PDA

View Full Version : Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row

Irish Pride
08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
http://mmaweekly.com/fedor-emelianenko-released-by-strikeforce-following-third-loss-in-a-row

__________________________________________________ _

Fedor Emelianenko Released by Strikeforce Following Third Loss in a Row (UPDATED)
Posted on August 4, 2011 by Damon Martin

Fedor Emelianenko‘s time under the Zuffa umbrella has come to an end.

The former Pride champion and Russian legend has been released from Strikeforce following his third loss in a row, the latest coming by way of TKO to Dan Henderson this last weekend in Chicago.

UFC president Dana White on Thursday confirmed his release to MMAWeekly.com.

“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”

Emelianenko’s legendary undefeated run first came to a halt when he faced Fabricio Werdum last year, and after clipping the Brazilian early in the fight, he was submitted by triangle choke.

Bouncing back earlier this year, Emelianenko entered the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix where he met Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and was simply overmatched by power and size. The fight was stopped after the seond round as Emelianenko suffered huge swelling in and around his eye.

The final nail in the coffin came at Strikeforce this weekend when he lost to current light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in a special heavyweight attraction. Fedor dropped Henderson with a good punch, but in the scramble to finish the fight, he found himself on the bad end of a Henderson uppercut.

Emelianenko went limp, falling flat to the mat and referee Herb Dean rushed in to stop the fight.

The loss resulted in three in a row for Emelianenko, who stated following the fight that he was undecided what the future held for him.

The future doesn’t hold Strikeforce for Emelianenko after being released.

According to White, he believes Emelianenko’s contract was up anyway, which paved the way for him not to come back to the promotion.

“Yeah, I think so as far as I know,” White said about Emelianenko’s contract.

White also stated he had no conversations at all with Emelianenko or his camp, and has stayed out of the situation since Zuffa purchased Strikeforce earlier this year.

Miss Foxy
08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Ouch!! Poor Fedor.. Wow, all these cuts...:scared0011:

Irish Pride
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, they are cleaning house! I think Fedor would have done good in LHW, but who knows? Dan fights LHW and he couldn't take him.

Miss Foxy
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah, they are cleaning house! I think Fedor would have done good in LHW, but who knows? Dan fights LHW and he couldn't take him.

I agree.. As much as I love Dana I don't like how he is treating Fedor. I can see if Fedor was an *ss, but he's not just sad how this is all going down...

kevint13
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
This was kinda expected...he makes way too much money and there is no way Zuffa would pay him that after 3 losses. I heard that the loser between him and Hendo were likely to get cut because of the amount that they make.

Twinsmama
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
could dana have convinced zuffa to get strikeforce just so he could let fedor go:laugh: (If he holds grudges like his mama you never know:laugh:)

i'm sad for fedor but not surprised. where else can he go and make $? he's probably gonna retire, hope he invested well

cheachea
08-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't respect Dana White. He is the Puff Daddy of MMA.

Miss Foxy
08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
could dana have convinced zuffa to get strikeforce just so he could let fedor go:laugh: (If he holds grudges like his mama you never know:laugh:)

i'm sad for fedor but not surprised. where else can he go and make $? he's probably gonna retire, hope he invested well

BAMMA..

flo
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
“Yeah, he’s being cut,” White confirmed. “You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, I said he was overrated for years.”

Man, that's cold.

I think some of Dana's frustration with not being able to sign Fedor through the years is coming out. He should at least respect what Fedor has done for the sport, IMO. Those words make him look petty and bitter.

Miss Foxy
08-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Man, that's cold.

I think some of Dana's frustration with not being able to sign Fedor through the years is coming out. He should at least respect what Fedor has done for the sport, IMO. Those words make him look petty and bitter.

I agree.. Whole heartedly...:sad:

JavierDLC
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Man, that's cold.

I agree but what can we expect? Dana is a Pr!cK!

Buzzard
08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't respect Dana White. He is the Puff Daddy of MMA.

That gave me a good laugh. I can't take anyone seriously when they call themselves Puff Daddy. That's like calling himself the BJ King.

3dlee
08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
Dana really shouldn't be making disrespectful remarks. Fedor should probably be cut. It's obvious by him being kinda wreckless against Dan the man that he's having real bad confidence issues. I hope Fedor sees a shrink like GSP did, go beat up a couple of washed up nemes and then 1 or 2 relavent names in other orgs for the next 6 months to a year and then gets picked up by the UFC.

3dlee
08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
**OFF SUBJECT** (SO SORRY)
Just realized that I'm a senior member. woot. :happydancing:

F34R
08-05-2011, 02:19 AM
It's things like this that make Dana a douche. I can't stand him 99% of the time because of the things he says. He doesn't hold any respect for anyone.

J.B.
08-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Not sure why anybody is surprised.

Dana had to buyout Strikeforce just to have the power to make this cut. Of course he's happy to give Fedor the axe.

Bonnie
08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Not sure why anybody is surprised.

Dana had to buyout Strikeforce just to have the power to make this cut. Of course he's happy to give Fedor the axe.

Fedor must have been the "cherry on top" of that deal for DW.

Miss Foxy
08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Fedor must have been the "cherry on top" of that deal for DW.

Girl when he got the news of Fedor being KO he was in the mosh pit here in LA!! Beyond ecstatic..I feel bad for the die hard Fedor fans I would never want anyone to treat Matt that way.. :angry: I would go ape!!
But I still like Dana..

Bonnie
08-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Girl when he got the news of Fedor being KO he was in the mosh pit here in LA!! Beyond ecstatic..I feel bad for the die hard Fedor fans I would never want anyone to treat Matt that way.. :angry: I would go ape!!
But I still like Dana..

Even though Dan was my pick for that fight, I felt bad for Fedor. No matter Dana's feelings about Fedor, he could have shown some class and been a bigger, better person by giving Fedor the respect and props he deserves.

I agreed with what you and Amy said about Dana's mama going public, but it doesn't mean mama wasn't speaking truth about her boy! :wink:

I wonder if we could get Ben to tweet Dana and tell him he's worn out the "F-word" so much it's being retired! :laugh:

Miss Foxy
08-05-2011, 06:40 PM

:wink: Sweet!

CAVEMAN
08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Dana got pure enjoyment out of it!!!!!! I hate to see Fedor go, but it's just another sunset on a great career.

flo
08-05-2011, 11:39 PM

About time!

:wink:

Vizion
08-06-2011, 01:34 AM
You can only fight for so long before you lose. Wear and tear wears out even the best fighters. Matt has lost many of his last fights too, and Chuck too.

Dana acts as though Fedor was never anything, but in reality he's bitter he never got to cash in on him while he was on top.

JavierDLC
08-06-2011, 08:34 AM
You can only fight for so long before you lose. Wear and tear wears out even the best fighters. Matt has lost many of his last fights too, and Chuck too.

Dana acts as though Fedor was never anything, but in reality he's bitter he never got to cash in on him while he was on top.

I agree 100%

F34R
08-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Agreed. Perfect explanation.