PDA

View Full Version : Taxes...

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM
So I filed my taxes 2 days ago and had my return rejected because I thought that I had received $300 for my stimulus check. I guess it was $600 but the real issue is that when I put in $600 in, it dropped my return by $300.:timebomb: :irked: :gnasher: I think this is ridiculous. What was the point of the sitmulus check. Pay you some money now and try to get the economy jumpstarted for a short while and then when tax return season comes around take it right back and end up worse off than we were?!?:sign0094:

I guess I should have read the small print when I received my check last year....

Neezar
01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
:laugh: That does suck! I knew there had to be a catch.

Preach
01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm not foing to file this year our Treasure Sec. didn't and look what it got him so I am following suit

MattHughesRocks
01-24-2009, 03:57 PM
It's like they asked you to see if you'd lie:unsure-1: Thanks for the heads up Jeff! :laugh:

Oddtodd76
01-24-2009, 04:19 PM
well, if that is the case...Guess i won't be doing any home improvements this spring.

EHLERZ5
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Okay people... I've done accounting & income taxes for 18 years...

The 2008 STIMULUS check is NOT something you have to pay back when you file your income taxes this year.

There is a section on your income tax return where you need to put what you received as a Stimulus payment in 2008. Remember that little piece of paper that told you what you were supposed to receive and it told you to keep it for your records? If not don't worry, here is a webpage so you can see what you got....

https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/IRServlet?app=IRACTC&selectLanguage=en

That section of the return will need to be filled out by everyone.... And it's geared towards people that didn't receive their full Stimulus amount last year. For example if someone should have gotten $1200 and they only received $1085, they will use this line to get the other $115 they are entitled to as a REFUNDABLE refund on their return.

Jeff's mistake was he put he only received $300.... So his bottom line refund was $300 too much. The IRS is going to catch this a ton this year. I have to ask EVERY single person who walks through my door what they received (then I check it online before I finish their return).

While I have your attention.... Here's another CREDIT some people are going to need to look for this year, but you won't see it unless you read the instructions....

DO YOU PAY PROPERTY TAXES??? If you itemize, then you're already taking this... IF YOU DONT ITEMIZE, there is a credit that you will need to add to your STANDARD DEDUCTION for 2008..... Up to $500 for Single people, Up to $1,000 for a Married couple..... READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!! Call me at work if you need to.... 618-585-3061.

kyle
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
OK Jeff now I'm sorry but this doesn't make ant sense to me buddy. I did my taxes a few days ago also and I got a much larger stimulas check last year it was $2100 (I do have 5 kids) There was a special box that went in when filing and they did not deduct any of it from my money im getting back and im still getting almost 5300 back and the IRS has already gave me an approval email excepting my return.
So I just don't know how you can be penalized for that when someone like me is not. That just doesn't make any sense to me. and i had H & R block do my stuff so it would be on them if they screwed it up ever.

EHLERZ5
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
. and i had H & R block do my stuff so it would be on them if they screwed it up ever.

That's cause "You got people" right???

Don't you people let those H&R commercials fool you.... Read the small print at the bottom of the screen before the commercial goes off....

H & R Block will not cover you totally if they make a mistake.... If they goof up and cost you TAX money, that's still on YOU... But if they make a mistake that costs you "penalties & interest", then that's the portion THEY will cover....

Sorry... I'm the guy that usually fixes all the H&R Block's mistakes during the year.... LOL!!!!! Not a fan! They can get you your money the fastest... but they CRUSH you on the price to get it that fast....

NateR
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I didn't get a stimulus check last year, so I guess I don't have to worry about anything.

It don't matter, I'm not getting a return this year either; since all of my pay comes in personal checks, I don't have taxes taken out ahead of time. So I'll probably have to pay a couple hundred bucks in taxes this year too.

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
OK Jeff now I'm sorry but this doesn't make ant sense to me buddy. I did my taxes a few days ago also and I got a much larger stimulas check last year it was $2100 (I do have 5 kids) There was a special box that went in when filing and they did not deduct any of it from my money im getting back and im still getting almost 5300 back and the IRS has already gave me an approval email excepting my return.
So I just don't know how you can be penalized for that when someone like me is not. That just doesn't make any sense to me. and i had H & R block do my stuff so it would be on them if they screwed it up ever.

