PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Planet of the Apes

NateR
07-15-2011, 12:33 AM
I saw the trailer for this when I went to go see X-Men: First Class and I actually had no idea it was a Planet of the Apes movie until the logo at the very end. Looks pretty awesome and it's probably the one movie that I am looking forward to the most right now:

http://youtu.be/T3tidwW1gGM

Llamafighter
07-15-2011, 01:30 AM
I saw the trailer for this when I went to go see X-Men: First Class and I actually had no idea it was a Planet of the Apes movie until the logo at the very end. Looks pretty awesome and it's probably the one movie that I am looking forward to the most right now:

what did you think of X-men?

NateR
07-15-2011, 01:33 AM
what did you think of X-men?

It was good. It had absolutely nothing in common with the original comic book though. It didn't even mesh that well with the previous X-Men movies (which is not a bad thing because those movies were all pretty horrible). However, as a stand alone movie, First Class was worth watching.

Llamafighter
07-15-2011, 01:35 AM
It was good. It had absolutely nothing in common with the original comic book though. It didn't even mesh that well with the previous X-Men movies (which is not a bad thing because those movies were all pretty horrible). However, as a stand alone movie, First Class was worth watching.

Good to hear! I'll definitely check it out.

ufcfan2
07-15-2011, 02:55 AM
I was never a Planet of the Apes fan, but seeing this trailer as well I'm gonna go check it out, plus I kindof like James Franco as an actor.

adamt
07-15-2011, 03:00 AM

i saw a commercial for this the other night and about half way through i figured out it was planet of the apes, before i figured it out though i was getting a little upset that it was gonna be some kind of evolution movie, but then it dawned on me and i was impressed more with the stunning effects and realism of the humanlike apes than anything else, by the end of the commercial i definitely wanted to see the movie, though i have never read a book or watched a POTA movie before.

NateR
07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
i was getting a little upset that it was gonna be some kind of evolution movie,

I was thinking about that, but Evolution is supposed to be undirected and random and, based on the trailer, this is definitely not a random, undirected event, so it has nothing in common with Darwinian Evolution. So if someone is trying to use this story as an argument for Evolution, well then the counter-argument pretty much just writes itself.

Buzzard
07-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I was thinking about that, but Evolution is supposed to be undirected and random and, based on the trailer, this is definitely not a random, undirected event, so it has nothing in common with Darwinian Evolution. So if someone is trying to use this story as an argument for Evolution, well then the counter-argument pretty much just writes itself.

Haven't seen the trailer yet and saw the earlier PotA movies as a kid but thought they were meh.

BTW, I believe that you are incorrect in your thoughts about the Theory of Evolution being random. That's not how the scientific world sees it. That is one of the biggest misconceptions about it. That's for another thread though.

adamt
07-15-2011, 11:08 PM

i agree as well, the first half of the commercial had me a little nervous but the second half just had me excited :laugh:

it obviously isn't a subtle evolution propaganda movie....

NateR
07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
New trailer!
http://youtu.be/Sl52gPQ2WjI

Miss Foxy
07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
It looks pretty good. Of course I am a James Franco fan so that helps.. :laugh:

NateR
08-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Watched it today and thought it was awesome! I had to remind myself occasionally that the apes were all computer-generated. The special effects meshed in with the story so well and the story was strong enough that I sometimes forgot I was watching special effects.

I couldn't find any major logical flaws in the plot, they seemed to cover all of their bases pretty well and you can already see the groundwork being laid for the apes to take over the entire planet. Hope to see a sequel soon; but then I've always been a sucker for stories where animals rise up against humans. :cool:

Chuck
08-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Watched it today and thought it was awesome! I had to remind myself occasionally that the apes were all computer-generated. The special effects meshed in with the story so well and the story was strong enough that I sometimes forgot I was watching special effects.

I couldn't find any major logical flaws in the plot, they seemed to cover all of their bases pretty well and you can already see the groundwork being laid for the apes to take over the entire planet. Hope to see a sequel soon; but then I've always been a sucker for stories where animals rise up against humans. :cool:

I just got back from watching it with my family and I enjoyed it. The CGI was awesome. The plot was solid and like you said, they filled in some holes as well as laying some groundwork. I think a sequel would work nicely.

Crisco
08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
REALLY ENJOYED IT.

I'm hoping for a sequel.

Franco did a good job and the apes were epic...

"NO!!!!!!"

County Mike
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Kelli and I watched it Friday night. Really liked it a lot and I only had to make one guy get off his cell phone.

Theater was packed.