PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make ice cream?

Mark
07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
I tried this one and I llike it.
http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_recipe_chocolate.htm
Try it and tell me what you think!

flo
07-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I do!! We have a Dovier (http://www.amazon.com/Donvier-837409W-1-Quart-Cream-Maker/dp/B00006484E) hand crank machine. I haven't made any in a while but have been thinking how good it would be with the local fresh strawberries that are out now. That chocolate sounds good too, I'll bookmark the recipe and let you know how it turns out, Mark.

Bonnie
07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
I've never made ice cream--do y'all use rock salt or no?

It looked delicious from the pic.

flo
07-15-2011, 11:53 PM
There's no rock salt with my Dovier, Bonnie. I put the machine in the freezer and when the custard (ice cream recipe) is made, take it out, add the custard and hand crank it until it gets to a good consistency. Then you can freeze whatever you don't eat right away. :happydancing:

It's delish! I have a rum raisin recipe that is as good as Haagen Dazs. :w00t:

TexasRN
07-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I bought the kids an ice cream machine and we tried Paula Dean's recipe for vanilla. It turned out ok but not like what my grandmama made when I was a kid. Of course we hand cranked it back then and us cousins each had to take a turn if we wanted to eat some. I'll have to try this chocolate recipe. Yum!

Bonnie, I do use rock salt for my machine.

~Amy

adamt
07-16-2011, 01:14 AM
are you using goat milk, mark? did you guys get a milkin nanny?

we make it with fresh cow milk and it is especially good.

also, about the rock salt, buy solar salt at your local feed store, or even home supply store.... it is a 50 pound bag of rock salt used for water softners instead of the pellets, it is a little dirtier than store bought rock salt but it is about 1/20th the price

also, i would like to have one of these (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___The_Home_Dairy___Making_Ice_Cream___Port able_Ice_Cream_Trailer_Literature___L43?Args=) to go around to the farmers markets and stuff, so if anyone wants to chip in let me know!

Mac
07-16-2011, 03:47 AM

also, about the rock salt, buy solar salt at your local feed store, or even home supply store.... it is a 50 pound bag of rock salt used for water softners instead of the pellets, it is a little dirtier than store bought rock salt but it is about 1/20th the price

also, i would like to have one of these (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___The_Home_Dairy___Making_Ice_Cream___Port able_Ice_Cream_Trailer_Literature___L43?Args=) to go around to the farmers markets and stuff, so if anyone wants to chip in let me know!

There are a couple fellas that run around this area with a couple Hit and Miss engines like that running ice cream makers . really neat. They will actually be at the findlay walleye festival next weekend.

adamt
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
There are a couple fellas that run around this area with a couple Hit and Miss engines like that running ice cream makers . really neat. They will actually be at the findlay walleye festival next weekend.

kinda makes me wanna got to findlay!

walleye and homemade ice cream!

County Mike
07-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I have an ice cream maker. It's the newer style where you keep the container in the freezer for several hours and electricity churns the ingredients. I usually make protein shake style ice cream but I might have to try out this recipe.

philips4
07-16-2011, 07:54 PM
YUM! I love making homemade ice-cream, we have the old school style hand-crank, I'm thinking those electric ones sound pretty cool though, they work okay? I'll try the recipe and let you know!

Llamafighter
07-16-2011, 08:33 PM
We had the electric one that used rock salt, growing up. I used the hand crank type at Scout Camp one summer and my arm nearly fell off. LOL
Now I jsut buy it from the corner store...

Silverback
07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I tried this one and I llike it.
http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_recipe_chocolate.htm
Try it and tell me what you think!

Been there and done that, tried the recipe the other day at a buddys house, I have to admitt it was pretty good, wished I had more of it but my buddy took the bigger bowl :tongue0011:

Neezar
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I just buy it.

Mark
07-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I just buy it.

Some mom you are.

Neezar
07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Some mom you are.

:irked:
Oh shut up.

DonnaMaria
07-18-2011, 01:16 AM
I just buy it.

I just buy it too! Leaves more time for other things!

Like playing games!!!!:)

Silverback
07-18-2011, 02:10 AM
Some mom you are.

LOL:laugh:

Mark
07-19-2011, 02:17 AM

No milkn goat yet.
Mac told me to use swiss miss hot chocolate. So I put in one package of it in (dark chocolate) tonight and it was really good! Good job Mac!

BamaGrits84
07-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I have an ice cream maker. It's the newer style where you keep the container in the freezer for several hours and electricity churns the ingredients. I usually make protein shake style ice cream but I might have to try out this recipe.

It is pure evil to use an ice cream maker for a health shake!

BamaGrits84
07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Don't worry Neezar, I just buy it too. And it is best bought from Bruster's when mom can get a double scoop of cheese cake ice cream too. Now if someone has a recipe for that let me know.

rearnakedchoke
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
i buy mine too .. sounds like its a big thing, may have to go buy an ice cream maker .. what is the rock salt used for .. i guess i can google it .. lol

Tyburn
07-20-2011, 04:59 PM

HI MAC :happydancing:

Tyburn
07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
:irked:
Oh shut up.

:laugh::laugh:

I dont eat Icecream...its bad for your health :mellow:

I also live in a climate that only scarcely warrents the tempriture where it can be appreciated.

But if I did eat it...I'd buy it...blue brandy snaps put me off cooking anything irregular :ashamed:

TENNESSEAN
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
i buy mine then scoop it in the ice cream maker so my kids think i made it.

Buzzard
07-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Used to make it a long time ago. I think I bought my brother an ice cream maker 20 years or so ago. I'll have to see if he can dig it out and make some up again.

Time to grab a couple scoops of Breyer's Vanilla Fudge Twirl. Yummmmmm.

DonnaMaria
07-20-2011, 10:03 PM
i buy mine then scoop it in the ice cream maker so my kids think i made it.

:laugh:

flo
07-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Mark, I made it tonight and it was scrumptious!!!:w00t: Plus we have enough left over for several days. I used hershey bars since it called for milk chocolate and I whipped the cream (the recipe wasn't real clear on that part). Anyway, we loved it, thanks for sharing the recipe. They're selling local berries now so I'll look in your link for a strawberry recipe...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/floranista/DSC02370.jpg