Well, when I first put $300 and e-filed it I was getting $1264 back. The IRS rejected it because the amount wasn't right, so I went back and put the correct amount which was $600 and it dropped my return down to $962. I re-submitted it and it was accepted. It sucks because I paid in over $4,000 in federal taxes. I don't understand how I am getting penalized either. It really has me pissed off though.

EHLERZ5
01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Jeff.....

If you filed your return and didn't even have to answer the question or enter your stimulus, you 2008 refund would have still only been $962....

You're not getting PENALIZED because of the stimulus... that line is set up to get it back for people that didn't get it or only received part of it....

Primadawn
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM
So if I'm "getting it", what EHLERZ is saying is that Jeff's return was showing he would get $300 more back because it appeared he hadn't received all of his stimulus check since he only entered $300 instead of $600. And once he corrected it to $600, "they" realized he had gotten all of it, so the total refund was corrected to remove the $300 that, in fact, he had already received...Right?

So there was no penalty..right?

I got $2100 too..I desperately don't want there to be a penalty...

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Jeff.....

If you filed your return and didn't even have to answer the question or enter your stimulus, you 2008 refund would have still only been $962....

You're not getting PENALIZED because of the stimulus... that line is set up to get it back for people that didn't get it or only received part of it....

I was just wondering why it said I was getting $1264 before I put in the correct amount? I used turbo tax and I also used the H&R Block calculator...it estimated my return as $1260. It just seems odd that everything was showing a little over $1200 until I answered that question and put in the amount.

EHLERZ5
01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Dawn you got it!

Jeff -- Because EVERYONE will need to put in WHAT they got.... When you put the wrong amount in at the beginning, the IRS was going to hand you another $300, because you were entitled to $600 last year. Those online sites/tax programs are getting alot of people mixed up so far this tax season, because they are not asking things the right way -- it's confusing people and causing mistakes.... (WHICH IS WHAT THE IRS WANTS! They collect on mistakes later on!) Did they even ask you about Property Taxes???

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I understand what your saying. You just had me a little confused when you said I would have still only gotten the $962 even if I wouldn't have answered that question. The odd thing is that I am getting less back this year and I payed in more taxes this year than any previous year.:blink:

I think I am going to adopt a kid for the year. I should just adopt a 17 year old kid every year and when they turn 18 kick them to the curb and adopt another one to claim:laugh:

Dawn you got it!

Jeff -- Because EVERYONE will need to put in WHAT they got.... When you put the wrong amount in at the beginning, the IRS was going to hand you another $300, because you were entitled to $600 last year. Those online sites/tax programs are getting alot of people mixed up so far this tax season, because they are not asking things the right way -- it's confusing people and causing mistakes.... (WHICH IS WHAT THE IRS WANTS! They collect on mistakes later on!) Did they even ask you about Property Taxes???

NateR
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I was just wondering why it said I was getting $1264 before I put in the correct amount?

Because you originally put in the incorrect amount. Did you flunk math, Jeff? :laugh:

The government "owed" you $600 last year, so when you said they only paid you $300, then that meant they still owed you another $300. So that showed up in your return this year. When it was discovered that they had actually paid you the full $600, then you got your true return.

If the computer hadn't caught the mistake and you had filed, then you would have had to pay back that $300 plus penalties and interest.

Speaking from experience, I let the Army do my taxes for 1999 and it turns out they messed up and I was overpaid $900 in my return. Well, I didn't find out until late 2001 and the interest was backdated to the spring of 2000, so I ended up owing the IRS over $1100.

So, just be glad that it was caught before you filed.

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Because you originally put in the incorrect amount. Did you flunk math, Jeff? :laugh:

The government "owed" you $600 last year, so when you said they only paid you $300, then that meant they still owed you another $300. So that showed up in your return this year. When it was discovered that they had actually paid you the full $600, then you got your true return.

I got that, but if we are going by the math...why did it say I was getting $1264 no matter if I put $300 or $0 like I did on the H&R calculator. If I put $0, wouldn't it have showed me being owed $1564? Maybe I am just really confusing myself trying to figure out why I think I got screwed this year:dizzy: :laugh:

timmyja
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a question for the tax man.. I made about 115-125k for the first time ever this year, and I am single w/ no dependents and no house. I did not write anything off, which is foolish on my part because I do a lot of travelling and stay in motels etc., so my question is if I could have a rough ballpark figure on what I am going to have to pay back.. The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure there isn't a snowball chance in me getting a return this year, so I was wondering I could get a rough figure on what I'll be looking to pay back..

Thank you

Llamafighter
01-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I didn't get a stimulus check last year, so I guess I don't have to worry about anything.

It don't matter, I'm not getting a return this year either; since all of my pay comes in personal checks, I don't have taxes taken out ahead of time. So I'll probably have to pay a couple hundred bucks in taxes this year too.

We didn;t get one either. I think because we were on a payment plan for the large ammount we ended up oweing last year. Just this month we are sending in the last check.

MattHughesRocks
01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
This is a great thread Jeff. I'm glad this happened to you so you'd bring it up :duck:
Can't you get Cooper a social security number? :unsure-1:

Preach
01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
2+2=5

Jeff Crow
01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
This is a great thread Jeff. I'm glad this happened to you so you'd bring it up :duck:
Can't you get Cooper a social security number? :unsure-1:

I just made this thread so I can get my post count up...I think I may be up to about 10 now...:fight: :biggrin: :tongue0011:

I've alreay thought about that. I don't think I can...

MattHughesRocks
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
:laugh:

I just made this thread so I can get my post count up...I think I may be up to about 10 now...:fight: :biggrin: :tongue0011:

kyle
01-24-2009, 07:39 PM
That's cause "You got people" right???

Don't you people let those H&R commercials fool you.... Read the small print at the bottom of the screen before the commercial goes off....

H & R Block will not cover you totally if they make a mistake.... If they goof up and cost you TAX money, that's still on YOU... But if they make a mistake that costs you "penalties & interest", then that's the portion THEY will cover....

Sorry... I'm the guy that usually fixes all the H&R Block's mistakes during the year.... LOL!!!!! Not a fan! They can get you your money the fastest... but they CRUSH you on the price to get it that fast....

yeah that may be the case but i did mine first online than i seen how much i was getting back than i got greedy so i didnt submit it and went to H & R so I can get my money now.:laugh: ....

OH and by the way I use to have a lawyer do my taxes and he has made some mistakes and i seen the army screw them up time and time and time again so as long as a human is inputting numbers i dont care if you been doing it for 2 yrs or 18 yrs you will make mistakes thats why i ALWAYS do my taxes online first to see what i'm getting then I let some one to do them and if there is a difference I will raise a red flag and recheck them.I personally dont trust any accountant or anyone doing anything with my money but myself but like I said I wanted my money now thats why I went there this year.

MattHughesRocks
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I do mine myself.So far no arrests have been made :)

matthughesfan21
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I do mine myself.So far no arrests have been made :)i'm actually shocked:Whistle:

Preach
01-24-2009, 09:50 PM

If you want to increase your post count without looking obvious just start a thread and say that you don't like Jens that will get you in a post war with Dave

Sugar Shane
01-24-2009, 11:12 PM
What if you got your stimulus amount direct deposited? I didnt get a little piece of paper telling me to keep it for my records. The website does not work for me either, I entered my info and it says it is not correct, even with my info sitting in front of me.

VCURamFan
01-25-2009, 12:51 AM
I just made this thread so I can get my post count up.:fight: :biggrin: :tongue0011:Dude, you stole my idea!

Tyburn
01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
I effectively work one week for free out of every four...thats income Tax and National Insurance...even our bloody bouns..less then 150 is TAXED before we get it next month!

Then there is my rent...thats about a third of whats left of my pay check..then there is Council tax, thats about 70.

Then I have my gas, electricity and waterbill, followed by my Broadband which includes any home movies and any phone calls. Possibly half of what I have left goes on these bills..plus a bit for the TV liscene each month

...then I live off my 30 per week for four weeks...and I'm lucky if I hold even, let alone gain

Yeah...sucks to be me dont it :cry: