PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake, anyone?

VCURamFan
08-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Richmond just got hit by a 5.9 earthquake, felt in Chapel Hill, N.C., Pittsburgh, PA & NYC.

Anyone else feel the effects of my temper tantrum over possibly missing Matt's fight? :laugh:

Bonnie
08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
You're obviously okay! :) Just saw them reporting on it just minutes ago. A man this morning at the gym said there had been a 6.+ in New Mexico and Colorado--haven't seen anything yet on that. What's going on!? :unsure-1:

Twinsmama
08-23-2011, 07:00 PM
my sis felt it in baltimore. she said it wasn't bad but she felt it. my cousin in north carolina felt it too

Bonnie
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
my sis felt it in baltimore. she said it wasn't bad but she felt it. my cousin in north carolina felt it too

I heard when they broke in they felt it in NY and the capital, but I didn't hear about North Carolina until I read Ben's post. Seems kind of freaky to have two earthquakes in different parts of the U.S. where we haven't seen them before...at least in my lifetime. :unsure-1:

VCURamFan
08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Colorado had a 5.3 yesterday. Apparently buildings as far north as Ontario were shutting down because of this.

I & my family are fine & I just got a txt from Mark (Llama) asking me "What's shakin?", so I'm assuming he's OK, too. :laugh:

Llamafighter
08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
all is well here. some felt it more than others. My wife is only 2 blocks away but really felt it due to being on a higher floor.

we've had a lot of people calling into my department (we're Safety and Security for our company) Philly evacuated.

Bonnie
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Colorado had a 5.3 yesterday. Apparently buildings as far north as Ontario were shutting down because of this.

I & my family are fine & I just got a txt from Mark (Llama) asking me "What's shakin?", so I'm assuming he's OK, too. :laugh:

Oh, Colorado was yesterday... Sorry, just heard about it heresay this morning, didn't see tv yesterday. :wink:

I'm glad all of you are okay. :)

Twinsmama
08-23-2011, 07:54 PM

:laugh::laugh:

VCURamFan
08-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I bet Mike's having time of it right now. Whole slew of airports have been shut down/delayed. Hope he wasn't planning on catching a nap anytime soon!

Twinsmama
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
my aunt lives in alaska and she said they have them all the time. they had 2 5.4's in the last 2 weeks. that 's weird. I'm gonna ask her more about that. I'm curious how often they have them.

VCURamFan
08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
my aunt lives in alaska and she said they have them all the time. they had 2 5.4's in the last 2 weeks. that 's weird. I'm gonna ask her more about that. I'm curious how often they have them.

We never had 'em while I was growing up. If you look HERE (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Seismic_Zone) you can see a history of Virginia's earthquakes & there's a mice big gap between 1975 & 2003. Now we've had 5 in the last 8 years! I guess it's all just pre-season for 2013, right?

flo
08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Glad you east coasties are OK, nothing creepier than feeling the ground move under your feet!

Bonnie
08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I was just watching HLN and they showed a clip from their sister station, CNN Espanol in Washington, the news guy was about to go on when it hit Washington, you can hear someone say, "Oh crap." :laugh: The lady on HLN said, "I think "crap" translates in both Spanish and English, right?" :laugh:

A lady from the USGS explained, "the rocks on the east coast are a better transmitter of energy than the rocks on the west coast. The rocks on the west coast are broken up by faults, whereas on the east coast, they're very much intact, and an intact bell rings more loudly than a cracked bell, and that's why all the big earthquakes along the east coast are felt in very wide areas."

BamaGrits84
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
It was felt as far south as I am but mainly by those in taller buildings that were on higher floors.

TexasRN
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
My building shook pretty good. Doors were rattling enough to make an awful racket and scare my patients and staff. By the time I realized what it was, it was pretty much over. Guess I can add earthquake to the list of things I've survived. :laugh: Now I have to watch Hurricane Irene...:unsure-1:

~Amy

Bonnie
08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
My building shook pretty good. Doors were rattling enough to make an awful racket and scare my patients and staff. By the time I realized what it was, it was pretty much over. Guess I can add earthquake to the list of things I've survived. :laugh: Now I have to watch Hurricane Irene...:unsure-1:

~Amy

The weatherman said that this high pressure dome is what's keeping hurricanes away from us here in Texas right now. Both a blessing and a curse... :wink:

You know it's bad when you hear people "wishing" for a hurricane to come close enough to bring rain!

TENNESSEAN
08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I felt a big rumble turns out it was just gas:ashamed:

Llamafighter
08-24-2011, 01:19 AM

you should be used to it by now!

Bonnie
08-24-2011, 03:38 AM

:laugh:

Natural gas can be dangerous!

J.B.
08-24-2011, 03:43 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318792_242827549089502_100000867764191_704106_5407 343_n.jpg

TexasRN
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
The weatherman said that this high pressure dome is what's keeping hurricanes away from us here in Texas right now. Both a blessing and a curse... :wink:

You know it's bad when you hear people "wishing" for a hurricane to come close enough to bring rain!

Yeah, I know. It seems that Texas has had only extremes this summer. Extreme heat and extreme drought. I wonder what this winter will bring?

~Amy

County Mike
08-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I felt it here. It felt like a couple waves went under the building. When I overheard other people saying "Did you feel that?", I said "Let's talk about it outside." We went out the door and a couple seconds later the fire alarm went off. They evacuated the building and eventually gave the "all-clear" to return. I just went home since my shift was almost over anyway.

It really felt like being on a boat with a couple waves going underneath.

Back to work now. No harm done to anything but definitely something we're not used to around here.