03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
:ashamed:

I'm buying a Budgie :laugh:

Llamafighter
03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
:unsure-1: to push babies around in???

TexasRN
03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Pet birds make the house stink. Like a cat's littler box makes the house stink. Can't be helped. As long as you don't mind the smell, great. It'll be a warm, cute, interactive baby living thing for you to keep company. I think it's great.

I bought a bird feeder and hung it on my balcony so I could watch the birds as they come to eat. I like nature. I have a cardinal that has found it and it comes to visit me now. Makes me happy.

~Amy

sasquatch
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't know what a budgie is but, I like birds too.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/richardsevans/chickens025.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/richardsevans/chickens024.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/richardsevans/chickens023.jpg

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 11:20 PM
:unsure-1: to push babies around in???
:blink: What? A Budgie is a little bird :laugh:

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Pet birds make the house stink.
:laugh: I pretty much manage that by myself :laugh:

Oh Amy, it was adorable. I went for a viewing today, there were four of them. A female, but she is yellow and she just wont stop making noises. She squarks...and she'd upset Lauzon with the noise. He panics at sudden movements and loud noises.

I love Lauzon...but he's getting old and dont do much but sit in his box. I cuddle him, but to say he interacts with me much is...stretching it a bit.

The other three were male, to blues, box standard and boring...and this beautiful purple. I was told that they are male, and its young enough to learn to talk. :laugh: I'm going to teach it how to say stuff like "niiiiiiiice" and "Breeeth" then I'll record it and send the result to Pete Sell with my compliments :laugh: :laugh:

I'm gonna call it Jens :w00t:

Bonnie
03-12-2009, 11:26 PM

When will we get to see the little darling? :)

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 03:58 AM
When will we get to see the little darling? :)
tomorrow!!

I am waking up early. I'm going into the woods in the Morning...on my way back...I'm picking up Jens...my new Budgie.

Then I'm gonna start incessently chattering to him until he says something. :laugh:

You know...I can tell you two things he'll pick up quickly "Come On" because thats what I shout when my computer get slow...and...something not so quaint when it crashes...:unsure: if he says the latter...I'll be washing his mouth out with soap :mellow:

My mother says that you can teach them to speak...but you cant teach them to stop speaking what they say, once they've learned it...they just repeat it...like...they dont know what they're saying, they arent always even trying to communicate, they are simply repeating a vocal noise they have heard...and yes...it doesnt always need to be a voice.

She said that she knew a budge that could do such a good impression of a mobile phone, people would check theres everytime it made the noise of a text message arriving hahahahaha

imagine that...and they can live for up to thirty years...imagine a budgie making the noise of a received text on a mobile phone every few moments for thirty years...OMG...I'm so NOT teaching it to say "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice"

He's beautiful! :)

Moose
03-13-2009, 04:28 AM
I love birds. The wild, songbird kind. Raptors too. :)

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 04:55 PM
:w00t: Right...I'm off to go collect Jens The Budgie

hahahaha Lil Budgie :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well its better the Lil Weeble :angry:

County Mike
03-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I used to have an African Grey Parrot. Pretty cool, but not the greatest of pets. I mean, it was cool that he could talk, sing, whistle, etc. However, very noisy and very messy. He literally flung his food across the room and had the ability to shoot his poo several feet. He also would make loud squawking at inappropriate times (early morning, while I'm on the phone, etc.). I eventually gave him away (paid $900 for him plus a few hundred more for the cage, etc.) to someone who I thought would be a better owner.

His name was Pierre.

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I love my Budgie.

When I got him into the cage he flapped hysterically and then he sat on the floor and wouldnt move or anything for about an hour. :unsure-1:

I talked to him incessantly....and slowly he got used to it and started to explore the cage. Thats when he started responding to me. If I said something he would snap his beak, as if he were speaking aswell. He's evidently trying to speak, I think just repeat what he's heard but he's never done it before, so he hasnt spoken yet but his gesticulations are increasing.

first he just twitched his beak...now he's opening it right big so you can see the chasm of his full mouth and throat behind. When he learns to push air out rather then suck in, hell make a noise.

But he's also absolutely knackered...Jens is actually asleep at the moment, his eyes are closed and he wobbles every so often on the pearch, its funny you see his tail acting as a counterballence when he loses Con. He also likes to fluff himself up

he's quite thing and lean but when he's awake he constantly bellows his lungs outward and he goes from slender to positively spherical in shape :laugh:

he has started to cherp a little. but not yet to talk.

I cant wait till he speaks!!

Moose
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
he has started to cherp a little. but not yet to talk.

I cant wait till he speaks!!

Split his tongue, it works for crows.

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Split his tongue, it works for crows.
:scared0015:

I wouldnt dream of it!!!

A few moments ago he let me touch him for the first time...I mean his plumage. I gave him a little stroke and he didnt flap.

He's also stopped shuffling along the perch to get away from me when I put my hands on the side of the cage.

you just got to go verrrrrrra slow. Its in a new environment, its tierd and its probably a little bit frightened aswell

I got him only five hours ago :laugh:

Moose
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
:scared0015:

I wouldnt dream of it!!!

A few moments ago he let me touch him for the first time...I mean his plumage. I gave him a little stroke and he didnt flap.

He's also stopped shuffling along the perch to get away from me when I put my hands on the side of the cage.

you just got to go verrrrrrra slow. Its in a new environment, its tierd and its probably a little bit frightened aswell

I got him only five hours ago :laugh:
Are we talking about a bird or a 14 year old Vietnamese kid?

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Are we talking about a bird or a 14 year old Vietnamese kid?
:) we're talking about a Bird...and yes, its begining to show already a personality distinctly reserved for higher orders of domesticated animals.

Tame Animals seem to take on Human personalities almost. You see it in cats all the time.

I didnt realize but with proper training, you can teach a budgie to not only speak short sentances and rhym, but you can teach it a vocab of words around a hundred, and they can also be taught context.

Jens will learn that when I tell him he is beautiful.. I DONT want him to repeat back to me that I am beautiful. But to understand that what I am saying relates TO Him. That comes much later though...I've only had him about 8 hours :laugh:

To begin with he will only imitate what he hears, and it maybe a while before he speaks....its a slow process...its like teaching a child to read and write...it doesnt happen overnight...first they just stare at you and try and eat the pencil.

Later they learn to use the pencil to write, and when they look at you its for validation. To tell them they are good or they got it wrong. :rolleyes:

TexasRN
03-14-2009, 12:34 AM
:) we're talking about a Bird...and yes, its begining to show already a personality distinctly reserved for higher orders of domesticated animals.

Tame Animals seem to take on Human personalities almost. You see it in cats all the time.

I didnt realize but with proper training, you can teach a budgie to not only speak short sentances and rhym, but you can teach it a vocab of words around a hundred, and they can also be taught context.

Jens will learn that when I tell him he is beautiful.. I DONT want him to repeat back to me that I am beautiful. But to understand that what I am saying relates TO Him. That comes much later though...I've only had him about 8 hours :laugh:

To begin with he will only imitate what he hears, and it maybe a while before he speaks....its a slow process...its like teaching a child to read and write...it doesnt happen overnight...first they just stare at you and try and eat the pencil.

Later they learn to use the pencil to write, and when they look at you its for validation. To tell them they are good or they got it wrong. :rolleyes:

Um Dave, you are going to give your budgie bird anxiety issues. It's like those rich American moms who think Little Johnnie is soooo gifted and sticks him in all the lessons that fill up his day and then he rebels hugely as a teen. Dave, don't make your bird wanna do drugs and have wild sex parties.

~Amy

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Um Dave, you are going to give your budgie bird anxiety issues. It's like those rich American moms who think Little Johnnie is soooo gifted and sticks him in all the lessons that fill up his day and then he rebels hugely as a teen. Dave, don't make your bird wanna do drugs and have wild sex parties.

~Amy
:unsure-1:

I'm gonna go slowly. I promise.

I havent even stroked his head yet. Budgie experts say that it stimulates the birds to learn and listen. Once they get used to it they like it...but to begin with they wont wanna be touched on the head.

I havent even tried. Neither have I tried to pick him up or get him to perch on my hand in the cage yet.

I've really only chatted to him, and got him used to my hands inside the cage and he will let me stroke his plumage chest and back...but he's not convinced yet, not allowing himself to be responsive or enjoy it there...he's just tollerating me touching him...which is a start...because before he'd flutter...or nip...or try and run away.

The first time he shuffled along the perch when he came to the end he nearly fell off...I laughed...GOD forgive me...I laughed :laugh:

TexasRN
03-14-2009, 12:53 AM
:unsure-1:

I'm gonna go slowly. I promise.

I havent even stroked his head yet. Budgie experts say that it stimulates the birds to learn and listen. Once they get used to it they like it...but to begin with they wont wanna be touched on the head.

I havent even tried. Neither have I tried to pick him up or get him to perch on my hand in the cage yet.

I've really only chatted to him, and got him used to my hands inside the cage and he will let me stroke his plumage chest and back...but he's not convinced yet, not allowing himself to be responsive or enjoy it there...he's just tollerating me touching him...which is a start...because before he'd flutter...or nip...or try and run away.

The first time he shuffled along the perch when he came to the end he nearly fell off...I laughed...GOD forgive me...I laughed :laugh:

I'm teasing you Dave. I am glad you have that little bird to be company for you in your life. What are you going to do with it when you come to the States?

~Amy

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I'm teasing you Dave. I am glad you have that little bird to be company for you in your life. What are you going to do with it when you come to the States?

