your house?

I'll definitely be praying for your family's safety.

I appreciate that very much. Thank you.

The trees are all around one side of my home. One especially large sycamore tree is making me the most nervous. It stands over my house and directly over Jessica’s bedroom. She is going to bunk downstairs with her sister tonight.

Tornados have touched down here and there and my friend texted me and told me she lost a large tree in her back yard. It crashed across her pool. My neighbor lost a tree last year from his front yard during a storm.

County Mike
08-28-2011, 04:03 AM
So far not too bad here. Some water in the basement but I've got the sump pump running to help keep it from getting too high. Few more hours until the worst of the storm hits us.

DonnaMaria
08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Everyone is okay. Got a lot of water in the basement. Removed over 600 gallons. But no trees fell overnight. Heading to bed now. Night ya'll. And thank you for your prayers. Very much appreciated.:)

VCURamFan
08-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Everyone is okay. Got a lot of water in the basement. Removed over 600 gallons. But no trees fell overnight. Heading to bed now. Night ya'll. And thank you for your prayers. Very much appreciated.:)

Glad to hear everyone's alright. We just had a lot of wind & rain around here. Got flood warnings about 6pm, but there really aren't too many streams in my neighborhood. Lost power about 7:30, but it came back on about 10am, so we're all hunky doory. I'm about to head off to an outdoor wedding, believe it or not! :scared0011: :laugh: