PDA

View Full Version : The Suicidal jumper who just cant kill himself!

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Man survives Niagara Falls plunge

A man has survived a 180ft plunge over Niagara Falls and then resisted rescuers' efforts to pull him from the icy water, police said.

The man, believed to be in his late 30s, was semiconscious when he was rescued and taken to a hospital in Niagara Falls, Canada.

His condition was not immediately known.

Niagara Parks Police Chief Doug Kane said the man was suffering from hypothermia and a head injury. Police were unable to get any information from the man because of the effects of the near-freezing water.

Asked if the man was trying to kill himself, Mr Kane said: ‘He voluntarily entered into the water and refused medical assistance at the bottom.’

A witness called police telling them a man had jumped into the Horseshoe Falls on the Niagara's Canadian side. A short time later, he was seen near the base of the falls.

Specially trained rescue crews tried to assist the man but he swam away from them toward the middle of the river, Mr Kane said.

A private helicopter from Niagara Falls Helicopter was called in and got close to the victim. Wind from the aircraft's blades forced enough of a current to push him closer to shore where rescuers could get to him.

‘He wasn't co-operative,’ the pilot, Ruedi Hafen, owner of Niagara Falls Helicopter, said. ‘He didn't try to be helpful. We had a sling on him and he got out of it.’

Mr Hafen said the man had a "big gashing injury" on his head. ‘He was on a suicide mission, I assume,’ Mr Hafen said. ‘I've never, in my career, seen someone so tough, swimming between the ice.’

Crisco
03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Girlfriend probably dumped him

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I used to live in a small town in Missouri and in one of the neighboring towns, there was a man who shot himself through the mouth with a gun (not sure what type), but he survived. He looks, weird, to say the least.

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Girlfriend probably dumped him
there must be easier ways then throwing yourself off a waterfall. What a dissapointment it must have been to fall ONEHUNDREDEIGHTY Feet and discover nothing much at the bottom.

if he wanted to fall...there are buildings that guarentee an express delivery to Judgement...and if he wanted to drown, doesnt he have a bathtub and a nearby pharmacy?

But Going to the Falls, and then not managing to kill yourself in such a stunt. Wow...thats actually embarrising :unsure:

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I used to live in a small town in Missouri and in one of the neighboring towns, there was a man who shot himself through the mouth with a gun (not sure what type), but he survived. He looks, weird, to say the least.
:blink: accidently go through his cheek per chance?? :huh:

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
:blink: accidently go through his cheek per chance?? :huh:
I believe it went out of the back of his skull. Didn't know the guy personally, but saw him once.

MattHughesRocks
03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I've heard of a guy that was found on his hands and knees feeling around for his gun already a bloody mess. He put the gun in such a way he pretty much just blew his eyes out and was trying to find the gun to do it right :blink:

Primadawn
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM

I grew up in a small town in Missouri--what was yours called?

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I believe it went out of the back of his skull. Didn't know the guy personally, but saw him once.
That should have killed him, or at least blinded him...I say that because the Limbic Structure is actually from the base of the spine up. Thats the part that uncon controls things like breathing and Homestasis. Right at the front is the personality and the chemical creating parts...and in between the two at the back is the visual cortex, and centres for speach and movement and control.

Not that I'm an expert. :mellow:

County Mike
03-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I read about the waterfall guy at cnn.com this morning. Sounds like a pretty exciting way to go - or not go since he survived it. Now he has an awesome story to tell.

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
That should have killed him, or at least blinded him...I say that because the Limbic Structure is actually from the base of the spine up. Thats the part that uncon controls things like breathing and Homestasis. Right at the front is the personality and the chemical creating parts...and in between the two at the back is the visual cortex, and centres for speach and movement and control.

Not that I'm an expert. :mellow:
Pssshhhh, that's such a crappy explanation Dave! I honestly expected more out of you! :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
I grew up in a small town in Missouri--what was yours called?
I'm from Bethany, Missouri. It's the midpoint of KCMO and Des Moines on I-35 about 20 miles south of the IA border. You?

Primadawn
03-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I'm from Bethany, Missouri. It's the midpoint of KCMO and Des Moines on I-35 about 20 miles south of the IA border. You?

OH--totally different area...Steelville--about 90 miles SW of STL.

rockdawg21
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
OH--totally different area...Steelville--about 90 miles SW of STL.
Yeah, I think I'm the only one from that area of the state who posts on here, lol

Irish Pride
03-12-2009, 10:51 PM
My friend commited suicide 8 years ago today. I'm sorry this person is going through such a harsh time in his life that he feels this is the only solution. I am saddened by those of you that felt the need to joke and laugh about the horrible and heartbreaking decision he made.

Tyburn
03-12-2009, 11:17 PM
:unsure-1: ...sorry :sad:

Miss Foxy
03-12-2009, 11:36 PM
My friend commited suicide 8 years ago today. I'm sorry this person is going through such a harsh time in his life that he feels this is the only solution. I am saddened by those of you that felt the need to joke and laugh about the horrible and heartbreaking decision he made. Im sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and understand how you feel. I lost someone very dear to my heart 12yrs ago he committed suicide on Christmas Eve. The pain of losing someone to suicide is awful. I wish you the best. xoxo

Deerstabber
03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
I will probably get booed and hissed at for this but, I have to say it and its just my opinion. People that kill themselves are selfish. You should feel no remorse for that individual. They didnt think of anybodies feelings but there own. If they would have came and talked to you (their FRIEND) then you could have talked them out of it, But they didnt and know their gone poor them. Bye the way I had a friend take his own life.

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I will probably get booed and hissed at for this but, I have to say it and its just my opinion. People that kill themselves are selfish. You should feel no remorse for that individual. They didnt think of anybodies feelings but there own. If they would have came and talked to you (their FRIEND) then you could have talked them out of it, But they didnt and know their gone poor them. Bye the way I had a friend take his own life.
They are also unwell in the head. No sane individual wants to kill themselves. Let us not forget that these people who attempt or succeed are not thinking logically, are not seeing the truth. I dont know how responsible for their actions they are.

They are ill, they dont want to be talked out of it, they dont want to know the truth. If your friend avoided you, perhaps its precisely for the reason that he knew you would try and stop him. :ninja: Its because you were a friend, its because you cared...not a snub saying you didnt care enough, or that there was no trust. Quite the opposite I suspect.

KevinD
03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
My brother jumped those same very Falls in Niagara 9 years ago. They never found his body. Yes it is extremely sad that people are so distraught that they take there own lives. I know as a family, we have never and will never get over something like this.

I watched the video of this guy jumping, and felt extremely sad.

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 02:32 PM
My brother jumped those same very Falls in Niagara 9 years ago. They never found his body. Yes it is extremely sad that people are so distraught that they take there own lives. I know as a family, we have never and will never get over something like this.

I watched the video of this guy jumping, and felt extremely sad.
:huh: Really?

I would never have thought of it as a method, thats why it shocked me when I first read it and posted it. I thought it sounded a bit...of an unusual way to attempt something like that.

sorry if I've upset you :unsure-1:

County Mike
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM

I'm booing you right now. Every situation is different. While some suicides might be out of selfish motives, I can assure you that's not true in every case. Someone on here just mentioned a loved one that committed suicide. Try to be a little more sensitive before posting something like that.

KevinD
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
:huh: Really?

I would never have thought of it as a method, thats why it shocked me when I first read it and posted it. I thought it sounded a bit...of an unusual way to attempt something like that.

sorry if I've upset you :unsure-1:

Dave I live minutes away from the Falls. Many many local people have gone over those falls as a means to suicide. Most bodies are not found. They get pinned against the rocks or caught in the whirlpool. My wife used to work at a tourist spot in the Falls and numerous times had to call the authorities because of seeing a body on the river.

A guy I work with also is a diver that recovers bodies in the river. The stories are horrific. Its sad. Extremely sad.

Miss Foxy
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I will probably get booed and hissed at for this but, I have to say it and its just my opinion. People that kill themselves are selfish. You should feel no remorse for that individual. They didnt think of anybodies feelings but there own. If they would have came and talked to you (their FRIEND) then you could have talked them out of it, But they didnt and know their gone poor them. Bye the way I had a friend take his own life. Obviously something in they're life made them feel they had no feelings in order to end they're own life...So you lost a friend as well to suicide and don't feel any remorse? Why would you now it was only your friend? Someone who's pain was intolerable right? If that friend would have called you would you have shown him the same cold feelings your exhibiting here?

Deerstabber
03-13-2009, 03:44 PM
You have a choice GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! Weak people get out. Strong people get thru it. Its nature! The only reason taking your own life is acceptable, Terminal illnes! The rest are just wussies takin easy street!
Answer this: What in this world is worth taking your own life?

Moose
03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
You have a choice GET OVER IT OR GET OUT! Weak people get out. Strong people get thru it. Its nature! The only reason taking your own life is acceptable, Terminal illnes! The rest are just wussies takin easy street!

You should've quit a few posts ago. Keep swingin' for the fences champ, someday you'll hit one out!

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Dave I live minutes away from the Falls. Many many local people have gone over those falls as a means to suicide. Most bodies are not found. They get pinned against the rocks or caught in the whirlpool. My wife used to work at a tourist spot in the Falls and numerous times had to call the authorities because of seeing a body on the river.

A guy I work with also is a diver that recovers bodies in the river. The stories are horrific. Its sad. Extremely sad.
:blink:

I've never considered it...but then I suppose without being or living near there you never would. Before I worked at Saint Paul's Cathedral, I never would have thought someone would have considered jumping from one of the Galleries as a method of Suicide...I mean, its an indoor fall, not an outside fall...you cant fall far from an outside Gallery because of the shape of the dome, you'd just end up brused and trapped in a nook on the roof.

but jumping the 90 feet from the indoor Whispering Gallery...You fall and land..well it depends which side you jump. If you jump west/south/north you'd land smack in the middle of the Dome area. If you jumped in the East, you'd land on the dais infront of the Altar.

There has been at least two jumpers since the Wren Cathedral opened. One within the last 18 years, Mid 1990s I think. Guy came in. Bought ticket to dome, climbed up the stair and didnt even pause, came right out onto the Gallery and jumped the rail right next to the Steward on duty who bearly saw him before he'd lept over. Came crashing down on the North side...impailed himself on the chairs below in the Dome.

My Friend, and collegue (Charles Williams) a Senior Virger, my personal confidente during my Tenure, and the Land Lord of the Lay Community for its entire 6 year History...he was the guy who had to go and...erm...check for a pulse :mellow:

:cry:

Moose
03-13-2009, 04:54 PM
:blink:

I've never considered it...but then I suppose without being or living near there you never would. Before I worked at Saint Paul's Cathedral, I never would have thought someone would have considered jumping from one of the Galleries as a method of Suicide...I mean, its an indoor fall, not an outside fall...you cant fall far from an outside Gallery because of the shape of the dome, you'd just end up brused and trapped in a nook on the roof.

but jumping the 90 feet from the indoor Whispering Gallery...You fall and land..well it depends which side you jump. If you jump west/south/north you'd land smack in the middle of the Dome area. If you jumped in the East, you'd land on the dais infront of the Altar.

There has been at least two jumpers since the Wren Cathedral opened. One within the last 18 years, Mid 1990s I think. Guy came in. Bought ticket to dome, climbed up the stair and didnt even pause, came right out onto the Gallery and jumped the rail right next to the Steward on duty who bearly saw him before he'd lept over. Came crashing down on the North side...impailed himself on the chairs below in the Dome.

My Friend, and collegue (Charles Williams) a Senior Virger, my personal confidente during my Tenure, and the Land Lord of the Lay Community for its entire 6 year History...he was the guy who had to go and...erm...check for a pulse :mellow:

:cry:

If a man gets impaled on chairs on my watch, let's just say I won't check for a pulse. I'll just call the authorities and tell them we have a jumper that's either DRT or DAO. They'll understand.

MattHughesRocks
03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I live in the bay area of Calif and they are about to spend millions and millions on some sort of net, or blocking device to stop people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. I say save the money and let them jump if they want to.There are a bunch of other bridges and cliffs into the ocean around here they can jump from. I doubt that building something on the one will stop someone determined.I just hate that we all have to pay for it with our tax money.

Miss Foxy
03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I live in the bay area of Calif and they are about to spend millions and millions on some sort of net, or blocking device to stop people from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. I say save the money and let them jump if they want to.There are a bunch of other bridges and cliffs into the ocean around here they can jump from. I doubt that building something on the one will stop someone determined.I just hate that we all have to pay for it with our tax money.
Yeah what a waste of money... I used to live in San Diego and the Coronado Bridge was notorious for suicides. :frantics:

NateR
03-13-2009, 06:17 PM

That's one of those, "If you didn't think your life could get any worse, well you were wrong!" kind of situations. :laugh:

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 06:18 PM
If a man gets impaled on chairs on my watch, let's just say I won't check for a pulse. I'll just call the authorities and tell them we have a jumper that's either DRT or DAO. They'll understand.
I dont think Charles knew what to do.

I'm not sure I would if I were floating around Church Floor and someone fell 90feet onto a set of Chairs.

Needless to say the guy was dead. The reconsecrated the Building. There are some places you shouldnt comitt suicide...INSIDE A CHURCH is one of them. But then in 2005 I went to interview for the position of Virger in York Minster

They had a vacancy when one of their Virgers threw himself from the West Tower right before Communion on a Sunday Morning :mellow:

Tyburn
03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Life is a terminal illness.

Why should you be allowed to die when you know the date is not far off? I mean...how does that change anything...your gonna die at the end of your life anyway.

THAT is avoiding something you cant control, by trying to control it. Rather then actually living through it....its just a selfish, and just another easy way out because you cant stand the pain...and want dignity in death...WTF death is not supposed to be dignified!!

Answer this...what is so good about living :huh:

Jason 16
03-13-2009, 09:18 PM
same thing happend around here