PDA

View Full Version : Former UFC fighter, Edwin Dewees, arrested and charged with child abuse

VCURamFan
08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
From FiveKnuckles.com:

Former UFC fighter and Ultimate Fighter 4 alum, Edwin Dewees, was arrested last Thursday of July 28 and charged with two counts of child abuse after his twin two year old sons were found wandering alone on the side of a road in according to mmamania.com.

The two small children were found walking alone near Road 1 North and Cactus Wren in Arizona by a police officer. In the two hours that followed, local authorities from the Chino Valley Police tried to find the twins' caretakers but to no avail. Finally the two toddlers were returned home after their mother, wife of Dewees, reported them missing.

Dewees stated that he put the twins down for an afternoon nap only to find that they disappeared when he went to check up on them hours later. Dewees is being held at the Yavapai County Jail and his children are placed into child protective services awaiting further investigation.

Dewees was a participant in the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter, advancing to the semi-final rounds of the show before being eliminated by Patrick Cote. Dewee holds a 37-15 and one no contest record in his MMA career.

suntereo
08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
I would love to be hard on him but my son who was 4 at the time escaped from my wife undetected and tried to follow me on my walk. he made it across a busy main road and into the local bar before being returned by the local drunk who tore into my wife for being a bad mom. guess we should just leave our kids in the car while we go to the bar like her. In our defense we have 5 kids so losing one is pretty easy :wink:

VCURamFan
08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I agree. I know that when I was a little kid, I was always wandering off on my own & getting into mischief. Sounds to me like, yeah it'd be better if they had kept an eye on the kids, but it wasn't like they were ignoring them on a regular basis or something.

atomdanger
08-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I agree. I know that when I was a little kid, I was always wandering off on my own & getting into mischief. Sounds to me like, yeah it'd be better if they had kept an eye on the kids, but it wasn't like they were ignoring them on a regular basis or something.

The part that worried me about the story was that the children were gone for over 2 hours.

You didn't check on your kiddos for over 2 hours?
2 hours outside, alone, barefoot in the arizona sun.

County Mike
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Doesn't sound like jail is necessary for this. Maybe just a stern lecture on keeping a better eye on his kids. Maybe he fell asleep or was busy and thought they were safely taking a nap. Calling it "abuse" isn't fair. It was more like he made a mistake and thought they were more secure than they were.

Neezar
08-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Doesn't sound like jail is necessary for this. Maybe just a stern lecture on keeping a better eye on his kids. Maybe he fell asleep or was busy and thought they were safely taking a nap. Calling it "abuse" isn't fair. It was more like he made a mistake and thought they were more secure than they were.

Maybe. How old is your girl now, Mike?

When my boys were 2, I had a dead bolt on the door that only opened with a key. If I was busy or not where I could see the door then the key hung on a little hook high on the wall. Surely if they moved something over to climb up then I would have heard it. But anyway, I might have been a bit overprotective but 2 years olds are slick little weasels. lol

County Mike
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
My daughter is 15 months old. So far, she hasn't wandered out of the house on her own. We take precautions to make sure she can't. However, if she did I'd feel terrible but I don't think it would make me a criminal that needed to be charged with child abuse.

rearnakedchoke
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
yeah, this is a tough one ... maybe where he lives, it is ok to leave the doors open ... the kids are two, so they aren't picking locks ... LOL ... i would be hard pressed to call this abuse if it is the first time it has happened ... reminds me of a story of a friend i had in highschool, from the time his sister was 6 to 7 her parents would always make sure all the kids were bathed before bedtime, but the sister always had dirty feet come morning .. this went on for months, until the neighbor was coming home late at night from work and saw the sister wandering the downtown streets .. she was sleepwalking ... she would actually get up, open the doors and leave, the parents had to put a lock or chain way up on the door so she couldn't open it ... now that is scary .........