~Amy
:mellow: I'm going to give it to Mother. She has a room at the top of the house free from the cat...its where she kept Lauzon when I traveled to London for UFC85

:laugh: I love him. :laugh:

TexasRN
03-14-2009, 03:02 AM
:mellow: I'm going to give it to Mother. She has a room at the top of the house free from the cat...its where she kept Lauzon when I traveled to London for UFC85

:laugh: I love him. :laugh:

I'm so glad Binky. Pets are so much fun. I don't have any pets right now. At all.

~Amy

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm so glad Binky. Pets are so much fun. I don't have any pets right now. At all.

~Amy
:ninja: Your a bit early for Saint Patricks day Amy...Its not til the 16-17thish

This morning at 6am when it got light, Jens began to sing, must have only been for about 15mins. I woke up hearing my budgie singing it was fantastic, but I didnt want to go out into the room because I thought he'd get self con and stop. So I pretended I couldnt hear.

He also sings if he hears a bird outside. I got that on film, but havent uploaded it yet :laugh:

He's learned to use my finger as a pearch with both feet which is the first sign he trusts me not to drop him or hurt him. When he starts to come to me when I first put my fingers in the cage...or hop onto my finger rather then gingerly and kinda unwittingly moving slowly..I will be able to let him out of the cage. That apparently is the first sign of trust...the first time the bird has been conditioned and of its own free will helps with the handling process...can take a while though. He's still looking outside more then looking at me, he hasnt finished getting used to the cage. He is slightly more relaxed, he's started to prune and stretch properly...rather then sort of be frightened to move...it just takes time :ninja:

I post the first two videos of him (they are both about 30seconds long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxm4GffKbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIDc98xDEo0

TexasRN
03-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh Binky, he is so cute!! It'll be fun to see a video of him talking when you get him to that point.

I like St Patrick's Day, I look forward to March holidays all year. They are silly but fun. There's the Ides of March, the 15th for those who don't know, St Patrick's Day, this year I got a Friday the 13th, and then my birthday is March 25th. So it's chock full of things for me to celebrate. So let me have my fun. I will be wearing green on the 17th with a green bead necklace and a green shamrock pin to work.

~Amy

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh Binky, he is so cute!! It'll be fun to see a video of him talking when you get him to that point.

I like St Patrick's Day, I look forward to March holidays all year. They are silly but fun. There's the Ides of March, the 15th for those who don't know, St Patrick's Day, this year I got a Friday the 13th, and then my birthday is March 25th. So it's chock full of things for me to celebrate. So let me have my fun. I will be wearing green on the 17th with a green bead necklace and a green shamrock pin to work.

~Amy

We'll I'll let you see the video of him singing...it was right funny because as I downloaded it I accidently pressed play on the video...Jens responded to his own singing on the video by...singing in response :blink:

It got his attention and he started jumping up and down and flapping his wings and singing...THATS the level of communication I need to have with him in order that he respond to me, as he would on hearing another bird

we're a LONG way off that. This will take weeks and months of repetition. I have found that by drawing the curtain I can stop him looking out of the window and finding other birds by sight...so now he's looking at me coz he got nowt else to interest him.

Thats quite the idea. Its a learning curve for me aswell...i've never taught another living thing how to speak. I just keep two things going. background noise (talking from myself, and from TV, and music...this will get him used to human sounds generically...Humans sound different from birds, he's very tuned into hearing for Birds...I have to tune him into listening to human sounds)

The other thing is practising handling him. I slip my hand in the cage and put my finger out against the perch, then I raise my fingers under the claws that he is gripping the pearch, so I can get my finger between perch and claw, he should move from one to the other, sometimes he tries to go sideways, if I move to fast...sometimes he wont release his full grip on the pearch, there are two claws at the front, one at the back...he likes to at present keep that back claw around the base of the pearch rather then my finger..it enables him to step back if he feels I'm moving to fast. Once he's on my finger I move him about in the cage slowly, then I deposit him back onto the pearch in the reverse...so his back claw comes into contact with the pearch and latches on, then as I drop my finger he steps back onto it.

He's getting the idea :rolleyes:

Tyburn
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRe6JO65oXc

I CANT play this video it gets him hysterical :laugh:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 02:57 AM
:) Jens is getting to feel safe in my company. The poor little budgie wasnt trying to mimick me when it was moving its beak like I said in the video

Jens was yawning because he was tiered...but he wouldnt go to sleep whilst I was in the room. He'd wobble on his pearch his eyes closing for longer and longer, and then bam...he'd flash them open.

Well tonight he's gone to sleep three times. I think its light sleep because if I start moving or talking he wakes to quick...but he's trying to sleep...I know this because he's folded his head back ...almost 180 degrees and is lying it on top of his back wings. His head is burried in his body.

to do that means that he's finally started to relax, and thinks its alright to sleep with my typing away at the keyboard. Its a sign of his growing confidence that I am safe...that he trusts me not to hurt him whilst he's asleep...he's absolutely, utterly adorable when he's asleep...he wobbles and moves a whole lot more coz his centre of gravity has shifted backwards

...I saw him fall off his pearch this morning... :laugh: he was creeping along it and when he got to the end he kept creeping and with a sudden squark realized there was no more pearch :laugh: :laugh:

Neezar
03-16-2009, 05:03 AM
You still got your rats?

MattHughesRocks
03-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Oh no I forgot about the rats.Dave don't rats eat birds? :unsure-1:

Bonnie
03-16-2009, 06:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRe6JO65oXc

I CANT play this video it gets him hysterical :laugh:

He's pretty! I like his dress blues! :laugh:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
You still got your rats?
:rolleyes: Yes, I've still got Lauzon my pig in a cage on the other side of the room:ninja:

Tyburn
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
He's pretty! I like his dress blues! :laugh:
:w00t: he's such a beautiful little budgie, he can puff himself up and he swells to twice his size just by pushing his feathers up...its so strange when he suddenly deflates :laugh:

Still hasnt spoke yet though :unsure-1:

Blade
03-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Disgusting. Birds belong in the skies and the trees, not in a cage or on your sofa.

Tyburn
03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Disgusting. Birds belong in the skies and the trees, not in a cage or on your sofa.
Budgies you wont find in the sky. They dont have the stamina to fly far, they usually just hop around, sorta jump with wings...they are a form of parrot, known as a parrakeet. There is nothing disgusting about buying and caring for a Budgie.

The are one of the oldest domesticated pets in the world. After all, do you think Christ could buy a puppie or a kitten at the market where he illustrated Intrinsic Value using the sale of birds...?

Nevermind...your unlikely to be familiar with the scripture I'm talking about anyway.

btw...I think your Pepito :ninja:

que
03-18-2009, 05:04 AM
i like some birds, but generally i think of them as little, hollow, crunchy things that fly around and sh*t on everything (which is true if you think about it)

my favorite bird is the loon, for the sound it makes

Miss Foxy
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Disgusting. Birds belong in the skies and the trees, not in a cage or on your sofa. LMAO!! Oh my goodness. I can't believe this bird thread has lasted so long!! :laugh:

Llamafighter
03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
:w00t: he's such a beautiful little budgie, he can puff himself up and he swells to twice his size just by pushing his feathers up...its so strange when he suddenly deflates :laugh:

Still hasnt spoke yet though :unsure-1:

Budgie video!!!

Tyburn
03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Budgie video!!!
I have one of him stretching his neck...see Jens sleeps with him head folded back, so during the Evening he spends a while stretching it the other way. It cracks me up coz he looks so funny...I'll upload it today or tommorow :w00t:

Blade
03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Budgies you wont find in the sky. They dont have the stamina to fly far, they usually just hop around, sorta jump with wings...they are a form of parrot, known as a parrakeet. There is nothing disgusting about buying and caring for a Budgie.

The are one of the oldest domesticated pets in the world. After all, do you think Christ could buy a puppie or a kitten at the market where he illustrated Intrinsic Value using the sale of birds...?

Nevermind...your unlikely to be familiar with the scripture I'm talking about anyway.

btw...I think your Pepito :ninja:

Don't be ridiculous. Go to Australia and I guarantee you will see flocks of budgies in the skies. Your budgie only hops around and doesn't do much because he's domesticated and in an entirely unnatural setting, which is exactly my point. Birds don't belong in people's houses, they are not domestic pets. They should be outside flying around. And I don't care what the bible says about the sale of birds.

And you called him Jens? Is that because he has a wonky eye? Or is it because he keeps falling off his perch? :tongue0011:

Tyburn
03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Don't be ridiculous. Go to Australia and I guarantee you will see flocks of budgies in the skies. Your budgie only hops around and doesn't do much because he's domesticated and in an entirely unnatural setting, which is exactly my point. Birds don't belong in people's houses, they are not domestic pets. They should be outside flying around. And I don't care what the bible says about the sale of birds.

And you called him Jens? Is that because he has a wonky eye? Or is it because he keeps falling off his perch? :tongue0011:
:laugh: I doubt you care what the Bible says about anything Blade, that will be your downfall, not mine. I take great interest in it. I love my Budgie, the ARE domesticated pets.

There is nothing wrong with Jens eyes (niether the fighter, nor the bird, just coz he has two different coloured eyes, thats just a genetic rareity) I did however see Jens the Budgie fall off his pearch. When he was getting used to the cage he missjudged the amount of pearch he had, and whilst he was creeping away from the edge of the cage, his little claw went out to grab a pearch that had ended, there was a bit of flapping, a squark, and he unceremoniously landed on the pearch below :laugh: