PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quote Thread

Irish Pride
08-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Just as the subject says. Post some of your favorite quotes. I had more in mind of inspirational quotes but feel free to post comedic quotes too. Clean mind you!

I'll start us off.

"The first thing which I can record concerning myself is, that I was born. These are wonderful words. This life, to which neither time nor eternity can bring diminution - this everlasting living soul, began. My mind loses itself in these depths." - Groucho Marx

DonnaMaria
08-10-2011, 01:56 AM
:w00t: I love this thread already!!!! Great idea!!!!

Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as a quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened.

All by George S. Patton:cool:

DonnaMaria
08-10-2011, 01:59 AM
A woman in love can't be reasonable - or she probably wouldn't be in love.

~Mae West

:laugh:

DonnaMaria
08-10-2011, 02:03 AM
Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.

~Mae West

Bonnie
08-10-2011, 06:20 AM
"Just because I'm different doesn't mean I'm not the same." - Shiloh Pepin, aka the Mermaid Girl

Bonnie
08-10-2011, 06:26 AM
"When people show you who they are, believe them, the first time." - Maya Angelou

flo
08-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Yes, this is a great thread idea, IP.

I also have a favorite Groucho quote:

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member."

flo
08-10-2011, 06:51 AM
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”

Herbert Spencer

I also love quotes by Dorothy Parker. Here's a good 'un:

"She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B."

(speaking of Katharine Hepburn) :laugh:

Great quotes by a great man, Patton. I like that one by Maya Angelou too...

Play The Man
08-10-2011, 07:18 AM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
"Citizenship in a Republic,"
Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Play The Man
08-10-2011, 07:28 AM
"I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.' We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

Winston Churchill
May 13, 1940

Bonnie
08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

~ Abraham Lincoln

Buc Nasty
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
'My wife took everything but my fillings.' ~ Ari Gold

Dethbob
08-10-2011, 01:35 PM
“It was then that I realized the mask I was wearing was designed to keep out bees, not ants!”
-I don’t remember and can’t find the source for this one, just that it was on a nature show.

"If everything is going well, you forgot something."
– Old Naval Aviation truism.

Primadawn
08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned the hard way that some poems don't rhyme and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next."
--Gilda Radner

Primadawn
08-10-2011, 02:01 PM
"When people show you who they are, believe them, the first time." - Maya Angelou

That's one of my favorites too Bonnie!

Miss Foxy
08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
" When you lose, say little...When you
win, say less." -Matt Hughes

flo
08-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.' We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

Winston Churchill
May 13, 1940

That part of his speech always gives me goosebumps.

Play The Man
08-10-2011, 08:21 PM
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

Ronald Reagan

Play The Man
08-10-2011, 08:42 PM
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis
The Abolition of Man

“The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts”

C.S. Lewis
The Screwtape Letters

Irish Pride
08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
"When you love someone you got to be prepared to hate too. And sometimes the hate just wins out. But you listen to me, Willa. You might have a real good reason to hate somebody, but you still got to let that hate go. 'Cause if you don't it'll just tear you apart your whole life. And even worse that that, it won't leave no room for any love to get back in."

Quote from First Family by David Baldacci

Irish Pride
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” Pablo Picasso

Play The Man
08-10-2011, 11:19 PM
"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see."

Neil Postman
The Disappearance of Childhood

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
"One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present."

— Golda Meir

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
"Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either"

— Golda Meir

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 01:06 AM
"A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light."

— Leonardo da Vinci

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 01:09 AM
"As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death."

— Leonardo da Vinci

Irish Pride
08-11-2011, 01:38 AM
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

- Martin Niemoller

Irish Pride
08-11-2011, 01:46 AM
"Think where mans glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." - William Butler Yeats

flo
08-11-2011, 02:57 AM
"Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don't know how to laugh either"

— Golda Meir

That is beautiful.

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 03:09 AM
That is beautiful.

She was a very deep pool.....not a shallow puddle....and she was strong and she had a sharp sense of humor!

Here are a few more........

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
~ Golda Meir

and

“Moses dragged us for 40 years through the desert to bring us to the one place in the Middle East where there was no oil.”

~Golda Meir quote

flo
08-11-2011, 06:51 AM
She was a very deep pool.....not a shallow puddle....and she was strong and she had a sharp sense of humor!

Here are a few more........

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great."
~ Golda Meir

and

“Moses dragged us for 40 years through the desert to bring us to the one place in the Middle East where there was no oil.”

~Golda Meir quote

Those are wonderful, DM, I didn't know a single quote by Golda Meir...

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Isn't she great Flo?! You should read some of her stuff!

And now a word from Dr. Seuss

( I get inspiration from MANY different sources! :laugh:)

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams
- Dr Seuss

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess that explains why I like to sleep so much. :dry: :laugh:

Primadawn
08-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
C. S. Lewis

I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
Ronald Reagan

Irish Pride
08-11-2011, 07:54 PM
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

Miss Foxy
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” - Buddha

Love it!

DonnaMaria
08-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
C. S. Lewis

I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'. Ronald Reagan

:laugh: Awesome! And true!!!!!

Buc Nasty
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
'Lets hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate.

Sexual Chocolate.

They play so fine don't you agree?' ~ Randy Watson

flo
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'.
Ronald Reagan

Awesome!!

Primadawn
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
The man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
Muhammad Ali

Neezar
08-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Man who stands on toilet high on pot.

Primadawn
08-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Bwahahaha! I've been on Facebook too long..I was looking for the "like" button! :laugh:

County Mike
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
"Suck it!" - Unknown

flo
08-12-2011, 06:25 PM

G-R-O-A-N

VCURamFan
08-12-2011, 06:43 PM
"What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing, you already told her twice!" - Michelle :laugh:

Irish Pride
08-13-2011, 01:02 AM
“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” - C.S. Lewis

Irish Pride
08-13-2011, 01:08 AM
"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable." - Joseph Addison

Chris F
08-13-2011, 01:20 AM
"Taught how to talk straight not back or my little white but get a whippin" Randy Houser

Bonnie
08-13-2011, 02:29 AM
"What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing, you already told her twice!" - Michelle :laugh:

Neezar
08-13-2011, 02:37 AM
G-R-O-A-N

Want more?

http://www.goodquotes.com/proverbs.htm

flo
08-13-2011, 03:53 AM

Want more?

http://www.goodquotes.com/proverbs.htm

A plethora of groanitude!!

Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” - C.S. Lewis

That one made me smile. So true!

DonnaMaria
08-14-2011, 03:37 AM
"If I can't be a shining example at least I can be a cautionary tale!"
~Donna Maria :wink::laugh:

Neezar
08-14-2011, 03:47 AM
"If I can't be a shining example at least I can be a cautionary tale!"
~Donna Maria :wink::laugh:

:applause::laugh:

Irish Pride
08-19-2011, 12:40 AM
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. " - Bob Marley

DonnaMaria
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. " - Bob Marley

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmygosh. So true. So very very true!!!!!

DonnaMaria
08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Vacations with children are NOT for relaxing. They are for making memories! If you want a relaxing vacation you have to go away by yourself!~ Donna Maria 2008

A close friend reminded me that I told her this way back in 2008 BEFORE she had kids. She just returned from her first family vacation with her 2 year old and she said that she thought of my words the entire trip!!!! :laugh: And they kept her from flipping out!!!! I told her that I was honored!!!! :)

Neezar
08-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Well you can want in one hand and shyte in the other. See which one fills up the fastest. - My Dad, so many times when I was growing up and I would tell him that I wanted something. lol

surveyorshawn
08-20-2011, 02:58 PM
"It ain't how hard you can hit. It's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa

Irish Pride
08-20-2011, 05:54 PM
"If better is possible, then good isn't enough."

"Failure is the opportunity to become educated."

Both anonymous because I forgot the gentleman's name that shared them with me.

DonnaMaria
08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Well you can want in one hand and shyte in the other. See which one fills up the fastest. - My Dad, so many times when I was growing up and I would tell him that I wanted something. lol

:laugh: That's awesome!!!!! I bet you can truly appreciate those words now that you are the parent!!!!

Neezar
08-22-2011, 02:49 AM
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing
is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
--Albert Einstein

Irish Pride
09-23-2011, 12:09 AM
"A friend is one that knows you as you were, understands where you have been, accepts what you have, and still allows you to grow."

Neezar
09-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote from my six year old son:

This house in not a constitution rule! Everyone in this house has a tv in their room except me. The constitution rule says that everything is free, equal, and fair!

:laugh: This comment came out of nowhere.

VCURamFan
09-23-2011, 01:43 PM

What constitution is your kid reading? :laugh:

Neezar
09-24-2011, 05:00 AM
What constitution is your kid reading? :laugh:

:laugh: Not the same one I read.

Irish Pride
09-27-2011, 12:31 AM

lol that's super cute.

NateR
09-27-2011, 12:52 PM
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt

TENNESSEAN
09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
-Teddy Roosevelt

:happy0159:

Neezar
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

rearnakedchoke
09-28-2011, 05:29 PM
“We’ve got a saying back home that if you’re coming on, come on!”

Harold Howard, UFC 3 ... has best effect if you are tearing off sunglasses as you say "come on!"

flo
09-28-2011, 10:16 PM

This house in not a constitution rule! Everyone in this house has a tv in their room except me. The constitution rule says that everything is free, equal, and fair!

I loved that!!!:laugh: :happy0159:

rearnakedchoke
10-07-2011, 02:19 PM
-Teddy Roosevelt

so good it had to be posted twice ...

Irish Pride
11-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

-William Butler Yeats

Neezar
11-05-2011, 03:18 AM
My youngest son says some of the greatest/weirdest things! Sometimes it isn't even what he says but the wording he uses. It is so funny sometimes. I have never been one to keep a diary or journal but I might have to start writing some of them down.

My just turned seven year old:

"Mommy, watch this. Watch what I do on my bicycle".

He then proceeds to ride his bicycle in small circles while standing on the pedals. Then goes across the yard and pops a few wheelies. (very small wheelies, like Im not even sure the front tire left the ground every time, lol) And as he rides back by me.

"Did you see that, Mommy? I couldn't do that before. I couldn't do that until I got the spirit of riding a bicycle."

:wub:

I have no idea where he gets this terminology. lol

Bonnie
11-05-2011, 03:41 AM
My youngest son says some of the greatest/weirdest things! Sometimes it isn't even what he says but the wording he uses. It is so funny sometimes. I have never been one to keep a diary or journal but I might have to start writing some of them down.

My just turned seven year old:

"Mommy, watch this. Watch what I do on my bicycle".

He then proceeds to ride his bicycle in small circles while standing on the pedals. Then goes across the yard and pops a few wheelies. (very small wheelies, like Im not even sure the front tire left the ground every time, lol) And as he rides back by me.

"Did you see that, Mommy? I couldn't do that before. I couldn't do that until I got the spirit of riding a bicycle."

Ahhh! :wub: You definitely need to start writing them down. Your own family version of "Kids Say the Darndest Things"...something to treasure and be able to share with them when they're adults...maybe with kids of their own. :laugh:

Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

flo
11-05-2011, 06:24 AM

I love him, he says the cutest things! Hug him for me!

Irish Pride
05-05-2013, 03:56 PM
"Nobody knows better than me that eventually is an idea, not a given. There's no guarantee I'm going to eventually make it to anything, including breakfast tomorrow. But by the same token, I have to allow for the possibility. Otherwise, I've got nothing. And that's not me." - Alex Cross via James Patterson, Alex Cross, Run

NateR
05-05-2013, 04:25 PM
"Reality is no excuse for bad storytelling." - some film school professor

This was a quote that I learned when I started studying 3D animation in college. I'm not sure who said it originally; but I heard it from Eric Hansen, who did a lot of special effects work on films like The Fifth Element, The Day After Tomorrow, Stealth, etc. The basic message is simple, telling a good story is more important than getting all the facts right. Also, just because people might conceivably do something in real life doesn't mean that it makes sense for them to do that same action in a story.

Something to keep in mind the next time you watch a movie that is "based on a true story" or "inspired by a true story." :wink:

Chuck
05-05-2013, 11:51 PM
"Reality is no excuse for bad storytelling." - some film school professor

This was a quote that I learned when I started studying 3D animation in college. I'm not sure who said it originally; but I heard it from Eric Hansen, who did a lot of special effects work on films like The Fifth Element, The Day After Tomorrow, Stealth, etc. The basic message is simple, telling a good story is more important than getting all the facts right. Also, just because people might conceivably do something in real life doesn't mean that it makes sense for them to do that same action in a story.

Something to keep in mind the next time you watch a movie that is "based on a true story" or "inspired by a true story." :wink:

Or you listen to a White House press conference or an Obama speech. :wink:

MattHughesRocks
05-06-2013, 06:12 AM
If you can't take a joke then there ain't no point in livin' :laugh:

Is this a new thread?:w00t:

Irish Pride
08-22-2013, 12:11 AM
"A lot of people think that joy is happiness. Not so. Happiness is a wimp. When adversity comes into your life, happiness wimps right out. But joy is a spirit that comes from deep down inside. He will be with you forever." – Meadowlark Lemon