Twinsmama
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM
yeah, this is a tough one ... maybe where he lives, it is ok to leave the doors open ... the kids are two, so they aren't picking locks ... LOL ... i would be hard pressed to call this abuse if it is the first time it has happened ... reminds me of a story of a friend i had in highschool, from the time his sister was 6 to 7 her parents would always make sure all the kids were bathed before bedtime, but the sister always had dirty feet come morning .. this went on for months, until the neighbor was coming home late at night from work and saw the sister wandering the downtown streets .. she was sleepwalking ... she would actually get up, open the doors and leave, the parents had to put a lock or chain way up on the door so she couldn't open it ... now that is scary .........

wow that is scary!!

Neezer i'm overprotective too. I can not imagine having a child that would get away from me. I'm sure I would take extra precautions right away. so if the child protective services go to his house tomorrow he better have deadbolts and other things to keep the kids in. i got a cheap alarm type system that would just make a loud beep if the front and side doors if they were opened. I also had 2 safety latches on the sliding glass door so that they couldn't open that door either. all that and my kids never tried to get out. :laugh:

I bet he will get a talking to and nothing criminal. It's hard to prove neglect unless someone was harmed.

atomdanger
08-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Maybe not abuse? but neglect? Something.

A better question, how long does it take a child to die in arizona with no shoes or shirt in the desert in august?

flo
08-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I would love to be hard on him but my son who was 4 at the time escaped from my wife undetected and tried to follow me on my walk. he made it across a busy main road and into the local bar before being returned by the local drunk who tore into my wife for being a bad mom. guess we should just leave our kids in the car while we go to the bar like her. In our defense we have 5 kids so losing one is pretty easy :wink:

I tend to agree although I think I'd be very overprotective as well.

The bad thing is that the kids were put in the custody of CPS, not exactly a paragon of caretaking. Why not just let them be home with their mom? Give her a stern warning but it seems to me the kid's best interest is with their mom.

Bonnie
08-17-2011, 12:45 AM
In the two hours that followed, local authorities from the Chino Valley Police tried to find the twins' caretakers but to no avail. Finally the two toddlers were returned home after their mother, wife of Dewees, reported them missing.

Dewees stated that he put the twins down for an afternoon nap only to find that they disappeared when he went to check up on them hours later.

I'm kind of shocked how soft some of you are being on him. :unsure: It said the mother was the one who reported them missing which kind of makes me think Edwin put them down and NEVER went and checked on them and didn't know they were missing until his wife came home. I'm just glad the babies were found alive. Like atom said, August in AZ...things could easily have turned out sooo much worse.

flo
08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm kind of shocked how soft some of you are being on him. :unsure: It said the mother was the one who reported them missing which kind of makes me think Edwin put them down and NEVER went and checked on them and didn't know they were missing until his wife came home. I'm just glad the babies were found alive. Like atom said, August in AZ...things could easily have turned out sooo much worse.

Yes, it could have turned out a LOT worse but thank heavens, it didn't. Don't you think they were a little tough on the family to take the children into the custody of CPS? It seems like it wasn't the mom's fault. What do you think, Bonnie?

I'm willing to bet DeWees fell asleep...the story doesn't give a lot of details.

Bonnie
08-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Yes, it could have turned out a LOT worse but thank heavens, it didn't. Don't you think they were a little tough on the family to take the children into the custody of CPS? It seems like it wasn't the mom's fault. What do you think, Bonnie?

I'm willing to bet DeWees fell asleep...the story doesn't give a lot of details.

I'm not unsympathetic, honest, I know even with the most diligent parents things can happen. Maybe it's just procedure when something like this happens CPS is called in to check out the home situation before returning the children to the home. :unsure-1: Hopefully, everything will check out and the kids will be home again soon. Sounds like they might need to childproof (locks and such) though.

Neezar
08-17-2011, 06:32 AM

Bonnie, I'm saying that on the outside looking in. However, if it were my kids the dad would probably beg the police to keep him. He would be afraid to come home. :laugh:

On another note, if the police had them for 2 hours, I wonder how long they were out before they were found by the police. Yeah, hopefully this is a wake up call for dad.

TexasRN
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
When my kids were 2 and 3 I slept outside of their doors in the hallway. My son liked to get up super early in the morning (think 4 or 5 am) and sneak his sister downstairs so they could get into stuff or try to go outside. He could pop the baby gates easily and open the outside doors. We had sliding glass doors that were impossible to keep locked when my son had it in his head to open them. So I slept in the hall for about a year. :faint:

I have sympathy for this situation but I have to say, it seems those babies were missing for an awful long time before the police were called in. I don't agree with him being put in jail or with the kids being handed over to CPS right away though. I think parenting classes for both parents are in order. Also having CPS monitor the home and do inspections to check safety is a good idea.

~Amy

Buzzard
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Dang, when I was a kid my folks kept the doors open hoping I would leave!:laugh:

Neezar
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Dang, when I was a kid my folks kept the doors open hoping I would leave!:laugh:

:laugh:

Neezar
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
When my kids were 2 and 3 I slept outside of their doors in the hallway. My son liked to get up super early in the morning (think 4 or 5 am) and sneak his sister downstairs so they could get into stuff or try to go outside. He could pop the baby gates easily and open the outside doors. We had sliding glass doors that were impossible to keep locked when my son had it in his head to open them. So I slept in the hall for about a year. :faint:

I have sympathy for this situation but I have to say, it seems those babies were missing for an awful long time before the police were called in. I don't agree with him being put in jail or with the kids being handed over to CPS right away though. I think parenting classes for both parents are in order. Also having CPS monitor the home and do inspections to check safety is a good idea.

~Amy

My dad used to love to tell a story about us traveling by car from California one year and him being exhausted. We stopped and rented a hotel room and he moved the bed against the door so we couldn't get out while he slept. I don't know if something like that had already happened or he just knew we would give it a try. :laugh:

Neezar
08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
wow that is scary!!

Neezer i'm overprotective too. I can not imagine having a child that would get away from me. I'm sure I would take extra precautions right away. so if the child protective services go to his house tomorrow he better have deadbolts and other things to keep the kids in. i got a cheap alarm type system that would just make a loud beep if the front and side doors if they were opened. I also had 2 safety latches on the sliding glass door so that they couldn't open that door either. all that and my kids never tried to get out. :laugh:

I bet he will get a talking to and nothing criminal. It's hard to prove neglect unless someone was harmed.

Oh I love the door alarms! Works great on pool gates, too.

And I didn't think that mine ever tried it or they could even get out if they tried. Then one day my oldest got the broom out, knocked the key off the hook, and proceeded to unlock the bolt like he had done it a thousand times. And he was only 3! :huh:

VCURamFan
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Strange, we do the same thing here...:Whistle: :laugh:

Vizion
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Jail time? What a crock. He probably fell asleep and they escaped. Hardly a criminal act on his part.

Bonnie
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Jail time? What a crock. He probably fell asleep and they escaped. Hardly a criminal act on his part.

OFF TOPIC: Love that belt you're sporting now, Vizion, especially how your name is done. :cool: Back on topic... :laugh:

Do they just automatically arrest people in these cases, or do y'all think maybe whatever the police saw and/or heard led them to arrest him?

flo
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM

You're a really good mom. When I read stories about parents leaving their kids in the car outside the bars while they drink, or getting high in front of them, having toddlers in the midst of their meth cooking, I feel such despair. Those poor kids really have the deck stacked against them from the start. I think Dewees was negligent and lazy but not criminal.

flo
08-17-2011, 09:13 PM
My dad used to love to tell a story about us traveling by car from California one year and him being exhausted. We stopped and rented a hotel room and he moved the bed against the door so we couldn't get out while he slept. I don't know if something like that had already happened or he just knew we would give it a try. :laugh:

:laugh: Great story.

OFF TOPIC: Love that belt you're sporting now, Vizion, especially how your name is done. :cool: Back on topic... :laugh:

Do they just automatically arrest people in these cases, or do y'all think maybe whatever the police saw and/or heard led them to arrest him?

{{Bonnie}}

Vizion
08-17-2011, 10:41 PM

From what I understand the children were missing 2 hours. Edwin was not engaged in illegal activities during this time, and the children were returned unharmed.

Lots of dads lose track of their kids! The police were alarmed, but it was probably a "lesson" and an opportunity to get a psuedo-celebrity to illuminate their department.

Vizion
08-17-2011, 10:42 PM
and ps. flo did my sig. Its awesome isn't it?

Bonnie
08-17-2011, 11:25 PM

It is!...And so is she! :)

Neezar
08-18-2011, 03:51 AM
From what I understand the children were missing 2 hours. Edwin was not engaged in illegal activities during this time, and the children were returned unharmed.

Lots of dads lose track of their kids! The police were alarmed, but it was probably a "lesson" and an opportunity to get a psuedo-celebrity to illuminate their department.

How do you know that he wasn't engaged in illegal activities? :huh: The police don't always release all information.

And what do you mean LOTS of dads lose track of their kids? :scared0015:
How many do you know?

Neezar
08-18-2011, 03:52 AM
ps Yes, that is a kick-ass siggie. :cool:

flo
08-18-2011, 03:54 AM

It is!...And so is she! :)

:ashamed:

Thanks, Vizion and Bonnie.

You made my day!

Buzzard
08-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Strange, we do the same thing here...:Whistle: :laugh:

If it didn't work for my mom, what makes you think it would work here?:laugh:

County Mike
08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm at work, but watching my daughter right now. Gotta love network cams.

VCURamFan
08-18-2011, 01:03 PM
If it didn't work for my mom, what makes you think it would work here?:laugh:

Well clearly we gotta re-think our strategy now that we know you've been preparing specifically for that eventuality!! :ninja:

Neezar
08-18-2011, 06:37 PM

:w00t: That is so sweet! Mike, you are a good daddy. :)

County Mike
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
:w00t: That is so sweet! Mike, you are a good daddy. :)

I try my best. :)

Vizion
08-18-2011, 09:16 PM
How do you know that he wasn't engaged in illegal activities? :huh: The police don't always release all information.

And what do you mean LOTS of dads lose track of their kids? :scared0015:
How many do you know?It is as much an assumption of inductive reasoning as is the assumption that he was wrong doing at the time of his children escaping.

In short; I don't know, but neither does anyone else in this thread :wink:

And I say lots of dads because the simple fact is; when football is on many dads get distracted by the game and their kids run wild.

Bonnie
08-19-2011, 02:51 AM

:)

Neezar
08-19-2011, 03:53 AM
It is as much an assumption of inductive reasoning as is the assumption that he was wrong doing at the time of his children escaping.

In short; I don't know, but neither does anyone else in this thread :wink:

And I say lots of dads because the simple fact is; when football is on many dads get distracted by the game and their kids run wild.

Well I find it hard to take anything else you say seriously when you have just admitted to stating something as a fact just because no one actually knows it to be a lie.

:mellow:

Not trying to be ugly but you seriously discredit yourself.

Neezar
08-19-2011, 03:59 AM
:ashamed:

Thanks, Vizion and Bonnie.

You made my day!

Hey! :angry: I said I liked it, too! I'm not feeling the love here!

Bonnie
08-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Uh oh, Neezy, this post of yours ended up the last one on the page like your previous one to her. :laugh: Didn't someone say before that last post on the page can easily be overlooked...we'll see if she catches this one! :laugh:

I read all of them! :laugh:

Vizion
08-19-2011, 04:22 AM
Well I find it hard to take anything else you say seriously when you have just admitted to stating something as a fact just because no one actually knows it to be a lie.

:mellow:

Not trying to be ugly but you seriously discredit yourself.you jerk!! :laugh:

No actually I did presume he was not engaging in any illegal activities - and I didn't know and still don't know, but earlier I stated he probably was just sleeping too so what part of you took anything I said seriously in the first place? :tongue0011:

Neezar
08-19-2011, 04:46 AM
you jerk!! :laugh:

No actually I did presume he was not engaging in any illegal activities - and I didn't know and still don't know, but earlier I stated he probably was just sleeping too so what part of you took anything I said seriously in the first place? :tongue0011:

:laugh: Well admitting is the first step. :tongue0011:

Neezar
08-19-2011, 04:47 AM

Uh oh, Neezy, this post of yours ended up the last one on the page like your previous one to her. :laugh: Didn't someone say before that last post on the page can easily be overlooked...we'll see if she catches this one! :laugh:

I read all of them! :laugh:

Maybe if we quote it enough she will notice. :laugh:

Neezar
08-19-2011, 04:47 AM

:Whistle:

Bonnie
08-19-2011, 04:54 AM

flo
08-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Aww, thanks Neez! I LOVE to do photoshop. :happydancing:

flo
08-19-2011, 05:54 AM

oopsie! (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7XLnxKlYEo)

:happydancing:

Neezar
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Aww, thanks Neez! I LOVE to do photoshop. :happydancing:

Your welcome.:biggrin-1: I feel much better now.

Neezar
08-22-2011, 03:50 AM
The boss wondered why one of his most valued employees was absent but
had not phoned in sick. So he dialed the employee's home phone number
and was greeted with a child's whisper. ' Hello ? '
'Is your daddy home?' ' Yes, he's out in the garden ,' whispered the
small voice. 'May I talk with him?' The child whispered, ' No .' ;
So the boss asked, 'Well, is your Mommy there?' ' Yes, she's out in
the garden too '& The boss asked; 'May I talk with her?' Again the
small voice whispered, ' No .' Hoping there was somebody with whom he
could leave a message, the boss asked, 'Is anybody else there?' ' Yes
,' whispered the child, ' a policeman.. '
Wondering what a cop would be doing at his employee's home, the boss
asked, 'May I speak with the policeman?' ' No, he's busy , '
whispered the child. 'Busy doing what?' ' Talking to Daddy and Mommy
and the police dog men. ' Growing more worried as he heard a loud
noise in the background, the boss asked, 'What is that noise?' ' It's
a helicopter ' answered the whispering voice.
'What is going on there?' demanded the boss, now truly apprehensive. '
The search team just landed a helicopter ' 'A search team?' said
the boss. 'What are they searching for?'
Still whispering, the young voice replied with a muffled giggle.... ' ME '

County Mike
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
The boss wondered why one of his most valued employees was absent but
had not phoned in sick. So he dialed the employee's home phone number
and was greeted with a child's whisper. ' Hello ? '
'Is your daddy home?' ' Yes, he's out in the garden ,' whispered the
small voice. 'May I talk with him?' The child whispered, ' No .' ;
So the boss asked, 'Well, is your Mommy there?' ' Yes, she's out in
the garden too '& The boss asked; 'May I talk with her?' Again the
small voice whispered, ' No .' Hoping there was somebody with whom he
could leave a message, the boss asked, 'Is anybody else there?' ' Yes
,' whispered the child, ' a policeman.. '
Wondering what a cop would be doing at his employee's home, the boss
asked, 'May I speak with the policeman?' ' No, he's busy , '
whispered the child. 'Busy doing what?' ' Talking to Daddy and Mommy
and the police dog men. ' Growing more worried as he heard a loud
noise in the background, the boss asked, 'What is that noise?' ' It's
a helicopter ' answered the whispering voice.
'What is going on there?' demanded the boss, now truly apprehensive. '
The search team just landed a helicopter ' 'A search team?' said
the boss. 'What are they searching for?'
Still whispering, the young voice replied with a muffled giggle.... ' ME '

I love that one.

Crisco
09-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Check out youtube for the grappling match between Edwin Dewees and Eddy Rolon.